We had some nourishing porridge for dinner last night at Sin Geylang. The shop on Macalister Road (opposite Red Rock Hotel) specializes in claypot porridge, serve with dishes for lunch and dinner. The texture of the porridge was smooth, quite thick and topped with chopped spring onions with a dash of oil.

dpp_0322.jpg

Steaming hot pot of plain porridge

dpp_0345.jpg

We ordered a number of dishes to go along with the porridge. The interesting dish that we had was a plate of steam frog (tin gai). It was steamed to tenderness with kei chee (Chinese wolfberries), ginger and chili padi. A spoonful of the gravy with all the subtle taste of the ingredients goes very well with the porridge. All of us loved the gravy.

dpp_0341.jpg

Two meaty frog cost RM20

A dish that most of us liked was the Fried Egg with Chai Por (preserved radish) @RM5. The Chai Por was fried till fragrant and its salty and sour taste combined well with the egg.

dpp_0340.jpg

We had a fried Black Promphet @RM24. The deep fried crispy fish was drizzle with soy sauce with a hint of ginger…indeed a delicious flavor for the plain porridge.

dpp_0324.jpg

In Penang there are quite a number of places that serves porridge and this is one of the places where we do enjoyed the porridge and home styled dishes the way we would do at home. You can also order rice to go with the dishes besides the porridge. We paid RM56 for the meal with glasses of Loh Hon Koh drinks @RM1.50 each. Click here for the Map Location.

Sin Geylang Kedai Makanan Dan Minuman
87 Macalister Road
10400 Penang

Tel : 016 4211206

Business Hour : 12pm – 3pm and 6pm – 11pm

Closed on Wednesday

**Updated  August 2010** – This eatery has since shifted to 22 Krian Road, on the same side as 8-row.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 at 12:24 pm and is filed under Chinese, George Town, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Porridge. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

oh this reminds me of the Gelyang Frog Porridge in Singapore….. I am game for it!

August 11th, 2009 at 1:20 pm

love the fried eggs with chai poh-my fave! had Teow porridge last Sunday.

August 11th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

love the fried eggs with chai poh-my fave! had Teow porridge last Sunday.
Sorry… forgot to say great post – can’t wait to read your next one!

August 11th, 2009 at 4:07 pm

i love frog porridge! i had it once in singapore geylang too. :D but but, once i think about how the frog is skinned…i feel disgusted…

August 11th, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I thought is Kung Po frog~~

August 11th, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Have always, always loved claypot frog porridge. My virgin experience was at this place at Macalister Road but once I discovered the other one on Dato Keramat Road (next to Patchee Bakery), I was hooked on the latter. Sorry but this one had to take a back-seat. Plus the fact that the one at Dato Keramat is open till 2am! :)

Needless to say, the claypot frog porridge at Lorong 9 in Geylang S’pore is one of my must-visit places when I am in Lion City. I’d say the one we have in Penang is equally good as the Lorong 9 star.

Can’t say the same for the frog porridge at Chinatown SG though. They do not serve the porridge in claypots and their porridge is not as thick. Tried it one time, wouldn’t go back ever.

Go Claypot Frog Porridge! :D

August 11th, 2009 at 5:51 pm

The steamed frog with chili and ginger is our favourite and the kung po frog too! The gravy goes so well with the pain porridge.

August 11th, 2009 at 5:56 pm

hahahaha,.. i just went to another claypot frog porridge too… but that’s not on the island but mainland instead.

August 11th, 2009 at 5:57 pm

nice claypot porridge, i love this typw of teow chew porridge with chai por, superb!!!!

August 11th, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I’m drooling at the pot of porridge! Thanks for sharing :)

August 11th, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Yup BBOven is right, just like Geylang Frog Porridge. Must be some association they had with geylang. Love that chai por omelette, I always love this and actually had porridge tonight and ordered chai por omelette but they dont serve. At least I gotta see the pic tonight.

August 11th, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Big Boys Oven – I knew that…saw your review.

foodbin – Can’t get enough of it too.

xin – It’s better trying not to think about it.

mimid3vils – I had the steamed ones…good kung poh version is good at http://www.what2seeonline.com/2008/07/frog-porridge-penang/

Eleen – I did a review on the Dato Kramat too…their kung poh frog leg is good.

August 12th, 2009 at 12:02 am

allie – I will go for the kung po frog on next visit.

NKOTB – Hope to see your review soon…

SimpleGirl – Glad you like it too.

Cheryl – Do try it out when you feel like having something light.

jencooks – Haha…proves that the chai por omelette is a sellable item.

