See Kong Ooi Restaurant in Transfer Road Penang which specializes in Hainanese and Hokkien chu char dishes is fondly refer as Sai Kong Huin by most of the Penangites Hokkien. It has been around for several decades now, and is still going strong until today!

This post is a collection of my trips to this restaurant, so don’t be shocked by the amount of food! I’ve made the trip there several times with my family and food bloggers BBO, Lingzie, Ken and NKOTB.

See Kong Ooi

First time visiting a “KEDAI MAKAN”!

It would be very easy making your selection at See Kong Ooi as their menu has remained unchanged throughout the years. Their menu is hung on the wall for convenient viewing.

Among their selection of seafood, we started with the Black Promphet in three flavours. It may be more well known as “SAR BEE” (three flavours in Hokkien), and it was indeed appetizing! Their gravy was very tasty and the chili + onion combo was just fantastic! The Assam Curry Fish has the sourish taste and freshness of the fish, and topped with plenty of onions, tomatoes and lady fingers! The gravy is darker in color as compared to many Assam Curry Fish that I have savored around George Town.

See Kong Ooi

Assam Curry Fish, great accompliment with white rice!

Another seafood item was the prawns, which I find to be quite reasonably priced at See Kong Ooi! Throughout several of my visits there, I managed to try out the Assam Prawn and Sambal Prawn. Both really packed with flavor and succulent flesh. The Assam Prawn can be enjoyed just on its own while the Sambal Prawns with its pungent gravy makes a great dish with the rice.

Assam Prawn

See Kong Ooi

Recommended Sambal Prawn, yummy!

Next on the menu was the meat selection. The fried pork had an authentic feel with the soy sauce tastefully done. We also had the Steamed Mince Meat + Salted Fish, which is very similar to the typical homecooked version.

Fried pork

Salted Fish Steam Minced Meat

Oh well, with all the meat and seafood, of course there must be vegetables to balance it all up. The vegetable were stir fried with wok hei, ranging from the choice of long beans and bean sprout with salted fish.

See Kong Ooi

One of their unique dish was the Shanghainese Vegetable cooked with Pork Slices! The salty preserved vegetable and the spicy taste of the chili makes a very flavorful dish.

See Kong Ooi

We enjoyed the recommended Egg Soup. Mixed with plenty of minced meatball, vegetables and a fried egg, this simple and tasteful soup rounded off the meal nicely.

See Kong Ooi

This restaurant run by owners Peter and Teddy is located in the folds on Transfer Road, where you can find The Ship and Fung Wei Chinese Restaurant nearby! Parking is abundant right outside this restaurant. Click here for the Map Location.

P.S. This restaurant is accessible using both Burma Road and Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah.

9 Transfer Road
Penang

Tel : 04 2627845

Business Hour : 11am – 11pm

Category : Non-Halal

GPS Coordinates : N5 2520.5   E100 1952.5

Updates as at November 2009 : They do serve porridge besides white rice.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, October 30th, 2009 at 1:48 pm and is filed under Chu Char, George Town, Hokkien, Penang Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wah@ seriously, I do not know pg got so many place to eat 1..you really hunt around ha~

October 30th, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Visited that place years ago with my ex-high schoolmates. Have not been back there ever since.

October 30th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

i can smell home cooked food here….i shall bring my dad there….sure he’ll enjoy it!!!

October 30th, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Oh, finally!!!! Great photo, it was my 1st time meeting you down there too.

October 30th, 2009 at 3:30 pm

have not eaten salted fish steam minced meat for a long time-looks delicious!

October 30th, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Salt Fish Steamed pork to me is one of the finest dishes ever invented! I wanna try this one :-)

October 30th, 2009 at 6:00 pm
Jon

That looks really appetising. I love fried fish in assam gravy. and Transfer Road is not difficult to find since I always frequent Penang Road eateries. Must make a visit here on our next trip.

October 30th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Looks like i never go anywhere in Penang! :P Must go out to hunt some food…

October 30th, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I love See Kong Ooi. Reasonably priced and quality maintained.

October 31st, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I am so guilty to see your post. I still haven’t write about it. lol

Those foods really tempting me now. Especially their assam fish curry. Totally kick ass!

November 1st, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Harlooo CK, saw you just now having dinner with your family …

November 1st, 2009 at 10:11 pm
Peter

Yes indeed, I was chatting CK near the kitchen just now. You didn’t say Hi :)

November 1st, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Everyone – The food in this restaurant is delicious, very similar to homecooked and I find them reasonably priced too. Glad to see your views and comments on this place.

Mabel – Aiyah…you should say hi to me. I miss the chance getting to meet you.

Peter – Great to see your restaurant crowded with customers. My family loves the dishes…simply delicious. I will definitely try out the porridge with the dishes on my next visit.

November 1st, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Haha.. i think you saw me… i just sat right opposite you yest… hehe…. feel ‘paise’ to say hi to you.. haha..

November 2nd, 2009 at 2:36 pm
Anne

Hi CK. My dad used to bring us to See Kong Ooi 40 over years ago n I still go today. reasonable price n real home-cook style. I got one shop to recommend is very home-cook style Thai food. Ghee Seng Tomyam Seafood, Blk 123-G-06, Wisma KGN, Jln Pengkalan Weld, Pg. H/Phone: 012-4988325 & 012-4808266. The famous dishes are white tomyam prawn, dry thai curry chicken, dry thai pork, bird net & etc.

November 2nd, 2009 at 7:53 pm

quality maintain, but always feel that it was kinda expensive.

November 4th, 2009 at 2:40 pm
kelly

this is one of the best chu char places in pg! my parents and i used to go by every weekend.
u shud also try a simple “prawns fried with egg” dish the next time you head over :)

Prawns fried with egg was yummy! Thanks for the intro.

November 5th, 2009 at 7:55 pm
Peter (SKO)

CK – Yesterday I got customers from India came to patronize our restaurant with a printed copy of this blog in his hand. He just ordered every dishes recommended here. Ended up cannot finish all and ‘TA PAO’ back to their hotel. :)

thamchiak – point noted and will look into it carefully. Thanks for your comment.

December 2nd, 2009 at 12:56 am
Alfred

haha i like eating there the Bittergourd with slippery egg is also nice!

Will have it on my next visit…thanks Alfred!

November 4th, 2010 at 3:33 pm
James

I started to eat there since the old shop like at least a decade ago, my favorites are seaweed soup with (only minced pork and egg), belacan kang kung, assam curry fish head and salted fish minced pork. in fact, i just had all those mentioned for my dinner just now. haha

They used to have the best belacan chicken around.

January 7th, 2011 at 12:49 am

One Trackback/Ping

1. Top Secret Restaurant Recipes Revealed | Restaurant Recipes    Oct 30 2009 / 7pm:

[...] Penang Chu Char – Hokkien & Hainanese Dishes @ See Kong Ooi … [...]