***Updated on November 2014 – Ah Leng Char Koay Teow has  shifted opposite the road to Tong Hooi Coffee Shop on Dato Kramat Road, Penang

The Singaporean food hunters of the Canon Singapore Photography & Food Trip in Penang had the craving for the island’s best Char Koay Teow and went all out to try it! The first stop for the day was at the famed Ah Leng Char Koay Teow. This famous stall is located in Kafe Khoon Hiang, with its frontage facing Dato Kramat road and its side to Dunlop Road.

img_3721.jpg

Prices at the stall ranges from the regular plate that goes for RM5, to this special plate (shown below) with big prawns, mantis prawns, cockles and duck egg, priced at RM9.50! The char koay teow was very well done, with the ingredients complimenting the noodles perfectly.

img_3743.jpg

Interesting flavors and the satisfaction feeling with every mouthful

Char Koay Teow with large prawns are relatively commonly found in many places, however this is only place that I have come across that has mantis prawns too. Indeed a very good addition, the sweet taste of both prawns combines well and is the main attraction to the plate of Char Koay Teow.

img_3726.jpg

The mixture of soy sauce and a bit of oyster sauce balanced perfectly, giving the noodles a very pungent taste. Ah Leng also made it a point to throw in plenty of ku chai, which unfortunately many other stalls have already omitted. Furthermore, the cockles was done just right…still a bit juicy and not overcooked.

img_3734.jpg

img_3738.jpg

So, what is our Singaporean friends’ verdict of this CKT? Ah Leng version of Penang Char Koay Teow has the two thumbs up from our Singapore friends; they were pretty happy with the find.

Quoting Dr Leslie Tay:

...This is the best plate of Char Kway Teow I have ever eaten. The Kway Teow had completely absorbed the flavour of the Sea Prawns and Mantis Shrimp so that every mouthful was like eating super umami Keropok flavoured Kway Teow.

Ah Leng Char Koay Teow
Kafe Khoon Hiang
Jalan Dato Kramat/Jalan Dunlop (facing Honolulu Club)
Penang

Closed on Thursday
Business Hours : 8am – 2pm
GPS Coordinates:  N5  24′ 46.4″  E100  19′ 09.9″

**************

The next Char Koay Teow stop was at Kafe Heng Huat in Lorong Selamat. The lady owner can be recognized easily as she wears a huge goggle. She has recently shifted to this new coffee shop of her own, from its old premises which is a few doors down the road.

img_3227.jpg

img_3229.jpg

The aunty deep in concentration; preparing all our orders.

img_3233.jpg

The egg goes in, completing the frying process!

The plate of char koay teow completed with large prawns and cockles is priced at RM9.00. Just look at the shot below; doesn’t it look delicious?

img_3235.jpg

Everyone tucked in and most of them were happy with the sumptuous char koay teow. Lets refer to Dr Leslie Tay again for his verdict of the char koay teow at this place:

The end product is a Char Kway Teow that was lively, smooth and infused with the umami flavour of the prawns. The Kway Teow also has that elusive Wok Hei and savoury flavour which is often missing in Singapore.

You could find this char koay teow at :

Kafe Heng Huat
108 Lorong Selamat
Penang

GPS Coordinates:  N 5  25′ 02.0″  E 100  19′ 29.7″

It would be nice to hear your view/verdict on these two Char Koay Teow…

***Updated on November 2010 -  The taste of the Char Koay Teow from Ah Leng stall was not up to my expectation.  Ah Leng himself was not around and the cooking was done by his assistant.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 15th, 2009 at 11:23 pm and is filed under Char Koay Teow, George Town, Hawker, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

the prawns looked so juicy! :D

chumpman´s last blog post..The Worst Escap

February 15th, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Ah Leng’s better for me..cant std the “sombong” aunty ..

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Penang Floggers Invited Review – Louis Cafe, Agryll Road – Penang

February 16th, 2009 at 3:47 am

Ah Leng CKT is still the best, dont like the sombong aunty!!! Just hate that attitude!

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Four Seasons Tea House ??????

