BY CK Lam
The up-and-coming World Street Food Congress (WSFC) organised by Makansutra will take place on 31st May till 9th June 2013. Supported by the Singapore Tourism Board, the ten-day festival held at the F1 Pit Building and Paddock (1 Republic Boulevard) is not too be missed by all foodies and aficionados.
K.F. Seetoh, founder of Makansutra and TV host of The Food Surprise! on TLC Asia, unveiled the details of the WSFC at a press conference held last February at the Spice Market in New York City which comprises three main prongs:
– World Street Food Jamboree
– World Street Food Dialogue
– World Street Food Awards
The World Street Food Jamboree (31 May to 9 June) is a mega street food feast whereby around 40 of the world’s best street food masters gather and showcase their products. Visitors get to learn culinary cultures and enjoy new taste of hand-picked street foods from Indonesia, India, Thailand, Vietnam, USA, Mexico, Malaysia, Denmark, China and Singapore.
Keep an eye on the many exciting offerings, such as Pisang Roa (smoked fish sambal) and Kerak Telor (crispy glutinous rice frittata) from Indonesia, Banh Da Tom Hai Phong (prawn and fish red rice noodle) and Banh Khot (seafood rice cake) from Vietnam, Shrimps & Grits from United States and Bao Luo Fen from China. Not to be missed is the popular Penang Assam Laksa from Malaysia. This spicy-sour fish base soup noodle was voted No. 7 under CNNGo International Food Survey as “foods worth traveling the world to gorge on”.
Among the showcase stalls at the jamboree are Meyers Kokken by Claus Meyer (co-owner of NOMA, Denmark) and Lion City from Vietnam. Visitors can expect roasted Pork Sandwich and Seafood Teppanyaki (Singapore style).
The two days of World Street Food Dialogue (on 3rd and 4th June) reveals a line-up of influential speakers of the Food & Beverage industry. Actively sharing their ideas are food consultants, critiques, restaurateur and TV show host which include:
– JAMES OSELAND, USA – Editor-in-chief of Saveur, America’s acclaimed food magazine
– ANTHONY BOURDAIN, USA – Chef, author, TV show host
– BRETT BURMEISTER, USA – Managing Editor and co-owner of Food Carts Portland
– JOHNNY CHAN, China – TV show host
– IAN KITTICHAI, Thailand – Thailand’s first international celebrity chef Thailand’s Iron Chef
– CLAUS MEYER, Denmark – Gastronomic entrepreneur
– WILLIAM WONGSO, Indonesia – Indonesia’s culinary expert
– BRYANT NG, Singapore / USA – Chef and restaurateur
– VO QUOH, Vietnam – Top Vietnamese chef and editor
– IWAN TJANDRA, Indonesia – F&B entrepreneur
– BONDAN WINARNO, Indonesia – Indonesia’s celebrated culinary expert Head of Jalansutra
– KF SEETOH, Singapore – Founder of Makansutra
The World Street Food Awards: the world’s first awards of its kind to build awareness and recognition, not just for the street food masters, but for their culture and country as well. Awards will be given to the Top 10 Street Food Masters, Best Street Food City, Street Food Entrepreneur of the Year and Best Street Food Blogger.
“The event’s goals are to preserve, professionalise and create new possibilities for the world’s greatest culinary phenomena…comfort and street food culture.” said KF Seetoh.
For more information on the full schedule and buying of tickets for the two-day dialogue program, click here.
Opening Hours:11am till 10pm daily (except for Friday 31 May – open from 5pm till 10pm)