For lovers of  Nasi Kandar and Nasi Briyani, do drop by Restaurant Kapitan at Chulia Street, Penang. Among the many variety of  Nasi Briyani, we chose the Chicken Briyani (RM7.00) and the Beef Briyani (RM6.00). The rice flavored with many spices is serve in a claypot and comes with a light curry gravy.

P1070599-1

The image above depicts the Claypot Chicken Briyani while the equally superb Beef Briyani is right below – both meat are tender and tastefully marinated while the portion is relatively satisfying.

P1070616-1

There are plenty of ready cooked dishes. We chose a plate of pickles and mix vegetable to go with our meal.

P1070608-1

P1070620-1

P1070607-1

Besides the hearty rice, we added a plate of Chicken Cheese Naan costing RM8.50 which comes with some onions, mint sauce, reddish sauce and coleslaw. I personally prefer the Naan that I had in Sri Ananda Bahwan in Tanjung Bunga.

P1070593-1

We had a peek inside the kitchen where the naans and the tandoori chickens are prepared in clay oven. The kitchen is filled with the aroma of the grilled chicken.

P1070622-2

P1070623-1

For drinks, we tried something different. We had the hot Badam Milk (almond milk). The pure cow milk is boiled with grinded almond, cashew nuts and raisins in a big kuali. Sugar is added for sweetness.

P1070631-1

P1070627-1

Before serving,  the milk is “pulled” from one teacup to the other, just like the teh tarik.

P1070634-1

P1070637-1

The boiled raisins and cashew nuts added flavor to the soothing and wholesome drink. This is the first time we had this drink and it turns out to be very pleasant indeed.

P1070638-1

Just like most Mamak shop, Restaurant Kapitan is open 24 hours. Located at 93, Chulia Street, the restaurant is a block away from the famed Bomba beef  koay teow stall. It has a separate dining area upstairs, which is fully air-conditioned.

If you can’t make it downtown, drop by their Gurney Tower branch (outside Gurney Hotel) and the Queensbay Mall branch.

P1070641

Click here for the Map Location.

Other food outlets along Chulia Street :
Ecco Cafe
Sky Hotel Roast Meat
Rainforest Bakery

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 17th, 2008 at 8:47 pm and is filed under George Town, Indian Cuisine, Nasi Kandar/ Nasi Briyani, Penang, Penang Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Little Inbox

I tried nasi Briyani once in our factory canteen. Not bad, a kind of herbs fragrant rice, serve with rendang chicken, and prawn curry. Looking at your photo, so many types of curry they serve, slurp slurp, wanna grab some now… :P

July 17th, 2008 at 10:04 pm
squall

i wan claypot chicken briyani!!!

July 18th, 2008 at 7:55 am
durianberry

I’ve stopped patronising the restaurant since they serve burnt tandoori chicken on my 2nd time there. All 3 orders were looking bad. Never tried their chicken briyanni though.

Badam milk looks yummy~ I didn’t know they have that. I asked for fresh milk once but the worker doesn’t understand :( Teh tarik easiest to order

July 18th, 2008 at 8:49 am
CK Lam

Little Inbox – there is also the mutton briyani besides the chicken and beef.

Squall – I am sure there are plently of nasi briyani in your place too but if you are in Penang, this is the place to go for it.

Durianberry – the tandoori chicken on that night was perfectly grilled…might have improve since your last visit. Go for the nasi briyani the next round.

July 18th, 2008 at 9:27 am
lingzie

the badam milk looks really good! never noticed it in their really extensive menu.. :)
i love the tandoori here though i usually go to the gurney tower one.

July 18th, 2008 at 12:57 pm
gill gill

Their Mutton Nasi Briyani, Chicken Tandori Set (come with naan & salad) and Badam Milk is the best that i ever had! haa…i think evening session cooks better. Some how the Tandori will abit dried, depends on the chef.

But their Nasi Kandal & dishes is below par.

July 18th, 2008 at 1:29 pm
CK Lam

Lingzie – you must try out this drink. Besides nourishing, it is very creamy and tasty but not sure if there serve this in the gurney tower outlet.

July 18th, 2008 at 1:47 pm
Fortesfidelis

I cant remember seeing Badam milk in the menu of the outlet at Gurney Tower. I go there sometimes to chill since it’s a lot cooling in the evening when u sit outside. It’s good that you mention that they have Badam milk otherwise I wont have known. I might just try it. Interesting combination wont you say?

July 18th, 2008 at 3:08 pm
550ml jar of faith

I order the chicken separately as not a fan of the rice… just as good on its own! What’s that foamy sponge thing coming out of the teacup?!

July 18th, 2008 at 3:17 pm
CK Lam

Gillgill – went there in the evening as it is not so hot and had the chicken and beef briyani but will get my hands on that mutton briyani very soon :)

July 18th, 2008 at 3:26 pm
CK Lam

Fortefidelis – besides the badam milk, you can try out the cup of wholesome milk with a raw egg. Do update me if you happen to come across this drink in Gurney Tower outlet.

550ml jar of faith – sorry, forget to mention…it is the piece of curd milk (top layer) from the boiling pot of milk. The texture is spongy.

July 18th, 2008 at 4:09 pm
Criz Lai

I’m not sure about this but I did hear some friends telling me that they do not use coconut milk in their cooking but yogurt and milk instead. I would say it’s quite healthy too.