February 16th, 2009 at 7:40 am

It’s time to go back to Ah Leng CKT. It’s been months that I don’t take CKT.

little inbox´s last blog post..Swenson’s @ Auto-City

February 16th, 2009 at 8:53 am

I had tried both. The best thing abt Ah Leng CKT is u dun need to line up under the hot sun for half an hour to eat ur CKT. The serving time is also faster. The only thing is I can’t find my favourite chinese sausage here. Hehehe!

lk´s last blog post..Baked donuts

February 16th, 2009 at 9:43 am
wahcow

hhaaa…i thought i was the only one who noticed googled auntie’s attitude !!!!….

February 16th, 2009 at 10:34 am

that lady isn’t exactly the most friendly person i’ve met so far!!! i’d rather not eat CKT than to buy it from her!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Duckie’s Valentine’s Day Cocktail – Part 3

February 16th, 2009 at 10:45 am

RM9.50? Last time was RM8.50 only.
Have stopped eating this for quite a while….
Good but very high cholesterol….

soo sean´s last blog post..home-cooked-ecstasy

February 16th, 2009 at 10:53 am

Chumpman – The prawns which are the main ingredients of this CKT are very fresh & juicy…which makes this CKT very flavourful.

ThenomadGourmand – Many ppl can’t stand her attitude and also the waiting time under the hot sun.

New Kid On The Blog – The first thing ppl mentioned about her CKT is her attitude.

Little inbox – The taste is good…still the same, recommended for revisits.

lk – Not many stalls have the lap cheong in their CKT…some says the taste override the prawn taste.

Wahcow – Your observation is very accurate…she is famous not only for her CKT but also her attitude…haha

Duckie – I noticed that when some hawkers become famous, they tend to have this type of attitude.

February 16th, 2009 at 11:09 am

CK,

My favourite will go to Ah Leng Char Kuey Teow coz its just opposite my house! haha… and i think the aunty in Lorong Selamat is pretty friendly ever since she moved to new coffee shop.
Opposite Ah Leng CKT is the famous stadium curry mee. Selling in the morning. Did you guys try it? Man, im missing penang food like crazy typing this now.

ZeeknotGeek´s last blog post..The Magnificent Fish and chips bar

February 16th, 2009 at 11:47 am

duckie,

trust me, me and my friends used to have “world war” with her last time we ate at her place.

but now, she;s no longer the stuck up aunty i used to know coz ever since she moved to new location, her business is brisk. And the credit all goes to another dude who took over her place (who also wear goggle like snowboarding liddat).

ZeeknotGeek´s last blog post..The Magnificent Fish and chips bar

February 16th, 2009 at 11:55 am

My favourite ckt stall – Ah Leng CKT.
I always have my plate of CKT with only mantis prawn… yummy.

allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Penang Hill Laksa

February 16th, 2009 at 12:13 pm

ZeeknotGeek – You must have visited Ah Leng’s place countless of times.
Btw…nice of you for sharing the curry mee…must check it out soon.

Allie – I can’t wait to try out the CKT with just the mantis prawn…thanks.

February 16th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Yesterday, I just told hubby to go Ah Leng’s place for CKT. lol But end up we went to Padang Brown for other foods. Going to try the mantis prawn CKT soon too. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Restoran East Coast Food World

February 16th, 2009 at 12:37 pm

penang ckt rocks! the kway teow and chilli paste is somehow different. gosh, i wish i could drive up to penang just for the ckt..oh, and cendol as well. oh, and laksa! hahaha! ;)

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..WARAKU de GOHAN

February 16th, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I miss the Ah Leng CKT during my last visit to Penang. After look at your pictures, I think I will regret if I don’t take next time Penang!
Thanks for sharing! It’s really look delicious!
About the Lrg Selamat CKT, I’m not that fancy because of her attitude…though it’s good.
See-U! :)

Robo´s last blog post..David Brown’s Restaurant, Penang Hill – Penang

February 16th, 2009 at 3:16 pm

You guys were lucky. The last trip I went it was fried by Ah Leng’s son, it tasted too spicy and the koay teow was lumpy too.

And the price for a plate of char koay teow now a days are off the scale by just adding bigger prawns or mantis prawns.

I still prefer to the traditional old school char koay teow, no fuzz just the skill of the cook.

Jason Wong´s last blog post..Hainanese at Nan Yang Chinese Cuisine, Penang

February 16th, 2009 at 7:02 pm
Tan

Well CK, Ah Leng char koay teow i can tell you its ok but that Lorong Selamat one well sorry la i think i wont even eat from that stall!

