Nasi Kandar Line Clear right on the busy Penang Road has been around for more than forty-five years and is one of the famous nasi kandar stall in Malaysia. This place is usually very busy and packed with office workers and tourist alike.

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

Savory and fragrant Nasi Briyani

Nasi Kandar Line Clear is located in a narrow alley…

Penang - Nasi Kandar Line Clear

My last visit at Line Clear is during the meet-up with blogger Wilson & wife Rachel who is in Penang with other MAS Bloggers on the Makan Penang Trip via Flymas.Mobi.1

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

Straight right into the great meal!

First things first, when you arrive at Line Clear, be prepared to line up and wait if you want to eat. The waiting time depends on the queue. Those lining up at the end of the long queue will have to stand under the hot sun but the movement is relatively fast.

The interesting part of waiting is that I get to watch the food being cooked. The aroma of the pungent curries really had my tummy growling.

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

Pot of chicken curry & lady finger

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

The ever popular prawn curry, yummy!

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

Besides the curries which are rich in spices flavor, Line Clear offers many delicious dishes to go along with the white rice or the savory and fragrant Nasi Briyani. Delicious choices include curry prawns, fried chicken, fish, squid’s eggs and beef which can be ordered as individual dishes or set on top of the plate of rice. The prices are charged according to your selection. Do take note of what you are ordering.

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

The Nasi Briyani flavored with many spices is a popular item

Most customers like to have their rice topped with a mixture (campur) of  the palatable curries and gravies. If you do not fancy having the rice flooded with the gravies, do let them know ahead. This plate of rice with a huge deep-fried chicken drumstick, fish, squid’s egg, fried egg and a small portion of rice cost RM11. Indeed a plate of yummy nasi…

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

Nasi Briyani with seafood…just awesome!

Nasi Kandar Line Clear on Penang Road by what2seeonline.com

Nasi Briyani with meaty choices of fried chicken and beef rendang

The spicy meal is cooled down with glasses of cool sirap limau (lime juice), ais kosong (ice cold water) and sirap ros (rose syrup). This food outlet on the island is not to be missed! Click here for the Map Location.

Nasi Kandar Line Clear
Behind 177 Penang Road
Penang
Tel : 04 2614440

Business Hour : 24 Hours

Closed every one fortnight on Tuesday and from 1pm – 2 pm for Friday prayers

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 at 11:13 am and is filed under George Town, Halal, Mamak/Indian, Nasi Kandar/ Nasi Briyani, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

This nasi kandar is one of the few oldskools that is still standing tall .

January 12th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

i use to visit this stall once a week when i study in penang…really miss their nasi kandar, especially their curry prawn..

January 12th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

ahhhh, my all time fav nasi kandar stall! so hard to resist them~

January 12th, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Jason Wong – That is why people are willing to keep standing and wait for their turn.

squall – We must go and makan the nasi on your next visit.

taufulou – You did enjoyed yourself at this place on yr last trip.

January 12th, 2010 at 1:30 pm

still remember my dad bought a packet of this nasi kandar back home for our supper. it brings good memory. :)

January 12th, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Just wonder if there’ll be a new branch going to open soon at Bayan Lepas, just before the Bayan Lepas police station.

January 12th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

i am salivating.

January 12th, 2010 at 3:12 pm
mamak&mami

I grew up in Penang, as far as I can remember line clear is where you get the best kari for nasi kandar in the whole of penang, other than my grandma that is..I make sure I get a plate everytime I come home..

January 12th, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I heard so much of the place, I even tell people of the place but I have not even try the food whenever I am in Penang what a shame…. got ganja in the food?

January 12th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

NKOTB – I sometimes do buy back the nasi home when the weather is very hot.

Little Inbox – Not too sure about that myself. It would be nice having one outlet there.

foodbin – I am hungry too looking at those plates of nasi :)

mamak&mami – Sure is a supporter of Line Clear…yeah!

hApPy HaPpY – I think your whole family will like the food here.

January 12th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

The first time I had this, I luv it! But I have to share it with someone cos the portion is too big for me :P

January 12th, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Drooling! This stall is in my hunting list and yet I still unable to find a schedule to squeeze during night time!

Thanks CK for sharing this out :-)

p/s: I have linked your website in my food blog, let me know if you have any concern or suggestion. Thanks.

