Recently our family together with some friends went over to Butterworth to try out the food at Ah Keat Seafood Restaurant. We were recommended to this place by Sueh Ying. As to the location we only know it is located somewhere in Jalan Raja Uda near to the Nine Emperor Temple. With our trusted Garmin Navigator, we arrived at the temple. From there we slowly search for the restaurant and true enough, we found it located just a few meters opposite the temple.

This restaurant initially was doing zhu char and has since ventured into more imported live seafood items in the last few years. It has rows of huge glass tanks with wide selection of live seafood which can be ordered in a variety of preparation options, including steamed, stir-fried and deep-fried.

IMG_4467

IMG_4486 IMG_4475

Besides the exotic seafood, they also have other signature dishes which consist of chicken, pork and local seafood. We started off having the deep fried chicken wings marinated with Nam Yue. Fried until golden brown and well cook inside, each delicious wing cost RM2.

img_4394.jpg

The fried porridge was my favourite. The porridge @RM10 was fried with finely chop dry cuttlefish, mushroom and mince meat. I was told that it was important to constantly stir the porridge in order for it not to stick to the bottom of the pan and get burnt. The coriander leaves added flavor to the porridge. Must try this dish if you like thick porridge.

IMG_4365 IMG_4387

Siam Style Mantis Prawn @RM10. Deep fried mantis prawn is stir fried together with cashew and macadamia nuts, dry shrimps and sotong bakar together with onions and chili padi. I like this smaller size macadamia nuts as it does not feel so mouthful as compared to those extra large ones serve in some restaurants.

img_4406.jpg

Stew chicken leg (Jiu Yim Kai Keok) @RM10. Stewed to the right texture (not too soft) and then stir fried with garlic, chili and topped with spring onions. A bit spicy and very appetizing.

img_4413.jpg

The Tomyam Seafood @RM20 consist of crab, prawn and sotong. The soup is not too sourish and has strong flavour of limau pulut, lemon grass and mint leaves. We could not help ourselves finishing every drop of the soup. The seafood were fresh. An excellent dish to get the appetite going.

img_4421.jpg

As for the fish dish, we had the Queensland Grouper (loong dun). The grouper was steam in soy sauce, with strips of ginger, pieces of mushroom with a hint of Chinese wine. This type of  grouper is a big fish by nature and the meat tends to be firmer. The fish slice is price at RM10 per 100g.

img_4377.jpg

I like the simplicity of this Steamed La La dish @RM8. It has a lot of mince garlic, ginger, chili padi and tasted refreshing with the lemon juice that were squeezed into it before steaming. I particular like the gravy that has the strong pungent taste.

img_4373.jpg

Crab fried with salted egg yolk. We came to know the chef fried the crabs with six salted yolks. We find it very flavorsome but a bit on the salty side. It was a delight licking and biting the shell.

img_4445.jpg

img_4456.jpg

Last but not least, the signature tofu dish, which are fried till golden brown. The lady owner makes these tofu herself. The vegetable cutlets in there goes well with the taste of the beancurd.

img_4512_0.jpg

Overall the dishes were delicious and very tasty with emphasis on quality and freshness. The place is also brightly lighted and hygienic. We are bound to visit this place again to try out their other selection of live seafood. Saw the photos displayed on the wall that our Yang Berhormat, Mr Lim Guan Eng had patronized this restaurant before.

IMG_4330 IMG_4481

IMG_4333 IMG_4489

This family owned and operated restaurant offers a comfortable family-oriented atmosphere and is open for dinner only, 7 nights a week. This restaurant is situated in Jalan Raja Uda, and the best route there from the island would be taking the Butterworth Outer Ring Road. Click here for the Map Location.

img_4515.jpg

Ah Keat Seafood Restaurant
6881, Lorong Merbau 1 Off Jalan Raja Uda,
13000 Butterworth
Tel : 04 3233319, 012 4258552 & 012 4918736

Business Hours : starting from 5 pm right through 1.30am

GPS Coordinates : N05 26.560   E100 23.221

After the dinner, we went to took some photographs of the Nine Emperor Temple.  It was lighted up so beautifully. Check out the  photos in my other blog.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 12th, 2009 at 11:25 pm and is filed under Chinese, Penang Mainland, Penang Restaurant, Seafood. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

wow… good posting. I never know there’s a famous seafood restaurant down here.

thanks for sharing.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Louis Café

February 13th, 2009 at 7:42 am

What a delicious water-mouthering post! :)

The crab is really huge!

