Penang holds the treasure of wonderful hawker food, and this post is no exception. Hidden in the folds on Georgetown is a stall in Chulia Street selling the best deep fried snacks. This place, managed by a man with his two helpers, offer excellent fried goodies that are commonly available in dim sum shops. According to him, he has been selling this snack for almost twenty-eight years, with no sign of slowing down! I am going to highlight a few of my favourite items among the different varieties sold in this stall.

img_0595.jpg

A shot of all the goodies, just out of the frying pan.

img_0592.jpg

From RM0.90 to a ringgit (RM1) for such good stuff!

First and foremost, the rectangular roti! A real delight to the tastebuds, a must try!

img_0565.jpg

The ingredients are added onto a flat piece of dough…

img_0566.jpg

img_0444.jpg

img_0452.jpg

In it goes into the hot kuali …

img_0558.jpg

After all said and done, the delicious hot roti is ready…

The next one is my favourite, peanut filled deep fried bomb. Each round ball is delicately filled with crushed peanut, and the long ones with red bean paste.

img_0587.jpg

Filling it with crushed peanuts…

img_0448.jpg

img_0466.jpg

The ball is given a good roll in sesame seeds…

img_0464.jpg

A solitary bomb, awaiting its fate before getting fried…!

img_0560.jpg

Yummy! the deep fried snacks with peanut and red bean fillings.

This is the savoury “woo kok”. A flatten piece of yam dough (taro) is filled up with lots of meat filling (charsiew) marinated in their secret recipe sauce.

img_0492.jpg

img_0578.jpg

Filling the yam dough with charsiew…

img_0579.jpg

img_0580.jpg

Delicate fingers at work wrapping it all up…

img_0455.jpg

Good old “woo kok” is ready!

Beside the above items they also have the deep fried Lo Pak Ko. Check out this stall located in Chulia Street along the same stretch of hawker stalls selling wantan mee and curry mee. Click here for the Map Location.

Business Hours : 8pm – 11.30pm
Closed : Monday & Tuesday
GPS Coordinates : N 05*25’5.66″
E 100*20’11.36″

Other food outlets along Chulia Street :
Ecco Cafe
Rainforest Bakery
Restaurant Kapitan

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, January 5th, 2009 at 11:30 am and is filed under Dessert, George Town, Hawker, Penang, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

The ‘bomb’ is called chin toi. If it is your favourite, then you might want to try the one at Kuantan Road in the evening. Next to it is a Economy Bee Hoon stall which is not bad either.

Jason Wong´s last blog post..2009 New Year Eve Dinner at Michael & Lee Mee’s

January 5th, 2009 at 2:17 pm

every morsel is a bite of deliciousness! best with a cup of hot coffee or tea!

happy new year!

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..Tell-A-Tale (Part 24): Chapter MMVIII

January 5th, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Interesting to see how to make those fried stuff :)

Selba´s last blog post..Ta Wan (2)

January 5th, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Jason Wong – Will soon try out your recommended chin toi in Kuantan road.

Nic (KHKL) – My combination is with kopi-o :)

Selba – Glad you like it.

January 5th, 2009 at 4:38 pm

These snacks are so tempting. Love the woo kok.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..A Taste of Thai in Prontip………

January 5th, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Wah, pictorial for how to make woo kok, nice. I gain my knowledge too. :)

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Dinner @ Wai Sek Kai, Chai Leng Park

January 5th, 2009 at 6:47 pm

These are favourites for breakfast. The sandwich must be quite unusual and looks good without deepfrying.

JENCOOKS´s last blog post..MANGOSTEEN JUICE ANYONE?

January 5th, 2009 at 9:02 pm

haha i used to call chin toi sugar bomb!!! i tend to give my own name when i dont know the real name!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Restoran Sri Nirvana Maju,

January 5th, 2009 at 9:42 pm

wow soo go zha bi ah !!
make on the spot cool ah..
i aways like peepin ppl making food..haha

fayefly´s last blog post..new year fly’s laksa

January 5th, 2009 at 10:02 pm

the 1st two kuih look nice. special, even.

but the woo kok was rather, lacklustre.
how’s the taste?

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Seremban & Melaka – Of Missed Chances, And Everything Porky …

January 5th, 2009 at 11:02 pm

chai leng park used to have one good chin toi too… can’t remember where they move to.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Christmas’ Gift from Westin KL

January 6th, 2009 at 7:44 am

Hi, introduced by my friend LK to your blog. This is amazing and you blog is fantastic… a lot of info and nice food here!

Alice´s last blog post..Delightful Trifle

January 6th, 2009 at 9:20 am

Sweet Jamine – Do try it out but remember don’t go on Mon & Tues (closing day).

Little Inbox – That’s the best pic that I can get as their hands are constantly moving.

Jencooks – This is the first time I came across this rectangular sandwich…not too sure about the name. Hope the readers can help out with this.

Duckie – That’s quite a name…haha

Fayefly – I stand there for quite a while watching them preparing it step by step…indeed interesting.

J2kfm – To me, the taste of the woo kok is just normal unlike the other two.

New Kid on the Blog – Nowadays we see less and less of this type of snacks.

