Penang Lor Mee comes with braised meat ingredients with robustly savory starchy gravy flavored with five-spice powder and egg white. The different spices in the flavorful and pungent gravy is what that enticed the taste of the Lor Mee. Hubby and I came across a Lor Mee stall at Lean Thye Coffee Shop which occupied the corner shop house in Ah Quee Street.

Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com

I like having my Lor Mee by mixing the gravy with some red chili sauce and finely minced garlic…not too much of the garlic as it will changes its flavor. The combination of the sauces gives this dish additional flavor.

Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com

The gravy is extremely fragrant with the different spices and ingredients used. The thickness of the gravy coats the yellow noodles very well.

Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com

We added two extra braised hard boiled eggs…the eggs are actually duck eggs. The egg tasted really good with its outer layer much firm and chewy. This extra order also comes with the lor gravy. I find the taste of Lor Mee gravy quite similar to the thick Lor sauce of the hawker food, Lorbak.

Add-on ingredients :
Pork RM1
Duck egg RM1
Three layer pork RM2

Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com

Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com

The owner, Ah Kheng has been selling Lor Mee for around fifteen years around town before settling down in Lean Thye coffee shop in Ah Quee Street. Ah Kheng’s stall is the only one occupying the coffee shop. Usually in the morning, the coffee shop is filled with customers just waiting for their bowl of Lor Mee from him.

Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com

They have small servings and also the XL ones for the heavy eaters.

Prices :
RM2.50 small
RM3.00 large
RM4.00 double XL

Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com

I know some friends are put-off by food with thick and slimy texture such as Lor Mee and Penang popular Hokkien dish, Bak Kee but hubby and I personally do enjoyed eating all of them. He was slurping away his bowl of Lor Mee until the last drop of gravy.

Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com

Ah Quee Street is a two way street and can be accessed from either Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling (formerly Pitt Street) or from Beach Street. Click here for the Map Location.

Penang Lor Mee at Ah Quee Street by what2seeonline.com

Lor Mee
Lean Thye Coffee Shop
Ah Quee Street
Penang

Business Hour : Breakfast from 7am till around 10am

H/P No : 012 5058887

Closed on Sunday and on special occasion

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 4th, 2009 at 5:23 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Lor Mee, Non-Halal, Noodles, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

ah….. my sil would loves this thick gravy types of lor mee. Will surely bring her for visit when she came back for holiday. lol

November 4th, 2009 at 9:19 pm

My mouth waters…

November 4th, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Errr… where is this place ah??

November 5th, 2009 at 8:22 am

OMG! defintiely a must have!

November 5th, 2009 at 8:44 am

yummylicious Penang Loh Mee….I love it! but always didnt get a chance to taste it whenever I go to Penang..too much good food there!!

November 5th, 2009 at 8:47 am

slurp! I can imagine now on how I am going to slurp those LOH down ….. yummy!

November 5th, 2009 at 9:56 am

It’s been a long time I had a decent bowl of lor-mee…looks yummylicious!

November 5th, 2009 at 2:29 pm

hmm, looks good enough. me not a fan, as you mentioned, of those sticky, starchy gravy.
but with the braised pork and eggs as accompaniments, i MIGHT just go someday.

November 5th, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Wow! Looks thick and yummy! It’s hard to find thick broth of lor mee in KL! :(

November 5th, 2009 at 4:16 pm

:p I’m never a fan of lor mee, guess that reveals that I’m not truly a Penangnite huh. :p
But if mix with some hokkien mee soup, I can accept that :)
Do they have this?

November 5th, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Food Paradise – There are a few nice lor mee stalls in town.

Ming Na – The noodle is that smooth, coated with the lor gravy.

NKOTB – If you are accessing from Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling, Ah Quee street is directly opposite the Masjid Kapitan Keling Mosque.

Big Boys Oven – Must try out the duck eggs…yummy.

SimpleGirl – Indeed plenty of food to eat in Pg but can always squeeze in a small bowl of lor mee too.

email2me – I am waiting to see how you do that :)

November 5th, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Little Inbox – Go over to this place at Ah Quee Street to try some, but not on Sunday.