Fried rice porridge? That’s new for me…

February 13th, 2009 at 9:02 am

I saw this restaurants last month when we passed by Raja Uda. Wow…. nice and delicious foods. Why you did not invite us to go along? lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Azuma @ Queensbay Mall

February 13th, 2009 at 9:11 am

So good and so cheap! Cannot find in Sarawak! Must consider migrating now! xD

Excellent post, CK and nice pics!

James Wong´s last blog post..a short trip to brunei

February 13th, 2009 at 9:40 am

New Kid On The Blog – Thank you. The taste of the food was also acceptable by my friends too. Do try it out.

Selba – The fried porridge was new to me too. I like it as it was very fragrant and I am also a thick porridge lover myself.

Food Paradise – That is my first time there and now that I have found it, we can go together another day.

James Wong – Come with your family to Penang for a visit…I will take you to try out this seafood restaurant plus other hawker food :)

February 13th, 2009 at 9:58 am

Fried porridge and steamed lala. I love my lala steamed rather than fried. The porridge dish is unheard of?

Chin´s last blog post..Ahan Thai, Bandar Puteri, Puchong

February 13th, 2009 at 10:06 am

hi ck lam, thanks for ur wishes….yeah, it will be a new chapter of my life being a daddy.

btw, saw ur seafood post bout this restaurant in penang…the only seafood restaurant i went to penang is the Bali-hai….at Gurney

vialentino´s last blog post..Vialentino is busy at work

February 13th, 2009 at 10:49 am
See Meng

I 1st tried fried porridge was 4yrs ago. It was 2 hrs drive to search this particular dish. Not sure it was the same restaurant but at that time, it was really inside a kampung..and cost RM6 a bowl (for 3 ppl size). However, another dish was stir-fried spicy half-shell cockles, also must try. Not sure if this restaurant does have it.

Steam fish skin seems tantalising. Wonder if they do fish head.

Homemade taufu must eat while they are piping hot, do they have special blend chilli sauce that we can dip?

Hmm.. wondering if I ever get another smelly taufu in Penang?

February 13th, 2009 at 12:28 pm
Bris77

Oh boy… I am hungry looking at these pictures! Great photography skill!
I have tasted fried crab with salted eggs at Restaurant Fresh Unique Seafood 23, Jln Kemajuan, SS13, PJ and feel in love with this dish… err, with an expensive price! Did not know that we have this dish in Penang :) Hooray.. no need to travel far now!
Will try to find my way to Raja Uda soon :)

February 13th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

wow look at the crab and lobster!!! huge!!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Duckie’s Valentine’s Day Cocktail – Part 3

February 13th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Chin – Try out the fried porridge should you come across it…very fragrant.

Vialentino – Do mark this restaurant for your next outing for seafood.

See Meng – They did recommend the fish head but we opted for the flesh instead.
Thai type of chili sauce is provided for the taufu dish.

Bris77 – Do try the food at this place…it is good. Just contact me if you can’t find this place.
I am still learning how to make the most of my new camera. Hope to improve more along the way.

Duckie – Sure looks delicious…I am looking forward to such a meal :)

February 13th, 2009 at 3:05 pm

this, is a VERY good find! thanks ck!
the aquarium structures reminded me of Unique seafood, where you can stand n pick your ‘poisons’. :)

oh so that’s what Loong Dun is called in Eng!!

J2Kfm´s last blog post..DURIAN-ized @ Sri Karak Restaurant, Section 52, PJ

February 13th, 2009 at 3:07 pm

So glad it’s dinner time di… cos I am drooling and my tummy is growling at these pics. I guess it’s SEAFOOD tonite for me! Hehe.

