Breakfast on a Sunday morning was Wantan Mee at Chee Meng Cafe located in Jalan Dato Koyah. This stall, which was previously located in Tai Wah Cafe in Jalan Argyll, has it’s regular customers coming back for more of  the noodles in this new location.

Wantan Mee @Chee Meng Cafe in Jalan Datuk Koyah by what2seeonline.com

My plate of wantan mee at RM2.50 was dressed in dark soy sauce, garnished with pieces of lean red barbecued pork (Char Siew), shredded chicken, two reasonable sized wantan and vegetable. Besides the condiment of pickled green chili with soy sauce, the noodle also comes with homemade sambal. As for me, I am thoroughly happy with the sourish sweet pickled green chili.

Wantan Mee @Chee Meng Cafe in Jalan Datuk Koyah by what2seeonline.com

Also recommended are the dumplings (sui kow) at RM0.60 each. The slippery smooth wrappers filled with fresh minced meat were served in an anchovy and meat based soup. The soup was clear and brimming with taste.

Wantan Mee @Chee Meng Cafe in Jalan Datuk Koyah by what2seeonline.com

The main attraction of this stall is the noodle which is available in both flat (chor mee) and fine version (eu mee). It is either served dry or in soup with reasonable prices ranging from RM2.50 to RM3.30 (extra large). I love the noodle with the springy feel, al dente to bite and served without the excess strong flavor of sesame oil. The lean red Char Siew may not be the best texture compared to those juicy with caramelized edges but the chicken pieces and wantan were tasty nonetheless.

Wantan Mee @Chee Meng Cafe in Jalan Datuk Koyah by what2seeonline.com

Dry fine noodle (eu mee)

Wantan Mee @Chee Meng Cafe in Jalan Datuk Koyah by what2seeonline.com

Dry flat noodle (chor mee)

It is best to go early to try out this wantan mee. Waiting for a table and having to sharing tables are the norm here especially during peak hours.

Wantan Mee @Chee Meng Cafe in Jalan Datuk Koyah by what2seeonline.com

Bowl of fine wantan mee served in clear broth

Wantan Mee @Chee Meng Cafe in Jalan Datuk Koyah by what2seeonline.com

Plate of blanched vegetable

Click here for the Map Location. This wantan mee stall is located in Jalan Dato Koyah, a short road that joins Clarke Street and Penang Road.

Wantan Mee @Chee Meng Cafe in Jalan Datuk Koyah by what2seeonline.com

Wantan Mee
Chee Meng Cafe
20 Jalan Dato Koyah
Penang

Business Hour : 7am till 1pm

Closed on Tuesday

GPS Coordinates : N05° 25.193′   E100° 19.899′

***Updates  1/7/2011 – The owner has since shifted back to Tai Wah Cafe in Jalan Argyll.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 at 2:29 pm and is filed under Dumpling, George Town, Penang, Wanton Mee. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Danny

Our favourite wan tan mee stall too. The al dente noodles make all the difference.

It has great texture…all customers are willing to wait for it :)

August 17th, 2010 at 4:20 pm

how I wish to have 1 plate right now… unfortunately I can’t… :(

The place is open on Sunday too…

August 18th, 2010 at 8:11 am

My family’s all time favourite wantan mee stall =)

My favorite is the flat noodle (chor mee), which is sold out pretty early in the morning.

August 18th, 2010 at 11:26 am

Since you are wan tan mee fans, next time come KL must allocate some time and we go wantan mee escapade. Order 1 plate share with whole table and moving on next !

See who’s Char Siew rulez and who’s noodle rulez

Sounds great going all out for wantan mee in KL…. will do just that on my next trip :) Thanks!

August 18th, 2010 at 5:04 pm

visit at the right time…was hunting for wan tan mee for my dinner today…drooling when see ur wanton pics ….delicious!

Do share your favorite stall with me too.

August 18th, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Sometimes there’s nothing quite like a simple dish of kopitiam food like a nice plate of good ol’ fashioned wantan mee. :)

You are right…haha. Simplicity at its best!

August 18th, 2010 at 8:24 pm
timidmuncher

hi, just wondering when they moved because I was there in June and ate at the old place. did I eat the right one?

August 24th, 2010 at 10:44 am
nyonyapenang

the last I was in Penang in Oct 2010, but the shop is taken over by someone else alreasy. any idea where the wan tan mee towkay has shifted to?

December 15th, 2010 at 8:39 pm
Rebecca-eats

I miss the Wan Tan mee at Eng Loh. The lady that used to be there no longer operates in that coffee shop. My experience at Eng Loh 2weeks back was such a huge disappointment. Even the coffee shop pawner has leased out it’s operations to someone else..the pnut butter toast was not what I recalled it to be :(

I heard about that too. Will update once I get hold of the info…

December 16th, 2010 at 10:11 pm
nyonyapenang

oooh…the shop is now named Eng Loh? I miss the wanton mee by the original Chee Meng towkay. Dunno what happened?

Eng Loh is another shop located in Church Street which is also famous for its wanton mee.

December 18th, 2010 at 6:58 pm
Marcus

May somebody know the Wan Tan Mee seller at Chee Meng cafe previously which has been moved to other new location? Miss my old favourite Wan Tan Mee stall.

December 27th, 2010 at 11:09 pm
Michelle Tan

Starting this month, after 6 jan 2011(if not mistaken), they move back to Tai Wah Cafe in Jalan Argyll again! I love they cook mia wantan mee!!.. the soup NICE!!!

Thanks for sharing the info. I will try to look out for it in its old place :)

January 3rd, 2011 at 4:11 pm
Marcus

Thanks for the help, CK.

March 16th, 2011 at 12:40 am

One Trackback/Ping

1. Chee Meng Wanton Mee – Delicate & Mini! | Cariso Delicacies Corner    Sep 06 2010 / 10am:

[...] I couldn’t help myself from hunting for this wanton mee immediately after reading posts detailed by GourmetGarden here (Chinese) and here (English). Also earlier written by CK here. [...]