The slogan above was printed on the menu when we visited Ah’ Basri Satay outlet last night. That slogan had all of us ranting…what a way to attract customers. This outlet is located on Jalan Dato Ismail Hashim in Sungai Ara. It is diagonally opposite the Fisherman’s Grill.

This place has its own unique variations of satay. We had some time selecting the type of meat to have as there were many varieties to choose from. They have even horse and ostrich meat for the more adventurous to try out.

Ah’ Basri Satay

Plate of charcoal-grilled satay

The skewers of meat were grilled over charcoal fire and the smoky charred flavor of the meat was very enticing.

Ah’ Basri Satay

Ah’ Basri Satay Ah’ Basri Satay

Hard at work to grill out the best satay!

The satay is chunkier then what one will find from the ordinary satay stall. The skewers of meat were accompanied by the thick peanut sauce with a dollop of red chili sauce and raw onions plus cucumber.

Ah’ Basri Satay

The satay was nicely presented

Ah’ Basri Satay

We had the following few types of meat…

• Chicken – RM1 original
  • Beef – RM1.40 original
  • Beef Stomach – RM1.50
  • Lamb – RM1.40
  • Deer – RM1.50
  • Squid – RM2.50
  • Kangaroo – RM2.50

The taste was very authentic with the grilling done over charcoal fire. My personal best choice would be the tender lamb followed by the flavorful squid and chicken satay. The beef and the deer meat were rather tough. We also had the Nasi Himpit @ RM1 per portion.

Ah’ Basri Satay

The squid comes with a red chili sauce – slightly sourish and sweet

Ah’ Basri Satay Satay at Ah’Basri  - Satay Sauce

Besides the satay, we also savor various types of Wrap. It’s a nice change to have the meat inside the wrap. We ordered the Lamp Wrap and Beef Wrap @ RM4.80 per wrap which has a portion of the meat, together with some satay sauce, cucumber and vegetable. Great tastes all rolled in one!

Ah’ Basri Satay

This dinner cost RM54. They do provide catering services too. More reviews of this “Non-Smoking” satay outlet can be view here and here.

Ah’ Basri Satay

Ah’ Basri Satay

Ample car park spaces in front and inside the compound

Click here for the Map Location.
P.S. This satay house is nearby the traffic light beside Sekolah Kebangsaan Sungai Ara.

Ah’ Basri Satay
115B Mukim 12
Jalan Dato Ismail Hashim
Sungai Ara
11900  Bayan Lepas
Penang

Ahmad Basri H/P No : 012  4100080

Business Hour : 5pm – 12 Midnight  (Dinner from Mon – Sun)
12noon – 2pm  (Lunch from Mon – Fri)

Category : Halal

GPS Coordinates : N05 1913.3   E100 1617.5

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 10th, 2009 at 1:03 am and is filed under George Town, Malay Cuisine, Penang, Satay. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

I am not the adventurous type when it comes to taste those unusual type of meats. How do they get the kangaroo and horse meat? Legal?

October 11th, 2009 at 12:10 am

Hi CK, found your blog by chance. Great write ups and excellent photography. The Satay you say, horse and kangaroo meat? mmm….. not my taste too.

Keep up the excellent work!

Regards,
David
Malaysia Asia

October 11th, 2009 at 2:11 am

Lol, I’m a native from a Belgian town that is known for its horse meat. “Pjeire-fretters” is local slang for “horse-eaters” and that’s the nickname for the villagers of Vilvoorde, Belgium. So, horse meat is not adventurous for me. Every time we visit we have a juicy grilled horse steak with Belgian fries and a green salad at a restaurant named “De Kuyper”. It’s world famous, …locally.
Have a look at: http://www.geckogo.com/Dining/Belgium/Brabant-Wallon-Region/Vilvoorde/De-Kuyper/

October 11th, 2009 at 9:37 am

can see that the satay is nicely charred…..and would definetely love to try

October 11th, 2009 at 10:49 am

I think I’ll stick to chicken and squid satay, hehe…

October 12th, 2009 at 8:30 am

food-4tots – Not too sure about the rules and regulations.

Malaysia-Asia – Thank you very much for dropping by…do check in for more updates :)

Jay-P. – We have yet to find such steak in Penang. Thanks for sharing.

simplegirl – Hope you like it.

Little Inbox – Very safe choice…lol

October 12th, 2009 at 9:26 am

yummmmmmm totally the best satay in penang!! everyone that i’ve brought to this place gave it a big THUMBS UP! (and thats quite a lot of ppl) :)

October 12th, 2009 at 10:34 am

Marked in my calendar! Die die must go for this place cause so near my house. My parents love satay!

