Aug

Starview Restaurant, Penang

Posted by: CK Lam   in Chinese, George Town, Penang, Penang Restaurant

The months of August always calls for a special celebration among our friends and families. Our three families have been having dinner gatherings to catch up with each other and generally just having a really great time together.

Our dinner with both of the Chong and Ding families was held in Starview Restaurant in Burmah Road. You may find my previous lunch outing post about this place, while yesterday’s gathering is a whole new perspective. Before I go on any further about the food, I would really like to thank KS and her family for making this dinner happen and also happy to meet up with GT and her family.

Many Penangites would somehow or rather been to this restaurant, which has stood the test of time. Since its conception, it has seen many other restaurants rise and fall, but Starview remains Penang’s favorite after all these years.

We were given the privilege to dine in their VIP rooms, thanks to Lisa who organized everything to perfection for KS. After much catching up and interaction, the first delicacy of the night was served. It was the Four Season’s Dish and I have to admit that every quarter held its own pristine flavor.

P1080827P1080829P1080831P1080832

The four quarters combining into a perfect dish.

The selection of red wine on that night was just too sweet for words and it compliments  the cuisine very well. Unfortunately, I would not call myself a wine drinker and hence I ended up having only a glass for the whole night.

P1080823-1

That’s me hogging the wine glasses :D

Each of us was served with an individual bowl of shark fin soup.

P1080844

A fantastic fish dish prepared in two ways -  fish cutlets are sauteed with a medley of carrots, scallops, celery, waterchestnut and snowpeas. The remainder of the fish is deep fried till crisp.

P1080847

1-1

Next came the tofu pieces stuffed with fillings, which is fried till golden brown. This dish is garnished with chopped pieces of red and green chili peppers. Indeed a very appetizing dish with the finely chopped chili strongly enhancing the aroma of the tofu.

P1080853

Lastly, the fried noodles (mee-tiau) with prawns, chicken and mushroom slices. This noodle is not as refined as the ordinary ones, however it was equally superb. The QQ-ness of the noodle was such a tickle to the taste buds!

P1080862

For dessert we had soy bean milk with black sesame glutinous rice ball  (tang yuen). The accompanying tang yuen was smooth and goes pretty well with the milk. A perfect dessert to end this sumptuous meal!

P1080863P1080868

This is a snap shot of the mums as the dads were busy chatting away with each other. We have been good friends for such a long time, and I sincerely hope our friendships will be everlasting.

Our dinner feast ends with this spectacular photo depicting our three kids…oops, it should be our three ‘young’ men!

P1080873

It is definitely a beautiful evening when one is with the wonderful company of good friends and family.

**UPDATE**

This ever famous Starview Restaurant on Penang island will be shifting to the New World Park on 8th of October 2008. This came as a shock to me as Starview has grown to become one of Penang’s famous Landmarks & Restaurant.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, August 22nd, 2008 at 7:11 pm and is filed under Chinese, George Town, Penang, Penang Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

durianberry

I enjoy most dishes served at Starview Restaurant. I wonder if their price will increase after moving to New World. And yes I agree, their location along Burmah Rd is like a landmark already ;D

August 22nd, 2008 at 9:56 pm
neoh

hi, i like your blog very much. May i know the song that plays in your blog? It is very touching song.:)
Keep on the great job and looking forward to your future entries:)
Thanks and hav a nice day.

August 22nd, 2008 at 10:21 pm
Little Inbox

End of last year, my gang and I went for their “pung choy”. Very delicious!

August 22nd, 2008 at 11:14 pm
CK Lam

durianberry – The food at Starview has always been tasty and kept its standard. I will definitely visit their new outlet too.

little inbox – I have yet to try out their ‘pung choy’…nice recommendation :)

August 22nd, 2008 at 11:41 pm
Coketai

The last part of your entry have really shock me– Starview Restaurant relocate to New World Park!!

This place bring a lot of memory to me…it is the location, even the table and chair are part of my memory in Penang. I think a lof of Penangites will miss them….I mean the location…the chair and the table!!!

LY.Tai

August 23rd, 2008 at 12:41 am
CK Lam

coketai – All of us were shocked when we heard the news from Lisa…looks like most of us have sentimental value towards Starview which we have been patronizing all these years.

Heard that the new outlet will be more spacious and we will be able to enjoy dining in a more comfortable environment.

August 23rd, 2008 at 12:54 am
Tau Sar Phneah

have to agree with you…they certainly carved a name among the penangites..they served fantastic chinese dishes…i missed dining there too..i was surprised to hear that they’re moving down the road..but just few blocks away..hehe..

August 23rd, 2008 at 7:27 am
CK Lam

tau sar phneah – now that you know about its new location, you can still enjoy all those fantastic dishes on your next trip.

