During the journey back to Penang we had a Bidor stopover at the well known Pun Chun Restaurant located right in the middle of the town. It has been in existence for many great years and is a popular place for travellers to stop for a meal. The restaurant serves delicious chu char dishes, ark tui mee and wan tan mee. Pun Chun is also famous for their all time favorite Chicken Biscuits (Kai Chai Pang) and Sat Kei Ma (caramalize egg biscuit).

img_1911.jpg

This restaurant has been selling traditional Chinese biscuits for many years. Trays filled with so many varieties of cakes, pastries and biscuits really caught my eye. All of them looked tempting and I can’t help myself ordering a few to try out.

img_1908.jpg

img_1920.jpg

We get to sample the Lou Por Pang (wife biscuit), Hung Ngan Pang (almond biscuit), Kai Dan Gou (egg sponge cake) and Ham Tan Soh (lotus paste with salted egg) with cups of kopi-o. kau. I really enjoyed this simple traditional Chinese pastry as we don’t get to eat so often.

img_1919.jpg

Hung Ngan Pang also known as Almond Biscuit

img_1903.jpg

Ham Tan Shou with filling of lotus seed paste and salted egg

img_1916.jpg

Kai Dan Gou with the very strong egg flavour

Loh Por Pang also known as Wife Biscuit has a crispy outer layer. It comes with fillings of winter melon plus a bits of orange peel. This biscuit is one of the better ones that I have eaten so far.

img_1914.jpg

Loh Por Pang also known as Wife Biscuit

Pun Chun Restaurant
38 – 40 Jalan Besar
35500 Bidor
Perak

Tel : 05 4341554

*************************************

From Pun Chun Restaurant on the right,  we cross directly over to the town’s market (look out for the blue arrow on the left) to have some noodles. We visited a food stall which is among the only few stalls that was still open in the late noon. It sells variety of Yong Tau Foo and Chee Cheong Fun. The food is quite similar to the ones sold in Kampar and Ipoh.

img_1913.jpg

The owner put a twist to this steamed rice roll with it wrapped with turnip. It was very flavorful and is best eaten with pickled green chili and a sprinkle of sesame seed. It would be nice to have this version in Penang.

img_4967_resize.jpg

We also had a plate of Chee Cheong Fun but this version came with curry gravy, long beans and pig’s skin (chue pei). You can hardly find the curry chue pei in Penang.

img_4960_resize.jpg

Also eaten with pickled green chili, very appetizing!

img_4973_resize.jpg

Side orders of homemade Yong Tau Foo

Bidor town is an ideal place for a quick stopover and definitely would be dropping by to explore more food outlets. I did a bit of travelling and lots of eating during this Raya holiday and I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday too!

Teen Hoon
(opposite the wet market)

Business : Early morning till noon

GPS Coordinates : N04 0640.5   E101 1713.6

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, September 21st, 2009 at 11:19 pm and is filed under Bidor, Dessert, Noodles, Pastry, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow..i like d Chicken Biscuits especially thin & crispy type…nice :)

September 22nd, 2009 at 1:50 am

Haha, the Ham Tan Shou is like a mooncake, but with pastry crust! Neat! :)

September 22nd, 2009 at 2:02 am

i think that is the Teluk Intan’s version of the CCF, as Bidor and TI are merely an hour or so apart.
the duck noodles is not as good as before, and the wu kok shrinking until two bites-ful portion.

September 22nd, 2009 at 11:11 am

i really like wife’s biscuit done this way. crispy skin + winter melon filling. :) in my opinion, it’s better than hk’s more powdery crust…good stuff.

September 22nd, 2009 at 12:08 pm

eh, you didnt’ try the Bidor Wanton Mee ah?? i can’t remember which shop already, but was brought by a relative many many years ago.

September 22nd, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I only tried Bidor’s wan tan mee with huge wan tan before. :) You should try it next time!

September 22nd, 2009 at 2:42 pm
Jon

I like their wu kok but size keeps shrinking and prices increasing !

September 22nd, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I would love to try the wife biscuit. The steamed rice roll is CCF, right? Doesn’t look like one, though ;)

September 22nd, 2009 at 8:13 pm
ektoh

CK, next round, I would recommend you the kopitiam (forgot the name) that right in front of the 1st traffic light when you reach Bidor town (before the traffic light, turn right to get your car parked).
I highly recommend the WanTan and SiewPao of this kopitiam.

September 23rd, 2009 at 2:30 pm

that chee cheong fun looks like the famous Teluk Intan version!!!

September 23rd, 2009 at 2:52 pm

What a coincidence! now i am eating woo kok which i bought yesterday from Pun Chun and i ate the same type of CCF near the Tapah market a day earlier. LOL

September 23rd, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Adelyn – Indeed much crispier compared to the thick and chewy ones. In fact I like both of them…haha

Life for Beginners – Cool…two ways of enjoying the ingredients.

J2Kfm – I will try to visit TI on my next trip…can’t wait to try out the food there.

Nic (KHKL) – We have the same opinion on the wife’s biscuit :)

New Kid On The Blog – Not this round. For a change, I went for something different.

September 23rd, 2009 at 3:54 pm

iamthewitch – Would love to…

Jon – It’s been a long time since I had the wu kok.

Selba – This is a different version, it comes with fillings.

ektoh – Nice sharing of the wan tan and siewpao…will look for it. Thanks for the directions.

SimpleGirl – It is…J2kfm told me about it. It’s delicious.

foodbin – Haha…it’s a small country.

September 23rd, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Hi, dropping by here from J2Kfm’s blog.

I am very fond of Pun Chun’s kai chai peng! Must buy them if I pass by the shop!

Oh! Didn’t know they sell Lou Poh Peng!

September 23rd, 2009 at 9:16 pm
OneBigMouth

I like stopping at Bidor cos the town quite near the highway exit. My usual is the duck leg noodle but sometimes they serve the drumstick from wings which is not as tasty. And get strange stare when I ask to change to a real drumstick. hahaha! Anyone tried their branch at Kota Kemuning?

Interesting! I should look for alternative stall like you did and only go back to buy the biscuits. Lou Poh Peang is a must cos Lou Poh loves them. :)

September 25th, 2009 at 10:44 pm
Yean

haha…i experienced that almost all traditional biscuit at Pun Chun Restaurant selling at higher price compared to the shop just next to it.

October 5th, 2009 at 12:05 pm