Last Sunday, we went over to Butterworth to try out the seafood at Ong Cheng Huat Seafood Restaurant. Not knowing the exact location, I went to search for it in the Google map. With the helpful directions and the map in hand, we drove over to Bagan Lallang.

The place was crowded as it was lunch hour. We were introduced to their fermented coconut water, known by the locals as Tuak.  It is a popular drink in this restaurant. A one liter bottle cost RM5. It tasted a bit sourish sweet and has a gassy feeling. Recommended to try out this unusual drink.

p1130834.jpg

Stir fried mussels – RM11. The mussels were stir fried with shredded ginger, garlic and chili padi. I like the gravy of this dish which is flavoured with the natural juices from the fresh mussels. It’s delicious to the last drop. It is also surprising to see nearly all the flesh intact to the shell unlike some places having more shells than flesh.

p1130871.jpg

p1130874.jpg

Steam fish – RM26 has almost the same ingredients as the stir fried mussels but on the contrary, the taste of the gravy was totally different. Each of us had a thick piece of fish .

p1130861.jpg

p1130869.jpg

This deep fried prawn fritters (heh piah) is a thin layer of popiah with prawns. The crunchy heh piah would make a good starter before the meal.

p1130854.jpg

Deep fried baby chicks – three chicks for RM14.40. The chicks were marinated thoroughly as the sauce  and ingredients were infused into the meat which are equally tender and juicy. A highly recommended dish…its finger licking good!

p1130844.jpg

p1130848.jpg

Indeed a satisfying lunch for the three of us. It is worth the journey travelling all the way here from the island. Be prepare to sweat it out on a very hot afternoon as the place is nothing fancy, just a zine wooden house with a kampung feeling.

Directions : After the Penang Bridge, head to Sungai Petani highway and only exit at the Sungai Dua exit. Go on to the  Butterworth Outer Ring Road until you  see the exit for Bagan Ajam. On exit, turn left towards Bagan Ajam. You will reach a traffic light junction. Take the left turn towards Mak Mandin. Look out for the Ong Cheng Huat sign board on the right hand side. Turn into the narrow road which will lead to the restaurant. Click here for the Map Location.

Ong Cheng Huat Seafood
2004 Bagan Lallang
13400 Butterworth
Penang

Tel : 04 3314782

Business hours : 11am – 5.30pm
Non-Halal

Other Review : Kimz Lil Playground

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 at 10:04 am and is filed under Chinese, Penang Mainland, Penang Restaurant, Seafood. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

I like to eat the baby chicks here.. The steam fish and mussel also equally good. Yummy…

Allie´s last blog post..Invited Review: Dragon-i @ Queensbay Mall

December 23rd, 2008 at 10:44 am

fermented coconut water, something new to me also…don’t know whether the function is like enzyme drinks..coz also fermented?!

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..My birthday

December 23rd, 2008 at 11:16 am
ntan

I would say the exact locations for those yummy food in Butterworth are quite out of the town like Ong Cheng Huat Seafood. Have been to this place before and find it too far away although agree with you the food is yummyyum …. there are a few places serving good thai food along Pantai Berseh too….the night view over looking Penang island is romantic while you dine!!….check it out.
we are lucky most of the time my family took us out for yummy food when we are back for holiday.

December 23rd, 2008 at 12:41 pm

The mussels’ shells are so pretty… :)

Selba´s last blog post..Jajanan Pasar Singkong

December 23rd, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Allie – You can revisit this place again.

Simple Girl – I am not too sure…but do try out the taste.

Ntan – Nice of you introducing the Thai food to me. Do update me on your other nice food outing too.

Selba – It is…but I am sure you have nicer ones over in your country.

December 23rd, 2008 at 1:51 pm

isn’t the tuak rather alcoholish?

anyways, merry christmas to you!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Curry Fish Head, McAlistair Road

December 23rd, 2008 at 2:41 pm

I know this place liao …. this is located in Sungai Dua province right ? That come with a big Guiness Stout Sign board.

It’s been ages since I went there. Will visit them the next round I go back Pg for food trips again. :D

email2me´s last blog post..Recipe & Baking Guide for Dundee Fruit Cake

December 23rd, 2008 at 2:56 pm

CK, you should have invite me to go with you. lol I know the location and like the foods very much. I did blog about it under the name Ching Huat Seafood. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Food hunt at Sungai Bakap, Jawi

December 23rd, 2008 at 2:57 pm
sptay

Tuak is not so strange a drink for most of us who grew up in Pg in the 60′s & 70′s……There were many Government run tuak or in Tamil “toddy” shops in Pg.