February 16th, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Food Paradise – Let me know whether you like it or not.

Nic (KHKL) – Remember to call me when you are coming to Penang, we go makan-makan together.

Robo – Look like CKT is a must have for you on your next trip…haha

Jason Wong – The traditional old school char koay teow stalls are getting less nowadays. Would be nice if you can share some of them with us :)

Tan – Sounds like you have encounter a bad experience in that place too.

February 17th, 2009 at 12:31 am

Ah Leng CKT is no doubt one of the good ones around. I was wondering why so many of those supposedly famous ones have drop in quality. I guessed popularity and extreme publicity had made them over confident. Let’s hope Ah Leng will maintain his delicious CKT forever.

Criz Lai´s last blog post..CHRYSANTHEMUM GINSENG WOLFBERRY JELLY WITH RAW HONEY

February 17th, 2009 at 1:43 am
Tan

Well CK i think i encounter the WORST from anyone here seriously! In fact i was the one who set history record for her! hahahahaha

February 17th, 2009 at 9:08 am

Criz Lai – Lets hope the CKT of Penang still stands out the best.

Tan – Sounds interesting coming from you. I definitely would like to hear about it when we get to meet.

February 17th, 2009 at 10:02 am

Wow I don’t remember the last time I had CKT. I somehow prefer mee goreng :P Haven’t tried any of the VIP standard CKT before. Maybe someday on a special occasion lar.. haha

February 17th, 2009 at 2:13 pm
Bris77

hi CK, besides this 2 famous CKT, is there any other place (CKT) that is worth checking out?

February 17th, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Photos took with your new SLR? hehe…

February 17th, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Now she is known as “The lady with the goggles”. Funny. What about Ah Leng? The man who wears clogs? But I have not tried Ah Leng before though it was recommended by many.

February 17th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Durianberry – I also eat this type of CKT once in a while lor.

Bris77 – Do try the CKT from the stall by the roadside of Anson & Siam Road…only at night.

Ah Shui – It is…but still lot to improve on.

Laukl – Now Ah Leng is known as the man with the clogs…haha. Thats a good one.

February 17th, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Yummy… I love Char Kway Teow! So hungry right now by just looking the pics.

Btw, there’s an award for you ;)
You can collect it here.

Selba´s last blog post..Donat Kentang (Potato donut)

February 18th, 2009 at 11:42 am
dy

i hate the lorong selamat CKT. the aunty so obnoxious.

but i do highly recommend the fish head noodle just right behind the shop.

February 18th, 2009 at 12:56 pm

not really a fan of the Lrg Selamat one, as I find them over rated and over priced. few years ago only RM6, not RM9?!!
though the prawns and cockles were some of the bigger i’ve found.

yet to discover the power of Ah Leng’s CKT. with mantis prawns … can imagine the sinful taste.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..An Excursion to Sungai Petani, Kedah (Part 1)

February 18th, 2009 at 3:13 pm

February 18th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Selba – Thanks for your comment & the lovely award.

dy – Will drive by and check out the fish head noodle…

J2Kfm – Must really try out Ah Leng CKT when you are in town.

mabel – Oops, look like many readers are giving negative feedback to her.

February 18th, 2009 at 3:59 pm
serene

1st time view your blog. really interest and attractive to me.im come from mainland Bukit Mertajam. now staying and working at Penang. u let’s me know how the attractive of food in Penang. Where the location and variety of restaurant which i nvr been b4.i’ll cont. support ur blog. thank u

February 18th, 2009 at 5:32 pm
Tan

Serene when come to nice places for food in Penang you visited the right place! CK can even let you know where you get the best desserts!!!!

February 18th, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Wow, you took photos of the CKT during the frying process. Nice.. I gotta remind myself to take these types of photos too next time

February 18th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

i tried ah leng fried one before..the special one cost rm8…but it is worth trying….big prawns with crabfish… i certainly will go for it again..

claire´s last blog post..Barbour Country Attire

February 18th, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Looking at the pics reminds me.. must go for it again..

CT´s last blog post..Scotch Pub In Ipoh Garden South

February 18th, 2009 at 10:10 pm

serene – Nice of you dropping by and glad you find the info useful. Do send me an email should you need any assistance in finding the places. Happy eating as the island has lots to offer.

