Over the weekend together with my blogger friends and photographers, we went around Air Itam to sample-fest some hawker food. We made our way to Kedai Kopi Wah Meng. The coffee shop located across the Sisters Curry Mee is a stone throw away from the Air Itam morning wet market, which itself is full of interesting local flavor.

Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com

How about a delicious bowl of Koay Chiap for starters?

This coffee shop offers a variety of hawker food. We chose to start with the Loh Duck Koay Chap (flat broad rice sheets) with some meaty toppings. A bowl at RM 4.00 comes with plenty of ingredients, braised duck meat, bean curd, congealed blood, hard-boiled egg and innards of intestines and liver. Many customers liked the soup for its clearer and lighter flavor, indeed different compared to the Kimberley Street Duck Koay Chiap.

Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com

The bowl of Koay Chap was accompanied with cut chilies in soy sauce instead of the common garlic chili sauce.

Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com

This bowl of Koay Chiap loaded with add-on!

Served with cuttlefish, cockles, congealed blood, prawns, bean sprouts and tau pok (fried beancurd), this bowl of curry mee has a very light broth.

Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com

We bought a Roti Planta from this cheerful hawker. Looking similar to the Roti Canai, this version is made with margarine and served with curry. We chose to eat it on its own.  Its chewy texture and sweet taste makes it enjoyable for the few of us who have a sweet tooth. In fact we even had a second helping of this roti!

Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com

The porridge was savory sweet with the flavor of the minced meat and oyster. This type of porridge comes with pieces of Yu Char Koay, and sprinkled with shallot crisps and chopped spring onions.

Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com

Last but not least, we savored Char Koay Teow! What I love about Char Koay Teow is that it is found in most places in Penang. This Char Koay Teow has crunchy bean sprouts and reasonably sized prawns.

Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com

Apong Manis anyone? I had a couple of these pancakes  -  hot off the miniature kuali, crispy at the edges and with a soft texture in the middle. Smells good and tasty too!

Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com

Nice snack with coffee

It was an enjoyable breakfast outing sharing ideas on photography and food with Ken, Lingzie, LC and the many photographers.

This coffee shop is located just after the bridge (on the right hand side) on the way to Paya Terubong. Parking can be a bit difficult as the surrounding place is a bit crowded especially on the weekends.

Penang Hawker Food at Wah Meng Cafe, Air Itam Penang by what2seeonline.com

Click here for the Map Location.

Kedai Kopi Wah Meng
612 Jalan Air Itam
11500 Air Itam
Penang

Business Hour : 7am – Noon

GPS Coordinates : N5 24.010   E100 16.682

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 9th, 2010 at 4:15 pm and is filed under Air Itam, Char Koay Teow, Curry Mee, Hawker, Koay Chiap, Mamak/Indian, Noodles, Penang, Porridge. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Yup, he sure was having a fine time flipping his Roti! :)

It sure looks easy…

May 9th, 2010 at 8:08 pm

you should try the koay ka as well :)

Will sure to give it a try…thanks!

May 9th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Truly authentic local foods :)

Only have that much space for the food. Will drop by another time for more.

May 9th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

just pure of luxury!

Nice hawker food plus great company :)

May 10th, 2010 at 8:10 am

I love the koay chiap so much !!!

Nice change having the koay chiap with cut green chilies.

May 10th, 2010 at 10:09 am

looks good… didn’t know air itam have this kopi tiam :)

We can visit this place together for breakfast on your next trip to Penang.

May 10th, 2010 at 11:28 am

Oh, that Roti Planta looks good. Haven’t had any in ages!

A favorite item for us on that morning.

May 10th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

great looking apong manis.

This is a popular snack and usually sold out early in the morning.

May 10th, 2010 at 3:32 pm

wah lau…guan lai this is the thing you guys do at pg…

i just miss koey chap and curry mee..slurppp~

Everyone misses you on this makan outing. Hope to get together on the next round :)

May 10th, 2010 at 5:14 pm

So nice, I missed Penang foods. Especially pig blood.

Take a trip up Penang for there are so much more food to to try out.

May 10th, 2010 at 7:49 pm
Peter Chan PJM

My favourite Kuey Chap stall too!

Do share more of your other favorite food with me too.

May 10th, 2010 at 9:55 pm

wow …. I love all the foods jn Wah Meng. Penang foods is the best. I miss them lah.

Wow…looks like you are very familiar with Air Itam too… great!

May 12th, 2010 at 6:49 am

Nice seeing you returning to the area after the first time visit to the area back in December 2009.

There are indeed plenty of food to share with everyone from this area too.

May 12th, 2010 at 12:38 pm

It should be December 2008 not 2009.

May 12th, 2010 at 12:46 pm

So much of delicious food. I miss Penang now!

Penang has always been a food attraction place for many. Do make a visit to savor the food.

