BY CK Lam

Chee Cheong Fun is a dish of hand cut steamed flat rice noodle rolls without any filling. This little bites is a popular snack in Penang as it is simply tasty, filling and the price is reasonably cheap. The taste suits both the old and the young.

There are many Chee Cheong Fun stalls around town, the taste and texture may vary from each outlet. The rice noodles are mostly sourced from the supplier, some with springy texture while others slightly chewy. It all comes drizzled with the three basic sauces – sweet sauce (tee cheou), shrimp paste (hae ko) and chili sauce along with a dash of oil and toasted sesame seeds.

Having it drenched in the shrimp paste is Penang’s specialty. You can choose to have all the sauces or request for less sauce depending on your preference. I tend to enjoy mine with all the sauces except the sweet sauce.

Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) by what2seeonline.com

The Chee Cheong Fun can be easily enjoyed throughout the day with its plenty of stalls around town. There are a few crowd pleasers. Among them is the stall in Genting Café in Island Glades. Located near to SMK Hamid Khan the stall is very popular for its Chee Cheong Fun and its shrimp sauce, with good depth of flavor. A small serving cost RM1.70 and a big serving at RM2.50. It is available for breakfast till lunch. Click here for the Map Location.

One of the Chee Cheong Fun stalls that I’m used to going back to is located in front of Seow Fong Lye coffee shop in Macalister Lane. Each morning, many people are seen waiting for the Chee Cheong Fun. It is the top favorite amongst Penangites. The Chee Cheong Fun has a much firmer texture. It is finished off with the common three sauces and plenty of sesame seeds. The shrimp sauce is thick and gooey, with a strong savory flavor.

Stall outside Seow Fong Lye Cafe
94C Macallister Lane
Penang
Business Hour: 7.30am – 12.30pm
GPS Coordinates : N05.41680   E100.32894

Penang Chee Cheong Fun in front of Seow Fong Lye coffee shop in Macalister Lane by what2seeonline.com Penang Chee Cheong Fun in front of Seow Fong Lye coffee shop in Macalister Lane by what2seeonline.com

Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) by what2seeonline.com

Another worth mention is the stall beside the coffeeshop at the junction of Jalan Kuala Kangsar/Lebuh Kimberley. The bite-sized rice rolls were topped with a spoonful of the sweet sauce, hae koe and chili sauce. The flavor of the shrimp sauce is a bit bland compared to the stall in Seow Fong Lye.

Instead of having it with the heavy sauce, we ordered another plate of rice rolls that is totally different. The rice rolls were served with just a dash of oil, aromatic soy sauce and sesame seed. For those who are not aware of this version, do give it a try! The regulars find it simply delicious! It cost RM1.50 for two rolls and RM2.20 for three rolls. Click here for the Map Location.

Stall at the junction of Jalan Kuala Kangsar/Lebuh Kimberley
Penang
Business Hour: 7.30am – 11.30am
GPS Coordinates : N05.416896  E100.331761

Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) by what2seeonline.com

Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) by what2seeonline.com

The unique Chee Cheong Fun with Soy Sauce and Oil!

Another must-visit Chee Cheong Fun stall for me is at Kedai Kopi Sin Guat Keong. A small serving is available at Rm1.40 and the larger serving at RM2. The owner will serve the rice rolls doused with a balanced combination of sweet sauce, hae koe and chili sauce. The shrimp sauce is rich and flavorful although slightly watery. Not to be missed is the aromatic chili sauce with an appealing thick texture and nice taste.

Kedai Kopi Sin Guat Keong
Corner of Lebuh Cintra/Lebuh Kimberley
Penang
Business Hour : Early evening till night
GPS Coordinates : N05.416457   E100.332732

Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) @ Sin Guat Keong – by what2seeonline.com

Preparation of the Chee Cheong Fun at Sin Guat Keong by what2seeonline.com

Nowadays, the Chee Cheong Fun is being offered in many different versions. It is served as Chicken Curry Chee Cheong Fun, Curry Chee Cheong Fun and deep-fried Chee Cheong Fun.

The Curry Chee Cheong Fun can be found in a stall opposite Traders Hotel (formerly Shangri-La Hotel) in Magazine Road. A bowl of flat rice noodle rolls comes in a well-balanced flavorful curry soup with cubes of pig blood, cuttlefish, taufoo bok, cockles and garnished with mint leaves. It sure is awesome Chee Cheong Fun all the way. Click here for the Map Location.

Magazine Road
Business Hour : Lunch till evening
GPS Coordinates : N05.413708  E100.329266

Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) by what2seeonline.com

The Chee Cheong Fun has since been given a unique twist, being served deep-fried with fillings of crab stick and served with a dipping mayonnaise sauce. This version which is fairly new in Penang makes a surprisingly good snack for some. Personally though, it is not quite how I like my rice roll prepared.

Kuta Bali Cafe
Desa Permata Sport Complex
Lintang Paya Terubong 1
Air Itam
Paya Terubong
Penang
Business Hour : Evening till late at night
GPS Coordinates : N05 23.460   E100 16.569

Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) by what2seeonline.com

Last but not least, the Chicken Curry Chee Cheong Fun at Cintra Street comes with tender pieces of chicken drumstick and soft potato for RM3.50. The spicy flavor and the strong hint of coconut milk of the gravy makes this a very delicious dish. The stall is located opposite the Sin Sun Vood Coffeeshop and Sun Yoon Kee Seafood Restaurant. Click here for the Map Location.