August 23rd, 2008 at 9:17 am
CK Lam

neoh – thanks for dropping by my blog…pls check, I have an email for you too.

August 23rd, 2008 at 9:19 am
Penang Tua Pui

aiyoyo… Fei Fei will be very happy with this new outlet… he always hang around new world park and will be a great place for him and us too….

Fei Fei always promote this place and we yet to have time to gather together to make a trip there..

may be will be good for us in coming gathering between us…

August 23rd, 2008 at 10:47 am
lingzie

oh they’re moving?? quite shocking news indeed! but i suppose a new premise would since the present one is getting rather run down.
my brother absolutely loves the ‘santan pai kut’ here.

and yes i agree with PenangTuaPui…we can go to the new outlet for another makan-makan! :)

August 23rd, 2008 at 11:02 am
CK Lam

PENANGTUAPUI & LINGZIE – I think it is a superb idea for us floggers to have a gathering at the new Starview restaurant when it opens :)

For now, I will mark this place for the 'next' gathering and will arrange the details with all of you when we meet up.

August 23rd, 2008 at 11:51 am
Anonymous

Wow,CK, Your description of the dishes and the Pics taken really make your blog fans want to run to Starview instantly~!
Friends till be grow old together~!
KS

August 23rd, 2008 at 3:58 pm
CK Lam

KS – The dishes were indeed delicious and yummy. Thanks again, my friend :)

August 23rd, 2008 at 5:05 pm
neoh

hi, sorry ya. Juzt wanna know how am i supposed to check for the email?As far as i remembered, i didn’t leave my email address:P
My email address is pfneoh@hotmail.com.

August 23rd, 2008 at 6:57 pm
JeromeFo???

1st time visit here….
AWesome your food blog!
Love all the reviews =)

August 23rd, 2008 at 10:15 pm
squall

all look delicious~~~
i wan try the rice ball…

August 24th, 2008 at 12:52 am
Fortesfidelis

I like starview a lot too as the food is always good and consistent. The steam boat is also good too. For Chinese New Year we come here for the yee sang as it’s probably one of the best in town.

August 24th, 2008 at 10:46 am
New Kid on the Blog

that’s a shocking news to me!! that place has so many sentimental memories to all of us. one of my close friend held her wedding there, and many many father’s days and mother’s days celebrations… birthdays dinner… blah blah….

August 24th, 2008 at 11:25 am
550ml jar of faith

It’s quite sad to hear they’re moving from their legendary premises! The quality has been so consistent here that we can only hope it carries thru at New World Park… not exactly a trove of great dining options, apart from the hawkers.

August 24th, 2008 at 2:59 pm
CK Lam

JeromeFo – yup, this is your 1st time visiting my blog since I change to this new template…glad you like it.

Squall – the tang yuen is indeed tasty…soft, chewy and the soy milk is not too sweet. Can always try it out in their new outlet in the future.

Fortesfidelis – don’t have to wait too long to eat the yee sang as CNY is just another few months away :)

New Kid on the Blog – this new outlet is bigger and there are more private rooms too.

550ml jar of taith – really hope they will continue serving tasty and delicious food even in the new premises!

August 24th, 2008 at 11:46 pm
Duckie

wow i didn’t know that!!! I love to eat there!!!

August 25th, 2008 at 8:57 am
buzzingbee

Nice pics!!

Really didn’t hear any news that they are moving. Thanks for the info.
I guess New World Park can offer more space for the restaurant and also more parking spots for diners.

August 25th, 2008 at 2:33 pm
CK Lam

Duckie – Do note that the restaurant will close for business on the start of the ‘vegetarian’ festival…

buzzingbee – The spacious new outlet is definitely more convenient for diners as compare to the existing one :)

August 25th, 2008 at 3:30 pm
cariso

I saw a familiar face in the 2nd last pic. She’s high school teacher right?

September 1st, 2008 at 7:56 pm
CK Lam

Cariso – my friend was a high school teacher and has since retired.

September 1st, 2008 at 8:06 pm
Lay Eng

The food look very nice..is private room available?

November 5th, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Lay Eng – As you know from my blog, the restaurant has since shifted to New World Park, and they do have private rooms too.
Do give them a call for reservations or enquiries… at 04 2265213

November 5th, 2008 at 6:46 pm
SW Tan

recommend you some good place to explore for good food in Butterworth; like Char kuey teow, sar hor fang, dried kuey teow, chicken rice and etc. will prepare a map for you if you interested to try

April 1st, 2009 at 11:31 am

One Trackback/Ping

1. Chinese New Year @New World Park | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jan 22 2009 / 12am:

[...] first food outlet to start off with is the legendary Chinese restaurant, Starview. A great place to have the CNY dinners and also entertaining friends. Every dining trip here brings [...]