May 12th, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I loves this place as there are so many nice foods from one shop. I always leave this place with the crispy apom. ^-^

The crispy apom is a must have for me too :)

May 14th, 2010 at 8:28 am
Air Itam Gal

Actually the nasi kandar in front of this kopitiam is one of the best i hv ever tried, is a must eat item in my list whenever i m back to PG….shud try it during your next visit, but hv to go early, normally “habis” selling at 10am+…

Looks like I miss out on the nasi kandar :(
Definitely will have it on my next visit.

May 15th, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Finally, someone wrote about Air Itam.. In fact I grow up here and I can tell you that, most of the food here is in a very high ranking compare to other stall in Penang. The squat aunty curry mee in the morning is one of the “legend” in Air Itam, the nasi kandar as air itam gal mentioned and of course the koay chap (I personally feel that is the best in Penang if compare to Kimberly Street). Then, Air Itam is not only happening during day time. If you visit Air Itam at night, you shouldn’t miss the Koay Kak stall in front of Swee Wah Supermarket. And also the duck rice which is only open at midnight… Air Itam is really a nice place to visit for good food…

Looks like I will be making a late midnight trip to Air Itam for the duck rice in the near future. Thanks for sharing the wonderful places.

May 18th, 2010 at 10:34 am

the sisters curry mee is the one you need to squat down one rite?

hm…loads of yummy stuff, i shall go there again, for all breakfast, lunch and dinner! :D

That is the curry mee stall that I mentioned and it can be seen under curry mee category too.

May 20th, 2010 at 9:57 am
Sandra

you should recomment the koay kat also, the stall just infront coffee shop along the road site only. so far this the best koay kat i try in penang. The egg , bean sprout .. .. n the kuih fried together.. so yummy the taste..

Thanks…many readers recommended the koay kak to me too. I am looking forward to trying it :)

May 21st, 2010 at 12:34 pm
YC

Do you know, not only the food are delicious but the drinks as well. so, must have a cup of Kopi Ó at wah meng coffee shop and sit under the open air environment…really enjoy it. :)

May 24th, 2010 at 3:27 pm
Calvin Lim

Haha… Especially the Kopi Peng… I love it…:-)

May 24th, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Yup good food found in Air Itam. My weekend dosage of breakfast comes from here. So used to it so I hardly take photos…

June 5th, 2010 at 2:56 pm
Sam

This coffee shop has already been established for 50 years. The char koay teow and the Nasi Kandar has passed to third generation already. I did not see anyone mention about the coffee. The ice coffee the best if compare with other local coffee. FYI, the nasi Kandar started very earlier before the coffee shop open. You can have it started at 4.00am. You will see a long Q waiting for ordering. I suggest you to try the ice coffee together with Nasi Kandar. Wow..the combination of the two is fantastic and unbelieveable. Must try…

June 16th, 2010 at 5:44 pm
kikapoo

is this open everyday including Sat & Sun…sorry, this may be a stupid question..but these few days i have wasted a lot of time going to places recommended by friends and they are either closed on Friday or closed on Sunday.. ;-(

June 28th, 2010 at 2:56 pm
BB

Yes!! Agree with Sam ! Wah Beng kopi is the BEST BEST so far i tasted. Early morning have a cup of Hot Kopi O …Wah !! Best and Enjoy !! Foods there all Yummy Yummy, i FEEL GOOD !! Always my 1st choice for Sunday breakfast !! Strongly Recommended (*,*) mUST TRY !!

July 11th, 2010 at 8:48 am
Froggy

yea…my favorite kopi peng and koay chiap! love it so much…yummy..

August 5th, 2010 at 5:25 pm
Meego

I grow up in Air Itam… a lot of people asked me why i do not know much about other places to eat. I actually told them most of the good food we can find in Air Itam… that’s the reason.

The Nasi Kandar owner used to call me baby…till now the 3rd generation seems odd to call me baby, as I am kind of older then him :))

December 11th, 2010 at 11:47 pm
KKWong

This coffee shop ” kopi peng” & “milo ais” is the best drink!

June 11th, 2011 at 7:35 pm
vion

Best Ice coffee in town. Perhaps u should have introduce on the coffee. Would like to recommend a new stall in the coffee shop which are selling the hor fun with chicken and mushroom soup. Herb-ally and pleasant aroma. *thumbs up* to Wah Meng coffee and the yummy yet delicious food :)

August 23rd, 2011 at 10:50 pm

1. Char Koay Kak and Tong-Sui in Air Itam, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Oct 14 2010 / 11pm:

[...] to my readers for recommending this Char Koay Kak to me at my Kedai Kopi Wah Meng [...]

2. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 29 2012 / 5pm:

[...] Hokkien Prawn Noodle [Burma Road Green House] KL Style Hokkien Char Fat Noodle Jalan Dato Keramat Koay Chap [Air Itam Wah Meng Kopitiam] Koay Chap [Kimberley Street] Koay Teow Soup [Pitt Street Eel Fish Ball at Carnarvon Street] Koay [...]