October 12th, 2009 at 10:39 am

the satay are chunky and so many choices to whet my appetite!

October 12th, 2009 at 10:40 am

lingzie – The place do have many good choices of meat for the customers to choose from.

email2me – I think you will find most of the meat here.

foodbin – Besides all that, the place is very clean.

October 12th, 2009 at 11:50 am

wa…many type of meats to try…i wan go to try horse satay…:)

October 12th, 2009 at 11:55 am
ektohek

The satay price is ways more than the famous Haji Samuri Satay at Kajang. Will try and see whether it deserves for such high price.

October 12th, 2009 at 2:34 pm

oh boy… I love their satay… squid one, lamb, chicken, prawn… drooling now..
In fact, I just had this as my dinner last night :P

October 12th, 2009 at 2:46 pm
ieat

Wha, next time I come to Penang must bring me there yah?

October 12th, 2009 at 11:12 pm

oh! I had tasted this with lingzie. . . . . . Sidney have heard so much of this place and had yet to taste them . . . .. . . shall we revisit agian? :)

October 13th, 2009 at 2:36 pm

You did not give me a call to savour this ah….. I loves their satays. The squid is nice. lol

October 13th, 2009 at 2:41 pm

squall – It has an interesting texture.

ektohek – Hope you will share your feedback with me.

allie – What a timing…lol

ieat – No problem…my friend. Will take you to many more other new places beside this place.

Big Boys Oven – Will visit it together on your next classes over here.

Food Paradise – I saw all the yummy satay from you blog and have included your link for my readers too.

October 13th, 2009 at 3:32 pm
Ginger

The satay is good but the price is a bit over the top. I always stop by the Jejantas in Sg Buloh on my way to KL and the satay there is good. This Sg Ara place satay is comparable in taste to the one at Jejantas, but not the price. I wud say its the most expensive satay in Penang (outside the hotels).

October 13th, 2009 at 10:22 pm

cool… some more got lamb and beef stomach satay. If got fry cricket satay, that would be even better :)

October 14th, 2009 at 8:56 am

Ginger – Will try to stop by the Jejantas in sg buloh to try out your recommended satay…thanks for the intro.

Steven Goh – The fry cricket satay sounds interesting…lol

October 14th, 2009 at 9:26 am

So near to my house, din’t try this new branch, only did the one at the relau ‘smaller-branch’

November 23rd, 2009 at 4:21 pm
zoro ching

Satay Ah’ Basri Asian Satay move to D Piazza mall around sunshine bayan lepas thr ^^

January 24th, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Albert Yap – I think both stalls sell the similar things…should be good too :)

zoro ching – Thank you for sharing the info!

January 24th, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Good day Friends, Ah’ Basri Asian Satay Restaurant has been relocated to D’Piazza Mall. On the opposite of the cross junction of PISA (Penang Indoor Stadium Arena). You get the exact location on goggle map by search for Ah Basri. Our business hour is 11am – 11pm. Latest introduction is Tandoori Chicken Satay. Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Wishing you Prosperous and Happy New Year. We are open daily during CNY session.

See you all soon.

February 13th, 2010 at 3:53 am
Romiko

the best satay in penang, u all should to try it…

March 6th, 2010 at 1:38 am
victim

best satay but teribble owner..trying to bluff my family..

April 12th, 2011 at 11:27 pm
Shu Ming

please have some try at hawker stall Gurney Drive, have 1 malay satay call International Satay, their satay is the best in town.. the sauce are so hot and spicy and yummy.. really like it.. and my god father who stay in Aussie always pack back their satay back to their hometown.. should try International satay in gurney drive and their service are so tip top even just are hawker stall ;)

April 28th, 2011 at 3:06 pm
Ravin

Yes indeed the Ah Basri satay is the best satay in town worth the money and i met the owner he was friendly and humble and he explained well to my quiries. FYI the location is no more at D’Piazza mall the new location is at Jalan Tengah Opp Giant, beside Hong Leong bank.

December 5th, 2011 at 6:22 pm
El

I can’t agree more, they sell best satay in town with varieties of meat. Btw, when will Ah Basri satay closed during coming raya? Anticipate to bring my overseas friend to try it out….

May 8th, 2012 at 1:17 am

One Trackback/Ping

1. Holiday Information » Blog Archive » Rainbow Beach Holidays – Rainbow Beach has some of the most amazing natural attractions found nowhere else in the world    Oct 22 2009 / 12am:

[...] Penang Food – Satay Ah' Basri, Expect Satisfaction from Every … [...]