Penang Teochew Cendol or commonly known as Ang Tau Cendol is a highly popular dessert. This Penang hawker food is an all-time favorite among the locals and the tourist. It can be found in a stall located on Lebuh Keng Kwee, off Penang Road.

img_4920.jpg

This delicious cooling sweet dessert cost RM1.70 and comes with ingredients of shaved ice, red beans, cendol, coconut milk and gula melaka (brown sugar).

img_3268.jpg

Sweetened red bean

img_3269.jpg

Cendol in coconut milk

img_3264.jpg

Most customers would just stand around the stall eating the cendol whereas some would opt to sit in the coffee shop nearby.

img_4940.jpg
Look out for the right hand side cendol stall

Besides Cendol, you can make a request for their colourful iceball. It is seldom seen nowadays and was once a very favourable item and loved by many children. It does bring back old memories when I remembered buying this type of  iceball (at only RM0.10 cents) after school hours. It was fun then holding the cold iceball with my bare hands.

img_9788.jpg
Ice ball nowadays come in plastic bag

The lady will accommodate the order provide she is not too busy. It does take some skill to make the iceball. She has to make sure the shaved ice are pack tightly together to ensure that the ball do not fall apart. It can be quite cold on the hands when doing so. Hop on over to Cokeworld Citizen to watch a video clip of the making process.

img_9763.jpg

img_9770.jpg

One such iceball douse with sarsi and red sugar syrup cost RM0.80. I wish I could see more of this iceball around town. Both hubby and I got one each and had some fun slurping away as we walk back to the car. I am happy to have found it and definitely bringing my son to try it. Click here for the Map Location.

img_9781.jpg
Hubby prefer holding the iceball with his bare hands…haha

Penang Teochew Cendul
Lebuh Keng Kwee
Off Penang Road
Penang

Open daily from : 11am – 7pm

GPS Coordinates : N05 2501.9   E100 1950.1

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 at 10:49 pm and is filed under Cendul, Dessert, George Town, Hawker, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Ice Ball! it’s hardly available nowdays. I heard of it, but I never had it before… Hehe.. must go try one day. Thanks !

allie´s last blog post..Penang Restaurant | Smoky Jack (Ribs & Steak House)

April 23rd, 2009 at 11:33 pm

The taukeh do lagi best …. I had this last trip with Alex but no take out camera though coz hand full of engine oils. XD

email2me´s last blog post..Penang Coconut Jelly

April 23rd, 2009 at 11:46 pm

this is best when the weather is like an oven hot!!! agree???

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Everyday Supreme Restaurant ?????

April 24th, 2009 at 8:35 am

We used to have ice ball… during my elementary school…. but not with hand, instead a stick… :)

Uhmmm… Isn’t that unhygienic to touch the iceball directly with bare hand especially after the buyer paid the money and then received the iceball? Oh, does the vendor provide a place for washing hand first?

Selba´s last blog post..Rujak Potong – cut fruit (2)

April 24th, 2009 at 8:53 am

ice ball …cute.but a bit difficult to eat ya?!! i still prefer the normal ice kacang haha…

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Rak Thai@The Gardens

April 24th, 2009 at 9:32 am

iceball….reminds me when I was young, used to have that after school. Haha my Piggies would love that. We don’t have that in Ipoh anymore :(

Elin´s last blog post..Pecan Nut Butter

April 24th, 2009 at 9:51 am

Ice balls sure brings back memories.

foodbin´s last blog post..FRIED GAROUPER FISH SKINS.

April 24th, 2009 at 11:06 am

allie – Do share your experience after trying it.

email2me – Will go again and hope the taukeh will do it for me this time.

New Kid On The Blog – Right, it was nice and cold, especially my lips…haha

Selba – They put it in a plastic bag as they feel customers are more aware of hygiene. Btw…they don’t have a washing place.

SimpleGirl – The fun is juggling the ball and trying to suck up all the syrup on it…can be a bit difficult.

Elin – Make sure you take your piggies to this stall on your penang trip.

foodbin – And most of the memories are very sweet, just like the iceball, right?

April 24th, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I went to this place many many times and the I just went last weekend. But I did not know there is such ice ball thing. Thanks for the sharing!

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

April 24th, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Eating the ice ball sure like a mess~~~

mimid3vils´s last blog post..Starbucks Breakfast Pairing Menu

April 24th, 2009 at 3:37 pm

By the way now they just opened their own place for eating the cendol + rojak in their house which rerenovated to become their cendol restaurant. With air cond some more. hehehe ….. just walk down the road on the right hand side. You won’t miss it. They can fix for you your cendol there too. Less people. :D

email2me´s last blog post..Penang Coconut Jelly

April 24th, 2009 at 4:00 pm

soo sean – It’s good to give it a try.

mimid3vils – Can be a bit messy but it is fun.

email2me – Thanks, it’s good to know that…will be more comfy for customers, at least no need to look out for traffic…haha

April 24th, 2009 at 7:40 pm

I always have their cendol, but never knew they do ice balls! I use to love eating this as a kid…sticky, messy & yummy!! =D

Bangsar-bAbE´s last blog post..Kafe Beriani Gam Putra

April 24th, 2009 at 8:27 pm

An authentic Penangite post on Penang food !

