Imagine yourself sitting on the front of a house built on stilts overlooking the sea; indulging in the wonderful flavors of home cooked Thai Food. A group of us food bloggers had such an experience at Lang Sae Lee, located in the Tan Jetty along Weld Quay recently.

Penang Thai Food - Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay by what2seeonline.com

Super-appetizing & lip-smacking kerabu awaited us!

I saw this place during the boat ride that I had on one of the events celebrating the first anniversary of George Town’s award of UNESCO World Heritage Site. This house looks out over the sea and the passing boats.

Penang Thai Food - Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay by what2seeonline.com

Penang Thai Food - Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay by what2seeonline.com

The owner, Madam Lee offers Thai dishes of appetizers, salad, soup, noodles and main dishes with fresh and authentic ingredients from her residential house in the jetty.

We kick off our dinner with a delicious and appetizing kerabu! This dish has a balance of sour, sweet, spicy and salty flavors with fiery chopped chili padi which had everyone grabbing additional cold drinks. Super refreshing dish to start off our meal!

Penang Thai Food - Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay by what2seeonline.com

Next we moved on to the Fish Cake (RM1.20 per piece) – The savory fish paste pancake with fine strips of kaffir lime leaves and vegetables comes with the uplifting spicy cucumber chili dip.

Penang Thai Food - Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay by what2seeonline.com

This was followed by the rice varieties which included the…

The Belacan Fried Rice (RM4) was served with strips of omelette, stir fried pork, fresh shallots, dried shrimps, unripe mango and chili padi. I like the sweet, salty, tangy and hint of spicy flavor of this plate of rice.

Penang Thai Food - Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay by what2seeonline.com

Another popular rice dish is the Thai Holy Basil Rice (RM4). This one-dish meal had topping of stir fried chicken in sweet soy sauce with garlic and plenty of holy basil leaves served on a bed of steamed rice. The spiciness from the red chili and the sweet taste of the holy basil leaves makes this a very flavorful dish.

Penang Thai Food - Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay by what2seeonline.com

As for the Tom Yam Fried Rice (RM4), I have to say that I have had better ones before.

Penang Thai Food - Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay by what2seeonline.com

Click here to the next page for more of other dishes…

Pages: 1 2

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 at 9:45 pm and is filed under Chu Char, George Town, International, Penang, Thai Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Your great shooting skills have made the food look even more appetising… I enjoy looking at your photos…

December 31st, 2009 at 12:53 am

Oh belacan fried rice is my fave fried rice… and this version looks very colourful with the extra toppings. Yums! :D

December 31st, 2009 at 6:23 am

hidden gems indeed….great place for authentic n cheap Thai food ya…will note down…thanks for sharing

December 31st, 2009 at 8:38 am

Oh I remember seeing this Tan Jetty before… Anyway, just thought the pad thai looks a lot like char kuey teow! LOL

December 31st, 2009 at 8:58 am

Ming Na – Thank you :)

Life for Beginners – Indeed flavorful too.

SimpleGirl – You are most welcome.

iamthewitch – The look is similar but the taste and texture is far apart.

December 31st, 2009 at 9:15 am

Oh, this is the one that I missed out. :)
I agreed with iamthewitch, the Pad Thai looks like Penang CKT….

Petai isn’t better with Prawns than Chicken?? The petai looks real fresh… so greenish.

December 31st, 2009 at 9:47 am

Are you using your new camera to capture the photos? Looks very tempting la!

December 31st, 2009 at 10:05 am

yum! it was indeed a very enjoyable meal (especially like the belacan rice and the basil chicken). i think i’m bringing another group of friends there again this sunday! lol they’ve been asking me to bring them there since they saw my post. :P

December 31st, 2009 at 11:54 am

Seems like everyone is talking about the good food in this place. Can’t wait to pay them a visit. Happy New Year to you and your family!

December 31st, 2009 at 12:08 pm

NKOTB – Will have to check out if they serve it with prawns or not…

FoodnTravella – Still practising…not really grabbing hold of it yet.

lingzie – I went there twice after this outing and tried out a few other dishes.

allie – Do try out the food plus it is also a nice place for photography.

December 31st, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I too agree with Iamthewitch on the Pad Thai. May be it is a the Thai version of Penang Char Koay Teow. hehehe….