Alice – Thanks to LK for the intro. Nice of you for dropping by and for giving me the opportunity to know you.

January 6th, 2009 at 10:51 am

Oooh I LOVE these fried delicacies! But they’re very heaty and oily :P Never tried the roti before though… giving myself an excuse to go eat! :)

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Night and indoor scenes at The Curve

January 6th, 2009 at 11:57 am

wow you documented the whole process! kudos to you :D

January 6th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

i tried not to eat so many fried food nowadays. need to control.

allenooi´s last blog post..Pepper Lunch @ Singapore IMM Shopping Centre

January 6th, 2009 at 1:27 pm

this is something I would like to have every nite for my sweet tooth supper! So in!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..

January 6th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

A sight to behold! Fresh off the wok. My fav is the ‘chin tuai’ sesame seeds coated glutinous rice stuffed with peanut and sugar balls!!!

Chin´s last blog post..Holiday Is Over – There Will Always Be Another One

January 6th, 2009 at 6:49 pm
Kaya MeeKoo

Oh yums, I’ve tried it before and I simply love the peanut balls. I mean, this stall was really generous with the peanut stuffing!

The “rectangular roti” was the opposite though..felt that there could have been slightly more stuffing. But it was still tasty.

The deep fried carrot cake was not too bad either. The dried shrimp fragrance was there :-) .

January 6th, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I am the witch – The rectangular roti is something new to me too…do try it.

Vkeong – Its very interesting seeing them preparing it on the spot.

Allen Ooi – Can bookmark this place first.

Big Boys Oven – Its nice especially when its hot, just out of the frying wok.

Chin – We share the same interest for the chin toi…haha

KayaMeeKoo – This stall has the most filling for the peanut ball…others often give a small lump. Will try your recommended carrot cake.

January 7th, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I think i ate this before..very ho ciak..and I like the photos of `making process` u took, step by step..hehehe..

Ah Shui´s last blog post..Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in Japan

January 8th, 2009 at 7:29 pm

wah your illustration makes the food look even nicer!!! great job there

desmond-t´s last blog post..A Bad Time To Graduate

January 8th, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Ah Shui – Its interesting watching them working their way so fast in making the snack. Took a lot of photos but not many came out nice as they were moving so fast.

Desmond-t – Glad you like it. Luckily manage to snap this few clear ones to share with all of you.

January 8th, 2009 at 10:01 pm

What is the ingredient used for the rectangular roti? Looks interesting. Your photography skill rocks! I must learn from you lah. Hehehe!

January 9th, 2009 at 8:45 am

Wa..I like these simple local delicacy !
Thanks for sharing this info.
Cheers,
Elin

Elin´s last blog post..Chinese Arrowroot Chips aka Nga Ku Chips

January 9th, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Aiks! Looks familiar. Is this the one where we had wan tan mee the other day? The one busy frying the bomb behind my back?

email2me´s last blog post..Pitt Street Koey Teow Th’ng at Hai Oan Kopitiam [Hai Onn Kopitiam], Burma Road

January 10th, 2009 at 12:30 am

lk – I have a lot to learn using this new camera…not easy. Anyway, the filling for this rectangular roti is a bit similar to those of the woo kok.

Elin – Thanks for dropping in :)

Email2me – That’s the place we had our snack after the dinner outing. I also took pic of the wan tan mee but quite blur. Will go and try again.

January 10th, 2009 at 10:58 am

haha first time see ppl fry roti from scratch. My favourite is still Lo Bak Kou at the foot of Penang Hill.

Jian´s last blog post..Penang Lorong Seratus Tahun Curry Mee

January 11th, 2009 at 4:40 am

Jian – Nice of you to introduce the stall. Will make a visit there.

January 11th, 2009 at 8:44 pm
WhiteWater

the square roti is called Roti Babi.
From what I know, the Chulia Street stall is one of the last stalls selling this.
OMG…i’ve been missing this delicacy for sometime. most probably will drop by Chulia Street again when I’m back for CNY.

January 14th, 2009 at 8:55 pm

WhiteWater – Its nice of you to share with us the name of the snack…thanks :)

January 19th, 2009 at 11:49 pm
cherriebaby

I used to live near Chulia Street for more than 30 years.. I loves the “woo kok” so much..
Beside these, I likes Curry Mee, Wan Tan Mee (mother, son and daughter business) and Crispy Apom (old couple stall at opposite side). All of these was our family supper.. never missed them out when we tapao and brought back eat at home.. hehe..

February 27th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 12pm:

[...] Chulia Street Kuih Location: Chulia Street. Business Hour: 8pm – 11.30pm Closed On: Monday & Tuesday Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/01/penang-hawker-food-snacks-chulia-street/ [...]

2. Chulia Street Hawker Food | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 17 2011 / 11am:

[...] There many different varieties,  round balls filled with crushed peanut, and the long ones with red bean paste. Savoury items of lo pak ko and wu kok (yam dumpling) stuffed with char xiu (barbecue pork) is also available. The process of making the snacks can be view here. [...]

3. Chulia Street Hawker Food | Broadcast.my    Jun 17 2011 / 12pm: