Heavenly Chinese Roast Meat can be found at Sky and Star in Penang.

One of my favorite stall would be the one located on the ground floor of Sky Hotel on Chulia Street which is known for its high number of budget hotels and small cafes. You could easily spot  this blue-ish building with the stall ‘WAI KEE’ right in the front entrance which is a few doors down from Ecco Cafe.

Here you will find delicious assorted roast meat. Ordering comes in individual servings or in individual plate with an assortment of your favourite choice of meat. The good stuff that I usually order is the Siew Yoke, Siew Cheong and Char Siew. The Siew Yoke has a very crispy skin and also the right amount of salty flavor.

img_3793.jpg
Who can resist the succulent Siew Yoke!

img_3791_resize.jpg
Superbly honey sweetened Siew Cheong

You should not miss out the Char Siew as they are not ‘reddish hot’ in colour, similar to those sold in most places around town.

img_3776_resize.jpg
Beautiful cut of Siew Yoke, Char Siew & Bak Cheet Gai

Personally, I am very particular when it comes to choosing the meat. My choice of Char Siew would always be the pun fei sau (half fats and half thin) and best if it is slightly burnt.

img_3785.jpg

Beautifully marbled Char Siew

This meaty lunch definitely needs some greens and Wai Kee has its signature dish of blanched Yau Choy Sum for their customers. They do serve the sai yeong choy (watercress) soup, however it comes at a price as it comes with boiled meat as well. Do try and go early as the crowd gets larger in the peak hours.

img_3782_resize.jpg

p1040054_resize.jpg

Sky Cafe
348 Chulia Street
Penang

Business Hour : 11.30am – 2.30pm

GPS Coordinates : N5 2507.6   E100 2006.7

******

Done with the “sky”, lets take a look at the Star! :D The Star Cafe along Carnavon Street houses a stall that sells delicious and flavourful roast meat. The speciality from this stall is the Siew Ngap (roast duck), and IMHO the texture of the duck meat is very soft and tender.

img_0510.jpg

The chili sauce and the thick gravy that compliment the duck was very tasty too. On top of the roast duck, there is also Roast Chicken and Siew Yok! Unfortunately this place do not sell Siew Cheong as the taukeh has stop doing a few years back due to work load. For those who were lucky to have tasted it would definitely know that their Siew Cheong was superbly delicious.

img_0518_resize.jpg

img_0507_resize.jpg

All their serving of rice comes with the warm and flavorful light gravy.

Free soup are available at this place. At times you get to drink lou wong kua (old cucumber) soup and on other days, you get the choy korn (dried vegetable) soup.

img_0511_resize.jpg

The prices here are considered slightly more reasonable with a bigger portion as compared to those in Sky. If you like to have it whole, a roast duck cost around RM 38.

img_0496_resize.jpg

Jit Seng Roast Duck
Star Cafe
246 Carnovan Street/ Jalan Cheong Fatt Tze
Penang

Business Hour : 12.00pm – 3pm

GPS Coordinates: N 5 24.865   E 100 20.015

Closed : Public Holidays

***

I definitely recommend the above two places to those who wants to grab some excellent roast meat (coffee shop style). Their prices are reasonable and the portions are worth the price, while the quality of roast meats are definitely one of the best in Penang. Of course there are others who would prefer to dine in comfort, and you could perhaps head over to Canton-i.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, May 18th, 2009 at 10:43 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Penang, Roast Meat. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Kaya MeeKoo

Oh CK… I miss the Sky Cafe char siew so much!!! I haven’t had that for a long, long time! Never seem to get there at 11:30pm and I’m always deterred by the wait.

May 18th, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Hahaha… This always my favorite… yum yum… 1 thing have to wait for so long… anyway, worth for it…

Mabel´s last blog post..Busy busy busy

May 19th, 2009 at 12:00 am

They are my hubby’s favourite. He will be very happy to hear about it. I only eat them moderately. ;)

May 19th, 2009 at 12:10 am
Kaqi Hung

Good char siew but if you want to order extra or tapau back, he won’t sell you. I go to Paya Terubong Lam Fatt besides the cemetry, the char siew is not bad also,but you can tapau 2kg no problem.

