The Sire Museum Restaurant in the financial district of Georgetown is open to the public recently after a soft opening. The restaurant is inside a building ideally situated in No.4, King Street which belongs to the Yeap Chor Ee family.

This building has been restored and beautifully refurbished and turned into a museum cum restaurant which serves delicious food.

We celebrated Father’s Day two days earlier at this beautiful restaurant.

The fine dining restaurant on the ground floor is managed by the same owner of Ferringhi Garden. We had a chat with their Executive chef, Mr Yeoh Woei Liang who also runs the kitchen in Ferringhi Garden. We learned that even though it is under the same management, the menu and the food has been developed differently for each restaurant respectively.

This is the view that greeted us when we stepped inside.

Moving further in; the second section of the dining hall which is simply breathtaking. The high ceiling and the white glass panel wall at the rear give us an impressive feeling. The whole hall was tastefully decorated with freshly cut flowers and well tended plants.

The complementary basket of garlic bread and the plate of salad was a pleasant start to our dinner.

To start off our dinner, each of us had a share of the Baked Cheese on Smoked Salmon sandwich.

I opted for the Baked Pan Sealed Red Snapper which is infused in olive oil with fragrance garlic and seasoned with salt & pepper. It was aromatic, light and fresh tasting.

My son’s plate of carbonara spaghetti with turkey ham and assorted mushroom and seafood, tasted superb. It was garnished with chopped herbs and grated cheese. With a tinge of spiciness, this dish tasted much better and different from the usual creamy carbonara spaghetti.

Hubby had the Lamb Shank braised in tomato concasse with mirepoix – which is a blend of Tuscan herbs. It is served with pistachio mint sauce. Hubby just love its tantalizing aroma.

As there was an opening promotion (read below), ice-cream and coffee was on the house. Nice!

The surroundings of the dining hall is brightly lit with potted plants hanging from the wall. What was more impressive was the dinning area which was restored and designed to give their customers a modern and contemporary atmosphere with a bit of the olden days charm. This mixture puts one into a sense of calmness and relaxing experience.

After the meal, we took a tour around the museum of the upper floor which is filled extensively with the family heirlooms, pictures and paintings. More can be view at this post, which is solely about this museum. Here is a peek on what’s in store.

Beautiful ambiance, soothing music and delicious food plus the friendliness of the staff makes The Sire an ideal venue for lunch, dinner or a snack. Our first visit at The Sire is definitely one to remember for us especially so when it is to celebrate Father’s Day.

This stylish restaurant is currently having a special opening food promotion from now till 21st June. Customers gets to enjoy free appetizer, dessert and coffee or tea for every main course.

Happy Father’s Day to all!

The Sire Museum Restaurant
4 King Street
10200 Penang

Tel : 04 2645088

View Larger Map
GPS Coordinate : N 05 25.206 E 100 20.474

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 15th, 2008 at 4:05 pm and is filed under George Town, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Western Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

lingzie

wow! you guys are fast! lol.
i had Father’s Day lunch there today and just posted up my entry…
its a lovely place right? nice addition to the penang fine dining scene.:)

June 15th, 2008 at 5:40 pm
CK Lam

You are quick yourself too! :D
I love this nice place as well…so much so that I am making another trip there tonight bringing my friends along.

June 15th, 2008 at 5:58 pm
New Kid on the Blog

I totally agree with Lingzie!! You guys are rock man!!!! So fast!!!
I was just away for few days, and you hv conquered this place already. hahahahaha….

June 15th, 2008 at 5:58 pm
550ml jar of faith

Good work folks! Always something new here!

June 15th, 2008 at 8:45 pm
CK Lam

New Kid On The Blog – It’s the latest joint in town…do drop by… you will surely be impressed by it.

550ml jar of faith – It’s always my pleasure to bring this to you.

June 15th, 2008 at 11:15 pm
buzzingbee

Looks like a great place to dine in!! :)

June 16th, 2008 at 1:11 pm
CK Lam

Buzzingbee – after the meal, you must set aside time to tour the museum as there are some much to see…make sure your camera is fully charge:)

June 16th, 2008 at 1:25 pm
Little Inbox

I have not visit to this restaurant yet, haha. Well, will plan a visit then.

