Growing up in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, one place that I have frequented over the years is the Lai Foong Beef Noodle stall, located nearby Petaling Street. Many years has since passed, however when I make the trip back I will indulge in a bowl of the beef noodle!

Filled with ingredients of lean beef, tripe and beef balls, beef tendon, and beef intestine; the taste and quality has remained the same as Thomas Tan strives to maintain the beef noodle legacy of his late grandfather based on an authentic 80-year-old Hainanese recipe.

img_2555.jpg

The chef hard at work preparing the delicious beef noodles!

img_2576.jpg

Beef noodles that lasted the test of time, simply scrumptious!

Their beef and tripe are very tender, while their beef balls were crunchy and simply yummy! Once you’ve savoured this dish, you will find that the great thing about their dish is actually the soup, which is thick, flavorful and strongly furnished with Chinese herbs and spices… I couldn’t stop myself from finishing every drop in the bowl!

img_2571.jpg

Beef Beehoon Mee Soup, delicious till the last drop!

Prices have been maintained at a reasonable rate for many years now. The regular bowls starts at RM 5.00, and moving to RM6.00 for large while it will cost about RM7.00/RM8.00 for extras!

img_2568.jpg

Beef Koay Teow Soup, equally as nice with its smooth texture!

Their flavoursome broth is further enhanced in taste by the addition of chopped preserved salted vegetables and coriander. I have not find many stalls serving salted vegetables in their beef soup, especially in Penang! I will slowly savour the noodles, eating bit by bit with the broth until everything in my bowl is finished.

img_2560.jpg

The bowl of dry koay teow comes with a separate bowl of soup full with ingredients…

img_2564.jpg

The beef noodle stall is located in Lai Foong Restaurant which is primely located at the intersection of the busy Jalan Tan Cheng Lock and Jalan Tun HS Lee. Best time to go there would be at about 11am, right before the lunch crowd from the offices swarm the restaurant!

img_2549.jpg

* Do check out the baked kaya roll (kai tan koe) stall located infront of this coffeeshop. The stall sells many other traditional Chinese pastries besides the delicious kaya roll.

Lai Foong Restaurant
138 Jalan Tun HS Lee
Kuala Lumpur

Tel: 03 20728123

Opening Times: From early morning till lunch time

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 14th, 2010 at 1:44 am and is filed under Beef Noodle, Hawker, KL / PJ. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Take a trip up to Kelab Rahman Putra Malaysia & try the beef soup. My favorite beef soup as far as Klang Valley is concerned (opens only on Fri, Sat & Sunday). I missed auntie’s Prawn Mee at Lai Foong.

March 14th, 2010 at 11:47 am

wow~ very classic bowl of beef noodle~
wish i can have a bowl now for breakfast~

March 15th, 2010 at 9:55 am

Welcome back to Penang CK! I hope you had an enjoyable holiday. :) I think I have been to this place before. It’s somewhere off Pasar Seni/Central Market right? I missed that place!

Coincidentally, I also wrote about beef steamboat/noodles too recently with your choice of salted vegetable plus radish soup in Penang. Maybe you would want to pop in to try them out. :)

March 15th, 2010 at 10:05 am

hApPy HaPpY – Thanks for sharing the outlet!

taufulou – Do go before the lunch crowd.

Criz Lai – Thanks for sharing the new outlet. I have to miss out on the outing due to my Australia trip. Great to see the reviews from many of you.

March 15th, 2010 at 10:31 am

I love dry version noodles! This looks really good!

March 15th, 2010 at 10:49 am

I prefer the dry version myself, usually.
But at Lai Foong, I like their soup a lot, esp with those salted vege. And the egg tarts can be great desserts after the meal.

March 15th, 2010 at 12:04 pm

it’s been a while since i last had a bowl of hearty beef noodles. now i feel like eating it immediately!

March 15th, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Yay for a KL post!

Not so yay cos I dun like beef tripe and organs. :P

March 15th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Shame to said that I never try this beef noole as I stay at KL for more than 30yrs :P

March 15th, 2010 at 4:52 pm
Jane

Ahhhh, never knew you were a KL-ite! Always assumed you were from Penang true and true ;) We want more KL postings, CK!

March 16th, 2010 at 5:22 pm

how does it fair against the penang one? :p

March 17th, 2010 at 11:04 am

this beef noodle id not bad one of the good one’s in KL! :)

March 21st, 2010 at 8:51 am

Great Lai Foong is still there :) Their beef noodles my favourite too! Don’t be surprise but I can wallop 2 bowls of it and Iv done that in the past!! It is that good, normally have a soupy and a dry one. I am missing it soo much, been living in England for 5 years now, and not had it since then. Thanks for the great post.

March 28th, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Hello, thanks for sharing! I live in Sydney now but I always visit this place for the beef noodles whenever I’m back in KL for holidays!

December 22nd, 2010 at 11:16 pm

It is a memory lane for me because my deceased dad used to bring me (primary school) there for lunch on week days before going home. I still goes there when I visit KL every few years from Syd.It taste better 30 yrs ago, more authentic and the soup is more fragrant and the chillies sauce are not too diluted compare to now.But, still a excellent bowl of hainanese beef noodle soup.

January 10th, 2012 at 7:37 pm

One Trackback/Ping

1. Yut Kee Restaurant - Hainanese Cuisine Kopitiam Style | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Oct 26 2010 / 11am:

[...] the light and spongy cake was one of the most delicious we have ever tried beside the ones sold in Lai Foong restaurant in Jalan Tun HS [...]