Terubong Seafood is one ‘chu char’ that is tucked away in a row of shop houses facing the very busy Jalan Paya Terubong. This place specializes in seafood and is popular among the neighborhood!

Straight to the good stuff! They commonly serve this small prawns deep fried as prawns fritters. It tasted good dipping it in chili sauce.

Prawn Fritters at Terubong Seafood

Then it was the grilled stingray served with a tamarind sauce with onions. Very appetizing with the white rice!

Grilled Stingray at Terubong Seafood

The sauce of the grilled fish was spicy sweet, coupled with the fantastic onions!

Next was the homemade fishball soup which itself was very fragrant with some added Chinese wine! The fishballs in the soup were squarish in shape with a soft texture. I would recommend everyone to try out this dish.

Fishball Soup at Terubong Seafood

Steamed Assam fish… their sauce was very unique! Fish fillets done just right, and with the sweet and sour sauce, it topped off our meal.

Steamed Assam fish at Terubong Seafood

We had the sambal belacan fried with lady fingers. It came with great aroma and nice belacan flavor. This dinner cost RM85 inclusive of drinks.

Terubong Seafood

Sambal belacan lady fingers, awesome!

***************************************

Click here for the other visit to this ‘chu char’…

Pages: 1 2

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 7th, 2009 at 12:01 pm and is filed under Air Itam, Chinese, Chu Char, Penang, Restaurant, Seafood. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

modo alimentare

tHIS is 1 of my family’s favourite place of seafood….

love their fried Sotong…next time, u should try it…

and their fried small ??? with soya sauce is also very nice… u could try to order that next time….

October 8th, 2009 at 4:12 am

I have low regard for manufactured fishballs but absolutely LOVE the home made ones!! Will definitely check this place out!!

October 8th, 2009 at 6:56 am

oh~seafoooddddd~~my favourite!!

October 8th, 2009 at 7:45 am

sounds awesome, looks delicious . . .a place to die for it’s gourmet!

October 8th, 2009 at 8:36 am

All the dishes look so good. Can’t wait to visit them. Really!

October 8th, 2009 at 9:22 am

modo alimentare – Will sure to check out the two dishes that you recommend…fried sotong sounds good.

550ml jar of faith – The fishball is not as bouncy as those commercially produced but still have its own texture. The soup is very flavorful.

candlelyn – Haha…not many can resist fresh and tasty seafood. Thanks for dropping by too.

Big Boys Oven – You be surprised…the whole place was packed.

Little Inbox – There are so many varieties that I went back several times to try them. out.

October 8th, 2009 at 9:39 am

chu cahr stall also have nicely decorated staraberry dessert, unbelievable!!!

October 8th, 2009 at 9:48 am
smart

Got to try this during our coming trip to your lovely Penang. By the way where is Paya Terubong?
The fish balls (square) is no longer found in Singapore. So this is a must makan dish.

October 8th, 2009 at 11:31 am

SimpleGirl – The owner’s daughter has a passion in creating many different beverages.

smart – It is further from Air Itam. I will lead you there for dinner on the first day.

October 8th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

this is one of the area that I’ve not step in before… :(

October 8th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

seafood restaurant also serve such a nice well made drinks ha…the seafood..yummmm!

October 8th, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I’m drooling looking at those beautiful food shots! You are great!

October 8th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

one of my fav places for chu char and seafood! simply love their fish ball soup, ladies fingers and fried maggi mee!! yum yum! :)

October 8th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

amazed by the coffee latte and sherbet!

October 8th, 2009 at 11:46 pm

NKOTB – Do drive over and have a look around. There are plenty of yummy food outlets.

taufulou – I am going back to try out the other dishes and hopefully other drinks too.

Alice – Nice having you dropping by.

lingzie – Thanks for your recommendation, will try out the fried maggi mee.

gill gill – I too was amazed with the drinks. Do drop in to try out the seafood.

October 9th, 2009 at 12:10 am
smart

Thank you CK. Looking forward to meet you and makaning.

October 9th, 2009 at 11:28 am

Nothing quite like homemade fishballs, which one can always spot by their irregular shapes… A lil TLC goes into the final flavour, ja? :)

October 10th, 2009 at 12:16 am
OneBigMouth

It had been a long time I last had a meal here. The dishes look yummy. Missed those deep fried baby promfets, cheah hu, sauw chuin .. all small tasty fishes. The fish ball serving looks great, as good as the fresh water sai tou yee wat from Ipoh or the Kuala Selangor real saitou fish balls?

October 10th, 2009 at 8:32 pm

very very near my house…nice food.
The last visit was begin of year…….

October 14th, 2009 at 11:00 pm
smart

Thank you CK for leading us there. It was an excellent dinner. All 12 of us confirmed this is one Seafood Restaurant we should go on our next trip to Penang.
We also had very good seafood at Restoran Jety 1249 Bagan Bukit Tambun.
Hot Wok was a disaster, especially the Siow Bak with chincalok.

October 17th, 2009 at 11:49 am

went to this place a couple of times..
but just a heads-up, if you ever go during special days/public holidays, be ready to wait for 1-2 hours!!
My parents got fed up so no more going there! hahaha.
Btw, there’s lots more chu char outlets in Farlim!! Do hunt around :)

October 19th, 2009 at 5:40 pm
rach

my fav place for seafood. the deep fried sotong,deep fried mini prawns n grill fish are the dish that u must try. try not to go on wkend, coz u wil wait til frustrated, especially when u r very hungry..

November 21st, 2009 at 11:36 am
Alexis Michael

Hello Ms. Lam,
If this is the same shop, I was taken there by my cousin/aunties in October 09 for the best seafood I have eaten.
I especially enjoyed the ‘Ikan Pari’ (Stingray), and it looks like the photo you have posted here.
Please enlighten me if this shop had displays of plaster/pottery artifacts and paintings which were done by the young lady of the shop.
I cannot remember her name, except her family name which is LAW (her name is possibly Law Fay Ming, or something like that!).
We struck up a conversation and established a small bond of appreciation for her artwork.
Anyway, the seafood is extremely delicious and highly recommended.
Cheers from Melbourne, Australia! Regards, Alexis

November 28th, 2009 at 11:38 am
Helen

yes, absolutely agree with CK!
the seafood are very tasty & well cooked!
A must place to go especially for seafood lovers..

January 19th, 2010 at 8:43 am
foods'fan

Hi, I would like to know the exact location of this ‘chu char’. May I have the landmark too.
Thanks

It is located after the fire brigade station. Below is the address which is also included in the second page of the post….

Terubong Seafood
1238-T Jalan Paya Terubong
11060 Penang

Tel : 04 8660903
H/P No : 012 4103303

January 27th, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I am a seafood fan, and oh my, thanks for sharing this place…I have been hearing so much about Paya Terubong seafood but I do not know which one to go to.
There is finally a place in Penang which serves these yummy homemade fishballs…YEAY!~

March 30th, 2010 at 12:39 pm
Michael Lim

Yes …. I really miss those food after working in China since 2004. Atleast twice a week having lunch or dinner with my wife when stay in Penang – our favour food is “ASAM Prawn & Fried Kangkong”

I am sure everybody will like the food there.

May 3rd, 2010 at 9:18 pm
Sandy Khoo

What the shop name? and the business hour??

There are two pages for this article as stated…do click on page 2 to view more of the food and the business hour.

March 9th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Yong Tau Foo at Kafe Pantai Timur Cafe, Paya Terubong Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 04 2010 / 11pm:

[...] check out the eateries located nearby, including the Terubong Seafood and Crullers/You [...]