June 16th, 2008 at 10:44 pm
CK Lam

If possible try to go before the end of the promotion…really worth it.

June 16th, 2008 at 11:34 pm
Duckie

this place looks nice!!! planning to try as soon as possible

June 17th, 2008 at 3:16 pm
CK Lam

Duckie – I am sure you will love the place.
You can choose a table for two in the restaurant or reserve the long table in the museum if you are going with a group of friends.

June 17th, 2008 at 4:42 pm
J2Kfm

another new place in Penang? guess I’m at lost now. :)
bet the food is pretty expensive, being a fine dining outlet and all. but certainly worth noting, for the ambience alone. thanks

June 17th, 2008 at 11:07 pm
CK Lam

j2kfm – the ambience alone is worth going to and moreover the food is very delicious too.

The prices are quite reasonable…sandwiches and pasta is around RM15, which is almost the same as other franchise outlets…and there are also the red meat which is slightly pricier.

June 17th, 2008 at 11:24 pm
s

may i know the title of the song in your blog?

June 20th, 2008 at 11:09 pm
CK Lam

S – The title of the song in my blog is Cry On My Shoulder.

June 21st, 2008 at 12:31 am
s

its very nice..
thank you!!
=D

June 22nd, 2008 at 12:33 pm
Anonymous

hi…i went to this restaurant last week. very nice ambience & food is yummy-licious. hope to have dinner there instead of lunch. wonder how it looks like at night with the lights..

July 2nd, 2008 at 3:29 pm
CK Lam

Anonymous – You should drop by this place for dinner, its really charming and cosy with the lightings, soothing music plus the candle light on the table.

July 2nd, 2008 at 10:17 pm
Anonymous

Hi I am a new blogger to this blog :D

Great that you all like the place…all thanks to my great, great grandfather, Yeap Chor Ee ;)

We are even thinking of adding new photos of more members of the family :D

August 22nd, 2008 at 9:33 pm
CK Lam

Anonymous – Your great,great grandfather is indeed a far-sighted man. Not many people are so capable as him.

All of you have put in a lot of effort to preserve all the historical items and willingly to share it with the public.

Hope to get another opportunity to see new items being added and display in the museum in the near future.

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

August 23rd, 2008 at 12:46 am
Anonymous

Hi,

The restaurant is indeed nicely renovated and decorated. However, the staff can hardly understand you and you have to repeat your request again to another staff. At that price on the menu, we expect well trained staff.

I went with my husband on Merdeka eve, I ordered a harmony chicken. It was half cooked. Returned to the kitchen. Came back same piece of chicken breast and added some vege. That’s all.

It was almost full house; the staff might be kelam-kabut. Shall give another chance to visit again.

September 2nd, 2008 at 9:40 am
CK Lam

Anonymous – This type of scenario could happen when the place is packed with customers…usually kelam-kabut.

Do drop by another day and give it a try again. I hope you will have a happy outing then :)

September 5th, 2008 at 4:59 pm
i care

how come you can take photo there?
yesterday i go with my fren, they dun let us take photo~
Anyway thats really a nice place and good service too

September 20th, 2008 at 1:27 am
CK Lam

I care – Heard the same thing from another friend of mine…they too was not allow to take any photos :(

Besides that, I really like the setting of that place…relaxing and charming. Will drop by again one of this days.

September 21st, 2008 at 11:34 am
Yoelyn

Went to Sire for lunch today for the first time since it was so highly recommended by several people in this blog. On my personal opinion, food is not good at all & over-rated and I wont further elaborate about the food since several people in this blog said it was good but it’s up to individual to grade this place. The mansion itself was lovely and the overall decor was indeed charming. The museum itself can be better if lay out properly, label properly and display more things about Yeap Chor Ee himself throughout his life, his achievement and his charitable contribution back to society. I believe the display area still in the infancy stage and can be better. Hope to see more in future when have the chance.

October 27th, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Yoelyn – I was there when it was intially open and the food was pretty good. Its nice that you point out ways to improve on the museum.
Hopefully we will be able to see much improvement on the future visit.

October 30th, 2008 at 12:27 pm
scottie

Highly recommend to “The Sire”. It’s pretty nice there and cozy atmosphere. The brownies are so so much delicious……….should hv voted as one of the best restaurant in town.