I can remember at least three of them in Georgetown… one in Cantonment Road, Pulau Tikus, necxt to the Post Office (sells the best dried curry crabs called “nandeh” in Tamil) and the 2nd one along Ayer Itam Road just next to the river just before the junction to Reservoir Gdn and the 3rd obe along Kedah Road off Transfer Road in the heart of town….

December 23rd, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Duckie – It is, but not too sure about how many percent. My face did turn a bit red…haha

Email2me – We go sama-sama and makan again :)

Food Paradise – In that case, I call you to come along if I go further out of the island for food hunting…its nice to have friends going together.

Sptay – Thanks for your info. All of them are mostly sold in the toddy shops whereas this drink is sold in the Chinese Restaurant which I think is slightly unusual.

December 23rd, 2008 at 5:08 pm

i try tuak b4,some around permatang pauh there…feels hungry everytime i view ya page^^

Juann´s last blog post..is MoneyGram in Cape town ?

December 23rd, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Wow a feast!

Singapore Short Stories´s last blog post..Top 10 Singapore Searches for Year 2008

December 23rd, 2008 at 10:09 pm

eh isnt tuak some sort of alcoholic drink? or am i confusing it with something else? heehee

anyways…merry christmas CK! where you going to eat tonite? im going to the bulgarian restaurant :P

December 24th, 2008 at 11:25 am

Juann – I hope to get a better camera to capture clearer and sharper pic to share with all of you.

Singapore Short Stories – Those are their few specialized dishes…still plenty more to try out.

Lingzie – It is a alcoholic drink…my face was a bit red after I took a glass of it.

Merry Christmas to you and family. Hope you enjoy yourself tonite. Most probably, I’ll be at Rasa Sayang.

December 24th, 2008 at 2:19 pm

My sis goes there quite frequent. She never miss the Tuak.

CK, wishing you and your family Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

little inbox´s last blog post..X’mas present from Foodbuzz ~

December 24th, 2008 at 4:39 pm
Penang Tionghua

Sptay is right. Tuak is toddy. To add to his list, there is one Kedai Tuak at Lebuh Macallum (goh tiau lor).

It is said that a cup of toddy could help in daily motion and prevent constipation.

Toddy is an intoxicating drink. Most habitual drinkers also consume samsu.

Toddy selling is regulated by the local government. Therefore, shop selling toddy must have a licence.

December 24th, 2008 at 5:31 pm
Penang Tionghua

Chinese cakes – Ham Chim Peng and Beh Hua Ch-ee need toddy to boost, ferment and make crispy.

December 24th, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Ai ya, am just a day early than you, and now you’ve posted already. :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Mama Mia – here I come!!!!!

December 24th, 2008 at 5:50 pm

this is a nice place to be I remember that I was there a few years back when I was working in “hell” and I bought my counter parts from US there and we ordered 1 liter of Tuak and drink until face red like monkey and we don’t dare to go back to office.

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Take The Money Yourself @ Mayang Pasir Chicken Rice Stall

December 24th, 2008 at 7:29 pm

What a fruitful trip! I personally don’t dare to drink tuak as I can get drunk easily. Hehehe! Wishing you and your family a Happy Holiday Season!

lk´s last blog post..Millet porridge

December 25th, 2008 at 12:32 am

Little Inbox – Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you too.

Penang Tionghua – Wow…never knew toddy is such an important ingredient.

New Kid On The Blog – Did you eat the same dishes as I did?

Steven Goh – Lucky for me, I just drank a bit and my face was just slightly red :)

December 25th, 2008 at 12:39 am

oh myyyy, I love toddy drinks LOL. Heard the ones from mainland the best compared to Penang and I fully agreed! It’s so fizzy and sweet compared to the sour ones! One of my friends frequently bought toddy from Pulau Tikus said it’s better there than from Macallum St. I tasted the Macallum St before and it’s not as nice. Anyone has recipe for toddy?? :-D

pixen´s last blog post..Curry Chicken in Kaffir Lime Leaves

December 25th, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Hi Sis, just drop by to wish you a happy New Year, more eating and more fantastic reviews! . . . from us, Sunny & Sidney

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..

December 26th, 2008 at 11:09 am

i come here to see to look and to drool….

and I am very very hungry now….

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Special | 2008 Christmas & New Year Promotions

December 26th, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Pixen – I have not try any from Penang island, therefore I cannot compare it to this one…
Anyone who has the recipe is most welcome to share it with my dear friend here.

Big Boys Oven – Thank you bros, CK wishes both of you a Happy & Prosperous New Year 2009.

Penangtuapui – Next round, we go and makan.

December 26th, 2008 at 5:03 pm

lk – Do visit this place to try out the food even though you don’t dare to drink the tuak…delicious food.