Tan – Looks like you are following my blog closely…haha, and I want to say thank you for the support.

vkeong – I tried to get a better and clearer shot, but its difficult with the splattering oil and hot steam.

claire – Must pay more now, as prices has increased…

CT – Remember that it is closed on Thursday.

February 18th, 2009 at 11:43 pm
Bri

Hi Ms Lam,sorry for geeting out of topic, cos i wont comment about the koay teow. I like food, and i really like your blog, give me a lot of ideas and suggestions of what n where to eat, thank you Ms Lam!

February 19th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

the price has indeed gone thro the roofs. Nearly $10 per plate. The definition of ‘hawker food’ needs to be revised ASAP.

iMyFish´s last blog post..Fishless Cycling

February 19th, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Bri – You are most welcome to drop by my blog. It will be updated frequently with variety of food outlets.

iMyFish – The high price gives customers an option of eating more extra seafood with their CKT…and they do serve the normal pricing CKT too.

February 19th, 2009 at 10:40 pm
Tan

So CK this sunday where want to go?????

February 19th, 2009 at 11:13 pm
Damien

Have you tried the char kway teow at Hiong Hiong @Stall 43, Kompleks Gerai Makan Batu Lanchang Lintang Batu Lanchang? Sedap…

February 25th, 2009 at 12:27 am

Damien – How I wish you were here with all of us on this outing…but anyway I hope to meet up with you in the near future.

Thanks for the info on stall 43, I will check it out.

February 25th, 2009 at 12:34 am

This is the first time I’ve heard of Ah Leng CKT. Man, I want some real Penang CKT right now! Haven’t been back in so long, starting to lose the taste memory!

Nate´s last blog post..Our Favorite Layer Cake Recipe

February 26th, 2009 at 3:25 am
Damien

Hope to catch up with you in the near future too!

March 3rd, 2009 at 11:53 am
R&B Chan

CK, love your blog! Coming up to Penang this weekend. Penang CKT is one of our favorites. Will definitely try some of the places you wrote about. It would be great if you could rate the restaurants/outlets on price eg $, $$, $$$, etc.

March 5th, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Nate – Mark this place down…don’t miss this Char Koay Teow.

Damien – Me too.

R & B Chan – Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance.

March 5th, 2009 at 5:10 pm
QQ babe

the taste is ‘so so’ only, and the attitude of the aunty is terrible…. long waiting time, very pround and yet still have to to pay that high price (compare with the avarage penang hawkers), so I think is not worth it ………….
I won’t recommend this char koay teow stall to my friends and relative from others state.

March 24th, 2009 at 8:35 pm
Raymond

Agree with you QQ babe. I don’t see anything special about the Lrg Selamat CKT and yet you need to pay an expensive $$ to get scolded under the hot sun. Long waiting time is fine to me but her rude attitude is something out of my tolerant level.

RM9 per plate is just ridiculous. I know that the CKT come with some prawns, but please bear in mind that i am ordering CKT and not fried prawn. I will go to a seafood restaurant if i am after some delicious prawns.

I just been there once and it was my first and last time. I never recommend this stall to my friends from out station or oversea as she is already in my life time ban list. haha…

I cannot denied Ah Leng CKT is one of the best in Penang. But my favorite is still the BM duck egg CKT. Yummmy!!!!!!!

March 27th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

QQ babe & Raymond – It’s great to know your views and opinions…thanks for sharing :)

March 29th, 2009 at 10:37 pm
CH

I’ve been a char koay teow lover since young, in my opinion, the best char koay teow is the stall by father and son on Siam Road fried with charcoal. They move their stall outside Ban Heng Bee after the corner kopi tiam is closed. Price is only RM3.20 with egg, best value with fantastic taste, not to be missed!

March 29th, 2009 at 11:12 pm

CH – Thanks for sharing. I went passed the stall on Siam Road the other day. The customers can enjoy proper sitting for their plate of CKT in front of the coffee shop.

March 30th, 2009 at 12:46 am
EL

Fully agreed with CH about the CKT stall on Siam Road, it’s the best.

March 31st, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Magnificent … I love Lor Selamat’s CKT! :-)

April 2nd, 2009 at 11:35 am

EL – Penangites are very lucky to have so many tasty CKT, with each other so nearby.