November 9th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

i went ther before :) nice

+1´s last blog post..?????????

November 10th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Scottie – I highly recommed this place to all my friends…indeed beautifully done up.

+1 – I totally agree with you…it is a nice place. Hope they could do more in introducing this nice place so as the public will get to know about it.

November 20th, 2008 at 11:18 am
Sekee

I found the introduction from Guang Ming, it stated this restaurant is serving chinese food?

November 21st, 2008 at 12:25 pm
Sammy

The Sire was featured in The Star sometime last year. After reading it i went there with a couple of my Mak Salleh friends. All of us were impressed by its interior and history. But food are not as good as what we expected.

January 16th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Sammy – Most people are impressed with the deco and ambiance.
Hopefully they will pay some attention to the comments and feedback on the food from their customers.

January 19th, 2009 at 3:14 pm
Islander

hi CK Lam, I’d like to ask how much are they charging for the Lamb Shank and Baked Pan Sealed Red Snapper?

April 6th, 2009 at 12:46 am

Hi, i was wondering if you can provide on the food pricing- the ones you shown on the blog. The food looks lovely.

Sue´s last blog post..Staying Healthy & Aging Gracefully

April 30th, 2009 at 11:37 am

Islander & Sue – I don’t remember the pricing of the food since it’s been a while since my last visit.

April 30th, 2009 at 1:20 pm
mooncake2

Islander & Sue, I haven’t been there, but my friends who’ve been complained about the pricey food. I suggest you look at the menu and pricing before walking in. I guess they indirectly “charge” for the museum entrance fee as well. :)

Too bad that CK Lam can’t remember the pricing.

June 17th, 2009 at 1:03 pm
Stone

Very tasteless food. Low grade and expensive. Chef better retire. Waste my pocket. Even Ecco Cafe is much more better!

June 18th, 2009 at 1:51 pm
Mike

I will be having dinner tonite at this place, will give more feedback on the food, service and price.

September 22nd, 2009 at 5:35 pm
Mike

This website provides some info on the price, check it out:-

September 22nd, 2009 at 5:36 pm

mooncake2 – I think it is natural for everyone to check out the prices of the food before they order in wherever they patronize.

Stone – Thanks for sharing your opinion. It’s been sometime since my last visit. Definitely going to try out the food again.

Mike – Hope to see your views after your dinner outing :)

September 22nd, 2009 at 6:03 pm
Mike

As promised, below is my review:-

Excellent
- The ambiance
- Wide selection of menu
- The staff who greet us at the entrance (make us feel welcome)
- The museum display

Area of Improvements
- Quality/Skill of the service staff, need to be more attentive to fundamental of service as we were charged for 10% service charge or also know as TIPS. We would expect a simple thing like filling up our empty glasses of water before is being requested to be filled. This happenend numerous time during our dinner and the place is not fully booked. Can’t imagine what the service will be like if it is full house.

Food that we ordered:-
- Pan Fried Red Snapper (RM29.80) Excellent
- Grilled Teriyaki Salmon (RM40.80) Excellent
- Grilled Lamb Chop (RM32.80) While the taste is complimentary, the portion & serving size needs to be increased. The 3 pieces of lamb on my plate were the smallest piece that I ever had in all of my dining experience. Thought it was kind of pathetic!
- Baked Mushroom (RM15.80) portion and price paid not matched, too little
- Walnut Brownie with Ice Cream (RM16.80) Excellent

September 24th, 2009 at 12:25 am

Mike – Thanks for sharing your review and the pricing of the food with all my readers.

September 24th, 2009 at 12:53 am
Chan Hock Kin

Cool.

January 5th, 2010 at 1:36 am

1. The Sire Museum Restaurant, Penang (Revisited) | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 23 2008 / 3pm:

[...] food in a charming environment in Penang. We had such an enjoyable time at this restaurant on our first visit on Friday. Furthermore, Dr Alex is a photographer as well, and this museum restaurant is a great [...]

2. Coffee Lane, Penang - Something is Brewing in the Cafe! | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 07 2009 / 11pm:

[...] down town to seek out this latest trendy brew. The cafe situated in King Street, the same road as The Sire Museum Restaurant is own by Terry Beh, a person truly passionate about [...]