Cintra Street which starts after the junction of Kimberley Street leading all the way towards Chulia Street has numerous hawker food stalls and old sytle Chinese restaurants. Most of the food along this street is simply irresistible as they have been operating for a long time. In fact I did a Cintra Street food crawl review one year ago covering most of the food stalls along this street except missing out on this Yee Sang Kai Chok (fish/chicken porridge).

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

Steaming hot thick porridge

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

Many locals are quite familiar with this roadside stall operating directly opposite the Cintra Food Corner selling Bak Chang (dumpling). The stall is easily spotted right in front of Sin Sun Vood coffee shop. For many years the lady owner has been serving Chicken Porridge (Kai Chok) and Fish Porridge (Yue Chok) together with her famous Steam Chicken (Bak Jiam Kai).

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

The steamy soothing bowl of porridge was topped with ginger strips, lettuce, spring onions and pieces of deep fried crullers – yau char kwai. The texture of the porridge was thick enough for my liking. It’s very flavorful and tasted great with a must have dash of white pepper.

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

Additional bowl of yau char kwai

A simple tasty dish of chicken is indeed a wonderful addition to the porridge. Most tables have this add on. The chicken is really smooth and I really enjoyed it with extra ginger strips. However the accompanied chili sauce is just very ordinary.

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

Customers will pack into this popular stall in the night starting from 8pm. I remember watching her setting up her stall early in the evening when I was having my chu char dinner from the neighboring restaurant, Sun Yoon Kee Restaurant.

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

Penang Porridge at Cintra StreetPenang Porridge at Cintra Street

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

Freshly sliced pieces of fish

Besides the chicken porridge, I also had the Yee Sang Kai Chok, which was a mixture of chicken with fish slices. Some find this mixing tastier with a bowl costing RM4. The whole piece of chicken drumstick cost RM8.

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

Yee Sang Kai Chok

Penang Porridge at Cintra Street

If you fancy having some tasty chicken porridge, then head over to this stall. Click here for the Map Location, It is just behind Woo Hing (Rolex shop).

Infront of Sin Sun Vood Coffeeshop
Cintra Street
10100 Penang

Business Hour : 8pm – 11.30pm

Closed on Sunday

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, September 17th, 2009 at 3:26 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Penang, Porridge. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

ohhh..went to eat this stall last trip back to pg..taste good!

September 17th, 2009 at 5:30 pm

That porridge looks so clean and healthy… especially since I’m down with a bad flu now. Isn’t it interesting how we always crave comforting food like this when we are unwell? Reminds us of how our moms used to care for us when we were kids, I suspect. :)

September 17th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Reminds me of Jln Sultan’s (near Petaling St) famous porridge with poached chicken and pig innards. Only at night on the sidewalk. Very good meal esp now in rainy KL.

September 17th, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Perhaps you should state down the “attitude” of the ladies, or should I put it as their ” characteristic” ? as a reminder for the readers, so that they won’t get offended/scolded by them.

September 17th, 2009 at 8:05 pm

ahh a steaming hot bowl of porridge is something I fancy once in a while :)

September 17th, 2009 at 8:45 pm
SH Tan

Ya…agree with Cariso. This woman has big time attitude problem. Was scolded by her for telling her my order. She yelled not to disturb her. Said only her daughter takes orders. Since then, we have boycotted her stall. The other chicken porridge stall opposite Union School in Burmah Road (at night only) is not too bad.

September 17th, 2009 at 9:37 pm

taufulou – Yup, it’s a tasty comfort porridge.

Life for Beginners – Naturally we think of healthy food when we are sick. Hope you get your body balance and recover soon.

Chin – Will sure to drop by that place one day.

cariso – I do not know about the character of the lady as I have never encounter any bad experience after so many visits. Anyway, nice of you to share this with me.

buzzingbee – Especially so on a cool day.

SH Tan – I also like the chicken porridge opposite Union School :) I usually have an extra plate of chicken…very smooth.

September 17th, 2009 at 10:09 pm

just as i was about to ask if they serve raw fish, i saw yr picture of the lovely pink slices! definitely a classic that withstands the test of time. :)

September 18th, 2009 at 1:00 am

I luv yee sang kai chok. The chicken and fish combi sounds interesting! Going to try it at home soon. ;)

September 18th, 2009 at 1:48 am

another regular place for dining for my family…they served authentic cantonese style porridge..as you can clearly tell from the textures of the porridge..

just a general feed back to all…always order through her daughter as she’s the one who takes all the order..the makcik only takes instructions from her daughter on what to prepare…but they’re quite friendly once you get to know them..

