A few bloggers and myself  had a late breakfast of dim sum on a Sunday at the invitation of Criz Lai  at Fun Tea Garden. The group of us met up at the shop which is located opposite Pizza Hut, Prangin Mall. The huge varieties of dim sum and the presence of everyone makes this a joyful gathering. It was really nice meeting all of them. Many thanks to Criz for arranging it!

Since I had such a late breakfast, I skip lunch and ended having some hawker food with my hubby around teatime. We went to patronized the stalls opposite Traders Hotel (formerly Shangri-La Hotel) in Magazine Road, Penang which offers delicious and cheap Penang food. The stalls are neatly line up on this lane beside Kimnovak which specializes in school uniform and accessories! I use to patronized the shop for my son’s uniforms, but have missed out on the eateries then.

There was a Curry Mee stall and to my delight, they do serve Curry Chee Cheong Fun (CCF) as well!  From the mint leaves to the cubes of coagulated pig’s blood, cuttlefish, taufoo bok and cockles, it was goodness CCF all the way. This version is totally different from the Chicken CCF in Cintra Street.

P1100886

P1100891

Besides CCF, we had some fried beehoon. Every strand of beehoon is coated with black soy sauce and fried to taste. I like the beehoon which is quite spongy and QQ. Hubby had a second helping of this delicious noodle.

P1100888

Sourish chili sauce complemented this dish of prawn fritters and lobak. Yummy!

P1100896

P1100898

That’s not all! This meal was sweetened off with two bowls of red bean soup. Every single bean is soft and tender.

P1100899

All the food sold in this lane is relatively tasty with cheap and economical prices. Many people were seen bringing their own food canister to tah pau these yummy food.

P1100885P1100887

P1100897P1100900

There are some ready cooked soup noodles (I am not sure of the name) plus other variations of  fried items, each with its own special taste. Do try it all.

P1100911P1100909

P1100913

View Larger Map

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, October 17th, 2008 at 11:15 pm and is filed under Chee Cheong Fun, Dessert, Drinks, George Town, Hawker, Penang, Street Food, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

The curry chee cheong fun looks really nice…

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..A Tong Sui of Lotus Tea……….

October 17th, 2008 at 11:50 pm

im craving for these food now….im nt sure whether the hokkien mee stall still operates or not…it starts its business at night…and there no table sitting…you have to stand…and it only operates a few nights in a week…one of the best hokkien mee in the island…old style.. :)

TauSarPhneah´s last blog post..Alton Towers

October 17th, 2008 at 11:51 pm

I can’t agree with that version of curry CCF. Doesn’t taste good to me. But I would like to try out the fried beehon.

allie´s last blog post..Chicken porridge @ Cintra Street

October 18th, 2008 at 12:10 am

good finding and great with map on ur site…

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Food: Laksa on Trishaw – Cintra Street

October 18th, 2008 at 12:49 am

Sweet Jasmine – It taste good too…you should give it a try.

TauSarPhneah – The hokkien mee is still around, and is crowded at times but I have not eaten before. I be going for it soon…haha

Allie – I quite like the CCF :)

October 18th, 2008 at 1:18 am

Penang Tua Pui – The place does have good and cheap food. This is my first post with a google map…spending quite some time on it before getting it out -.-’

October 18th, 2008 at 1:22 am

Curry ccf is so tempting :) Looks like the Pg version is ccf in curry mee base!

durianberry´s last blog post..2nd Penang Flogger Gathering

October 18th, 2008 at 5:55 am

CCF really looks nice!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Neww BT Food Court

October 18th, 2008 at 9:31 am

Wah, everytime I read your blog, makes me feeling so so hungry and makes me really home sick! the hawkers at Magazine road…so near my grandma’s house… makes me reminisce my childhood times, where i always eat out over there!

October 18th, 2008 at 10:11 am

d e s´s last blog post..Bah Kut Teh @ Klang

October 18th, 2008 at 10:12 am

Durianberry & Duckie – The ccf with curry mee base is quite acceptable…nice change once in a while :)

Des – Most people staying around town area knows this place quite well and also those buying their uniforms from Kimmovak year after year. This type of simple food is everyones favourite…

October 18th, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Wah pictures quality improve a lot ….. keep up the good work ……. and it made the lobak looks so tasty!

October 18th, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Something new to me, this is the first time that I come across curry ccf with mint leaves, must give it a try next time I drop by Penang.

October 18th, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Email2me – The lobak taste good too…with big pieces of meat.

Joan – I love my curry mee and ccf with mint leaves…it kinds of enhances the taste.

October 19th, 2008 at 10:30 am

I think this is the one Gill recommended for the peanut soup. Do you try out? I knew about the Curry Chee Cheong Fun. My dad used to have that last time.

allenooi´s last blog post..Yaw’s Roast & Grill

October 19th, 2008 at 1:37 pm

I think we have that in common. I used to bring my own mint leaves to enjoy my curry noodles in K.L. as they don’t serve with it as we have in Ipoh. Ha ! Ha!

October 19th, 2008 at 2:53 pm
soo sean

I accidently pumped into it one of the day. Glad that you blogged it with a map, so that more people will know about this little place.
Not something fancy, but it’s real local food.