December 31st, 2009 at 5:15 pm
otyew

thai food is made from cheap ingredient but sadly, most of the restaurant here are making a kill for it. does th fish cake cost rm1.20/pc?

December 31st, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Jason Wong – The look and the taste is entirely different.

otyew – That is the price quoted by them.

December 31st, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Looks interesting and tempting, I like Thai food a lot. Will find time to try out this place. Happy New Year and may there be more delicious adventures ahead in 2010!

January 1st, 2010 at 5:51 pm

These are all the food that I would love to indulge in….YUM! I really miss them. I wish I know how to cook them. Beautiful pictures. A very nice blog!

January 3rd, 2010 at 4:03 am

durianberry – Happy New Year to you too. Really miss out on your food blog.

MaryMoh – Thanks for dropping by my blog. I am sure you will be able to dish out those yummmy food with more practise and experimenting.

January 3rd, 2010 at 11:58 am

it was defitely well recommend place to dine, so natural and just marvellous!

January 4th, 2010 at 9:46 am

weii..how come you guys post so fast 1..

heheh..thank u for bringing us to such a hidden wonderfull place lei..

luckily the fridge is infront of us that day. :D

January 4th, 2010 at 10:32 am
Lee Kok Siang

The service offered is very slow. Food is very expensive. Would be my first and last time there…

January 8th, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Since this place is only a few months old, they are still learning how to cope with the growing business.

I find their dishes inconsistent. First time I went, their belachan rice was yummy. Second time I went, it was too dry and not so great.

Your picture of the tomyam fried rice seems dry. The one I ordered was very oily but was quite tasty.

I enjoyed the afternoon (lunch time) ambience cos the mud smell is not so overpowering but I find the food so-so only. The price is very inexpensive though. So, can’t really complain much about it.

I’d go back for the ambiance though.

January 18th, 2010 at 10:20 am

I love mango salad.. by just looking at it makes me drool.

January 25th, 2010 at 4:29 am

Lee Kok Siang – I do agree with you, the service can be a bit slow at times.

Eleen – Hope they will be able to cope with the unusual crowd and maintained the consistency of the food.

mycookinghut – I personally like kerabu mango too…mango is one of the better fruit for making this appetizing salad.

January 25th, 2010 at 4:44 pm
praman sae lau

(Sorry.I would write in Thai.)
??????????? ????????????? ????????????????Star Cruise ?????????? ??????????comment ?????????????????????????????

February 25th, 2010 at 12:28 pm
Disappointer

A very disappointed visit, the food taste is totally not Thai style i think any Malay could cook it, the portion is too small (5 of us the portion on only sufficient for 2) & expensive RM2/pc fish cake ..omg … & TERRIBLE service, the owner even s”shoo” us away cos there are no place for us & even after ordered we are DEMANDED to finish the food fast so we could let other customers to take our seat…. there are lots of Thai restaurant way too good compare to this …my gang of strongly DO NOT recommend anyone to go there anymore after how we being treated.

June 13th, 2010 at 10:58 pm
vincelytan

hi,im vincely here,im quit intrested with this place,can u please tel me more about the food there.thank q very much

December 27th, 2010 at 6:30 pm
Vincent

Madam Ck.Lam, may I know where u usual park your car? i found difficulty to get a parking area along the jetty road! plz advice, TQ!

March 18th, 2011 at 9:16 am
soanney liew

waoooo,goood thai food that i ever have.although,,,,,a bit of kuii(exspensive)…but,,,really good for everything that we try,,,,some more the view is nice…..

May 15th, 2011 at 10:13 pm
Maxine

Great food, amazing scenery with high tide. Not super cheap but reasonable compared to other Thai restaurants. Owner quite cordial to us, maybe was harried on busy day.

May 17th, 2011 at 1:47 pm

1. Penang : informations, photos, carte, vue satellite    Jan 01 2010 / 2am:

[...] : 100.2500000° Aux environs : Bukit MertajamGeorge Town (Penang) Liens connexes : Penang Thai Food – Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay | What2See …Imagine yourself sitting on the front of a house built on stilts overlooking the sea; indulging in [...]

2. Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jan 07 2010 / 1am:

[...] Penang Thai Food – Lang Sae Lee in Tan Jetty, Weld Quay [...]