This time around I get to discover the various preparations of the Bonito Tuna and the Salmon. The Bonito (also known as skipjack tuna) is a seawater fish belonging to the mackerel family with a rich red color and firm texture. We began our dinner with the delightful SP Sashimi Moriawase consisting of an assortment of both fish which was sliced to just the right thickness.

IMG_4000

The sliced raw fish and the roe go well with the edible shiso/perilla leaf ‘aoba’ which has serrate edges. I particularly enjoyed its unique and refreshing flavor.

IMG_4002

SP Sashimi Moriawase @ RM35

IMG_1306a_resize IMG_3996s

Katsuo Nokkemori  – Miraku has this dish with Bonito tuna served with seaweed and delicately flavored with the classic Ponzu sauce. The refreshing sweet and sour citrus sauce provides extra flavor to this raw fish dish.

IMG_4010_resize

Beautifully decorated plate of Katsuo Nokkemori  @ RM19.90

IMG_4008_resize

The taste of the garlic slices goes well with the fresh bonito

IMG_4016a

Katsuo Salad is the huge bowl of fresh mixed greens laid with thick pieces of Bonito and topped with delicate bonito flakes. The flakes provide some salty taste to this salad, and overall the combined ingredients drizzled with the accompaniment sauce makes a sumptuous salad.

IMG_4022

Katsuo Salad @ RM18.90

IMG_4017

This time around the three of us were seated in one of their private tatami room instead of sitting in front of the sushi bar on my first visit.

IMG_4057

My Japanese hosts

IMG_1286

A table in the Tatami room with plenty of privacy

Click on the next page for the Salmon dishes…

Pages: 1 2

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, September 13th, 2009 at 11:31 am and is filed under Chef, Gurney Drive, Gurney Plaza, Hotels, International, Invited Review, Japanese Cuisine, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Simply exquisite! :)

September 13th, 2009 at 7:53 pm

oh my… looks too good!

September 13th, 2009 at 8:34 pm

until end of Oct..I’ll take note of that. :)

September 13th, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I’ve tried the oysters they served in G Hotel. They are the so good that I had more than 5 that night alone. Haha!

Do they have oyster shashimi here?

September 14th, 2009 at 12:02 am

oh! just perfect, it reminds me of my dinner trip at Nagano, Japan!

September 14th, 2009 at 9:53 am

That sayuri reminds me of my Toddy which I had in Gopeng ….. sober all the way!

September 14th, 2009 at 10:13 am

Life for Beginners – It is indeed beautiful…decoration plays an important part in Japanese cuisine.

christock – Besides looking good, each dish is well flavored with the freshness of the ingredients.

cariso – Check out their beverages during Happy Hour too.

Apple Foodees – They do serve Oyster Sashimi but it is best to call them up to check the availability. Freshness is the main priority for them.

Big Boys Oven – Bring back good memories, ya?

email2me – It is a nice drink. A glass of it is good to have along with the dishes.

September 14th, 2009 at 11:29 am
tong

look lovely !! must give it a try.. how many private rooms do they have there and are they big or small rooms ?

September 14th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Spectacular pictures! I can imagine my chopsticks nocking against my computer screen coz it looked so surreal.

September 14th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Spectacular pictures! Made my computer screen comes to life

September 14th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

tong – They are many private rooms with different sizes to cater for the number of people. Do make a request for it.

Alan – No need to look at the computer screen. Just take your lovely wife over to Miraku to try out the promotion. Best to be there during the happy hour before adjoining to your dinner.

September 14th, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Wow~~ what an indulgence of Jap food. :)

September 14th, 2009 at 4:38 pm
Syinyee

I got nothing to say, your photos tell everything!!! Gosh!!

September 14th, 2009 at 4:47 pm

love sashimi-had Japanese food for dinner just now.

September 14th, 2009 at 9:45 pm

allie – Do try out the food. Besides this promotion, they also serve lunch. Check out their impressive lunch menu.

Syinyee – Glad you like the photos and do drop in to enjoy the food too.

foodbin – For their sashimi, they have plenty of fresh fish for you to choose from which are directly imported from Japan.

September 15th, 2009 at 9:44 am

It must be pleasure to eat and chat with the hosts. :)
Nice sashimi though I don’t take it.

September 15th, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Yes, decoration as well as the freshness o the ingredients play a very important role. Is it any wonder that so many of us are in love with Japanese cuisine? :)

September 15th, 2009 at 4:31 pm

fresh shasimi and sakae …hmmm.. will sure taste good.

September 15th, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Yummmieee

September 15th, 2009 at 5:44 pm

hey CK, what do they serve for lunch actually? is it in a set or a-la-carte? I’m going again this weekend… but still thinking go for the lunch or dinner… Miss the Miraku Salad.. yumyum…

September 15th, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Little Inbox – There are many other food to try out if you don’t take raw fish. Check out the grilled meat & seafood, tempura, sukiyaki, udon, kami nabe (hot pot) and their rice dishes.

Life for Beginners – That reminds me of the colorful and unique Oyster Shooter that both me and ‘my friend’ fell in love with after having it for the first time …haha

taufulou – Best combination!

ai wei – Indeed it was.

Mabel – There are plenty of lunch set menu to choose from. Hope you have an enjoyable meal in Miraku :)

September 15th, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Wow!! I should pay them another visit soon. Work has been rather hectic these few months. You sure had a lot to eat that night. :P

September 16th, 2009 at 1:04 am

How come there are still speckles of skin or membrane on their salmon sashimi?

September 17th, 2009 at 12:16 am
OneBigMouth

I love a good sashimi dinner, more so if it includes slices of o’toro and plenty of ikura.Great pictures!

Agreed with Jason, the knife-work can be better. The chef probably can do with a better honyaki yanagiba bocho.

September 18th, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Very impressive presentation. I wish I were sitting right there at that table.

September 20th, 2009 at 8:46 am
Sammy

Went to Miraku the last week of Aug. This restaurant serves very fresh sashimi. Their Ameabi (sweet shrimp) is big as compared to other Japanese restaurants. Price is reasonable. Will go back and try their salmon and bonito promotion this month.

October 2nd, 2009 at 4:40 pm

1. Miraku Japanese Restaurant - Salmon & Bonito Tuna September … | Sushi Restaurants    Sep 16 2009 / 5pm:

[...] unknown wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptMiraku Japanese Restaurant in G Hotel is now having their newly launched September Autumn promotion of Salmon & Bonito Tuna. Try out the Katsuo Nokkemori and Special Sake set. [...]

2. Miraku Japanese Restaurant – Salmon & Bonito Tuna September Promotion - Asian Food Blog    Sep 20 2009 / 11pm:

[...] Last week I met up with Mr Akihiko Hijioka, Deputy Managing Director of Sushi Kin Sdn Bhd , member of the Texchem group again at Miraku Japanese Restaurant in G Hotel to try out their newly launched September Autumn promotion of Salmon & Bonito Tuna. Also present was their Chief Executive Chef /Director Susumu Sakamaki. This [...] Read original post [...]