August 12th, 2009 at 12:07 am
Sharon Chuah

My 1st visit to the macalister Rd. frog porridge is terrible BAD experience. The froggie meat is so chewable till i can’t even eat/swallow the whole piece. Yet, it is so expensive and small portion. Once i experienced the newly opened Dato Keramat Road (next to Patchee Bakery) Ah Nam claypot Frog porridge, I love IT!. Normally i will order one porridge with frog inside, then one non spicy kung po frog plate, and one spicy UNAGI kung po plate and i will enjoy eating it till dream of the taste. Yummie.

August 12th, 2009 at 8:34 am
Sharon Chuah

Try the chilli padi…they mix it very well with the porridge. Smooth, Fragrance, nice porridge with Super hot chilli padi.

August 12th, 2009 at 8:37 am
Bella

I would recommend the one called Ah Nam or New Recipe located in Dato Keramat, at the shop houses next to the Esso petrol station. I guess Sharon Chuah meant this too. This shop have a few branches. One at Sg Petani, one near Farlim Sunshine and the head quarter in BM. The style very similar to those Kung Bou bull frog porridge in Geylang G7 or Lorong 9, and indeed it tastes delicious with reasonable price. Worth a try!

August 12th, 2009 at 9:44 am

All the dishes goes well with the porridge. Is the porridge the sticky type?

August 12th, 2009 at 3:02 pm

The chai poh fried egg is my favorite with porridge. Wld love to try this ‘tim kai’ with porridge.

August 12th, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Even their name is using Geylang, maybe they have some sort of relationship with the Geylang porridge in Singapore! LOL But I do miss the frog porridge.

August 12th, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Wow..that’s the kind of porridge I would love to have now…with the frog meat and chai por egg….nice..thanks for the info but meanwhile we can just slurps it off the screen…:p Thanks CK

August 12th, 2009 at 9:00 pm

I had it once and I love it ever since. I went to Dato Kramat one too (another brand though:)).

August 12th, 2009 at 10:10 pm

ah…. got rice then good as my gal don’t like porridge. Good things is they have other dishes to order too. ^-^

August 13th, 2009 at 8:01 am

Dear CK,

Just to drop you a quick note to say thanks for taking me out, not once, but twice, when I was on my recent work trip to Penang. It made a great difference seeing a friendly face when I am away from home.

*hugs!*

P.S. Ivy’s oyster-sea urchin-sh?ch? shooter was AMAZING. Thanks for introducing me to a great restaurant and an incredible new friend! :)

August 13th, 2009 at 11:13 am

Wah do they serve other type of porridge too? It looks well cooked :D

However the frog seems oversteamed tho.

August 13th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

ahh..another great place to go during raninig season~

August 13th, 2009 at 4:14 pm

err frog?? I’ll give that a pass.
The porridge looks thick and smooth though. A nice steaming pot of it during rainy weather will be perfect!!!

August 13th, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Sharon Chuah – Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Bella – I have also did a post for New Recipe on Dato Kramat Road.

Little Inbox – Slightly sticky type.

Sweet Jasmine – They are closed on Wednesday.

iamthewitch – Not too sure about their relationship.

Elin – In the meantime, maybe you can do it yourself too.

cariso – Lucky we have so many places to choose from.

Food Paradise – It’s like another chu char place but they have porridge too.

Life for Beginners – You are most welcome…hope to catch up with you again.

Jian – Their porridge usually goes with dishes.

taufulou – Always a warming meal especially for a rainy day :)

buzzingbee – There are many more other dishes to try out.

August 14th, 2009 at 11:54 pm

woah….frog porridge, it had been years since i last ate it~~kinda forgotten what was its taste !

August 15th, 2009 at 6:39 pm
Bris77

Hi CK, you should try the kung po frog.. spicy with chilli padi but nice :) Will try out the Dato Kramat branch.. have not been there before coz didn’t see many ppl when passed by there! Thanks fr intro :)

August 15th, 2009 at 7:00 pm
kp

Sin Geylang is closed from Dec 1 when I visited. One of the workers mentioned that it is shofted to Haig Raod (if I understand him correctly).

Thanks! I saw the notice too but have yet to visit the new location :)

December 4th, 2009 at 2:52 pm
LC

Hi CK, this shop already closed and replaced by a new owner. The shop is called Double Happiness(Yang Seng Cafe). I have tried their frog porridge, very nice…u should go and try out their foods..their price is reasonable too.. :)

Thank you for sharing the info.

April 12th, 2010 at 7:25 am
Pilipalak

Hi CK, Would appreciate if you could let us have the new address of Sin Geylang as I miss their food very much!

The new address was provided by my reader. It has since moved to Krian Road, same row as 8-row.

June 30th, 2010 at 2:21 pm
leehoe

Just contacted the owner of Sin Geylang, they have moved to Krian Road, same row as 8-row, opposite of Yellow Light Thai Food.

You can call the owner if you can’t find the place. 016 421 1206

Thanks for sharing the new location.

August 18th, 2010 at 11:23 am