I was there few days back and had their Cheesy Chicken as well Tandoori Chicken. The Tandoori Chicken tasted anytime better. You might not be aware of it, they do serve Chicken Chop too :P

July 19th, 2008 at 4:16 pm
CK Lam

Criz Lai – I don’t even know Chicken Chop was in their menu…definitely a must try for me. Just curious of the taste when this dish is serve in a Mamak shop.

Also glad to know that they don’t use coconut milk in their cooking…healthier for all of us :)

July 19th, 2008 at 11:19 pm
Penang, Malaysia

I only go there for the tandoori chicken set (one of the nicest I know). Will try the briyani when there’s a chance.

July 21st, 2008 at 1:19 pm
CK Lam

Penang,Malaysia – Nice of you to drop by. You are the second person to recommend the tandoori chicken…I definitely would go and try it. Thanks.

July 21st, 2008 at 1:39 pm
Eleen Por

CK,

Their tandoori chicken is definitely *the best* on the entire island. My man and I swear by it! :D

We took some frenz from KL and S'pore there last nite for our 2 fav dishes – tandoori chicken set & nasi briyani (doesn't matter which meat, they are all yummy!). Let's just say they walked out of Kapitan's rubbing their tummies with a grin on their faces. :)

August 28th, 2008 at 9:32 pm
CK Lam

Eleen Por – Do try their Ayam Chacos (Pizza) on your next outing. Surprisingly their version of pizza is just as good.

August 29th, 2008 at 12:07 am

Wow…delicious mouthwatering curries and tandoori chicken and look at those big shrimps and crabs!! Awesome…not fair ! Penang has all the good food…real food paradise….:))))

Elin´s last blog post..Streaky Bacon Fried Rice With Salted Egg Yolk

June 17th, 2009 at 10:19 am
SNilashini

Last weekend, I was in Penang with my husband and 2 kids for a short weekend get-away. We visited the Kek Lok Si Temple and Penang Hill on our first day there. On our way up to Penang Hill, we decided to stop for lunch at a nearby Chinese coffee shop. A friend of mine had recommended that we try the dishes from a local favorite Indian stall within the coffee shop. I was told that the stall, operated by an old Indian lady, also provides catering to churches, associations and schools.

As we approached the stall in the corner of the coffee shop, I noticed that the stall and the cooking area next to the stall were much disorganized. At that time, I did not make much of it as I had thought that most hawkers in Penang were of similar nature. After all, the lady has been catering food to so many establishments. I thought, surely they would not approve of her food if they were soiled.

We ordered 4 dishes to eat with rice. Half way through eating, my daughter made a fuss, saying she had eaten a small cockroach with her food. My husband quickly tried to get her to spit it out but she had swallowed the mouthful. Concerned and suspicious, I went back to the stall and this time, observed the environment carefully. I noticed that the lady had left uncooked food and spices below the cooking counter which was dirty and had small cockroaches crawling from it. I pointed this to her but she just waved me away saying she had no time to organize the place as she had just recently resumed the business after stopping for 2 months. On the same night, all 4 of us were admitted to a private hospital opposite our hotel for food poisoning. My daughter was the worst hit and is currently still recovering from diarrhea.

Penang is famous for its delicious food which attracts thousand of tourist to the state every year. But I am sad that the local government does not put much emphasis on the hygiene of food operators. Food operators like the Indian lady stall operator in Ayer Itam should not be allowed to operate.

What is the consumer association doing?

Why isn’t anyone monitoring the hygiene of these operators?

Aren’t these operators required to wear hair net, apron and plastic gloves?

Thinking back, I am concern with the children, parishioner and members of the establishments which order from this lady. Unknowingly, they are exposed to such unhygienic food. Parents please be on alert the next time your children eat catering at schools and association.

July 31st, 2009 at 7:05 pm
boy

casher dia teruk…aku makan nasi harga 7.60 then time bayar aku hulur duit 20 hinggit sbb sepuluh tu aku nak beli nasi bungkus…(oder baru), casher ambik duit tu,dan pulang kan belance 2.40sen, lepas tu aku tunggu lah,casher tu mcm buat x tahu je nasi yg aku oder tu….aku tanya dia balik saya oder nasi bungkus satu..saya sudah bagi 20 hinggit tadi…dengn slumber casher tu cakap ”u kasi i tadi 10 hinggit saja…saya x ada pegang 20…10 saja u bayar u tengok betul2 u punya dompet”? hangin betul teruk punya casher yg pernah aku jumpa…casher tu perempuan…kuat berangan..duit org bagi pun boleh tak alert…nak berniaga buat lah cara nak berniaga…aku pesan kat dia hanya Allah saja nampa…

November 28th, 2012 at 12:55 am
anne

I m here now at kapitan restaurant. The only one thing that I would like 2comment is their cistomer service is very bad. They don’t entertain customers when the customers enters in, customers has 2call on to them to take orders, after taking orders the food arrives late bcz the attendants are bz walking up n down instead of serving food which are already ready to be served to customers. I will not recommend this restaurant to customers or tourists.

December 16th, 2012 at 6:32 pm

1. Straits Collection, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 15 2010 / 6pm:

[...] are plenty of hawker food and restaurants to visit around this part of George Town, such as Restaurant Kapitan and the Hainanese eatery Shing Kheang [...]

2. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 22 2012 / 8pm:

[...] Carnarvon Street] Rojak [Macallum Street Flat] Roti Canai with Beef and Meats [Transfer Road] Susu Badam (Almond Milk) Chulia Street Restoran Kapitan Susu Tarik Penang Road Line Clear Susu Tarik Air Itam Bus Station Tandoori and Naan [Kapitan Chulia [...]