Cintra Street
Business Hour : Afternoon till early evening
GPS Coordinates : N05.418247  E100.333649

Penang Chee Cheong Fun (Rice Roll) by what2seeonline.com

* This is a reproduction of my article published in New Straits Times

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, November 29th, 2010 at 3:40 pm and is filed under Chee Cheong Fun, George Town, Hawker, Media Preview, New Straits Times (Life & Times), Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow… so many versions of CCF!? :)

November 29th, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I like all these Chee Cheong Fun, too bad, I can’t try this since my Penang trip was cancelled on the last minutes. I must try next time if i visit to Penang.

November 29th, 2010 at 4:38 pm

If you ever head down to JB, let me know – Devil & I have our own fave stall of CCF there that has been knocking our friends’ socks off when they try… :D

How could I resist such super CCF…
Do let me know if you are heading down south. It would be lovely to try out the food together.

November 29th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

What a full list of Penang Best CCF Directory, we used to patronized the stall you’ve mentioned above, but never try the Deep Fried version.

Have you try Stir Fried CCF before? KL has plenty but couldn’t get them in PG

I have yet to try the stir-fried CCF… sounds interesting. Definitely will look into it.

November 29th, 2010 at 10:07 pm

If not mistaken, the CCF boss in Macallister Lane also operates another stall at the Chowrasta Market. We always ate there after our Sunday marketing.

November 30th, 2010 at 10:43 am

I never try Penang style CCF with prawn paste, it must be very aromatic!

November 30th, 2010 at 11:25 am
Mike Siew

My first choice CCF store is behind Penang Plaza, corner coffee shop (famous hockkien mee). Must try.

November 30th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

My favourite Penang CCF is the one at Genting cafe! :)

November 30th, 2010 at 1:43 pm

You so bad. Makes me hungry…

November 30th, 2010 at 9:06 pm

deep fried chee cheong fun?! i cant believe it, should try it out someday!

December 1st, 2010 at 8:42 am
Cindy Tan

CK, you should try the one in Greenlane. I think one of your comments do stated –>iamthewitch (comment 8)

December 1st, 2010 at 9:29 am
carol

Hi, do you know where I can get KL style chee cheong fun in Penang?

I have not come across it yet but sure looking forward to finding one.

December 1st, 2010 at 10:07 am

Macalister Lane rocks. Best, save for the ultra long wait.

December 1st, 2010 at 10:40 am

The next trip to Penang, I must try this. I LOVE Chee Cheong Fun! Enjoyed all you photos… SPLENDID snaps!

December 2nd, 2010 at 9:12 am

yup, i love the CCF at Genting Café in Island Glades

December 6th, 2010 at 11:26 am

my favourite penang CCF comes from Genting Coffee Shop! :D

December 6th, 2010 at 11:46 am

arh..i miss pg chee cheong fan~

December 6th, 2010 at 11:53 am
tk

It has to be little genting

December 17th, 2010 at 4:50 pm

One very unique version of curry chee cheong fun can be found at the Padang Tembak market, I don’t know how to describe it but the curry has a tint of sourish taste to it that gets you hooked… go hunt if you get the chance! :D

I have yet to venture into the market…would be a great start for me :)

December 20th, 2010 at 8:04 pm
mikecharlie4x4

There is corner coffee shop at the junction of Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah and Jalan Bukit Kecil 1, which sell the stir fried CCF. I have tried it, it taste like Char Kway Teow. This shop also sell Yong Tao Foo and Koay Teow Th’ng which a lot of people from the factories come and eat during their lunch time. It is opposite the Jabatan Kerja Raya Sungai Nibong.

Interesting intro to the stir fried ccf…thanks!

December 30th, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I was in Taiping over Christmas and tried unsuccessfully to have the famous CCF at stall no 37 at the Pusat Penjaja Taiping. Sold out before 10 a.m ! Have you tried it before ?

Happy New Year 2011 & keep up the good work.

Thanks for sharing the ccf in Taiping…will sure to looked out for it.

January 2nd, 2011 at 3:56 pm
evontakenouchi

Then you should try the CCF in Ipoh as well, that’s totally diff with Penang!! As they will come with diff type of sauce like mushroom sause, or u can go with pork skin (ju pei)!! it’s kinda nice and special as you compare to Penang CCF!!

May 27th, 2011 at 3:13 pm
jeff

My favourite Penang CCF is the one at Genting cafe! :)

yes, genting cafe at island glades is the best in town !

October 1st, 2011 at 10:58 pm
Lina Lee

Now I really don’t want to eat Penang hawker food. It is really disgusting. After looking at this article on New Lane, I just want to puke. Anyway, kudos to MPPP and the Penang State for taking action. Imagine, being fined twice. http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2012/4/17/north/11115070&sec=north

April 17th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

My first choice is Genting Kopitiam at Island Glades

September 12th, 2013 at 12:04 am

1. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 22 2012 / 8pm:

[...] Carnarvon Street Ping Hooi Cafe] Char Koay Teow [Crab Meat version at New Lane or Lorong Baru] Chee Cheong Fun [Macalister Lane Seow Fong Lye] Chee Cheong Fun (Peanut Butter Style) [Genting Cafe Island Glades] Chee Cheong Fun [Branch of Seow [...]

2. The Pulse and Soul of Georgetown, Malaysia | thetastytraveller    Aug 19 2012 / 11pm:

[...] Seow Fong Lye Chee Cheong Fun are flat rice noodles served with a sweet and spicy shrimp paste. I liked them, my boyfriend did not. [...]