I’ve learned several interesting foodie facts about Singapore during my recent trip there, and I’ve found out that Fried Hokkien Mee is the popular hit with many Singaporeans. I had the chance to try out two stalls selling this popular hawker food and the one that stands out for me is the Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee.

Singapore Hawker Food - Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee by what2seeonline.com

Singapore’s Fried Hokkien Mee… simply unique and delicious!

The famous Singapore dish comes in a different style as compared to those sold in Penang (Hokkien Char). It is cooked with the lighter black sauce and has a starchy thick gravy. There are plenty of ingredients including large prawns, squid, pork lard and chives (ku chye).

Singapore Hawker Food - Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee by what2seeonline.com

Furthermore, the taste of the noodles were greatly enhanced by the use of a charcoal stove! The Mee was fried in a big wok with charcoal fire, giving it a delicate smoky taste!

Singapore Hawker Food - Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee by what2seeonline.com

Burning hot fire…

Singapore Hawker Food - Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee by what2seeonline.com Singapore Hawker Food - Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee by what2seeonline.com

Preparation of some of the ingredients…

Singapore Hawker Food - Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee by what2seeonline.com

Wok full of ingredients, on the way to cooking up this fantastic dish!

The noodles were smooth coated with the starchy gravy and bursting with flavors from all the ingredients. It was delicious with the sliced red chili and squeezed in lime juice. Additional dose of chili sambal is available for those wanting that extra bit of spiciness.

Singapore Hawker Food - Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee by what2seeonline.com

Fresh and juicy prawns

The owner, Mr Alex See has been selling the fried Hokkien Mee for over 40 years. He was very friendly and sat down with us at our table for a short banter.  He said that take-away wrap in the Opal leaf can be kept in fridge and taste even better reheated the next day after steaming wrap in the leaf. Maybe I can take some back to Penang?

Dr Leslie Tay, CK Lam & Mr See at Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokien Mee

Dr Leslie Tay, myself & Mr Alex See

The owner uses the Opeh leave (Pinang leaf) imported from Medan to serve up the fried mee. The beige colored dried leaf is part of the banana plant and food wrapped in it tends to taste better, with additional aroma. I have yet to come across this leaf in our Penang eateries as most of the food is only wrapped in the banana leaves and pandan leaves.

Singapore Hawker Food - Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee by what2seeonline.com

This fried noodle is a must for any foreigner visiting Singapore for the first time! For sure I am looking forward to coming here again. This place also specializes in other dishes such as the oyster omelette, perhaps I’ll cover that in my next visit to this great island!

Singapore Hawker Food - Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee by what2seeonline.com

This place is located in a corner double storey shop house on East Coast Road surrounded with many food outlets. I’ll definitely be back for more!

Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee
396 East Coast Road
Singapore 428994

Business Hour : 11:30am – 9pm

Closed on Mondays

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, January 9th, 2010 at 9:57 pm and is filed under Fried Noodle, Hawker, Holiday, Non-Halal, Singapore, Travel Destinations. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow… all the way to Spore, uh?? :)
good review!!

January 10th, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Oh I’ve eaten Singapore hokkien mee before too, but in Food Republic and the food court in Esplanade. Both were not too bad, pretty unique compared to our own version. But the ones you had here had such huge prawns! I should go try this when I have a chance!

January 10th, 2010 at 9:24 pm

1st time tried this at the Food Republic in Singapore. Forgot which mall was it.
Surprised that ppl were queuing up for Fried Prawn Mee.
But it was tasty. Got me hooked, though Pavilion’s version was… erm, lacking.

January 11th, 2010 at 12:02 am

NKOTB – Really ate a lot during that short trip, thanks to all my Singaporean friends.

iamthewitch – Each outlet has their own version. Do try out those from this outlet to compare the difference.

J2Kfm – I have not tasted those from the Food Republic so can’t really tell the difference. Do visit Geylang Lor 29 whenever you are in Singapore.

January 11th, 2010 at 12:24 am

The dish is light but filled with prawns…definitely quite unlike that found in the streets in KL or Pg

January 11th, 2010 at 8:20 am

I’ve only tried this type of fried hokkien mee at somewhere near Ang Mo Kio. Taste pretty good leh! Will get a chance to try out this stall.

January 11th, 2010 at 10:06 am

yummm it looks really yummy! must mark this down for my visit there next time. i didn’t go out venturing through out my stay there since i was there for shopping :p so most of the time spent was in shopping malls!

January 11th, 2010 at 10:14 am

backStreetGluttons – Not too sure about KL, but I have not come across this version in Penang.

allie – Worth visiting Geylang Lor 29. Besides this stall, there are plenty of other yummy food around that area.

xin – I only had one lunch at ION Orchard. Most of my meals are spread out in many places around the city.

January 11th, 2010 at 11:34 am

Never know that there is such great stall at East Coast Road. I’m sure my “boss” will very happy if I forward him this link. Remember to call me in your next weel. ;)

January 11th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

walio, which is better, this one or pavilion? lol!

January 11th, 2010 at 6:37 pm

food-4tots – I hope to meet up with you on my visit and go for makan makan together :)

Big Boys Oven – I personally like those from Geylang Lor 29.

January 11th, 2010 at 10:39 pm

looks yummy, too bad no chance to Singapore for company trip anymore.

January 11th, 2010 at 10:44 pm

If I am not wrong there is one stall in Pavilion that uses the same type of leaf for plating. The gravy is made with prawn stock.

January 12th, 2010 at 2:16 am

This Fried Hokkean Mee is Good…as a Penang Kia studying in Singapore, Sg Hokkean Mee is one type of food that Penang Kia will accept and like it…
cos they are truly tasty…
but don’t try the so-called Penang Char Koay Teow in Sg…You will regret!
Next time, perhaps u can try the Frog porridge too!!!

January 20th, 2010 at 8:23 pm
Ah Keat

Just to “kepo” and recommend a few places to eat in Singapore.
1. Paulaner Brauhaus Singapore (German platter) – Millenium Walk nearby Suntec City 2. Da Paolo (Tiramisu) – Orchard
3. Swiss Merchant Court Buffet – Clark Quay 4. Jerry BBQ restaurant (BBQ Chicken & Tiramisu) – Jalan Kayu
5. Seletar Country Club (Curry Chicken)
6. S11 food center (Penang Loh Mee) – AMK and etc etc…

January 29th, 2010 at 5:34 pm

saucer – I am sure there will be a day…

JUason Wong – Yet to come across it.

modo alimentare – Thanks for the tip!

Ah Keat – It’s great having you sharing so many makan places :)

February 4th, 2010 at 1:12 pm
Jih Hoay

Yeah, food republic at Orchard and the same owner with another stall opened at esplanade hawker place. It is brilliant!!! I love it. I used to stay in Singapore back then. Now i am missing this hokkien mee, and i don’t think there is any in Penang. Two food items i lurve and miss ever since i moved back are the singapore laksa and this hokkien mee!! Anyone know where to get them in Malaysia?

July 23rd, 2010 at 4:18 pm

We really appreciate your website post. You can find a lot of ways we could put it to great use by using little or no effort on time and resources. Thank you very much regarding helping have the post give light to many queries we have come across before now.

June 8th, 2011 at 8:34 am
Lester

The opeh leaf is not part of the banana plant. It is actually from the betel nut tree. Check this link for detailed explanation. http://www.singlishdictionary.com/singlish_O.htm

December 11th, 2011 at 4:31 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Singapore Hawker Food | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jan 05 2011 / 6pm:

[...] Geylang Lor 29 Fried Hokkien Mee [...]