Julian Si – I already drop in your blog to have a peep at your heavenly plate of CKT….yummy.

April 2nd, 2009 at 2:54 pm
anonymous

The Siam Road ckt which uses charcoal is the old school type of ckt. Nice.. u have to stand by the road side and eat, limited tables and chairs, but worth it :)
Different style from Ah Leng’s.
Another CKT which is quite nice is at Asia Coffee Shop @ air itam near, on the left and last shop lots approaching the roundabout if you come from town. Only available in the morning.. managed by a husband and wife.. quite nice also..

April 7th, 2009 at 2:24 pm

anonymous – Looks like you have plenty of good food to share around air itam. Will find out the CKT :)

April 7th, 2009 at 3:08 pm

This is a place that I blacklisted due to poor and unfriendly service.

April 10th, 2009 at 11:24 pm
Choi

Enjoying the pics and the comments on the CKT.
It’s true that quite a few hawkers become “lansi lanyeong” – in Cantonese, when they get a bit popular for their ware. Solution – simply spread the word and boycott them.
Digging down memory lane, the lasting great taste of the CKT for me was by a guy on a tricycle parked along Cheeseman Road back in circa 1966. It cost me 30 sens for a really delicious plate of CKT!. Not over greasy, and the kuchai is just right – crunchy. Can still remember it vividly after all these years, and now domiciled in the UK since 1976. Deep down I’m stlll a Penang old boy.
Keep up the good work CK Lam.

April 11th, 2009 at 5:04 am

Jonathan – Many people do share the same opinion with you.

Choi – I don’t have the luck to taste the ones along Cheeseman Road at all but glad to see you sharing your experience with me. Thanks for dropping by, Penang old boy!

April 12th, 2009 at 1:13 am
Max

Ah Leng CKT – Prawn is bigger, fresh & nice than Aunt one. But talk about the Fried Koay Teow, aunt kunfu is better. So, ur must order Koay Teow w/o prawn from aunt & buy Prawn from Ah Leng to mix it. Guarranty u will have the best CKT

April 26th, 2009 at 12:23 am

Max – That’s a super mixture from both CKT stall…haha

April 26th, 2009 at 9:03 am
Ah Kian

many years ago when i went to her stall for the first time, that auntie asked me to hold a plate and queue, i told her ” Lu Siau Ehhh” i think ten years has pased i still boycott her CKT, I used to love the New Lane CKT but now i will try out Ah Leng’s CKT

April 29th, 2009 at 3:57 pm
Karen

i found 1 good char koay teow at 127 Hawker Centre Burmah road, you guys should try it.

May 1st, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Ah Kian – I think you are not the only one that experience that. You don’t have to do that now since she have shifted into her own shop.

Karen – I have already blog about the CKT at 127 Food Court… do check it out at http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/04/penang-hawker-food-127-burma-road-food-court/

May 1st, 2009 at 11:29 pm
Andrew

I totally agree with CH (52) and EL (54).

The CKT at the junction of Siam Road / Anson Road is still the benchmark to beat.

The taste of a charcoal-fried CKT is second to none.

May 4th, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Andrew – The Siam Road/Anson Road CKT will be one of my next review. Thanks to you, CH (52) and EL (54) for recommending.

May 4th, 2009 at 9:15 pm
sara

the Kafe Heng Huat ‘s char kouy teow izit the “jie mei char kouy teow”
?

July 8th, 2009 at 12:51 am
Vic

CKT is my all time favorite that I will never ever miss when I return to Penang. I have eaten at many places, K.L., J.B., Malacca, Ipoh, Taiping, but my verdict is Penang that serves the best CKT.
My favorite stall is still at Lorong Selamat though I have not visited Ah Leng’s and hope not to miss. Agreed that the lady at Lorong Selamat is one of a kind but I just adore her CKT and had patronized her CKT for many many years. I used to frequent the sisters’ CKT at Macalister Road in the ’70s where they top up with crab meat. However their standard has dropped drastically.
The food that I will never ever miss whilst in Penang are CKT, Chee Cheong Fun, Loh Mee, Curry Mee, Sar Hor Fun (Pulau Tikus), Beef Steam Boat, Hokkien Mee, Steamed Banana Leave wrapped Hoo Pau, Lor Bak (Sri Bahari Road) and Laksa. I can start the day with CKT and end the day also with CKT but only in Penang. I can never find a CKT stall here in KL that can compare to Penang.
If I could find company for makan trip to Penang, I would gladly accompany even if on weekly basis. This is how much I miss Penang food.
I am glad you mentioned the Hainanese Satay with the special Potato sauce. Now I know where I can find my long lost favorite satay. 25 years ago, I used to frequent the satay stall at the corner coffee shop at Pulau Tikus and consume not less than 30 sticks of satay with that special sauce. That stall no longer exist and I have not been able to locate such similar satay stall. Thanks for your findings I wish I could be there immediately.

