***Updated in October 2013 – The stall has since closed down

Peace & Joy Coffee Shop located in the corner of China Street and Queen Street Penang has a stall selling delicious curry mee! Generally, the curry mee soup itself is very flavorful, while the ingredients top it off beautifully. I noticed this coffee shop on my first chu char visit in the nearby Kedai Makanan Heng Kee.

The basic bowl of Curry Mee comes with ingredients of cockles, cuttle fish, pig jelly and taupok in rich gravy. You can have it with add-on ingredients as well! I love it either way.

Penang Curry Mee

This can indeed be labeled “Heavenly delicious Curry Mee” as the added Curry Chicken brings another dimension to the dish. The meat of the chicken is tender and flavorful. More chili paste can be added to heat up the curry gravy. The spiciness of the curry blends well with the noodles.

Penang Curry Mee

Curry Mee with added Curry Chicken wing for RM4.50

The basic bowl of Curry Mee cost RM2.50 without prawns and RM3 with prawns. Curry chicken wing, drumstick, gizzard and liver can be added-on with prices varies from RM1.50 – RM2.50.

Penang Curry Mee

Basic bowl of Curry Mee with pungent chili paste

Penang Curry Mee

I like it with additional mint leaves!

Personally, I loved the soup as it was boiled flavorfully. It is different from some other stalls which serves coconut santan as the soup and allows you to add the chili paste separately.

Penang Curry Mee Stall

The Curry Mee stall owner, Mr & Mrs Chong

This Curry Mee at Peace & Joy Coffee Shop really satisfied my craving and is an excellent addition to my List of Curry Mee in Penang! Click here for the Map Location.

Peace & Joy Coffee Shop

Curry Mee
Peace & Joy Coffee Shop
China Street
10200 Penang

Business Hour : 7am – 3pm

Closed on Monday

GPS Coordinates : N05 2505.2   E100 2021.7

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 4th, 2009 at 10:32 pm and is filed under Curry Mee, George Town, Hawker, Noodles, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

The first pic of this post is top! I think you’re getting to know your canon camera real good. (I used to shoot with a Canon 5, film, in earlier days, developing and such myself. Nowadays, I’m happy with a smaller Canon.
Anyway: very nice pic!

October 4th, 2009 at 11:33 pm
taukwa

wah CK, looks really sedap leh. Must try. see you soon.

October 4th, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Nice pictures you have in this posting, CK.
I like the first pic the best and thanks for doing ‘justice’ to my favorite Penang Curry Mee :)

October 5th, 2009 at 8:36 am

Love the name of this coffee shop!! Peace & Joy to the World!! :-) Really really miss Curry Mee… haven’t been able to find any that invokes that Penang feeling here.

October 5th, 2009 at 8:49 am

i am not a fan of innards, so, the curry mee with chicken wings will definetely be my choice~~~

October 5th, 2009 at 9:05 am

very nice!! i’ve tried it.

October 5th, 2009 at 9:33 am

Jay-P. – Thanks for your comment…still more to learn of it.

taukwa – Will add to the makan list for you.

shutterspeed – Do try it out…and see if it suits your taste.

550ml jar of faith – It is indeed a nice shop with many more stalls in it. Will try out the rest and share with everyone.

SimpleGirl – Besides the add-on chicken pieces, you can have it with prawns too.

Duckie – Indeed good for me too. I went there several times just for the curry mee :)

October 5th, 2009 at 9:55 am

simply delicious.

October 5th, 2009 at 10:21 am

what a name. :)
loaded with ingredients lah, almost overflowing!

October 5th, 2009 at 11:55 am

I am drooling… Curry mee with lots of ingredients especially the chicken gizzards looks so tempting on the first pic! The mint shd add a refreshing taste to the dish. Will try when I get over my cold.

October 5th, 2009 at 12:55 pm

The photos in this post looks better. The colour is more natural and true.

October 5th, 2009 at 1:05 pm

hmmm did i see a chicken gizzard in the first pic? I <3 the gizzard. but not pork jelly :P and i love the cockles 50% only cooked in my curry!!!

October 5th, 2009 at 2:04 pm

slurrrppp…just cant find any good one’s in kl~

October 5th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I love the extra mint leaves… just not the extra internal organs or innards. I guess I’ll never be a true gourmand since I don’t really eat EVERYTHING, haha.

October 5th, 2009 at 10:39 pm

awesome awesome just drooling looking at those topping! salivating now in the early morning!

October 6th, 2009 at 6:06 am

Are those gizzards on the first picture? Wow, never seen those. I love my curry mee the traditional way, with lots of blood cubes and cockles, but I like those with a few prawn and cuttlefish. Yummy.

October 6th, 2009 at 11:33 am

The close-up pics are super awesome! Did you use the macro kit for those shots or just standard lens?…..Awesome!

October 6th, 2009 at 2:10 pm

What are those black cubes?

