New Lane is truly a street food center in Penang and the place is jam packed with many hawker food stalls and food hunters. Tables are set up in the open, even occupying part of a parking lot of an office complex. The lane is accessible from Macalister Road and Dato Kramat Road. You have to bring a big appetite as there are many delicious goodies at this place.

There are a few stalls that I usually patronized. I love the Grill Chicken located in the Sin Yin Nam coffee shop. The chicken wings and drumsticks are simply delicious. The aroma is so seductive that could drive you insane.

New Lane Hawker Food by what2seeonline.com

Grill Chicken Wing at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

The Chee Cheong Fun (steamed flat rice roll) comes in different sauces depending on your preference. Sometimes I go for those with Hae Ko (shrimp paste sauce) and chili paste, without the sweet sauce. At times I like to have it served in curry soup with serving of pig blood and some taupok.

New Lane Hawker Food by what2seeonline.com

Hae Ko Chee Cheong Fun

New Lane Hawker Food by what2seeonline.comCurry Chee Cheong Fun

Chee Cheong Fun at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

Look out for the stall that sells roast meat, chicken and duck  with rice and porridge. We had our bowl of duck porridge together with a plate of mixed roast meat.

The duck porridge is relatively good with the flavorful brown ‘duck sauce’. The tender duck meat has a smoky aroma. The texture of the porridge is not those of the smooth type. It is grainy yet soft. The green chili sauce is hot and tangy, nice punch on the palate.

Duck Porridge at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

Roast duck meat in thick broth with flavorful sauce

Duck Porridge at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

Duck Porridge at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

The Satay stall is not to be missed. The richly marinated meat is grilled perfectly over charcoal, tender and moist served together with the tasteful peanut sauce.

Satay at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

Satay at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

Satay at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

For the more adventurous, do try out the Chu Chap Cheok. This stall is another great place besides the one located in Chowrasta Market. You won’t miss this stall as it is near the entrance of the road. Long strings of char siew and pig’s innards are seen hanging in front. of the stall.  The intestines are deep fried till crispy so much so one can eat on its own.

Chu Chap Cheok Porridge at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

Chu Chap Cheok Porridge at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

Chu Chap Cheok Porridge at New Lane by what2seeonline.com

I personally like to have dessert after a meal, and usually would end up having the apom. There are two types of Apom Manis. This one has a soft centered with crispy edges. This is a delicious light snack.

New Lane Hawker Food by what2seeonline.com

This version of Apom Manis has fillings of either sweet corns or sliced bananas…very appetizing.

New Lane Hawker Food by what2seeonline.com

For those who have not visited New Lane, do drop by and check out the stalls. Click here for the Map Location. Its location right beside Macalister Road and Sunway Hotel makes it a popular place for visitors and the locals.

New Lane Hawker Food by what2seeonline.com

I hope I get to hear about your favorite food in this lane!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 22nd, 2009 at 3:52 pm and is filed under Chee Cheong Fun, George Town, Hawker, Non-Halal, Penang, Porridge, Satay, Street Food. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

It is more of a tourist attraction.

November 22nd, 2009 at 8:19 pm

yeah, i love the curry mee there, especially their soup..yummy~

November 22nd, 2009 at 9:17 pm

personal favourite? the stall that sells hot tong sui, see koh thng etc.

November 22nd, 2009 at 9:24 pm

i used to be a die hard fan of the pork intestine porridge. but as the price increased, the quality decreases, so i am not crazy about it anymore.
and the other thing that i love the most is the grill chicken, especially grill chicken wings!

November 22nd, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Jason Wong – Nowadays most of the makan places are also patronized by tourist.

candlelyn – Haha…curry mee lover.

J2Kfm – The tong sui stall is popular and is sandwiched between the duck porridge and satay stall.

My Taste Heaven – That grill chicken is a must order…just love its well marinated taste.

November 22nd, 2009 at 11:07 pm
taukwa

my ‘not to be missed’ everytime I’m there is the Chu Chap Cheok. It is quite salty though. Satay is nice also.

November 23rd, 2009 at 1:09 am

Yeah….Apoh manis! I love both types!

November 23rd, 2009 at 1:44 am

i love the roasted duck porridge….and chu chap chok….

November 23rd, 2009 at 9:35 am

wow! bbq chicken drumstick! I think i have not seen any around here. hmm the duck porridge looks really good too.

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:16 am

my favourite??? the chu chap cheok lor!! my all time favourite!!! :)

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:17 am

Eh you never mentioned curry mee? :) I liked to eat that whenever I was there last time. :) And also the loh bak!

