Fried Oh Chien (fried oyster omelette) is a favorite hawker food in Penang and there are plenty of choices to enjoy this delicacy around town. The more common ones would be the gooey stick base and the other is the crispy base. The ingredients for both versions are basically quite similar, with the difference in the texture and the frying technique.

Fried oyster has the combination of rice flour batter, chives, egg and oysters, fried in a flat griddle over high heat. The key to making a good fried oyster omelette is with the starch solution. It must have just about enough to hold the other ingredients together, while too much of it will create gumminess which I personally find to be a turn-off. Some stalls have their Oh Chien garnished with coriander leaves. In this post I’ll be covering three particular stalls.

Oh Chien (Fried Oyster Omelette) around Penang by what2seeonline.com

Yummy “oh chien” in the midst of preparation…

YI GARDEN COFFEE SHOP

There are two hawker food in Yi Garden coffeeshop along Mccalister Road that I frequently eat, the pan mee and the fried oyster. The lightly charred fried oyster omelette is crispy at the edges and starchy in the middle with the right amount of starch solution to hold the ingredients together. I just love its fluffy eggy omelette and the juicy oysters on top!

Oh Chien (Fried Oyster Omelette) around Penang by what2seeonline.com

Thin runny batter with chives

Oh Chien (Fried Oyster Omelette) around Penang by what2seeonline.com

Starch solution with chive is spread over the griddle followed by eggs…

Oh Chien (Fried Oyster Omelette) around Penang by what2seeonline.com Oh Chien (Fried Oyster Omelette) around Penang by what2seeonline.com

Big size oysters with eggs and the accompanying chili garlic sauce

Yummylicious oh chien!

Click here for the Map Location. The frontage of the shop faces directly opposite The Guang Ming office and with its side leading inwards to Lorong Selamat.

Business Hour : 6pm – 10.30pm
Close on Sunday
GPS Coordinates : N05 24.980   E100 19.458

***

LAM AH COFFEE SHOP

The place for crispy Oh Chien is in Lam Ah Coffeeshop at the intersection of Beach and Chulia Street, opposite the Lebuh Pantai fire station (Bomba). The fried oyster omelette pancake from this stall is always a must for me whenever I drop by the coffee shop for the Beef Koay Teow. It is super crispy and topped off with a generous serving of small oysters. I could do without the chili sauce for this omelette and enjoyed it to the very last bite.

Business Hour : 11pm – 3.30pm
Close on Sunday
GPS Coordinates : N05 24.925   E100 20.363

***

SENG THOR COFFEE SHOP

I have been to the stall in Seng Thor coffeeshop with my family and visitors a few times. The owner, Mr Lim has been frying Oh Chien for over fifty years after inheriting from his father. It is widely known as the “famous Carnavon Street Oh Chien”. The omelette is fried using vegetable cooking oil (switched from lard many years ago), and with a generous serving of large oysters.

Oh Chien (Fried Oyster Omelette) around Penang by what2seeonline.com

Although most of the fried oysters are relatively oily, I personally find this a bit over soggy. I noticed that the fried batter is kept on the side of the griddle soaking in oil while waiting to be scoop out and refried with some flour batter and fried oysters when there is an order.

Oh Chien (Fried Oyster Omelette) around Penang by what2seeonline.com

The oysters are fried separately with some spicy sauce

In short, I find the Oh Chien being weighed down by its oiliness.

Oh Chien (Fried Oyster Omelette) around Penang by what2seeonline.com

Click here for the Map Location.

Business Hour : 1pm – 5.00pm
Days off is not fixed
GPS Coordinates : N05 2454.9   E100 2004.5

Do share with me your preference of fried Oh Chien, the starchy or the crispy ones and where is the best fried Oh Chien you have ever eaten?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, January 29th, 2010 at 7:55 pm and is filed under Fried Oyster Omelette, George Town, Hawker, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

i truly love fried Oh Chien!!! lets forget about the high calori and let the starchy sensations linger within your mouth !!!
i recommend the fried oh chien stall beside of Jelutong Pos Office!! it is opened at night!

January 30th, 2010 at 12:50 am

I personally found that the one at Gurney hawker center is most professional and probably less oily :)

January 30th, 2010 at 12:57 am

modo alimentare – I drove passed that food stalls but have yet to try out the food there. Thanks for the intro.

Wiki Street Food – Great, that place will be very convenient for the visitors.

January 30th, 2010 at 1:30 am

Oh I miss some really good Oh Chien since moving to KL years ago from Melaka. I guess I know where I can find some decent fried oyster omelette when I visit Penang! :)

January 30th, 2010 at 9:11 am

The one at Lam Ah is a hidden gem! The guy is always very friendly and it makes such a good snack if the wait for the beef noodles is particularly long

January 30th, 2010 at 9:25 am

Or Chean collection, uh?

January 30th, 2010 at 10:52 am

Life for Beginners – Come to think of it, I have yet to bring you for some Oh Chien…will add it into your coming trip :)

Chris – My family usually end up having two plates, one gooey and the other crispy ones.

NKOTB – This is my first full post review of hawker style Oh Chien after having eaten so much….a bit slow ya…haha.

