Hing Kee Restaurant is a traditional Chinese coffee shop located on the left hand side of China Street in Penang. For those who are not familiar with this part of George Town, China Street is directly opposite the Goddess of Mercy Temple (Kuan Yin Teng).

This restaurant serves mainly chu char home-cooked style dishes and it is also open on Sundays.

For the first dish we chose to have the Kui Kau Curry Tumis. The fresh pieces of fish are cooked in the appetizing tamarind gravy with lots of lady fingers and tomatoes. The  taste is less sourish and not as oily compared to those that we had at Sin Kheng Aun Restaurant.

img_8671.jpg

I recommend you to try this very unusual dish of Kangkung Ham Har. So far this is my first encounter with this dish. I would not have known about it if not introduced by the owner. The kangkung is blanched and served with fried minced Ham Har which really brings out the flavor for this dish. It has some dried prawns and fried garlic, very flavorful and slightly salty.

img_8654.jpg

Just love this tasty and simple vegetable dish

We got ourselves the old time favorite home-cooked dish of Mui Choy Pork Belly. The preserved Mui Choy  (dried salted veggie) has a light taste and goes well with the pieces of pork belly. It’s a favorite dish of mine and I think it is for many of you too!

img_8668.jpg

Typical dish of Mui Choy Chu Yoke commonly serve in most household

There are variations of Tau Fu dishes and we had the Tau Fu with Fish, which is a combination of smooth tau fu and fish slices cooked in bean paste (tau cheong) gravy. The gravy tasted good with the sweetness from the fish. Great dish to go with rice.

img_8658.jpg

The shop serves certain boiled beverages. We got ourselves some chrysanthemum tea and nutmeg. The drinks together with the dishes cost around RM37.

If you wish to try out the above dishes, do drop in to this shop which is located three houses away from the junction of China Street/King Street. Click here for the Map Location. It is low in profile with only a single stall selling Chee Cheong Chok.

Kedai Makanan Hing Kee
60 China Street
10200 Penang

Closed on Monday

Business Hour : Lunch till dinner hour

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, August 3rd, 2009 at 11:42 am and is filed under Chinese, Chu Char, George Town, Non-Halal, Penang, Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

another home-cooked like place for nice dining. Normally we get tofu with minced pork, rarely see tofu with fish ya!

August 3rd, 2009 at 1:04 pm

eh this is the place selling chee cheong chok right? heard that they have chu char also. i’m drooling at the mui choy kao yok! :)

August 3rd, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Wah lau …. When I am there, sure no mercy anymore. How to tahan with that kind of curry? Asam pedas is my fav!

August 3rd, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Their chu char is very cheap leh. And the soup served is nice too. I told cariso about this shop too. Their chicken is nice as well. ^-^

August 3rd, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Can tell directly how unusual the kangkung is. Must give a try someday :)

August 3rd, 2009 at 2:45 pm

SimpleGirl – Tofu with fish…a new and nice taste.

lingzie – That’s the Chee Cheong Chok stall that you visited and I have link the stall to your blog too.

email2me – You sure have plenty of places to try out on your coming visit.

FoOd PaRaDiSe – Would sure to try out the soup and chicken…thanks for the info.

Selba – Indeed different and I have not come across it till now.

August 3rd, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I love mui choi! I think you love it too because I saw you ordering it before in other posts of other restaurants! :) Hi-5!

August 3rd, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I will definitely put my hands esp 4 the “mui choy kau yoke” one of those authentic food that seems to vanish soon! :)

August 3rd, 2009 at 4:46 pm

My dad’s fav! U should order the chic drumstick in herbs too! darn soft and tasty!!

August 3rd, 2009 at 4:49 pm

iamthewitch – A very high Hi-5…you are indeed following my blog closely lor.

Big Boys Oven – Yup…I like this dish as it goes well with rice and porridge.

thenomadGourmand – Must go for the chicken drumstick on next visit…didn’t know they have so many yummy dishes…thanks for sharing.

August 3rd, 2009 at 5:13 pm

wow… the food looks good leh… very home cook feel. :)

August 3rd, 2009 at 9:33 pm

ham har? one glance and I thought that kangkung was the sotong kangkung variety, with peanut sauce.

August 4th, 2009 at 8:10 am
Kaqi Hung

Let me add a few words about this place, it used to sell the best chee cheong chok and char siew since pre war and till the 70′s.

August 4th, 2009 at 9:29 am

would like to try the “rare” kangkung ham har.

August 4th, 2009 at 9:52 am

curry looks really good!!!

August 4th, 2009 at 11:05 am

everything looks simple but delicious. The kangkung is something unusual for sure!

August 4th, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I am hungry and want that curry fish and also kangkung..hahahah

August 5th, 2009 at 11:47 am
tanlh

This place has been around for more than 50 years when I was still a kid.The dishes mentioned were from the good old days except for the curry which is a new addition.It used to be run by a group of Cantonese men from China,and served mainly Cantonese dishes.During those days,customers will have to sit by surrounding coffee shops to have lunch as its shop were always packed.Its customers were from the commercial district nearby Beach street.

August 5th, 2009 at 1:10 pm

NKOTB – It has very home cooked taste too, especially the mui choy.

J2Kfm – The look is quite similar but taste vast difference.

Kaqi Hung – There is still a chee cheong chok stall but not sure if it is the same one that you mentioned.

foodbin – It’s a must try, you might like it and might not.

Duckie – Less sourish…and appetizing.

buzzingbee – Must try to see if you like it or not.

Satisfyingtummy – Worth trying those two dishes.

tanlh – It is nice of you sharing the bit history of the restaurant with us. Will go again to try other dishes.

August 6th, 2009 at 12:57 am
taukwa

CK, what is ham har?

August 6th, 2009 at 11:51 am

taukwa – According to the owner, Ham Har is basically preserved shrimps. They added extra ingredients into it to create the taste that they want. On its own, the preserved shrimps is not so tasty.

August 6th, 2009 at 2:05 pm
taukwa

i see, ham har sounds like salted prawns in cantonese. thanks CK.

August 7th, 2009 at 11:57 am

I love this place and especially their fish taufu.
We visit them at least a few times on every trip we make to Penang.

August 12th, 2009 at 6:32 pm
Joyce Loh

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great comment about the place. really appreciate it. Hope to see you guys here soon ^^

October 19th, 2009 at 7:28 pm
Joyce Loh

Opsss.. forgotten to add. <>

October 19th, 2009 at 7:42 pm
emilylah

the best of the best chu char.. taste super with affordable price!

October 19th, 2009 at 10:45 pm
Helen

Kangkung Ham Har at Heng Kee is a special dish which I love! last time when as a child I used to eat this dish because it was cheap about
30cts per dish for dinner. I used to live at King Street. Thanks for sharing because I thought this dish no longer exists any more. One of these days must drop by to try this dish again.

January 20th, 2010 at 10:00 am

One Trackback/Ping

1. Penang Curry Mee - Peace & Joy Coffee Shop in China Street | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Oct 04 2009 / 10pm:

[...] Peace & Joy Coffee Shop located in China Street/King Street has a stall selling delicious curry mee in Penang! Generally, the curry mee soup itself is very flavorful, while the ingredients top it off beautifully. I noticed this coffee shop on my first chu char visit in the nearby Kedai Makanan Heng Kee. [...]