During the weekend I enjoyed a wonderful lunch with friends in the newly opened Hainanese Delights Restaurant in Penang. This place is located in the low rise 1926 Heritage Hotel on Burma Road, and emerges as the newest addition to the number of Hainanese restaurant in town. This restaurant is operated by a Hainanese, while the food is cooked by a Hainanese chef too. The menu of this restaurant brings a selection of Hainanese specialties and some western-style dishes.

Macaroni Pie at Hainanese Delights Restaurant in 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang

The nostalgic Hainanese cuisine, Macaroni Pie…

Straight to the cuisines we indulged that day!

Macaroni Pie – I was delighted to see the Macaroni Pie in their menu. This is one memorable dish for me as I have only tasted this specialty from a handful of restaurants that served this dish in the eighties. Now there are hardly restaurants around town that serve this authentic Hainanese dish. The last one that I had was a year ago at The Bungalow in Lone Pine Hotel. The younger generations will now be able to enjoy this type of pie at Hainanese Delights. The pie with macaroni, chicken, carrots and button mushroom has a topping crust made with meringue.

Macaroni Pie at Hainanese Delights Restaurant in 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang

RM25 for the beautiful Macaroni pie!

Chicken Pie – The pie with a beautifully browned crispy crust was filled with a smooth and creamy mixture of chicken, vegetable and other ingredients. Everyone loves it and ended up ordering another one. For this pie dishes, it is better to pre-order to avoid disappointment.

Chicken Pie at Hainanese Delights Restaurant in 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang

Perfectly baked crust to top off the pie…

Chicken Pie at Hainanese Delights Restaurant in 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang

RM25 for the Chicken pie

The next dish was the Braised Lamb with Lady’s Fingers – The thick pieces of tastefully braised New Zealand Lamb cook in Hainanese style served with lady’s finger was absolutely mouth watering. Perfect to go with rice or just eaten on its own! Yummy!

Braised Lamb with Lady's Fingers at Hainanese Delights Restaurant in 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang

RM18 per portion

Hainanese Chicken Rice – This noted dish from the Hainanese cuisine has poached chicken with chicken innards accompanied with condiments of minced ginger and spicy chili sauce. The rice was very aromatic according to some of our friends. I personally enjoyed it very much for its authenticity, the gravy was really flavorful coupled with the sauces.

Hainanese Chicken Rice at Hainanese Delights Restaurant in 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang

RM10 per portion

The following three dishes have flavors of Nyonya cooking infused in it.

Choon Piah (Hainanese Spring Roll) – Big size deep fried spring rolls filled with strips of  turnip (mengkuang), cabbage, Chinese mushroom and crab meat. The rolls were served along with the special “east meets west” Worcester dipping sauce. Perfect accompliments to our meal that afternoon!

Hainanese Spring Roll at Hainanese Delights Restaurant in 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang

RM6 Per Roll

Inche Kabin (Deep Fried Marinated Chicken) – I was still pondering as to the originality of the Inche Kabin as whether it is a Nyonya dish or Hainanese dish. Apparently according to the owner, Mr Wong, though this maybe a Hainanese dish but it is greatly influenced by the flavors of the Nyonya’s. Thanks to him for sharing some insight into this dish. Coupled with the Worcester sauce, this is really a dish to savor!

Inche Kabin at Hainanese Delights Restaurant in 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang

RM15 Per Portion

Chicken Curry Kapitan – There are more than one way of preparing this dish and this restaurant has it made using their own specially flavored curry sauce. The curry is savory with the aromatic of the spices on the lighter side.

Chicken Curry Kapitan at Hainanese Delights Restaurant in 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang

RM12 Per Portion

Check out their special soup…

Pages: 1 2

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, December 21st, 2009 at 3:00 pm and is filed under Chicken Rice, George Town, Hainanese Cuisine, Hotels, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Pork Free. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wah..lucikly me is penang-kia..no nid fly all the time for food hunt

December 21st, 2009 at 4:55 pm

yaya… agree.. Macaroni Pie is a great dish… no doubts…

but wonder if it still retain the “koh cha bi”…

December 21st, 2009 at 6:17 pm

See! I was not wrong after all. Inche Kabin is a Nyonya dish.

December 22nd, 2009 at 12:11 am

nikel – Besides Penang there are many places with tasty good food, like Ipoh & Malacca. Each state has their own outstanding food.

PenangTuaPui – I find the Macaroni pie delicious…do try it.

Jason Wong – The chicken pieces were well marinated.

December 22nd, 2009 at 7:00 am

wow… so fast!? :)
we both also had a great time with you all the other day too!!!

December 22nd, 2009 at 7:39 am

Merry Christmas to you & your family

December 22nd, 2009 at 8:41 am

wow… what a nice place to dine in….. another makan place. ^-^

December 22nd, 2009 at 8:42 am

The macaroni pie sure brings back memories.

