*** Updated on 1/5/2011 – The coffee shop has since been taken over by a new owner.

One of my favorite breakfast joints in Penang is Eng Loh Coffee Shop in the heart of Georgetown. It is located at the end of Church Street, diagonally across the Pinang Peranakan Mansion and is exceptionally crowded during lunch hour.

Besides serving good coffee, the coffee shop operator also serves choices of Western breakfast of sausages and egg together with toast bread. There are ten over choices of bread and my favorite is the Roti Taiwan.

Breakfast at Eng Loh Coffee Shop at Church Street Penang by what2seeonline.com

Delicious Roti Taiwan

The Roti Taiwan version has a creamy and fragrant topping. The thick toasted Benggali roti comes with layer of majerin and smooth peanut butter spread, topped with a plenty of crushed peanuts. Till date, I have not come across any coffee shop that serves Roti Taiwan as good as theirs. This irresistible crusty roti goes well with a cup of kopi-o kau!

Roti Taiwan at Eng Loh Coffee Shop, Church Street Penang by what2seeonline.com

Another popular choice is the French toast. Nothing beats this simple breakfast which is best eaten sprinkled with sugar.

Breakfast at Eng Loh Coffee Shop at Church Street Penang by what2seeonline.com

There are other mouthwatering delights of sweet and savory kuihs. The steamed sticky kuih kosui / kuih koswee with a soft and lumpy texture comes in a larger size as compared to those in small teacups size. I usually have both the pandan and the palm sugar version with fresh grated coconut.

Breakfast at Eng Loh Coffee Shop at Church Street Penang by what2seeonline.com

The savory Chai Kuih (vegetable dumpling) with stuffing of shredded yambean is a delight with the accompanied chili sauce. The soft dough skin has a nice chewy texture.

Penang Hawker Food - Chai Kuih at Eng Loh Coffee Shop, Church Street Penang by what2seeonline.com

Do drop by this coffee shop whenever you have an appetite for these snacks or a filling meal.  Other specialties from this coffee shop are the Char Koay Teow and the Wanton Mee. Click here for the Map Location.

Eng Loh Coffee Shop
48 Church Street (Lebuh Gereja)
10200 Penang

Opening Hours : 8am – 3pm
Closed : Sunday

GPS Coordinate : N05 25.106   E100 20.457

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, June 28th, 2010 at 4:09 pm and is filed under Chai Koay, George Town, Hawker, Non-Halal, Nyonya Kuih, Penang, Roti Bakar. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow this my type of breakfast! definitely will give the sweet orgasm for a day!

June 28th, 2010 at 5:45 pm

That Roti Taiwan so special wor…never see in KL! Interesting ^^

June 28th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Must go to this place when back to pg

June 29th, 2010 at 9:30 am
Mike Siew

Roti Taiwan is the only serve there in Penang. Can’t find elsewhere in Malaysia.

June 29th, 2010 at 11:55 am

Oh that roti Taiwan looks good. The French toast too. My carb cravings are a-roarin’ now! ;)

July 5th, 2010 at 10:29 am
Fern fern

hmmm….. not open on sunday…… :(

Do try visiting the place on Saturday.

July 5th, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I want to go many times but they are close on Sundays! :(

Another alternative is to have them takeaway :)

July 6th, 2010 at 9:25 pm

aiks…this is sure very unique..looking forward to try it out~

July 12th, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Roti Taiwan…really delicious..miss it so much since you bring me thr…

Glad you like the roti. It’s been a while since your last visit. Do keep me update when you do drop by again.

July 29th, 2010 at 1:13 pm
sinupi

too bad that wan tan mee stall with different owners already… haiz`

Oh… do you happen to know where did the lady shift to? She told me she was from KL.

August 23rd, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Roti Taiwan is my favourite!

January 5th, 2011 at 9:42 am
Linda teo

Hi. I will be going up Penang next Sunday arriving early morning before embarking on Starcruise in the evening. Can anyone recommend me nice place for breakfast and lunch?

You could try out the food at this Eng Loh coffeeshop or visit the food stalls around Chowrasta market.

March 4th, 2011 at 1:28 pm
Linda teo

Hi lam,
Thanks for the reply. I thought Eng loh is closed on Sunday? Will really like to try the roti Taiwan after seeing your picture. Maybe when we are back from the cruise. Where is chowrasta market by the way? Any good food there to recommend?

March 9th, 2011 at 1:14 pm
Alvin

Awesome! We tried every single type of food offered. Every single one was good.
And cheap too!

March 12th, 2011 at 11:59 am
DJK

My wife and I went today at lunchtime. The place was pretty empty and the food was disappointing (not bad, just below average by Penang standards). Perhaps it has changed since the new owners?

October 29th, 2011 at 7:39 pm

1. Roti Taiwan & Various Toasts @ Eng Loh Cafeteria & Hotel - Penang Street Food Series (2/5) | Motormouth From Ipoh - A Malaysian Food Blog    Oct 03 2010 / 6pm:

[...] to this post from CK Lam, I found myself a ‘new’ favourite spot for breakfast in Georgetown in [...]

2. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 29 2012 / 5pm:

[...] Cook Food Annathai Kitchen Pulau Tikus Toast Breads and Eggs – Tanjung Tokong Ah Wang Cafe Toast Breads and Eggs – Eng Loh Roti Taiwan Toast Breads and Eggs – Charcoal Toasted Toh Soon Cafe Jalan Campbell Toast Breads and Eggs [...]