J2Kfm – The gravy is very flavorful and pungent, do give it a try one day…maybe you might like it.

iamthewitch – It is quite easily found in Penang but not many are good.

allie – This stall only sell lor mee so there are no mixing with hokkien mee soup.

November 5th, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Nice photo shooting. Simple dish, but brings great satisfaction. :)

November 5th, 2009 at 10:43 pm
tanlh

There is one Lor Mee store located in a coffee shop behind Fima(now Giant) which I find to be the best that I have tasted so far.One thing unique about this store is that it comes with “sambal” and free flow of garlic source.Do try if you happened to be around that area in the morning.It closes at about 1pm daily.

November 6th, 2009 at 1:17 pm

just finish my lunch, yet see the lor mee, i lauuu nuaa..

November 6th, 2009 at 1:50 pm

tanlh – Will sure to check it out…thanks for sharing :)

taufulou – Haha…will take you to this Lor Mee stall for breakfast when you come back.

November 9th, 2009 at 9:04 pm
Maxweng

Hi CK Lam, long time din login ur blog liao…
Oh, this Loh mee stall is my breakfast time almost I’ll enjoy it every week day before working. This stall loh mee is the second generation as I ate it was an old man to do it, but since tht old man stop selling & pass to this young man to continue the business… …
For me, I do like last time old man cooking taste as compare with recent one, coz I like the soft taste compare with now are using more black vineger. Of coz, the duck egg is the most important thing in Loh mee as well… hahahaha… … That why last week I saw ur web page address on white board of this stall loh… … hahaha… …

November 27th, 2009 at 4:49 pm
david teh

i just when to penang for holiday and my friend from penang tell me that there have a nice n famous lor mee in penang..but will not find it easily cause it selling near lorong n some from penang also don’t know where is this place.the lor mee gravy very fragnant,the gravy very soft,full of egg..so you can feel the gravy like sharkfin..when you look at the gravy u will really have appitite to eat….n the braised egg…wa lau..like taiwan (metal egg) sure you will like it if after you taste..n you will never forget bout it…after i go back to kl n when i’m starving my mind keep thinking the lor(gravy) which never found n have that great n nice taste in our home town…why could i know this website?because i see this website on his stall the white board..i could never imagine this young guy could cook so nice food..hope you’ll free you may go to taste it..once you try it you will never want to eat other…

December 19th, 2009 at 12:25 pm
mermaid

this is the most nice lor mee in penang that i ever try…the less hair guy(the guy) really sensitive for the taste of food…he keep changing the taste to be famous for all the customer can accept and unforgetable taste! the duck egg really fragrance and the gravy sticky and yummy til the last scoop. aiyo,really think to get one now:)
as i know,he didn’t put black vinegar cause i sensitive and unlike if got put vinegar and somemore if the gravy mix with vinegar the taste will change be sour….however,how nice the taste we keep talk is useless,so try it own then you will know how good until hard to describe… for my suggestion,u can reserve or call up before go,because it mostly finish early…u will not regret if you never try if you are lor mee fans..:p

December 21st, 2009 at 1:16 am
Ben

Expensive & nothing special?

March 21st, 2010 at 12:06 am
Jason Thoe

U all should give it a try Lor mee sold at Super Tanker which is located at Lip Sin, Penang. It’s superb.

Thanks for sharing!

December 10th, 2010 at 9:54 am
ky

Maxweng – That ‘ old man ‘ was my deceased dad. He was the first owner of this lor mee stall. Thanks for like my dad’s cooking taste.

February 8th, 2011 at 12:18 pm
Lynn

All of you should come try the Lor Mee at One Corner Cafe located at Jalan Bawasah (Behind Giant Burmah Road). The Lor Mee is really ho chiak n ho lio!

June 28th, 2011 at 5:28 pm

1. Chapati in Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 26 2010 / 12pm:

[...] is located in Ah Quee Street, further up from the Lor Mee stall that I have tried several months ago. It serves freshly made chapati in a tiny little shack. This [...]

2. Chapati is a very tasty flatbread | Live & Real    May 28 2010 / 8am: