What a Great Time! I had a Taste of Martin Yan’s Cooking!

Chef Martin Yan was in Malaysia recently upon his appointment as the brand ambassador for GE Monogram. I had a great food adventure watching the international celebrity chef in a live cooking demonstration which was held in collaboration with General Electric and Kollektion Distribution Sdn Bhd at Starhill Kuala Lumpur.

The event was presented exclusively for the YTL Platinum Plus members and the media.

Chef Martin Yan & CK Lam at Starhill Kuala Lumpur

Martin Yan, the familiar face on TV that all of us grew up with

Chef Martin Yan pioneered among others the classic daily Chinese cooking show ‘Yan Can Cook’ and has hosted over 3,000 shows broadcast worldwide. He has written thirty cookbooks, including the award-winning Martin Yan’s Feast, Martin Yan’s Asian Favorites, Chinese Cooking for Dummies, Martin Yan’s Chinatown Cooking (intro by Julia Child), Martin Yan’s Quick & Easy, and his latest, Martin Yan’s China (a cookbook that documents his travels and culinary discoveries throughout the far reaches of China.

Chef Martin Yan of Yan Can Cook in Starhill Kuala Lumpur

Chef Martin Yan started off the demonstration with his friendly and hilarious introduction. The chef in person is exactly the same from the television personality that we grew up knowing. It was fun watching him whipping up the few dishes starting from the preparation of the ingredients and at the same time demonstrated his cutting skills on the ingredients used.

Chef Martin Yan - Culinary Experience with GE Monogram in Starhill, KL

Chef Martin Yan with his assistant, Chef Sunny from Tai Thong Group

Chef Martin Yan came down from the stage showing and sharing with the audience the dishes that were prepared. All the audience got to taste the dishes that he whipped out.

Chef Martin Yan of Yan Can Cook in Starhill Kuala Lumpur

In between the demo, the celebrity chef introduces the GE Monogram kitchen appliances such as the cooker hood, hobs, and ovens which will revolutionize home cooking. All these new appliances were designed to provide solid performance at an affordable price.

Chef Martin Yan - Culinary Experience with GE Monogram in Starhill, KL Chef Martin Yan - Culinary Experience with GE Monogram in Starhill, KL

Mr Vincent Chew, the Group Executive Director of Kollektion Distribution Sdn Bhd (member of the Pensonic Holdings Berhad) was on hand to pick the lucky winners from the audience for Chef Martin Yan’s China cookbook. Chef Martin Yan presented the books and took photos with the winners, followed by the autography session.

Vincent Chew - Group Executive Director of Kollektion Distribution Sdn Bhd

I really enjoyed this cooking demonstration and great to see Chef Martin Yan in person!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, December 28th, 2009 at 11:40 am and is filed under Chef, Events, Invited Review, KL / PJ. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

yes! Martin Yan and his fortune cookies.

December 28th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Did you win the lucky draw book? It was a fun event!! :)

December 28th, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Awww, I remember Chef Martin Yan from when I was just a kid! :D

December 28th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

foodbin – Every fan remember those cookies…lol

iamthewitch – It was great to be at this event although I did not got chosen during the draw.
I am glad you had his book :)

Life for Beginners – He is the exact personality as the one we watch on the tube…very friendly. It was great meeting him in person.

December 28th, 2009 at 3:22 pm

BRAVO!!! WELL Done for bringing yet another celebrity to your blog ;-) Nicely written!

I shall ALWAYS remember Martin for his tele shows when I was growing up, cooking with “magic powder” which I realised was cornflour ;-)

Ah… the joys and innocence of television in the years gone past!

December 28th, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Ah yes…I remember watching his cooking shows while growing up. My mum makes me watch them with her. =)

December 28th, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Julian Si – I like that word “magic powder” is cornflour.

Bangsar-bAbE – Just shows that your mum is also a fan of Martin Yan :)

December 28th, 2009 at 11:20 pm

wish to have his cook book and with his signature on it. :)

December 29th, 2009 at 10:52 am

woah..your location at star hill 1 loh..
nice nice..s o dissapointed didnt win the book~

December 29th, 2009 at 11:35 am

I too grew up watching ‘yan can cook’..and he is still cooking. Its great of you to watch him cook in person.

December 29th, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Just syok syok browsing around ppl’s blog. So just to say hi and let you know I got come here before. :P

December 29th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

guess what? I bought his book thinking that i had no chance to win…then i won the book!

December 29th, 2009 at 5:18 pm

NKOTB – Hope he will stop over in Penang in the near future.

taufulou – Luckily xin & witch won his cookbook.

Sweet Jasmine – I really enjoyed every moment of it. Sure is different from watching in the tube.

Garf1eld – Nice to have you dropping by and would be great to see you browsing around again.

xin – You are very lucky…everyone was hoping to be the chosen one…lol

December 29th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I always remember the TV programme “Wok with Yan” kind of entertaining and making Chinese cooking looks so simple. The Ang Mo really loves it…. Happy New Year

December 30th, 2009 at 6:36 am
Crystal

I remember “Wok with Yan” was hosted by the late Stephen Yan, not MArtin Yan.
You all could be talking about Stephen Yan when you said you’ve watched him since you’re a kid.
Martin Yan was only known to the Malaysian in later years.

December 30th, 2009 at 9:40 am
Crystal

Ignore the word “late”.
How did I get the idea that he’s passed away??!
Btw…Stephen created the famous terms ‘wonder powder’.

December 30th, 2009 at 9:49 am

Sin Tai Lim – The TV show “Wok with Yan” that you mentioned was not hosted by Martin Yan but by another chef known as Stephen Yan. I personally have not watched Stephen Yan’s cook show.

Crystal – Yes, Stephen Yan hosted the ‘Wok with Yan’ in the much earlier years whereas Martin Yan hosted the ‘Yan Can Cook’.

Martin Yan was more known to Malaysians through the cooking show broadcast in the television. Most of the youngsters grew up watching Martin Yan’s show.

December 30th, 2009 at 10:21 am

it was an awesome day! lol!

January 4th, 2010 at 9:52 am
pink lady

i use to watch the Yan Can Cook cooking programme during my childhood.. I love his programme especially his cutting techniques. Awesome!!!

January 9th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

No wonder I thought Stephen has slimmed down and not funny anymore. Thanks for the correction if not I will be having the wrong thought all the while.

January 19th, 2010 at 6:21 am

Big Boys Oven – Interesting outing for all of us!

pink lady – Yeah…many of us grow up watching him.

hApPy HaPpY – It is ok. It might happen as both has the same surname…haha.

January 19th, 2010 at 12:36 pm