The Chowrasta Market is lined with plenty of food stalls selling throughout the morning. There is one particular stall that sells tasty pork innards porridge. If you are a huge fan of chu chap jook which is considered a bizarre food to some people but a delicacy to others, do check out this stall that has been operating for many years.

p1140898_resize.jpg

Warm and comforting bowl of porridge

img_6436_resize.jpg

Garnished with plenty of spring onions

According to the shopowner, the porridge is cooked for hours till the starch breaks down to produce such smooth texture. A bowl of porridge would normally include different types of pig innards such as intestines, spleen, liver, coagulated blood, with added Char Siew and the crispy fried intestines. All this is painstakingly prepared by the owner.

img_6428_resize.jpg

The intestine, fried or fresh is one of the main ingredients of this porridge. Most customers go for the fried intestines (zhar cheong) as they are crunchy. Some even go the extent of ordering an extra serving of this popular item. When soaked in the porridge, the fried intestines get softer and this adds more flavour to the porridge itself…just heavenly.

img_6446_resize.jpg

Business is brisk and the place is amazingly packed with porridge lovers. As sitting places are very limited, I had my seat in front of the stall itself.

img_6448_resize.jpg

Indeed a good breakfast. An ordinary portion of porridge just cost you somewhere between RM2.20 to RM2.50 which is very reasonable. I like chu chap jook, do you like it too or are you squeamish about it?

Click here for the Map Location. It’s on the left hand side of Kuala Kangsar Road if you are walking in from Campbell Street (no vehicles are allow in this road during market hours).

GPS Coordinates : N05 25.093   E100 19.965

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 19th, 2009 at 10:59 pm and is filed under Chinese, George Town, Hawker, Penang, Porridge. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

one of my haunts in Chowrasta..that plc is a gem truly, for food! chap fan, roasted duck..etc

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..7, 8, 9

March 20th, 2009 at 3:51 am

I like pork innards in my Hokkien Mee, but not porridge, haha…

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Spiral Pasta In Carbonara White Sauce

March 20th, 2009 at 8:03 am
One Big Mouth

Hah! Another of my favourite haunt too. You won’t regret if you order “kar liew” for another RM0.50. Crunchy intestines and sweetness of the tongue.
If you understand cantonese, you will enjoy the non chattering of the proprietor while he continously cutting up the ingredients especially if you sit at the stall counter. haha

March 20th, 2009 at 8:27 am
One Big Mouth

typo :- non stop chattering

This place has better and yet cheaper chu chap jook than the afternoon one at New Lane. Nearby, will find a popular keow teow thng stall and a stall that only sells roasted duck (not the duck/chicken/siew yoke rice stalls) at RM26 per bird

March 20th, 2009 at 8:43 am
rebeccalee

CK: did you manage to enjoy the honor of the husband & wife arguing? Hehehe .. I never miss out this stall during my weekend trips to Chowrasta market.

March 20th, 2009 at 8:46 am

far from squeamish …. i like those crispy fried intestines.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..From Hanoi to Halong Bay … One of the 7 Wonders Yet?

March 20th, 2009 at 9:19 am

I like it with the crackling fried intestine or with fresh fish slices with lots of chopped spring onion and coriander leaves

foodbin´s last blog post..RESTORAN UNCLE LIM-FISH BALL

March 20th, 2009 at 9:26 am

Hmm I was still ok reading your post, until I saw the pictures of the raw intestines! Eee… very geli. Haha.. I think the fried version looked better. LOL

iamthewitch´s last blog post..HK Food and Tea restaurant, Ipoh

March 20th, 2009 at 9:41 am

Wow.. Innards! Yummy!

Selba´s last blog post..Tukang Sayur (Vegetable man) and awards

March 20th, 2009 at 10:51 am

thenomadGourmand – Definitely a place with plenty of food to blog about…do visit this market place again.

Little Inbox – Besides having the pork innards in my porridge, I too like it in my hokkien mee too.

One Big Mouth – I was having the best seat in the house, right in the stall counter and that was interesting. Will check out the roast duck.

March 20th, 2009 at 11:06 am

rebeccalee – That morning was very peaceful and no argument lor.

J2Kfm – Those fried intestines were just simply delicious.

foodbin – I could go for your bowl of porridge anytime…

iamthewitch – Each of us have our own liking…at least you still find the fried intestines acceptable.

Selba – Yeah…another food blogger that likes all this items.

March 20th, 2009 at 11:08 am

i love such porridge!!!!

