BY CK Lam

Annathai-Kitchen, tucked away in bustling Pulau Tikus Market, has started drawing in the crowd with its economy rice (mixed rice) or ‘chap fun’ the Cantonese calls it. It offers an array of affordable tasty Thai dishes, that is unlike any other in George Town.

The simple eatery is run by Jacky Choong and its kitchen is helmed by his mother, Anna. It is open for breakfast and lunch. Customers are spoiled for choices of dishes displayed in the economy rice stall with its selection of chicken, fish, sauteed vegetables, noodles and dessert.

Khai-Kra-Ta ไข่กระทะ - Thai Pan Breakfast

The service is fast. Just top up your plate of rice with the dishes of your choice. My friends and I indulged in a blend of spicy, sweet and sour tasting dishes. We choose the attractive Hor-Mok ห่อหมก - Steamed Fish with Curry Paste known locally as otak-otak. The fish with curry paste is steamed in individual metal bowls topped with thick coconut milk, chili pieces and aromatic kaffir lime leaves. With soft custard texture, Hor-Mok is delightful with rice.

Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com

The Khua-Kling คั่วกลิ้ง - Roasted Minced Pork with Thai Chili looked simple but it tantalized our taste buds! With its chili, this spicy meat dish packed a punch.

Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com

There are several curries and soy sauce dishes which included the Moo-Pa-Loh หมูพะโล้ – Stewed Pork with Bittern Gravy and Phat-Phet-Moo ผัดเผ็ดไก่ – Spicy Curry Pork with Long Bean.

Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com

The following Phat-Man-Farang ผัดมันฝรั่ง – Fry Potato with Pork and the Kaeng-Gai-NoMai แกงไก่หน่อไม้ – Chicken Curry with Bamboo Shoots was great with rice too.

Phat-Man-Farang ผัดมันฝรั่ง – Fry Potato with Pork

Kaeng-Gai-NoMai แกงไก่หน่อไม้  – Chicken Curry with Bamboo Shoots

Diners can also opt for Gaeng-Pa-Naeng แกงพะแนง – Red curry with Pork, Kaeng-Tai-Pla แกงไตปลาปักใต้ – Southern Thai Curry with Fish and Phat-Wun-Sen ผัดวุ้นเส้น – Fry Vermicelli with Vegetables.

Lunch is available throughout the afternoon as sold off dishes are cooked again and replenished depending on the crowd.

Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com

Another selection was crispy deep fried Pla-Thot-Khamin ปลาทอดขมิ้น – Fish Fried with Turmeric. It was a great nibble but do look out for the bones. For children, it is advisable to opt  for the fish fillet instead.

Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com

The fragrant Kha-Nom-Chin, Nam-Yaa ขนมจีนน้ำยา – Thai Rice Noodle with Fish Curry Paste at RM3 per bowl is worth a try. The noodles was served cold with creamy, mild curry gravy cooked with many herbs and fresh coconut milk. Simple refreshing raw diced long beans and cucumber added crunch to the dish which was garnished with mint leaves and half a lime.

Kha-Nom-Chin, Nam-Yaa ขนมจีนน้ำยา – Thai Rice Noodle with Fish Curry Paste

Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com

Equally tasty were the Thai sweets. Anna whips up a mean and delicious Khao-Tom-Mart ข้าวต้มมัด – Glutinous Rice with Banana. I love this banana dessert made with quality imported Thai glutinous rice, fragrant pisang Raja and fresh coconut milk. Anna makes a large batch of this dessert daily and supplies them to many food outlets and kuih stalls in Penang.

Glutinous Rice with Banana, also known as golden pillow @ RM1 per piece

Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com

The Cendol was served with light coconut milk. Indeed great desserts topped off the meal.

Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com

Anna cooks decent breakfast dishes as well! The kitchen added the tasty dish of Khai-Kra-Ta ไข่กระทะ – Thai Pan Breakfast to its menu recently. This breakfast special is incredibly flavorful with Thai sausages, meat, two eggs, minced pork and stir-fried potatoes and comes with a bun.

Khai-Kra-Ta ไข่กระทะ  – Thai Pan Breakfast @ RM5.90

The food at Annathai-Kitchen was satisfying and is one of the cheapest options for Thai food. It has a great location across the entrance to a huge open car park near the market. Click here for the Map Location.

Annathai-Kitchen - Thai Style Economy Rice 'Chap Fun' by what2seeonline.com

The rice stall right in front of the shop

Annathai-Kitchen
26 Jalan Moulmein
Pulau Tikus
10350 Georgetown
Penang

Tel : 2277599

Business Hour : 7am till 3pm

Closed on Monday

* This is a reproduction of my article published in the New Straits Times

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, August 2nd, 2010 at 8:57 pm and is filed under Dessert, Media Preview, New Straits Times (Life & Times), Noodles, Penang, Pulau Tikus, Thai Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

This is so awesome!! I saw this on my last trip back, accompanying mom to the market and I was wondering what was the deal here. I am in love!! :-)

Hi Min, this place has the morning crowd of the people visiting the market. Luckily there is a huge car park right in front of it.