October 19th, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Allenooi – I didn’t try the peanut soup…will order that on the next visit.

Joan – You are great…taking your own mint leaves with you…I salute you…haha.

Soo Sean – The food does taste good but some might find parking a bit inconvenient.

October 19th, 2008 at 7:01 pm

behind Trader’s Hotel? never knew bout this row of street hawkers.

the CCF looks oily though. but gimme Lor Bak anyday! It’s soooo hard to find one in Ipoh, you know?

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Hong Kong/Macau 2008 – Tsim Chai Kee Noodle, Tai Cheong Bakery’s Egg Tarts & Lan Kwai Fong

October 19th, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Let me walk over to get some now… haha. That place is a great place to have C&G (cheap & good) food :P Aww.. I missed the hokkien mee there now…

Criz Lai´s last blog post..REVIEW – CREPE COTTAGE

October 19th, 2008 at 8:35 pm

this place is famous of their red bean tong shui. and wanton mee too.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Golden Triangle Indo Chine Restaurant & Sensation

October 20th, 2008 at 11:30 am

This is truely hawker food which brings back huge memories during my chilhood time . . . something you can’t see in KL or even in Ipoh!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..

October 20th, 2008 at 12:28 pm

:( miss out me on the dimsum meet up. haha

I used to go Kimnovak (ages ago) to buy uniforms too. Never tried out the food there though.

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Korean Food and Cultural Festival 2008

October 20th, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Now everyone talk about fun tea restaurant will remember criz lai. I think the boss sure very happy 1. So far I had tried the bak chang at Cintra Street but not Curry CCF, that looks nice leh

Steven Goh´s last blog post..Great Place to Chill Out @ Crepe Cottage, Gurney Penang

October 20th, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Oh my, the ang tau th’ng looks great…I can imagine what you feel when you write the post and look at the pic too….:D

Christy´s last blog post..Fishballs at New World Park

October 20th, 2008 at 8:12 pm

J2kfm – These hawker stalls were here for a number of years already. The lobak is tasty and uses mostly lean meat.

Criz – I have yet to try the hokkien mee…will try it out since you missed it so much…haha

New Kid on the Blog – Will look out for the wanton mee that you mentioned…I didn’t see it that day.

Big Boys Oven – Most of us would have eaten this type of food and its definitely one that most of us still enjoy eating now.

October 20th, 2008 at 10:49 pm

Buzzingbee – No worries, as there are many more gatherings along the way…will let you know about it :)

Steven Goh – This ccf is more watery (as in curry mee) and different from the ones in Cintra Street which is thick curry chicken.

Christy – All the beans of the ang tau th’ng is soft and this makes the soup tastier.

October 20th, 2008 at 10:58 pm

i wan prawn fritters and lobak~~Looks so nice..drooling now~~~

October 21st, 2008 at 12:10 am

I’ve never food hunting there before. Well, one question, how do you manage to control your weight so well, huh? Jealous.

little inbox´s last blog post..Simple Steamed Egg Tofu

October 21st, 2008 at 11:35 am

Wow…the curry CCF looks so mouth-watering! Penang is indeed a hawkers paradise! Whenever I’m there, it’s always too-little-time-too-much-food!

Pureglutton´s last blog post..Sicillian Cheesecake

October 21st, 2008 at 11:44 am

Shell – The lobak is good and tasty… the prawn fritters are quite normal.

Little Inbox – Do try out the food… nice and cheap…can ta pau if can’t find a parking space.
Photos can be deceiving at times… wait till you see me in person, not that thin…haha. Hope to see you in the future gatherings!

October 21st, 2008 at 11:44 am

wah….so many comments in CK blog nowadays… :)

Yea Allen, this is the place that i recommended, you can try to dip the prawn fritter into the Peanut Soup…see how it taste? haha…

That big bowl of noodle in with starch is call “Mee Suah Kng”. for me is so so only

If i’m not wrong, their Fritters and loh bak is suppliying by the weld quey stall that i posted in my blog.

gill gill´s last blog post..Bulgarian Meal at Jalan Sungai Kelian, Penang.

October 22nd, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Gillgill – Nice of you to share the source for the lobak and prawn fritters :)
I did not try the mee suah kng as it looks a bit soggy…

October 23rd, 2008 at 1:47 pm

hi sis ck ^^ thanks 4 sharin tis great n yummy curry mee CCF.now only know penang still have so many places full of yummy food

fly´s last blog post..??????? colourfull net bread

November 5th, 2008 at 11:45 am

Fly – You are most welcome…good food is for sharing with everyone.

November 6th, 2008 at 11:01 am
Penang Tionghua

Curry mee at the Nite Hawker Centre, Jalan Binjai, Taman Seri Rambai, Bukit Mertajam is excellent.

Similar to the one operating many years ago at the corner coffee shop of Macalister Road and Perak Road.

Try it out!

December 24th, 2008 at 9:57 pm
HenRy Seow

That delicious soup noodles name is ” Che Mee”

??????°??
???????°?°
?????????°
????? ~??
?????????°
???????? ?°?
? \?|?/??/????

April 3rd, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Penang Tionghua & Hengry Seow – Thanks for the information :)

April 3rd, 2009 at 6:28 pm