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..Seasons of Love

February 13th, 2009 at 6:04 pm

This could be alternate location for seafood when Bukit Tambun is jammed up or Batu Kawan Ah Yen were fully book. Nice selections of seafoods here.

email2me´s last blog post..Food Tasting Session at Cova, The Gardens Mid Valley Megamall

February 13th, 2009 at 6:24 pm

the crab fried with salted egg yolk is just excellent. I am planing to visit this place on my next round dee. Btw how much is all your spending for the meal?

StevenGoh.com´s last blog post..Fantabulous Western Cuisine @ Louis Cafe, Argyll Road

February 13th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

woo, the selections of seafood at the counter or whatever you call that, seems a lot! man, everything looks so nice. haha

ladyironchef´s last blog post..January monthly updates

February 13th, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Wow wow so many mouth-watering dishes!! Beh tahan liao! ;)

lk´s last blog post..Baked donuts

February 14th, 2009 at 12:25 am

Thanks CK for your kind offer! Surely we will need your guidance when we are in Penang! Keep up yr excellent posts – we really enjoy (and learn from) your sharings! xD

James Wong´s last blog post..a short trip to brunei

February 14th, 2009 at 7:38 am

This is a real feast CK! I cannot take my eyes off the salted egg yolk crab… mamma mia!!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Tasty treats from the greener sides of the fence

February 14th, 2009 at 9:15 am

Why no order geoduck? I saw them lining up side by side in the aquarium :)

cariso´s last blog post..Bravo Italiana @ I-Avenue

February 14th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

oh, that salted egg yolk crab is my favourite. Looks very yummy!!!

My Taste Heaven´s last blog post..Chinese New Year part 9: Ba Gua ??- Bee Cheng Hiang ???

February 15th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Wow, those mantis prawns looked delicious! The fried porridge was a tad expensive at RM10 per bowl, don’t you think?

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Where did I lunch?

February 15th, 2009 at 12:27 pm

J2Kfm – I too just found out about its name in this restaurant.

Life for Beginners – I can hear the drumming sound of your tummy from over here…haha

Email2me – Nice place for gathering and celebrating occasions. Give it a try.

StevenGoh – It is around RM160.

Ladyironchef – Must go with a group of friends so can taste more of other dishes.

lk – I know where we should go for dinner when we meet up again…haha

James Wong – I too have so much to see and learn from your blog.
Do drop by here for more updates.

550ml jar of faith – I like that mamma mia phrase…the crabs sure is yummy & tasty, check it out.

February 15th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Cariso – After this first visit, a second one will be coming soon, thats when the geoduck comes in…haha

My Taste Heaven – The salted egg yolk plays the major role in this dish…the taste is very addictive too.

Iamthewitch – Its quite a big bowl and has quite a lot of ingredients too.

February 15th, 2009 at 11:44 pm

This looked like a great spot for cheap seafood. I would love to try out the different varieties there.

Criz Lai´s last blog post..CHRYSANTHEMUM GINSENG WOLFBERRY JELLY WITH RAW HONEY

February 17th, 2009 at 1:28 am

Criz Lai´s last blog post..CHRYSANTHEMUM GINSENG WOLFBERRY JELLY WITH RAW HONEY

February 17th, 2009 at 1:29 am

has anyone counted the no. of restaurants/food stores/hawker stands along the stretch of Jalan Raja Uda. My gut feeling is that it’s potentially could be an entry to th World record!!!

CK, pls have a page just for your top picks, top 10 seafoods, top 10 japanese etc etc.. easier when I research where to die eating next time.

iMyFish´s last blog post..Popping Vitamins – shouldn’t we all be doing this?

February 24th, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I’m lazy, I know….

iMyFish´s last blog post..Popping Vitamins – shouldn’t we all be doing this?

February 24th, 2009 at 6:11 pm
junnie

I am a resident of Raja Uda. Ah Keat is my favourite restaurant and I can vouch that their Tom Yam is the best anywhere.
Have you tried the famous Curry Mee at the other end of Raja Uda Road? Real yummy.

March 1st, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Criz Lai – The food is tasty as well as reasonable priced.

iMyFish – Thanks for your suggestion…will try.

junnie – The food at Ah Keat is good.
I have not eated the curry mee…could you fill me with more particulars on the location?