August 2nd, 2010 at 9:40 pm
hitomi

Thanks for the sharing. Perhaps I can give a try this week. Hor-Mok looks so tempting.

Remember, it is closed on Monday.

August 2nd, 2010 at 10:10 pm

wow this place looks so perfectly good! definitely a place to drop by for an experience!

Do visit this place….thai food with a taste of its own.

August 3rd, 2010 at 6:38 am

Oh they have Khanom Jeen! That’s a southern Thai delight, eaten for breakfast mostly.

Well, do give it a try on yr next trip.

August 3rd, 2010 at 8:24 am

Hey, this is new to me… Thanks! Looks like I gotta explore more of Pulau Tikus. :)

Haha…do try the food, the taste is indeed different from others.

August 3rd, 2010 at 8:32 am

A new discovery! I love Thai food.

Look like you miss out this place on yr last visit. Anyway, do bookmarked it for your next trip home.

August 3rd, 2010 at 9:59 am

Oh, a hidden place to hunt for Thai food. I guess I will love the food there.

Hope you will share your feedback with me after your visit.

August 3rd, 2010 at 1:18 pm

eh, first time hear got thai economy style…

First time for me too :) You can eat in and have some to tapau back home too.

August 3rd, 2010 at 1:25 pm

hey ck, love the thai taste a lot and this restaurant seems to serve delicious thai food…can export to KL? hehehe

Haha….can tapau some snack for you.

August 3rd, 2010 at 3:59 pm

didnt notice the existence of this! haha gonan check it out one day~~~ thanksss for sharing! craving for thai foooood

Most welcome….do share your feedback too!

August 3rd, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Vialentino … come follow me go Penang….. I guaranty you a food review here. Lol ….

* Wink * to CK ….. hahaha …. Jackie already temp me with his mom’s latest addition of cooking other than the current one. I still haven’t got the chance to try all this and more new stuffs coming. He really satay me kow kow …. maximum temptation to his mom’s cooking.

There are many more dishes that I have yet to try. I usually tapau some dishes to keep for dinner.

August 3rd, 2010 at 11:06 pm

This looks really authentic. Thanks for sharing! :)

Do visit this place and hope it is not too spicy for you.

August 3rd, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Everything looks so interesting and delish! I think I’m in love with that Glutinuous Rice with Banana dessert! Haven’t come across such goodie here in KL!

Yup….even in Penang, there are not many stalls selling this dessert. I just loved the pisang raja, very pungent.

August 4th, 2010 at 3:02 pm
Sammy

There is another economic Thai hawker stall right at the end of Prima Tanjung Kopitiam. It’s pretty good for certain dishes. Price ranges from RM4 to RM5 per plate.

Thanks for sharing…will check it out too!

August 5th, 2010 at 10:56 am
Sammy

The Thai food stall at the Upper Penang Rd Flea Market (Opposite E&O Hotel) is yummy! The stall is at the middle part. Pls note that this flea market is a once-a-month event, only held on the last Sunday of the month.

Will try to be there end of the month.

August 5th, 2010 at 11:01 am
Tan

Thanks CK for sharing a really nice place for Thai foods! Especially the laksa its that good!

I too love the laksa….and do try the dessert next time.

August 6th, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Ya, I saw this one too when I was at Pulau Tikus market. Now from this post, I know what are the types of dishes it serves.

August 9th, 2010 at 6:39 pm
ELS

The food is nice but the price is not economy . It is very expensive .

September 21st, 2010 at 2:17 pm
Tom Yam Lover

Si pek ho chiak! They open at night too, serving ala carte. I thought it was cheap. RM64 for 5 people, and we had prawn tom yam, pork, chicken, and vegetable, including our drinks. Tell me that’s not cheap? Go anywhere eat economy rice, one small piece of chicken and one small portion of vege RM4.50 already lo!

October 6th, 2010 at 4:49 pm
kelly

it’s really delicious but really expensive for the price of a normal economic rice too.i took 1 vege,1 potato and 1 fried chicken,it cost me rm8.haha is the most expensive economic rice that i ever tasted :P but the otak otak really yummy..

November 22nd, 2010 at 1:07 am
thaifood lover

i just had my lunch thr today.i like the Khua-Kling and kem sum so much!!

January 1st, 2011 at 4:53 pm
OM LEONG

The curry is nice and SPICY… Spicy food lovers can go for a try.

April 10th, 2011 at 7:06 pm

hi there, thanks for sharing this good thai kitchen. will find someday drop by ^^

May 5th, 2011 at 4:39 pm
fizbiscuit

Visited Annathai on 26th Jan and was told that they no longer do the economy chap fun.. very unfortunate and sad.. not sure if just for the CNY period or permanently..

January 26th, 2012 at 4:12 pm
Carnelle

Has always wanted to try on this restaurant after reading several review on it. and today is the day i dated my friend who is working nearby to have lunch there.

Experienced a very impolite treatment by the old uncle (not sure is worker or staff) even before i order my meal. so i decided not to have my lunch there, and sorry to say that i will never come again! I deeply truly cannot accept this kind of service they offered to their customer!

September 5th, 2013 at 5:38 pm