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Mr. Pot Coffee & Toast

March 20th, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Not exactly healthy but I really enjoy a good bowl of chee chap chook with crisp big intestine on top and other parts within.

March 20th, 2009 at 2:07 pm

My fav! Didn’t know there’s this gem of a stall at the morning Chowrasta Market. I usually go to the New Lane stall at nite but it’s getting rather expensive lately. So stingy with the ingredients some more. :( Now I know I have an alternative stall to satisfy my hankering.

Thx again, CK, for your great posts! :D

Eleen´s last blog post..As Good As It Gets

March 20th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

My hubby is a big fan for this but not me. As compared to the one in new lane, which one is better?

lk´s last blog post..Masala chai (Indian tea)

March 20th, 2009 at 11:36 pm

wow!!!! I must try this next time I’m back to Penang!! What is their business hour?

wendy´s last blog post..Raspberry Cheese Cake

March 21st, 2009 at 4:51 am

heheheheh next round you bring us there yah, be in penang in mid april!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..

March 21st, 2009 at 9:25 am
One Big Mouth

I will definitely vote for this over New Lane’s.

My most favourite is that at Madras Lane (back lane parallel to Petaling St) in KL, which come with the usual ingredients plus raw fish slices. Another at Lucky Garden (Bangsar) in KL

March 21st, 2009 at 10:28 am

I dun care about cholesterol when eating this ! :)

cariso´s last blog post..OXO Cafelab FULL menu

March 21st, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I like ZHU Cheong Chuk …..nice… i sued to eat at New Lane one…wanan try this liao..cos this one cheaper

ahKOK´s last blog post..Restoran Peng Yang Chicken Rice, Batu Lanchang

March 21st, 2009 at 5:32 pm
One Big Mouth

Thank you ahKOK for reminding me of the actual name for this dish, “chu cheong jook” instead what I wrote earlier, “chu chap jook” is a different animal altogether. I will give myself a kick in the butt.

March 21st, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I like the one near to Sunway hotel. That one is more expensive but to me, i think it’s worth to pay for it.

My Taste Heaven´s last blog post..New Boston Restaurant (Restoran Boston Baru) @ Klang

March 21st, 2009 at 10:56 pm

i love pork innards porridge, Yummy :)

Food Promotions´s last blog post..Advertorial

March 22nd, 2009 at 9:26 am

New Kid On The Blog, Chin, Eleen – Glad you all like the porridge :)

lk – Both open at different hours, so there is a choice. size is smaller in the market but cheaper and slightly bigger in new lane but very much expensive.

wendy – It’s from early morning till around 10+…until sold out.

Big Boys Oven – No problem…just have to wake up pretty early.

One Big Mouth – Sure lucky to have so many choices over at yr place.

Cariso – Sure boh?

ahKOK – Do try and see if it is to your liking. Its nice of you to introduce another name for it.

My Taste Heaven – I will go and try that stall.

Food Promotions – Sure is yummy… well said.

March 23rd, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Hehe every time I got to the market, everything is sold out! :S My dad used to patronize this stall.

Jian´s last blog post..Penang Jelutong Wan Soon Curry Mee

March 26th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Jian – Wow…lucky girl, get to wake up so late in the morning…haha. Never mind, ask dad to tah pau for you.

March 29th, 2009 at 10:40 pm
Max Weng

That is my little boy’s time breakfast!!! Mmmmmm so yummy of it as u need to wake up earlier in the morning… & oso got wan tan mee in the coffee shop go in front a bit from the stall… goo oso…

April 28th, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Max Weng – Have to be early or else will be sold out in no time.

May 2nd, 2009 at 12:05 am
Henry chan

We are coming to Penang and will surely try this porridge. Use to go to the kwayteow teng shop along the same row. Very crowded.

February 6th, 2012 at 9:08 am

1. What is your favorite colon cleansing system? | Natural Colon Cleansers    Mar 22 2009 / 3am:

[...] Penang Food – Pork Innards Porridge | What2See : Best of Penang Food! [...]

2. Which is your favourite Hawker Food stall in New Lane, Penang? | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 22 2009 / 4pm:

[...] stall is another place for my bowl of Chu Chap Cheok besides the one located in Chowrasta Market. You won’t miss this stall as it is near the entrance of the road and has long strings of char [...]

3. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 6pm:

[...] Pork Innards Porridge @ Chowrasta Market Location: On the left hand side of Kuala Kangsar Road if you are walking in from Campbell Street Business Hours: Morning Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/03/penang-food-pork-innards-porridge/ [...]