March 2nd, 2009 at 1:10 am
KK

Its pretty costly to eat at that restaurant.. there was complaint in the chinese paper that the dinner cost up to RM3000 for a meal! I cant think of anything so costly eventho big crab?? But if you wanna try out, please make sure you bring enough cash or dont order those crab or costly seafood as they will charge more than the normal $$…

March 3rd, 2009 at 3:25 pm
Louis

i am staying just nearby that restauant..truely seafood there..

March 3rd, 2009 at 4:40 pm

KK – The best thing to do is to ask for the price before ordering and I am sure they will be glad to let us know the price.

Louis – No wonder you know the place so well. Maybe you can introduce more of their seafood to me.

March 3rd, 2009 at 5:15 pm
Jimmy

I am staying just behind the restaurant. I have been hearing a lot of complaints about the price of this restaurant. They will recommend you some exotic seafoods e.g fish from Sarawak. But they will never come back to you about the estimated price. My relative was charged RM200 for just half of a small piece of fish imported from East Malaysia. I have visited the place a few times long ago but never visit the place again. Reason being, everything is fast produced, over cooked , too oily or too costly. I do not recommend this is a place you should go. I bet, you will be over- charged by the restaurant in your next visit or one of your visits! Then , you will know why many people has stopped visitng the restaurant.

March 10th, 2009 at 12:09 pm
jane

Ah Keat seafood? Gosh…..I was chaged RM60 for a piece of mantis prawn. I believe this not a place for ordinary working class people like me. But if you have too much $$$ to spend, then I think it is fine to eat at this restaurant.

March 10th, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Jimmy & Jane – Thank you for sharing your views.
From what I can see in this restaurant, all the prices are stated clearly i.e. the price per 100 g.
What you should do is…. ask them to weight the food and see how much is the cost. If it is too expensive, there is a choice of not wanting it and choose another lighter in weight. This is what I do when I visit a seafood restaurant. I don’t think they will serve you food with expensive prices that you don’t agree with.

The food is tasty, go and give it another try and do as what I did. I am sure you will get what you want at the price you find suitable.
We have the right to know what we are paying for before we agree to have it, right?

March 11th, 2009 at 9:25 am
jummy

No more Ah Keat seafoof for me. The quality of food is not there. Everthing is prepared in a speedy manner – or in chinese the food is preparaed by using ” big fire” !. I have the experience of ordering the curry fish head but when the food was served, I couldn’t find the see the fish head anymore. Reason being, the food was overcooked. Being a Teaochew person who eats porridge quite often, I think the fried porridge is lousy!

March 11th, 2009 at 10:18 am
June

The food looks yummy!! Wonder what is the cost? Guess gotta go try it one of these days, ya?

March 11th, 2009 at 11:13 am

I’ve been a patron of this restaurant for quite some time and the place has undergone a much needed makeover. However, the quality of food recently has left me disappointed and I think the opposite restaurant is better.

My favorite dish there would have to be the crabs. Order any preparation and it USED TO be very good. I once ordered baked crabs. The crab was overcooked and as a result the meat is dry and sticks to the shell. I had a hard time picking out the meat from the claws. 2nd time, I ordered butter crabs. Though the thick gravy was very tasty, AGAIN the crabs were overcooked!!! My favorite part, which is the claws, had all the meat stuck to the shell, AGAIN!! I am surprised that such an establishment has difficulty in gauging accurately the time needed to cook crabs.

While I was paying, I told the waitress. She was very non-chalant about it. Oh well….since they don’t value customer’s feedback, shall avoid this place like the plague from now on. Waste of time, money and not to mention calories. Really hate it when my meals, especially my dinner is spoilt.

SN´s last blog post..Yummy gummy

March 11th, 2009 at 12:49 pm
EK

This place is famous for overprice seafood, have to ask for the price before make the order, and make sure you got enough cash for the bill.

i think Win Win Seafood beside the highway is better.