August 15th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

sara – They are different, not the “jie mei char kouy teow”. Give this place a try.

Vic – Nice of you sharing your views with me. It’s indeed CKT all the way for you in Penang…haha. Do drop in again for more updates on Penang Food.

August 16th, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Looks like Ah Leng CKT is the one to eat this weekend!

August 19th, 2009 at 10:35 am
ERIC

YOU SHOULD TRY MACALLUM FLAT (GOH THEH LOH–FIFTH STREET) CKT

August 26th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Pureglutton – Glad to hear that you managed to eat this CKT.

ERIC – Where exactly is the stall? Is it in the coffeeshop or near the rojak stall?

August 26th, 2009 at 6:21 pm
Murali

Ah Leng CKT is surely the best! The uncle and his team are really nice, polite and his CKT is over the top! A 10 on all counters! ;)

September 16th, 2009 at 2:00 pm
Food Critic

Red hatted Mdm Soon’s CKT at Lrg Selamat has dropped standard after losing so many Penang customers. Has to rely a lot on KL/Singapore tourists. Nowadays prawns not so fresh, slightly burnt and too oily. If you order in non-Penang Hokkien or in Mandarin or Cantonese, price goes up by RM1. Sisters CKT is still more tasty.

December 26th, 2009 at 3:56 pm
ocs

don’t think the autie’s ckt at lorong selamat is nice. the ckt of the guy wearing swimming goggles few doors next to her shop is much better taste. have brought many frens from outstations to compare both and all verdict favour the guy. love the taste of the big prawns and we describe it as “taste of the ocean”.

February 26th, 2010 at 1:27 am
owen

I wish to raise another point. That old hag (what aunty?) at Lrg Selamat is not only dirty in the mouth, she is also VERY unhygienic ! To to visit her kitchen where she prepares her CKT ingredients & find out for yourself !!
Even FREE, i will NOT eat her CKT, let alone pay $9.50 per plate.
So, lets all BOYCOTT her CKT at Lrg Selamat and go elsewhere …. AH Leng CKT ?

March 4th, 2010 at 2:28 pm
Lyn

Why people so crazy about the Lorong Selamat CKT? Aunty is so rude! There’s plenty of nice CKT around Penang.

April 29th, 2010 at 9:43 pm
Bond

Dear Penangites who lives in KL,
I have found a CKT that is quite similiar to Penang quality..with lard & Lap cheong..Its located in Brickfields. Opposite a Happy Restaurant.
It is in a Red Color Coffee Shop..forgot the name..the signboard reads Penang Char Koay Teow…try it…:)

June 12th, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Ron

All of you missed out the siam road CKT’s brother at Taman Free School food court.
traditional CKT. cheap and tasty!

June 18th, 2010 at 11:26 pm
Tham Ciak

KY you are right. I am a Penangnite and we all boycott the Lorong Selamat char koey teow. She is simply too arrogant, she likes to tell off customer by saying, “I want to wait then wait, else no need to eat” and when you order she will give you one angry look. Please do not repeat your order or she will rudely tell you off. Also do not ask when will you koey teow be ready she will angrily ignore you or scold you. This is too much, she doesn’t realise that its we all, the customers, that give her the business, if one day more and more customers are pissed off, then she will have no more business.

Char koey teow at other places in Penang are equally or I confidently say, nicer. The taste of char koey teow in Penang are quite similar. Why do we have to be insulted by her.

July 5th, 2010 at 2:24 pm
Lim

Boycott Lorong Selamat Char Koay Teow campaign now underway here. I have been hearing horror stories about that shop for years. Latest is that Lorong Selamat Char Koay Teow uses prawns that had been soaked with very harmful preservatives that makes the prawns delicious and crunchy.