May 19th, 2009 at 6:45 am

this is my hubby’s favourite,… but then I find that there too many pigeons around.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Everyday Supreme Restaurant ????? on Mother’s Day

May 19th, 2009 at 8:22 am

sinfully tasty roasted stuff…the roasted duck look so good….is take away equally good?

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Macau Day 2- Part 2

May 19th, 2009 at 9:18 am

nowadays, siew cheong is quite a rarity- any duck wrapped feet in this shop?
A friend told me that roast duck can be bought for only Rm18/ in Kulim-is it true?

foodbin´s last blog post..NEW WORLD PARK FOOD COURT.

May 19th, 2009 at 9:37 am

Wow, the roast duck looked heavenly! And the siew yoke… oh well, my parents are asking me to avoid pork for now due to the swine flu. So I guess no more siew yoke for me now.

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Sushi Tomo at SS2

May 19th, 2009 at 9:59 am

both of this coffee shops are always crowded with people.. :P
This already proof how taste the roasted meat served huh..

allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Balik Pulau Laksa (Laksa Marathon Part III)

May 19th, 2009 at 10:05 am

ohhhhh, roasted meat galore!!!! ya know, all the dishes above go well with rice. perfect for lunch! and dinner. heck, i’ll do supper with it as well! ;D

Nic (KHKL)´s last blog post..Haji Kadir & M. Baharudeen Sup Tulang

May 19th, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Kaya MeeKoo – Next trip, must plan your timing well for this yummy roast meat.

Mabel – Tasty food is always worth waiting.

food-4tots – Can get some for him on your next visit.

Kaqi Hung – Will sure to try out Lam Fatt…thanks for sharing.

New Kid On The Blog – Some can be seen at the Star Cafe.

SimpleGirl – They taste just as good.

foodbin – This shop do not sell those specialty…I used to get those from KL. I am not too sure about those sold in Kulim.

iamthewitch – I think many people are doing that nowadays. Things will get back to normal soon.

allie – Especially on weekends.

Nic (KHKL) – Totally agree with me…supper sounds good with those flavorful meat.

May 19th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Everything looks so delicious! You really make me hungry, CK ;)

May 19th, 2009 at 7:15 pm

ah sky hotel char siew!! definitely my favourite char siew!!! yumm!!!

May 19th, 2009 at 10:10 pm

oh so that’s the SKY cafe. i rmbr this place was crowded the time i passed by.
the siew cheong looks very promising, glistening, caramelized sides.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Fullpann Steak House @ Seri Manjung, Perak

May 19th, 2009 at 10:47 pm
jonfoo

The best in town!!! 4 thumb UP!!! He have a very good memory coz there is no jumping Q. All is on first come first serve basis. His roast duck is finger licking good…yummy yummy…

May 20th, 2009 at 1:16 am

Man, that looks all soooo good, especially the siew yoke.

BTW, you get “swine flu” from other humans, not from eating pigs.

Nate´s last blog post..Garlic Cheddar Polenta with Shrimp and Asparagus

May 20th, 2009 at 6:00 am

Wow ! Excellent recommendation for full blooded carnivores ! So unPenang !

So like BSG !

backstreetgluttons´s last blog post..when the kids & the dunno what 2 eat

May 20th, 2009 at 2:21 pm

They all look sinfully good!!

mimid3vils´s last blog post..Dragon-i Restaurant

May 20th, 2009 at 4:44 pm

The porky and ducky looks very juicy. Will give it a try.

Do bookmark our new site : http://www.foodpromotions.com.my

Food Promotions´s last blog post..Advertorial

May 20th, 2009 at 9:27 pm

The roast pork and duck looks tempting.