March 19th, 2009 at 4:31 pm
yee

not so good~~~
i live around there~~~

April 2nd, 2009 at 6:21 pm
alice

well i’m very happy when viewing this blog cuz i found out still got place got the fried porridge. i had search for a long time in penang island….ck if you find out still got other place have it plz inform me ya….by the way salt egg yolk fried crab wasn’t easy to cook with nice taste…. last time i visit a restaurant at the balik pulau half hill there …the restaurant was name as SKY view restaurant…i first time eat the salt egg yolk fried crab meat and claypot taufu…unfortunately it also became last time visit the restaurant cuz it had closed down…. the taste really nice till now i still can remember…. I’ve try alot restaurant by calling this two dishes but the taste is like shit…..hmmm i do hope that this time i visit this ah keat …they will bring back the nice taste to me…..

April 10th, 2009 at 9:10 am

Aiseh… this restaurant just behind my hometown house not far away, I used to eat there with family almost everytime went back there. We really like their claypot fish head and siam style mantis prawn.

Kenny Ng´s last blog post..Dubai Trip With Nikon D90

April 13th, 2009 at 10:03 pm
Ami

There have been many complaints about Ah Keat. Local Butterworth people seldom go to Ah Keat. You can find better seafood restaurants at Pantai Bersih, Butterworth. Nice view overlooking the Penang Island, sea breeze, fresh catch of the day from returning fishermen – that’s where one should have their seafood.

April 16th, 2009 at 2:43 pm
TzeFan

Taste good and cheap but have to wait more than an hour during weekend..

April 20th, 2009 at 1:38 pm
Yew

one thing can say is during New Year go there to eat must ask the price before order.
If not your wallet will suffer

June 2nd, 2009 at 6:13 pm
Chin Leong

oh ya, if you want to try seafood, might as well go to Long Xiang (Seafood) Restaurant ????, just right across the street opposite Ah Keat Seafood.

July 11th, 2009 at 3:38 pm
yin

I live in Perai, used to frequent this place a few times last time. This restaurant has a bad reputation, most notably they cutthroat price. I rather go 323 seafood in Bagan..

August 22nd, 2009 at 2:00 am
alex1010

The food is good but the price is not resonable and is very expensive if there is other visitor around(mat salleh).

November 30th, 2009 at 7:13 pm

My favourite dish is still their salted egg crabs. The taste is flavorful and awesome. Brought 2 friends from Singapore few days ago and they love it and said the crabs have made their trip to Penang worthwhile. They can’t find this in Singapore as Singapore only has chilly crabs or black pepper crabs. Penang still beats Singapore in terms of food, he he!

December 26th, 2009 at 2:23 pm
Mark

CK, thanks for the good recommendation on the dishes. Just tried it out last night. Glad I went there (was bringing a guest). She thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Keep up the good (food) job! LOL

January 15th, 2010 at 10:26 pm

CH – I like their crabs too and glad to know your friends love the food too.

Mark – Nice to hear of your outing at Ah Keat.

January 15th, 2010 at 10:56 pm
alice

delicious and quality food in penang!!

October 19th, 2011 at 6:32 pm
camber

Tried the outlet at Times Square. Fish and clams not fresh. Expensive drinks. Avoid at all costs!

May 11th, 2013 at 10:00 pm

1. Lobster Village Seafood Restaurant @ Pantai Bersih | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Apr 26 2009 / 7pm:

[...] the vicinity, you could find Ah Keat Seafood as [...]

2. Khuntai Restaurant - Thai Food in Butterworth, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 09 2009 / 2pm:

[...] Coconut Jelly – 10,722 viewsBulgarian Food – Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant, Penang – 10,252 viewsSeafood at Ah Keat Seafood Restaurant – Raja Uda, Butterworth – 9,954 viewsCoffee Island @ Gurney Drive, Penang – 9,297 viewsIrish Pub & Restaurant, [...]

3. Serdang Fried Porridge @ Restoran Sin Aik Kee | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Feb 18 2010 / 8pm:

[...] texture and had two full bowls of it! Yummy! The taste is slightly different from those I had in Ah Keat Seafood Restaurant and I personally found it more flavorful than Ah Keat’s [...]