September 18th, 2009 at 3:17 am

the other day we went round town in search of supper. should’ve asked for your recommendations lah, CK.
cant retained all the info you guys provided during that Karaikudi outing.

September 18th, 2009 at 8:51 am

wow looks so awesome, licking deliciously!

September 18th, 2009 at 9:08 am
Wendy Yeap

Simply delicious but the 2 ladies (mother and daughter) have the worst customer service attitide.

September 18th, 2009 at 9:20 am

Nic (KHKL) – The natural sweetness from the fresh fish will make a nice delicious bowl of porridge.

food-4tots – Hope to see your recipe on the porridge.

Tau Sar Phneah – No wonder I did not encounter any bad experience in this place cos never once did i get to talk to the mother. The daughter was always there to take orders.

J2Kfm – No problem…just give me a call when you need any info :)

Big Boys Oven – Com-forty too…

Wendy Yeap – So far, no problem for me. After the feedback from TSP (comment 10) now we know that all orders have to go through the daughter only. Avoid the mother.

September 18th, 2009 at 9:33 am
Jessie

In fact this is one of my favorite stall, although the lady a bit Stuck Up,but what the hack ? As long as we can enjoy good food , nothing comes in our way.

September 18th, 2009 at 10:11 am

Wah the chicken meat looks very smooth and tempting. :)

September 18th, 2009 at 12:10 pm

this looks more like Teochew porridge, i’d prefer the Cantonese style.

September 18th, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Penang seems to have lots of nice porridge around! Next trip to Pg must stay at least a week la… LOL!

September 18th, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I like to eat porridge especially fish porridge. Besides, yau char kuai with porridge is always the best combination. :)

September 18th, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Jessie – Haha…glad you like the porridge.

iamthewitch – Though you would have eaten this porridge during your stay in penang last time.

foodbin – The texture of this porridge is very cantonese style…

Pureglutton – Keep me inform of your visit. Hope to meet up again with your family.

Mindy – Yau char kuai does goes well with porridge. Love it too with bak kut teh and tong sui :)

September 18th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

ai yo yo… this really look damn good la!

September 18th, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I love porridge… plus the silky smooth chicken and crunchy crullers… All these remind me of the old comfort food I used to have those days…

September 19th, 2009 at 3:20 am
michie

the seller not friendly at all. even the the porridge is nice, the service beats everything down!!

September 19th, 2009 at 9:38 am

My hubby loves this type of chicken. He loves it tender and smooth. Look like I am heading there for a bowl of porridge soon. ^-^ Thanks for sharing!

September 19th, 2009 at 7:11 pm
fernleaf

all those who’ve commented on the attitude or bad service of the lady cooking….

well… let just say a lot of other hawkers with ppl line up to KOMTAR have this kinda of attitude… unless u don’t go at peak hour !

they are friendly once u get to know them…

October 17th, 2009 at 3:02 am

just try it an hour ago, reach there at around 10.30pm, surprisingly there aint any customer there!

we sat on the only table beside the stall, and i am really surprised that such great porridge got no customer! highly recommended~~~

February 26th, 2010 at 11:59 pm
SM Lim

This is my most delicous supper when I stayed at Penang. This auntie, I look at her from black hair till now … I missed the taste so much!

March 5th, 2010 at 3:06 pm
P.Seng

No chance to try it out as we were kicked out for not ordering drinks….LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE

August 13th, 2010 at 10:32 pm
Ash

damn the porridged look great ! i needa get myself sum..im droooling already *nasty*

August 28th, 2010 at 10:51 am
eztou

yaya…this chicken porridge is nice. But all of u got attention the beside stall in the photo. is a congee porridge, recomand u all to try it. they only open weekday 1.30pm-4.00pm.

November 21st, 2010 at 1:10 am

1. Animal Video Clip 00005 – Chicken Police! - Funny Videos, Funny Video Clips, Crazy Videos, Animal Videos - MyFunnyVids.com    Sep 18 2009 / 8am:

[...] Penang Food – Kimberley Street Chicken & Fish Porridge | What2See … [...]

2. Best of Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 29 2010 / 4pm:

[...] of coconut milk of the gravy makes this a very delicious dish. The stall is located opposite the Sin Sun Vood Coffeeshop and Sun Yoon Kee Seafood Restaurant. Click here for the Map [...]

3. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 26 2012 / 5pm:

[...] Cafe Island Glades] Chee Cheong Fun [Branch of Seow Fong Lye Soon Yuen Cafe Kuala Kangsar Road] Chicken Porridge [Cintra Street] Coconut Jelly [Joez Coconut Jelly Jalan Dato Keramat] Curry Mee [Air Itam Sister] Curry Mee [Jalan [...]