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:26 am

The grilled chicken wing is great! And the cuttlefish with water convolvus! So yummy!

November 23rd, 2009 at 10:38 am

I don’t have a fave since I’m not a Penangite or a regular there… but after reading this review… I totally want to be one! :D

November 23rd, 2009 at 11:25 am
Penang Tionghua

Yes, I love the chu cheong chok (intestine porridge). Hokkien mee is also suitable for me with the suan leong chor…

Also, the jiuhu engchai (hong chueh liao lei = spoken in our hui-an lingo)

November 23rd, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Very difficult to choose wor…I love almost all of them, but I have limited space in my tummy. :(

November 23rd, 2009 at 4:02 pm

wahh, right infront of my office now, my pick go to the Char Koay Kak near the SYN Kopitiam!!

but generally the food is a little over priced over here.

November 23rd, 2009 at 4:24 pm

my all time favourite hawker area, especially the apom manis still the best…and fried jawa mee and the pangang fish!

aiyoo..u making me drooll~

November 23rd, 2009 at 4:45 pm

will usually bring friends from out of town here as it has a pretty good mix of hawker food, though i do have to agree that they’ve hiked up the price over the years. guess its always like that one lo…femes d…price increase!!
but i always order the Batu Maung satay when i’m here!! yummmm! :)

November 23rd, 2009 at 5:34 pm
Bris77

Love the Almond Soup there.. bcoz not many places sells this dessert.. but why they never serve other tables except fr whoever sits inside the kopitiam :(

November 23rd, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Chu Chap Cheok is my favourite but I don’t like the deepfried version of intestines. I prefer the non-fried type which is very soft, melt into your mouth with just soft bites.

November 23rd, 2009 at 9:47 pm

I like the dessert stall here! The other stalls are all pretty decent, and it’s a convenient all-in-one stop, but I do think there are better individual ones around the island.

November 24th, 2009 at 7:10 am
charmaine

i love the ckt, lok bak + prawn fritters.

November 24th, 2009 at 9:28 am
artchan

there used to be a chee chap chok in cintra street. has it moved? Any new address?

November 24th, 2009 at 9:29 am

i like those chicken wings!

November 24th, 2009 at 10:02 am
Jessie

As for me,I love the pork porridge,fish soup mee hoon or fried fish mee hoon from one of the coffee shop which is located just opposite the Tang Yuen stall and not forgetting the almond tea which is also one of my favorite.

November 26th, 2009 at 4:17 pm
Jessie

For your info. the chee chap cheok from Cintra street have already moved to the Chowraster market and will be operating only during morning session and one bowl with add on only cost RM3.00.

November 26th, 2009 at 4:23 pm
Lishan

New Lane.. I love the congee .. and there was a stall selling fried fish head beehoon.. dunno where they moved to.. I love tht too..

November 29th, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Hihi, been a loyal reader ever since when I was studying oversea 3 years ago!! Being the little Penang kia, I love the Mixed Pork Congee (Chu Chap Cheok) the most!!

Was able to bring a Taiwanese friend over and tried out the food there!! The comment given is simply: “Yummilicious”!!

Lastly, I would like to give my supports here! Keep up your efforts in promoting the local M’sian authentic food~! Thanks!

November 29th, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Thanks for the response. Will be in Penang next week, so looking forward to eating what locals eat! Yummmy!

June 30th, 2010 at 11:44 am
Sammy

As for me, my favourite hawker stalls at New Lane are: @Sin Yin Nan Kopitiam: chi cheong chok (pork intestine porridge) & law mee.
@Kopitiam behind Sin Yin Nan: fried bee hoon with deep fried fish fillet, roast pork rice. @along the road side: chee cheong fun, almond soup (dessert).

July 26th, 2010 at 10:23 am
Sam

Will be flying to Penang this Saturday! My first maiden trip to this food paradise.

Can’t wait to savour all the delicious food in Penang! :)

February 24th, 2011 at 4:18 pm

1. Seafood at DeHappy Seafood Restaurant, Macalister Road Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Mar 20 2011 / 11am:

[...] right on busy Macalister Road. This restaurant which is just a stone’s throw away from the hawker stalls at New Lane, specializes in [...]

2. Penang 24-hour Food Tour Guide | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 14 2013 / 10am:

[...] – 8pm: New Lane Lorong Baru, off Jalan Macalister Open daily, 5pm-11pm New Lane is a good place for mouth watering street food including grilled fish, roti canai, satay, Hokkien [...]