January 30th, 2010 at 11:01 am

They all look scrumptious!! I like mine easy on the starch so the crispy ones would be my pick! Didn’t know there was Pan Mee at Yi Garden! I know some Pg folks will be very happy to hv that info!

January 30th, 2010 at 3:41 pm

This look so tempting and delicious ! Yummy.

January 30th, 2010 at 4:00 pm
taukwa

wah, the oysters looks so plump and succulent. I probably would prefer the crispier one.

coming soon liao!

January 30th, 2010 at 10:33 pm
henry

the one beside jelutong post office at night is the best i find so far that i’ve tried in penang, especially the chilli sauce that goes with it, it’s addded with some garlic mixed vinegar (which i think is) that made it even nicer.

January 31st, 2010 at 4:59 am

i prefer crispy oh chien and i loved the oh chien from the stall at the old kopitiam opposite new world park. but he’s moved though and i’m not sure where :(

January 31st, 2010 at 9:18 am

oh, i love oh chien. I’ll set the GPS co-ordinate right away !

February 1st, 2010 at 12:21 am

Crunchy and juicy oyster …. yummy!

February 1st, 2010 at 10:07 am

aiyoo..lau nua early in the morning..pai seh~

February 1st, 2010 at 11:29 am

whao I never know the o-chien at LAM AH COFFEE SHOP (beef noodle) is good!

i always go there for the noodle, but never try the oyster before! how lame :p

February 1st, 2010 at 1:24 pm
ryokoto

can i know the friend oyster omellete than near komtar near got introduce here…

February 1st, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I love this dish so much but hardly find a good one in KL. Well, I am going to Penang soon and hopefully I can meet up this “Oh Chien”… haha…

February 1st, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for this CK, I love Or Chien, and Penang does them best. Though I am not fond of Seng Thor’s version as well.

Last I rmbr, the one opposite of the old Swatow Lane stalls was good, crispy and not too oily. Sin Se Kai (or something). Dunno stil there or not.

Northam Beach cafe did a brilliant version back then, but the last I had they were awful. Sigh… I wanna try the Lam Ah’s version.

In fact I just found out recently that the stall in Lam Ah is actually the same stall from the coffee shop opposite the old Swatow Lane.

February 2nd, 2010 at 2:02 pm
Andrew

Interesting posting.

This is among my favorites in Pg. The best I have tasted so far would be from Gurney Drive.

Northam Beach Cafe isn’t too shabby, either. Improved, somewhat.

Cheers :D

February 4th, 2010 at 2:26 pm

there was one famous and hochiak o-chen at “chun ban hiun” “??? “, opposite Tranders Hotel last time.. but dont know where the stall move to after the old shop lots demolished and awaiting redevelopment

February 8th, 2010 at 9:13 am

oh mai goddd iot looks so good! btw one of your readers recognize me in your blog, how cool is that :D :D

February 9th, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I’m familiar with the Yi Garden oh chien. Definitely good stuff! Hopefully the stall will be open on one of the nights we’re in Penang!

February 10th, 2010 at 12:32 am
sinupi

reply to ahKOK (21) & another option for CK:
it moved to Asia Cafe near Penang hill there :D

March 1st, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your time leaving the comments. Will check out the oh chien at asia cafe too :)

March 1st, 2010 at 1:46 pm
bear

the lam ah coffe shop is open from 11am or 11pm? i went on saturday 2pm but it was closed…

The coffee shop closes on Sunday.

March 8th, 2010 at 7:12 pm

A few that i personally like..the bayan baru market Oh Chien, the one you posted at Macalister Rd, and the one at Bee Hooi coffee shop along Burma Rd.

Thanks for sharing the other two places for Oh Chien :)

May 1st, 2010 at 4:39 pm
christ

i prefer that fried oyster at new lane goh chew coffee shop there…it taste different…

May 6th, 2010 at 12:55 am
TimeToChow

glad to learn about your bog. it is a great site!

Oooh lovely comparison of three diff ho chien stall. all with different looking results. how interesting. i would love any of those three versions, i am sure. though i generally prefer the crispy verison with the oysters just slightly raw, povided they are fresh.
I wonder if you happen to know what kind of oysters they use? would love to make them at home. any recipe suggestion? thank you..

June 10th, 2010 at 8:05 am
Karina

Hi CK LAM, Happy Chinese New Year. Perhaps you can have the try of the oh chien stall in chong nam (air itam) coffee shop =)

February 7th, 2011 at 10:53 am
penang kia penang lang

the BEST o-chien in whole PG gotta be the 1 @ Chong Nam restaurant, on the way to KekLokSi temple… 100000% satisfaction guaranteed~!

February 19th, 2011 at 7:59 pm
Jenny

I prefer the crispy version at Lam Ah coffee shop. The taste is also quite different.

July 14th, 2011 at 12:55 pm
Steven

Had the Oh Chien at Seng Thor on Carnavon Road last week when I visited Penang. Cost me $15 and the portion was ordinary and the taste not great. In fact, it smelled funny like overused grease. Only managed to finish half of it. Will never go back there again.

July 18th, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Hi…I am going to have my vaca in penang end of this month, can anyone suggest me which is the best place to have a great Oh-Chien?

August 11th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

strongly recommend taiping larul matang food court oh chien.if have chance, u may go to try. the tase is nice. :)

August 9th, 2012 at 10:47 am