September 16th, 2010 at 10:06 pm
Aaron

Went there once before with my friend from out of town, sing he’s a very big “spicy food” eater, he asked me to order for him so I did…

When I ordered, I told her to add more chili. The stupid auntie there said “OK, I will put more and more chili for you, let you eat till you die” (translated from hokkien).

That was t…he last time I ever went there to eat at the stupid fella’s plaec. Never again will I eat there!

September 21st, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Char Koay Teow seller at Han Chiang High School from 1978 to 1981 during my school days its still the best, anyone know where is he right now?

September 22nd, 2010 at 1:47 pm
brudder

Yeah, boycott Lorong Selamat CKT! Read today’s Star – 23 September 2010. Reader’s letter titled “Boycott arrogant hawker”. Why pay to be insulted? We Penangites have this saying: “so eow kui-meh?”

September 23rd, 2010 at 4:17 pm
Sherry

With so many complaints on the arrogant lady of this Lorong Selamat Char Keow Teow, the above write up on this arrogant Char Keow Teow should be REMOVED!!!!!

Show you supports at:

September 25th, 2010 at 12:30 am
Ching

Pulau Tikus Market Sin Wah Char Koay Teow during night is nice and the price is reasonable.It is located next to the famous Lok Lok in Penang.I think you guys should have a try at it.The price is cheaper compare to others which I think its ridiculous to pay RM9 for a plate of CKT.So i strongly recommend you all to go for it.The ingredients are fresh and they having mantis prawns and fresh cockles too.:)

October 6th, 2010 at 11:54 pm
Haihang

Dont eat the googled auntie’s CKT pls!!
Her CKT is so so only..accept the prawn is big!
but price damm high and her attitude!!!!..better dont go there eat..dont make your mood turn Bad because of her!!

October 8th, 2010 at 2:14 pm
kcooi

i have boycotted this arrogant and stupid two-bit char koay teow woman from lorong selamat, penang, ages ago. imagine, i ordered a plate, they gave me two, i told them only one, they took back both plates. and the woman was boasting aloud, “why ah so many people like my koay teow.” stuff it down her throat. the ah pek’s ckt across the road better!

October 13th, 2010 at 11:55 pm
beebee

Not necessary go for so expensive CKT. Normal price will be RM4++ to 5++ for a plate with duck egg. There a lot nice CKT store in penang

October 18th, 2010 at 3:33 pm
jcjc

i support u (mabel).
(I really hate the aunty in there… the price is totally ridiculous… furthermore, keep on using the vulgar words…)no standard at all. i’ve never been there since 1998. penang has so many nice Char Koay Teow but not the lorong selamat.

October 28th, 2010 at 10:09 pm
annon

Ah leng ckt still at dato kramat i want to go

December 1st, 2010 at 4:29 pm
Sarah

I prefer sister’s CKT, somemore got otak otak!

I also dislike the Lorong Selamat CKT, very rude indeed and too overpriced…

January 3rd, 2011 at 7:29 am
henry

penang fried kway teow they dont add the sweet black soya sauce in almost all their store,
i find that more appetising

January 5th, 2011 at 11:13 pm
wilbalan singh

ah leng ckt best in penang!

January 8th, 2011 at 3:44 am
Ilovefood

I love CKT so much..but do you know if the Ah Leng’s CKT is halal? If not, can you recommend a halal & yummy CKT in penang?
Thanks :)

March 15th, 2011 at 11:29 am
Mr Yeap

Kafe Keng Huat Char Koay Teow used to be at the other coffee shop. The lady frying the Koay Teow is so arrogant that she ask us to line up saying self service. Still a lot of people lining up under the hot sun and the smell of the frying pan is so terrible. How can she treat her customer like that. Think carefully if you are treated like that, how do yo feel? I am sure if a lot of people is to boycott for a while she won’t even sell it so expensive.

May 12th, 2011 at 11:45 pm
ooidogtor

Where is the banana leaf anyway…

June 2nd, 2011 at 2:12 pm
Elr

Henry: The really good CKT sellers don’t need sweet sauce to mask the taste of the food. Try asking any of black sauce CKT hawker, even the famous ones to omit the sweet sauce and chances are, they wont get it right. The sweet sauce makes the CKT more forgiving if wok hei is lacking but you can’t hide it when you don’t have sweet sauce to hide it.

