Dining with a twist would be more appropriate! Imagine holding a piping hot bowl of Hokkien Mee with your bare hands, while eating the steaming hot noodles! It is indeed an interesting experience, all taking place with the bustling traffic of the busy intersection of Jalan Air Itam and Jalan Kampung Melayu just mere steps away!

Penang Hokkien Mee for those with heat-proof hands by what2seeonline.com

Air Itam’s famous Hokkien Mee

Eating Hokkien Mee at this stall is really an experience of its own! Customers who turn up for a bowl of noodle at this stall has to make do with either standing or squatting, as there are no tables or chairs!

Amazingly even without it, Mr Neoh and his wife has successful run this Hokkien Mee stall for the past thirty years!

Penang Hokkien Mee at the busy intersection of Jalan Air Itam and Jalan Kampung Melayu by what2seeonline.com

This unique Hokkien mee comes in a slightly spiced broth with basic ingredients of lean meat and tiny prawns, garnished with plenty of fried shallots. The ingredients are simple and basic, unlike other stalls that offer plenty of add-ons! This really maintains the authenticity of the original Hokkien Mee.

Penang Hokkien Mee for those with heat-proof hands by what2seeonline.com

A basic bowl of Hokkien Mee with strips of lean meat and slices of prawns cost RM2.50. Any additional add-on of these ingredients will be charged separately.

Penang Hokkien Mee for those with heat-proof hands by what2seeonline.com

The noodle is served in a piping hot soup with a spoonful chili paste and topped with fried shallots. The soup was light yet flavorful, much better than many of the Hokkien mee that I had tasted around the island!

Penang Hokkien Mee for those with heat-proof hands by what2seeonline.com

The hilarious part about my dining experience there was that the bowl was so hot that I have to stop and put the bowl down several times on the stall throughout the meal! I definitely don’t have heat-proof hands as compared to their other customers. The owners were smiling at my little antics, and advised me to bring along a hand towel on my next visit!

The scalding hot pot of soup was heated up and kept warm using charcoal fire throughout their entire duration of business hour. It was really a pleasure sipping up the flavorful soup while chewing on their smooth noodles!

Penang Hokkien Mee for those with heat-proof hands by what2seeonline.com Penang Hokkien Mee for those with heat-proof hands by what2seeonline.com

Perhaps many would think twice of patronizing this stall but many of its die-hard customers are willing to brave the heat just for the bowl of Hokkien mee! The business is very good with customers dropping by on and off, with a number of them eating there besides the takeaways.

Penang Hokkien Mee for those with heat-proof hands by what2seeonline.com

This regular customer indulging in the delicious Hokkien Mee!

Click here for the Map Location. The stall is located directly opposite Min Jiang coffee shop.

Hokkien Mee
Junction of Jalan Air Itam/Jalan Kampung Melayu
Pulau Pinang

Business Hour : 3pm till around 7pm

Closed on Tuesday

GPS Coordinate : N05 24.271   E100 17.290

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 at 9:49 pm and is filed under Air Itam, Hawker, Hokkien Mee, Non-Halal, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

This is the place where I frequent buy 4D for my dad. lol … then stop by for a bowl of hokkien mee before go off.

September 23rd, 2010 at 12:15 am

This Hokkien mee is just so so and better ta pao then eat there got they use few bowl of water to clean for whole day.

September 23rd, 2010 at 10:30 am
Amanda

this couple used to sell hokkien mee in my school canteen.. i still rmbr getting a bowl of hokkien mee with mee and soup only for RM0.30 last time….miss the taste of it….

September 23rd, 2010 at 12:53 pm
Benny Koay

Above average. Worth to try if you are there.

September 23rd, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I rather tapao it than holding the pipping hot bowl of noodle because I dn’t have heat proof hands too :P

September 23rd, 2010 at 3:46 pm

so luscious! something so worth to have.

September 23rd, 2010 at 4:51 pm
Eric Ng

It is so nice to see that they are still using the old “China Bowls” with the red rooster which brings back so much nostalgia of my youth when frequenting the various hawkers in Penang. I hate the plastic, melanine bowls that the present vendors utilises.

Sometime ago, I came across a Chinese supermarket which sold those old red rooster bowls. Bought two for old time sake. Put it in the dishwasher after use, bowls came up white minus all the hand painted drawings. Bummer!!

September 24th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

LOL at Eric’s comment. Really hand-painted huh? :) With water colours maybe.

Anyway, definitely not for me this one. Don’t get me wrong. For I like Penang’s hokkien mee. But I can’t slurp on hot noodles in soup fast, so holding a bowl is completely out of the question.

If only they’re selling a dry version. :)

September 24th, 2010 at 11:54 pm

That’s really cute… I’d be sure to bring over a thick hand towel if I ever drop by. Very authentic! :)

September 25th, 2010 at 3:59 pm

woah..now i just wish i hvae that hokkien mee in front of mee eating and reading~

September 27th, 2010 at 5:01 pm
Penang Tionghua

I went to the place at Air Itam in the past but was always earlier than 3pm. Would try again, if I go to the island late.

Recently, I came across a stall cooking good Hokkien Mee at Kedai Kopi dan Makanan Sri Sentosa, Lorong Maju, Bukit Mertajam.

I have been there continuously for 3 days now, being a Hokkien Mee lover. Each bowl of the soup Hokkien Mee costs RM4.20 with bahkut.

Business is around 8am, but today I missed the boat at 1:30pm.

The stall is located just next to the porridge stall near the shop cashier caunter.

In the same shop, there is another stall selling dry Hokkien Mee at RM4.00 per bowl.
This is not Lor Mee. It is just Hokkien Mee with very little soup.

September 29th, 2010 at 8:28 pm

It has been more than a decade since I tried this hokkien mee. But usually I tapau and enjoy it at home!

October 5th, 2010 at 8:46 pm
Gary Loh

I tried this hokkien mee on my last trip to Penang (On recommendation from this blog). Its cheap and good ! Although there were no tables and chairs, the Soya bean milk seller nearby didnt mind customers eating the Hokkien mee @ his stall (as long as you order a glass of soya bean). The “Tau Hua” is also good and the stall owner was friendly. Thanks for the recommendation…good choice!

September 17th, 2011 at 8:19 pm
Angie

Writing this down .. husband and I are going to Penang for the 1st time after stopping in KL. We love Penang Hokkien Mee..
Anywhere else in Penang for Hokkien mee beside this one ?

April 11th, 2012 at 7:45 pm
Angie

Came yesterday at 4:30pm but the stall wasnt there. Tried again today at 6pm and the stall wasnt there also. We walked to Min Jiang kopitiam (across the street) & asked but they said they never heard of this :( we walked to the stalls around the traffic lights and checked but no one knew anything about this stall :(

April 24th, 2012 at 9:22 pm
El

I grow up with this hokkien mee and die hard fans of theirs…they used to sell in my school…A MUST TRY…!!!

May 21st, 2012 at 11:58 pm