December 26th, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Hey, how come you didn’t order the whole fish but fish slices instead? out of stock or what? I tried before the tuak and vomitted the next day. Ha!

cariso´s last blog post..Xmas Makan Festival

December 26th, 2008 at 7:30 pm
Damien

The deep fried tofu and deep fried ice-cream another must try here :)

Some pixs i took while in Penang last year:

January 5th, 2009 at 3:04 pm
Damien

*If got chance must bring ieat and his gang there when you meet up in Feb :)

Happy New Year!

January 5th, 2009 at 3:05 pm
ynf

Hi!
Are you sure your location given is correct?

Thanks and regards.

February 5th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Cariso – The owner recommended it, so I just follow him. The tuak is good…sorry to know you can’t take it.

Damien – I told them about this place, but time is quite limited…hopefully they get to taste the food in another Penang trip.
I am sure of visiting it again for your recommended fried tofu/ice-cream.

ynf – I think I had it right, but if there is any pointers that I have left out or written wrongly,please do correct me. I might miss out something along the way. Thanks for dropping in my blog :)

February 6th, 2009 at 10:11 am
ynf

ck – from your direction description, is near by Mak Mandin, but the pointer pointing far away from Mak Mandin.

February 6th, 2009 at 11:08 am

ynf – Thank you very much for your info. I have already corrected it. Its a bit careless of me and plus the fact that I am an islander and not 100% sure of the places in the mainland.
This shows that I must venture more of the makan places in Seberang Prai :)
It would be nice if you could recommend more places to me.

February 6th, 2009 at 11:23 am
ynf

ck – I not from Penang. Still wandering your pointer correct or not (sorry to say that).
For seafood places, beside Tambun/Batu Kawan, Jalan Pasir Bersih, Bagan Ajam is another seafood paradise.

February 7th, 2009 at 9:18 am
ynf

ck- please check this Wikimapia site,
which one is correct?

February 10th, 2009 at 2:02 pm
Bris77

This is the best place for baby chick.. doubt cud get any in Pg Island. Great photography skill = Great pic = *drooling*.. Love the fresh huge fish slice too..
CK, you must try the assam prawn and wild boar.. nice too :)

April 2nd, 2009 at 1:29 pm

ynf – Thanks for introducing those makan places.

Bris77 – Will add those dishes in my makan list…thanks.

April 2nd, 2009 at 2:42 pm
Iseka Samantha Szeto

Once I remember when i was a kid, staying at Hutton Lane, there are a 3 wheel stall comes in the afternoon selling tong tong fun (vermicelli noodle with fishball (meat inside) few slice of yu cha kuei, tong choy. This man alway ring his bell when he comes. Now hardly find this noodle. Where can i get this

June 1st, 2009 at 2:13 pm
ynf

Please refer to penangtuapui GPS coordinates.

August 6th, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Iseka Samantha Szeto – There used to have one beside Swatow Lane. Since the hawkers have shifted inside New World Park, this stall is no longer seen around.

ynf – Thanks for sharing the info.

August 6th, 2009 at 3:04 pm
jalancarimakan

we travelled from Kuantan to Penang last weekend. Had breakfast in Ipoh and lunch in this restaurant. We relied on GPS and also asked the locals because the junction to the restaurant was a bit difficult to find unless you really looked for the signboard. I agreed with most of the comments. It was good and reasonable……not too pricey as compared to other restaurant which I had tried…..such as Hau You in Telok Kumbar. Must try the local tuak….for the experience. The fish was my best dish for the day.

May 10th, 2010 at 6:14 pm
Food Lover

We tried it today, but quite disappointed wth the food, not that great. We only like the lala and octopus.

May 13th, 2011 at 11:28 pm

1. Malaysian Kueh - Penang Nyonya Kuih | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 22 2009 / 4pm:

[...] This steamed rice cake is very fluffy and has the original smell from the ‘tuak’ (alcohol beverage from the sap of coconut [...]

2. Fresh & Delicious Seafood at Ocean Green Seafood Restaurant, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Mar 23 2010 / 10pm:

[...] Their classic Deep Fried Baby Chicken is always satisfying. The chicks are marinated with their own twist of ingredients, tasted significantly different from those that I had in Ong Cheng Huat Seafood. [...]

3. Penang 24-hour Food Tour Guide | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 24 2012 / 10am:

[...] 2004 Bagan Lallang, Butterworth (+604 331 4782) Open Tue-Sun, 11am-5.30pm Take a drive over to Ong Cheng Huat located on the mainland. Signature dishes include deepfried baby chicks, deep fried prawn fritters, [...]