June 9th, 2012 at 10:57 am

just try the one at Jalan Zoo, it is so delicious.

Taste…iest

July 13th, 2012 at 11:20 am
Adrian Lim

Have anyone of you check out the CKT at Kampung Jawa, Bayan Lepas area?

July 21st, 2012 at 6:27 pm
steve

Loring Selamat CKT grossly overrated and you get treated like dirt for waiting.

Well if you asked for it then …………..

August 20th, 2012 at 5:15 pm
kak siah

Hahahaha…. its really tickle me reading all your comments about the ‘sombong auntie’ I cant help giggling reading you all mengumpat the auntie. Pity all those experiencing the blood raising moment.

January 5th, 2013 at 4:29 pm
James

No doubt that Ah Leng’s CKT is the best when compared to the rest (lorong selamat, sisters and etc).

However, MAKE SURE Ah Leng is the one who fried the CKT or else you’ll be disappointed. Sometimes his daughter/son will fry on his behalf while he is taking a rest or simply not around.

The CKT at Lebuh Kimberly at night is great as well with the egg partially cooked. Also, make sure the father cooks and not the daughter.

January 9th, 2013 at 3:57 pm
Penang Tan

These are probably the 2 “infamous” CKT places that we local will not frequent unless there are visitors from elsewhere requested to go. They are very expensive and the taste is average (not bad) but there are many other places that tasted better, cheaper and friendlier.

July 22nd, 2013 at 2:56 pm
Catherine T

Don’t like the snobbish aunty, I will bring my friends from Hong Kong to try Ah Leng CKT

October 18th, 2013 at 11:03 pm

1. Low Eng Hoo @ Lorong Selamat | Waco and his food    Apr 15 2009 / 11am:

[...] (turn left when reaching New World Park which is on your right). It is famous with expensive Char Koay Teow. While saving some money to review this fried rice noodle stall, we paid a visit to a restaurant of [...]

2. Koay Teow Th'ng with Duck Meat @ Cecil Street Market Hawker Centre, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 03 2009 / 7pm:

[...] commonly known as KTT is a popular hawker food for Penangites besides the overwhelmingly famous Char Koay Teow, Assam Laksa and Hokkien Mee. Lately I have been patronizing the Duck Meat Koay Teow Th’ng at [...]

3. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Mar 31 2010 / 12pm:

[...] Penang Tel Number: 012 4983962 Business Hours: 8am – 2pm Closed On: Thursdays Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/02/ah-leng-char-koay-teow-lorong-selamat-char-koay-teow-penang/ http://www.vkeong.com/2007/food-drink/ah-leng-char-koay-teow/ [...]

4. Sri Bahari Road Hainanese Chicken Rice new outlet in Lorong Selamat | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jul 28 2010 / 3pm:

[...] son, carrying on the business. The stall is located in Mid Town Cafe which is diagonally across the Char Koay Teow stall at Kafe Heng [...]

5. Bubbye 2010: 2 Days 3 Towns 7 Meals Up North | Sloppy Chic    Dec 30 2010 / 6pm:

[...] We found this famous Ah Leng Char Kuay Teow stall from CK’s blog. [...]

6. Ultimate Penang Food Guide | Food Point of Interest    Feb 22 2012 / 8pm:

[...] Kak – Wah Meng Kopitiam Air Itam Char Koay Kak – In front Sui Wah Mini Market Night Char Koay Teow [Ah Leng Day Time] Char Koay Teow [Ah Leng Night Time] Char Koay Teow [Lorong Selamat] Char Koay Teow [Sisters [...]

7. Slow days in Penang « rachel's rumblings    Oct 21 2012 / 1pm:

[...] the police headquarters along Penang Road”.  I wanted to try, in particular, char kway teow from these two places, but didn’t have a chance to do so because of the rain. We did stumble upon the famous chendol [...]

8. Chinese Food: Top 4 Penang Char Kway Teows! - Awesome Penang    Dec 30 2012 / 2pm:

[...] Penang, Malaysia. If you wish to learn more about Lorong Selamat Char Kway Teow, check out a REVIEW by [...]