Not2Eat´s last blog post..Sharing Yucky Food

May 20th, 2009 at 10:09 pm

CK, you make Penang like a magnet to a lot of people , including me !

Bakeling´s last blog post..???????? – Mongolian Palm Fiber Handicrafts

May 20th, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Selby – Me too…keep looking at the food while adding this comment…haha

lingzie – Time for a revisit?

J2Kfm – The siew cheong is one of the better ones in town.

jonfoo – Just have to sit and wait patiently…every order runs accordingly.

Nate – Thanks for sharing the info!

backstreetgluttons – They have some greens too…choy sum to go with the meat.

mimid3vils – Just as tasty too!

Food Promotions – Try to be there before the crowd gets in.

Not2Eat – That’s why it is crowded most of the time.

Bakeling – North pole attract the South Pole…haha

May 20th, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Looks so tempting! Will try it when I’m back to Penang.

FoodnTravella´s last blog post..PAPA JOHNS

May 21st, 2009 at 12:27 pm

gimme tht Siew Cheong! and tht duck looks soooo succelent. I miss miss the duck brown gravy..and the green chilli tht comes w duck rice..

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Butter me all over…

May 21st, 2009 at 2:43 pm

awesome! awesome! awesome!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..CHARCOAL BAMBOO ROULEAU | BIG BOYS OVEN SWEET DESSERT

May 21st, 2009 at 4:28 pm
Timmy

This is the FIRST thing i want to eat when i get back !!! :D

May 21st, 2009 at 6:04 pm

when ever i saw the big crowds standing besides the sky’s hotel stall, like bees to honey. i would go for other option. geee…incredible crowds.

gill gill´s last blog post..Penang Street Food-Ah Hai Koay Teow Th’ng at Kimberley Street

May 21st, 2009 at 8:51 pm

FoodnTravella – If I am not wrong, you do have a long list of Penang food that you wish to eat…haha

thenomadGourmand – Do spend more days during your Penang trip so can eat more of hawker food.

Big Boys Oven – Must eat at this place the next round.

Timmy – Be there early!

gill gill – That’s why I try to go early, around 11.30am. Just have to sit and wait for a short while, then can makan.

May 22nd, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Oooh I didn’t know we can choose which part of char siew we want :P Pun fei sau meat is softer and smoother. I’ve only been there once too many ppl…

Jian´s last blog post..Penang Georgetown – Invited Review at Jade Palace Seafood Restaurant

May 22nd, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Jian – You can request for it…not guarantee to get it everytime…:)

ck lam´s last blog post..Penang Food – Hock Chuan Heong, Macallum Flat

May 26th, 2009 at 2:47 pm
Girly

Sky Cafe char siew is my favourite. Just too bad that they will not sell extra char siew to me if I want to ta bao home….. :(

May 28th, 2009 at 8:43 am

1. Malaysian Kueh - Penang Nyonya Kuih | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 22 2009 / 4pm:

[...] cater for all occasions and functions too. Click here for the Map Location. The shop is just behind Sky Cafe, famous for their roast [...]

2. Penang Food - Braised Beef Noodle and Hainanese Satay | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 29 2009 / 7pm:

[...] Food – Hock Chuan Heong, Macallum Flat — Croatian Cuisine @ Dubrovnik Solaris Mont Kiara — Penang Food – Sky & Star Cafe — Penang Food – Traditional Penang Porridge — New Corner Lok Lok @ Wai Sek Kai — Eccucino @ [...]

3. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 08 2010 / 6pm:
  4. Duck Rice (Pei Pa Duck) and Assorted Meat at Lorong Susu, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Mar 16 2010 / 8pm:

[...] First Famous Restaurant in the narrow Lorong Susu is one of the well known places in Penang for its good variety of roast meat particularly it’s Pei Pa Duck. My family does frequent this place for its different selection of roast besides those from Sky & Star Cafe. [...]