January 12th, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Wow, such a mouth-watering plate of rice! LOL My stomach growling dy. Haha

January 12th, 2010 at 5:35 pm
Anonymous

Line Clear or Hussein? IMO Hussein is better =/

January 12th, 2010 at 6:13 pm

never forget me too :P hehe
i like their curry a lot, best compatible with just white rice :)

January 12th, 2010 at 9:37 pm

allie – Order nasi kecil…lol

Hong CN – The place is open for business 24 hours a day…haha. Try to squeeze in an hour.
Btw…thanks for the link, i will link yours too!

iamthewitch – Now you need two plates…one for your hubby :)

Anonymous – I have yet to try Hussein. Can you kindly share more details with me?

ai wei – Who could forget such a pretty girl. I will try out your idea and order white rice with the dishes for a change.

January 12th, 2010 at 11:00 pm

line clear, great nasi kandar, also makes me more respect you, CK :)

January 13th, 2010 at 9:51 am
Jessie

Used to be one of favourite Nasi Kandar outlet and I luv their fish curry but it’s been a long time since my last visit,must go and try one day.Thks for the reminder.

January 13th, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Ooh, that first platter — it’s a gorgeous display of Nasi Briyani… makes me wish I was up North instead of down South right now. Eh, maybe I skip KL and fly straight from JB to Penang now? ;)

January 13th, 2010 at 5:01 pm

samlee860407 – You are doing a fine intro of the food too!

Jessie – You are most welcome.

Life for Beginners – Flying straight up north sounds fantastic but unfortunately I am down in KL at the moment.
Will bring you to this nasi kandar and proceed with the badam on your next visit :)

January 13th, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I must visit this place when I visit to Penang, look so delicious!!

January 15th, 2010 at 6:07 pm
Anonymous

@CK Lam – it’s located at little India. opposite Kuan Im Teng. just a 5 minutes walk. http://wikimapia.org/14469674/Restoran-Tajuddin-Hussain . Hope you’ll go there for a review soon =D

January 18th, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Pricey yes, but supposedly the BEST on the island. Heard that the Kampung Melayu version also very nice right? Fav of the ex-PM.

January 22nd, 2010 at 4:20 pm
henry

haha, a good stall of nasi kandar indeed. i usually visit the place on late nights…besides the hot & spicy fried ayam merah, the murtabak is also super tasty. it has to be the best & most filling murtabak in penang i found so far…& guess what… it’s much cheaper than murtabak in otehr mamak stall i get…good food for a fair price i’ll say.

January 31st, 2010 at 5:12 am

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) – Would be happy to take you around town for the yummy food.

Anonymous – Thanks for the map…

J2Kfm – Have yet to try out the famous KM stall. Will post about it when I do.

henry – Ok…murtabak will be my next order in Line Clear :)

February 4th, 2010 at 1:16 pm
ita joe

tempat makannye sedap tapi bila duduk makan bau kencing kucing kuat ooo.

December 4th, 2010 at 9:09 pm
belle

actually, there’s another place called NASI BERATUR. Penangites should know the place. its along the Kuan Yin Theng road, next to the heritage Masjid Kapitan Keling along Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling (formerly Pitt Street). u literally have to “beratur” and wait patiently for your food. :)

February 23rd, 2011 at 2:30 pm
anita

I miss line clear so much. Used to go there once upon a time during my study years. I think i will try after raya..

July 29th, 2011 at 5:50 am
hlwong88

Am going to penang October, will sure try out this stall. Look at the photo already make me hungry. Malaysia food I lov you. Yummy yummy

August 19th, 2011 at 4:35 pm
Jasni Jaal

Had dinner at Line Clear last nite by chance. Went with 2 other friends. True indeed very delicious. We had like 2 chickens, 2 prawns, 2 squids, 2 beef, 2 chicken liver, 2 boiled eggs, 4 plates of rice and drinks for all three of us. All for only RM48. And the thing that really makes the difference is that the rice is really steaming hot. Highly recommended.

February 23rd, 2012 at 8:04 pm
Angie

It’s our 1st trip to Penang. Was so excited! Arrived yesterday & went there last night about 6:30pm but was hugely disappointed when the old man was serving our food with his bare hands.. I mean he was literally grabbing the chicken using his bare finger, then the fried egg and pushed the the cut up cucumbers into my plate and handed the plate to me. I lost my appetite there & then :( no I didnt have the courage to taste my nasi kandar :( when we’re leaving we saw a customer was checking out the fried chickens & lift one up to smell it :( i’m sorry i know most of you love this place but honestly this is what i experienced last night.

April 24th, 2012 at 9:41 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 26 2012 / 5pm:

[...] Food Court] Mua Chee [Gurney Drive] Nasi Kandar Beratur [Masjid Kapitan Keling 10.30pm onwards] Nasi Kandar Line Clear [Upper Penang Road] Nasi Kandar Sulaiman [Jalan Dato Keramat] Nasi Kandar [Air Itam Wah Meng Kopitiam] Nasi Kandar [...]