October 6th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

foodbin – Yes…it is :)

J2Kfm – Something similar to the one near Ipoh Ma Ta Lui.

Sweet Jasmine – Curry mee always taste better with the mint leaves.

Jason Wong – Thanks!

xin – I love my cockles half cooked too….very juicy. You got it right, that was the chicken gizzard.

taufulou – Try this out when you are back in Penang.

October 6th, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Life for Beginners – Well, each of us have our own liking. I like eating those stuffs :)

Big Boys Oven – It sure makes a good and yummy breakfast lor…

Rasa Malaysia – Those are add-ons of chicken gizzard. You should try those when you are back in town.

Alan – It was much easier as the photos were taken in the daytime with my 17-85mm lens.

tigerfish – Those black cubes are the pig jelly. It is mostly found in curry mee and even pork innards porridge in Penang.

October 6th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Do you mean that this curry mee is not those typical PG curry mee which only with santan boil soup + chili paste?

October 6th, 2009 at 5:54 pm

allie – Some of the Penang curry mee soup are usually white, boiled mostly in santan with little bit of chili paste whereas this soup is boiled with more amount of chili paste, hence I find it more flavorful.
Do try give it a try.

October 6th, 2009 at 6:31 pm
tong

that curry mee is okay.. but for good curry mee you should go for the one in abu siti late..’hot bowl curry mee’.
not only it is fantastic in taste but it is easily one of the cleanest such joints in penang.

October 6th, 2009 at 8:45 pm

great pics!!!
there’s so much ingredients in a bowl…what a treat!!!

October 6th, 2009 at 9:09 pm

tong – I eat at ’hot bowl’ at least twice a month…like their pak jiam kai.

buzzingbee – Thanks Bee, the bowl with many ingredients are added on.

October 7th, 2009 at 1:06 am

usually, i like my curry mee kosong. but with such delicious ingredients mentioned here, i think i’ll just sapu all..haha! lurve the blood cubes!!

October 7th, 2009 at 12:51 pm
OneBigMouth

I patronize this coffee shop quite frequently alas all the times were for the wanton mee. Usually the curry mee had sold out. But I still like the wanton mee, one of the best in Penang; great sar siew and sui kow. Must make it a point to get there earlier next time.

October 10th, 2009 at 10:27 am

I am also a fan for mint leaves when it comes to curry mee and assam laksa. Drooling and homesick now…..:(

October 11th, 2009 at 12:05 am

Nic (KHKL) – I think the bowl cannot hold up all the added ingredients at one time…haha

OneBigMouth – My next review of this coffee shop will definitely be the wanton mee stall. Do look out for it.

food-4tots – The more leaves, the better as it does enhance the noodles.

October 11th, 2009 at 12:20 am

Wau, it looks really really delicious…

October 14th, 2009 at 7:14 pm
smart

Thanks for the tip. We love this curry mee except that they had the blood cubes in the soup which half of my group of 12 dont take.For Singaporean this is a ‘cross’ between our local curry mee & laksa. Top mark for this curry mee which I agree that it is heavenly.

October 18th, 2009 at 10:37 am
Sparks

This curry stall gets my vote as the best in Penang. It’s all in the curry paste – very nice flavour and packs quite a punch. I find the ones at Lrg Seratus & Chulia Street really over-rated, definitely no where near this stall.

October 29th, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for sharing – will try out for my next visit :-)

October 31st, 2009 at 8:02 pm
June T

My husband and myself hunt down for this place and the food was amazing. We loved it and will come back for more.

June 9th, 2010 at 10:07 am

Hi CK: Just to inform you that this curry mee is no more as the husband and wife who sell this dish have passed away in August this year. Nic and I have been loyal customers ever since we got to know of the stall. It does serve one of the best if not the best curry mee in town. We were extremely shocked – we heard this news from the helper at the coffee shop some 4 weeks ago. The news even appeared in the Chinese newspaper. Been meaning to update you. The unfortunate part is, the couple have children. Now their kids are technically orphans. Quite sad.

Thank you for sharing the information Krista! I have updated it in the article.

October 20th, 2013 at 10:11 am

1. Preparing The Freshest Cup Of The Brew – – cappuccino | This is website about Espresso Cappuccino Machine and Espresso Machine and Cappuccino Maker    Oct 06 2009 / 11am:

[...] Penang Curry Mee – Peace & Joy Coffee Shop in China Street … [...]

2. Drip Coffee And Espresso Differences – – cappuccino machine | This is website about Espresso Cappuccino Machine and Espresso Machine and Cappuccino Maker    Oct 12 2009 / 2pm:

[...] Penang Curry Mee – Peace & Joy Coffee Shop in China Street … [...]

3. Penang Food - Wanton Mee @ Peace & Joy Coffee Shop, China Street | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Oct 21 2009 / 12pm:

[...] this Wanton Mee, another popular stall in this coffee shop is the Curry Mee which many of my friends has given their two thumbs up. Click here for the Map [...]