Perfect with a beautiful rustic blogger theme !

This cendol we know and we have voted it as the best in Malaysia !

April 24th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

hahaha by the time I finish the ice ball, my fingers were numb d.

Btw, thanks for the mention ^^ I like the cendol shot. Can see the santan splatters…very ada feel. Haha

Jian´s last blog post..Penang Island Plaza – Japin Japanese Restaurant

April 25th, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Reminds me of the homemade ice cream during my childhood days, not eaten with bare hand, but on the ice cream stick instead :)

Chen´s last blog post..Happy 4th Blogiversary

April 26th, 2009 at 10:22 am

Hey, I just had it last week and I found that the Malacca cendol is much fragant compared to Penang one due to use of gula melaka. :)

cariso´s last blog post..Shanghai Ding – Lunch Set

April 26th, 2009 at 11:01 am

I can’t imagine to hold the ice ball in hand. Too cold for me, haha…

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Meat Patties In Mushroom Sauce

April 26th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

CK, I think U can roughly guess their age by the way they described the snow-ball. For me, I used to hold it with my hand and enjoy it till the last drop, then my lips would turn very pinky and my body feel very cooling …. but no more now, I haven’t seen this stuff for years, like U, I’ll definitely bring my kids to try it if I happen to find it again …..

April 26th, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I heard about iceball from my parents too, but never tried before. I love cendol, but i dislike red bean :)

Mindy´s last blog post..Say YES to Anplas-Bag!!!

April 26th, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Oh ! One more thing, it costs only 5 cents for this snow ball during my time, and 10 cents if U want to add red bean in the middle of this cute little thing, so I think U should know my age now ….. haha…

April 26th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

My mum used to tell me stories of her younger days, ordering the ice balls to eat after school. Gosh, I didn’t know they still sold them. I must tell my mum. haha.

April 27th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

This ice ball brought back a lot of childhood memories. :) Too bad they don’t sell it anymore in Singapore. I would have like to introduce it to my 3 year old. She would love it. :)

The Cooking Ninja´s last blog post..Black Forest Cake

June 16th, 2009 at 7:31 pm

oh my god i was searching for Soh EE’s ( tong yuen) photos,when i found your blog ! its so awesome ! please keep it up, will be back for more ! i didnt know that this famous Cendol Stall in Penang Road are selling Ice balls!! The last time i had one was when im 8..and there is a stall selling it during the Hungry Ghost Festival in Anson Road Market, where there is a Stage Show ( koh Tai ) ..Good old time in Penang

=)

December 22nd, 2009 at 11:26 am
Addicted to FOOD

I can’t wait to try this!!!!
WooHoo!

=P

March 1st, 2010 at 2:17 pm
PP

Tried this today at 4pm. The weather was so hot that most of the ice melted b4 it reached my hand. I had a room temp chendol with 2 teaspoon of ice in it. Emm …

May 21st, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Will be visiting Penang tomorrow…can’t wait to taste it…:)

June 24th, 2010 at 1:19 am
Tanky Woo

I used to have this kind of syrup ice ball before during my childhood age. Nowaday I can’t find it anymore….Thanks for sharing a priceless memories

October 10th, 2010 at 12:28 am
Cendol Fan

For people in Klang Valley, wanna to try the Penang Road Famous Cendol & Ais Kacang, it can be found at LG2 Arena Foodcourt, Jusco Bandar Sunway. It is originally same taste like Penang. Just try it & comment

October 18th, 2010 at 5:21 am

Wow! Didn’t know about the Ice Balls…gotta try it soon!
Thanks for reviewing this place!

May 31st, 2011 at 11:22 pm
Jill

These were common in the 60s. my dad used to eat them after school when he was a kid. they used to sell them at 5cents or something
anyways. I found THE ONLY place which sells ice balls in singapore!

The Singapore Food Trail @ Singapore Flyer
(30 Raffles Avenue #01-09/12, Singapore, Singapore 039803)

you definitely need to drop by if you’re in Singapore. very unique & amazing place

July 27th, 2011 at 11:43 am
Yeap

The cendol does not taste as good as before, their standard drop a lot, in fact i had tried a small push cart indian cendol stall in yong peng they make better cendol.

August 28th, 2011 at 12:01 am

the ice ball look so special.

August 14th, 2012 at 4:36 pm

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jun 05 2010 / 10am:
  2. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 22 2012 / 8pm:

[...] Next to Rolex Woo Hing] Braised Chicken Feet and Mushroom [Kimberley Street Sky Emperor Cafe] Cendol [Penang Road Joo Hooi Cafe] Char Koay Kak [Batu Lancang Market Food Court - Seafood Style] Char Koay Kak [Lorong Macalister [...]