December 22nd, 2009 at 9:43 am

NKOTB – It was a nice outing and we really enjoyed the company of everyone and also the tasty food :)

hApPy HaPpY – Same to you too. Saw your great Penang trip posts.

FoOd PaRaDiSe – Do bring your family to try out the food. There are many more varieties besides those that we had.

foodbin – Indeed…and I am glad we can savor this dish again.

December 22nd, 2009 at 10:20 am

it was indeed a yummy meal with great company :)
i really need to stay away from that chicken pie i tell you… i’ve had it like 4 times the past month! later all my new year baju kenot wear! hahaha

December 22nd, 2009 at 11:05 am

My first time seeing a macaroni pie! Must try it next time I go to Penang. I’ll call you ok! :) I’m drooling at the chicken pie and spring rolls too.. yummmmm…

December 22nd, 2009 at 3:53 pm

lingzie – Who could resist such delicious pies. I know I can’t…haha. Thanks for introducing the place to us.

iamthewitch – I welcome both you and your hubby to Penang…just make sure you bring a big appetite lol.

December 22nd, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Weasel Coffee at RM8? That’s considerably cheap, if that’s the real Kopi Luwak.

December 22nd, 2009 at 8:02 pm

can I have more pie! :)

December 23rd, 2009 at 1:06 pm

i was hoping to see roti babi in the post cos i was reminded of Yut Kee, the Hainanese kopitiam…haha. it’s good to know that there are more choices in Chinese cuisine. with a Malaysian touch to it! ;D

December 23rd, 2009 at 1:31 pm

The chicken pie is da bomb! Looks fantastic and my stomach growling by just looking at it :D

December 23rd, 2009 at 8:59 pm

The Chicken Pie looks more like chicken stew with cream in Linzie’s post. But then who am I to say, I am not Hainanese!

December 24th, 2009 at 3:42 am

The pie is special.
Wishing you and your family Merry Christmas!

December 24th, 2009 at 8:32 am
Crystal

Inche Kabin is most likely a Malaysian Hainanese dish, just like Bak Kut Teh to the Hokkien, which is authentic to Malaysia.

December 24th, 2009 at 1:54 pm

The Hor Fun seem like different with what we usually have~~ bigger sheet~~

Merry X’mas & Happy New Year!!!

December 24th, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Oh ho ho. I’d go there simply for the macaroni pie. It looks delish!

And this would be a great time to wish you and your loved ones a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year! :D

December 24th, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year ! More food is on da way !

December 24th, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family! Will ask my sisters to try it out soon.;)

December 25th, 2009 at 1:24 am

woah, the chicken pie looks yummy!!

~Merry Christmas~

December 25th, 2009 at 3:56 pm

fulamak! already up this posting..so fast!
great outing loh~ n sorry i have to leave early that day.:D

December 29th, 2009 at 11:37 am

wow..macaroni pie..Hainanese?? must show my mum d..she’s a Hainanese..but I love the choon pia the most..i will go and try the the hainanese restaurant at Heritage Hotel

December 30th, 2009 at 2:03 pm
ZeekNotGeek

hi CK, thanks for the recommendation. as usual, being away from penang so long, your blog will be my “bible” for good eats in town. im going to check it out today!!!

January 2nd, 2010 at 10:50 am
Chin Tooh Lund

had a really bad experience there today. got in and was told to sit in lobby to wait for a table. sat down for 30minutes and then notice that other new people are just being seated while i’m still waiting. i even walked in to ask again and notice that there is an empty table but again was told to wait. the bossman even ushered my mom to another table where there are already people sitting. then he goes to clean up the store area to ask us to sit there. what kind of hospitality is this?

getting this kind of service, there is a cantonese saying that goes… “Sek loong yoke thoh moh mei er” – loosely translated to, “Eat dragon meat also no taste!”. pls buck up and do stop blaming the immigration officers for capturing ur workforce. get legal workers!!!!

Maybe it is a one off incident. Hopefully the management will look into this matter.

July 24th, 2010 at 9:31 pm
Micheal Foo

I will be visiting this Restaurant tomorrow and post my feedback after that. I am a Hainannese and see whether the food is up to our standard.

It will be great of you sharing your makan outing with everyone.

July 24th, 2010 at 10:58 pm
Sammy

Hi Micheal, How do you like the food there? I only been to Hai Aun @ Burmah Rd.

July 26th, 2010 at 10:08 am
Davidjerk

Hi,
Take a look at their official website.

March 18th, 2013 at 8:58 am

1. How do you make roasted garlic mushrooms like from Buffalo wild wings? » ask the tinternet    Dec 21 2009 / 11pm:

[...] Hainanese Delights Restaurant @ 1926 Heritage Hotel Penang … [...]

2. TAIRVLYN’S BLOG» Blog Archive » Dec 2010 – birthday celebrations    Jan 10 2011 / 11pm:

[...] a single photo of the food! hahaha. so the photos of the food shown below were taken from another website. The food…. super [...]