Jun

Food Trail in Muar, Johor

Posted by: CK Lam   in Johor, Muar, Otak Otak, Restaurant

On one of my recent Kuala Lumpur trips, a few of us paid a visit to the district of Muar in Johor which is also known as “Mar Poh” in Cantonese. We went to explored the town and had a light breakfast before we paid a visit to Octhavia, a factory which produced the town gourmet specialty, the otak-otak (pounded and seasoned shrimp/fish paste).

img_1697.jpg

Nothing can beat this fresh otak-otak right off the stove!

This local delicay is wrapped in nipah leaves (palm leaves) and best eaten grilled. All of us really enjoyed unwrapping the slightly burnt pack and snacking of them! The otak-otak itself is very much different; as it is firmer and does not have the strong aroma of herbs as compared to the Penang steamed otak-otak. It is very tasty, slightly spicy and very addictive.

p1150334.jpg

We were then given an introduction of the products from this factory, especially their core product – Otak-otak and other range. Many of you may have already came across this product as it is stocked in their pre-packaged packs, and it is available in all Jusco supermarkets nationwide!

p1150330.jpg

p1150329.jpg

A really enjoyable snack enriched with Omega 3 as well!

p1150336.jpg

Otak-otak Pau? Amazing!

p1150338.jpg

Fried Otak-Otak Nugget & Otak-Otak Spring Roll

IMG_1717 IMG_1727

Trying out fried and steamed Otak-otak Pau for the first time!

IMG_1700 IMG_1699

Snapshots of the factory surroundings and machinery

From the factory in the bustling town, we took a detoured and took a long drive for lunch at a restaurant in a quiet fishing village. It is a great relaxing place away from the city where we get to enjoy breath taking view of the sea, very much similar to my outing at Restaurant Tepi Sungai near to Taiping.

img_1788.jpg

View of the fishing boats

img_1778.jpg

All of us got settle down and fill our stomach at Straits View Restaurant

We had the famous Assam Pedas Fish, Fried Oyster, Clams, Fried Flat Fish, Fried Taugeh and the Assam Pedas Fish Head. The assam pedas fish and the fish head comes in the same rich red gravy without any vegetables. It’s spicy hot, slightly sour and sweet and very popular among the Muarians! Indeed a twist from the usual ones we get in Penang.

img_1762_0.jpg

IMG_1772 IMG_1760

IMG_1767 IMG_1765

img_1757.jpg

Refreshing coconut drinks in the hot afternoon, to top the lunch!

A trip down to Muar, or any where infact, will not be complete without some sight seeing and learning more about the new town. We took some time out for sight seeing, and went around snapping snapping with our cameras.

img_1792.jpg

img_1785.jpg

Most houses has extended long TV antenna, maybe to get Singapore TV?

IMG_1677 IMG_1676

Heritage building in the middle of the town

Before we head back up to KL, we managed to have a final stop at Kedai Kopi Sai Kee 434 located in Jalan Maharani for a cup of their famous coffee. There were cold and hot coffee drinks together with a few sets of Hainan roti.

img_1675.jpg IMG_1842

Thank you to Octhavia for taking us in and also to Sidney for arranging this trip for us. It was a wonderful food trip with Christopher, Ken, Sunny, Sidney, Jocel, Lingzie, hubby and myself.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, June 20th, 2009 at 2:57 pm and is filed under Johor, Muar, Otak Otak, Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

I think the otak-otak is different with Penang. I still feel our Penang steam otak-otak is the best.

Hojiak´s last blog post..Ai Yu Bing ( ??? – ?? )

June 20th, 2009 at 4:00 pm

OMG!!!! You rock la!!!!! All the way down to Muar, Johor??!! You’re my new idol!! :D

NKOTB´s last blog post..Seventies 70′s Latin Coffea

June 20th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Love all your photos, especially the heritage buildings. The otak-otak packaging gave me a good idea, can actually ask my parents to mail them to me in uk. ^^

Sugar Bean´s last blog post..Masa Japanese Restaurant (?)

June 20th, 2009 at 10:08 pm
soo sean

I still remember buying those packed otak-otak back. Sometimes I will crave for it. If I were to know you are going, perhaps I have requested for delivery. :p

June 20th, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Hojiak – Each of them is totally different. I enjoyed both. One has more herbs and softer texture compared to the other.

NKOTB – It will be great getting you to join in the future outings too :)

Sugar Bean – That sounds interesting.

soo sean – Will sure to get back some for you if I do visit Muar again.

June 20th, 2009 at 11:50 pm
Muarian girl

There are many more good foods in Muar apart from Otak-Otak. What i miss most will definitely be the Dried Mee Poh (or pan mee here), Curry Laksa, Char Keow Teow, rojak etc…
I will agree Penang Char Keow Teow is better but when comes to Otak Otak, Muar’s is the best :)

June 21st, 2009 at 12:44 am

BTW I love your blog!

June 21st, 2009 at 2:42 am

Nvr did fancy the Muar’s otak otak ;) but I’ve been dying to try their Briyani! Also antr thing called kacang poh or something..

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Santini, Tropicana Mall

June 21st, 2009 at 5:20 am

I too, love the Muar otak-otak more than the Penang’s version, for the lighter in herbs flavour, as well as the omission (or lesser use) of serai.

very nice crawl, CK. wished I followed that day though …. :)

June 21st, 2009 at 9:53 am

Muarian girl – Looks like need another trip to Muar to try out all the food. Thanks for dropping by my food blog.

thenomadGourmand – Will keep in view the briyani and kacang poh on my future trip…thanks.

J2Kfm – The Muar version of otak-otak is only sold in the southern part…would be nice if they were to bring it up north too.
Will inform you of more food crawls :)

June 21st, 2009 at 11:35 am

wow what an exciting and tummy-filling food trip!! Now you’ve conquered peninsular Malaysia!! :D

June 21st, 2009 at 11:50 am

Looking back at the picture having phobia in eating otak otak already. That day alone was the day which I had the most otak otak in 1 day. hehehe Somehow they really taste good!

email2me´s last blog post..Restoran 2008 Snow Beer – Beer in Slurpee style

June 21st, 2009 at 2:25 pm

You’ve totally changed my mind about Johor, ever the poor crime filled cousin of Singapore! Did you guys manage to try the lontong?

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Meals at Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort

June 21st, 2009 at 4:11 pm

aah can’t wait to blog about this awesome trip!

christock´s last blog post..Runway 101

June 21st, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Wow! what a great outing and so many varieties of otak otak. Will look out for these in Jusco.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..Want Some Loh Mai Kai…?

June 21st, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Otak-otak Pau?!
cool…the Muar Version of Shao Pau?
what a great outing!

June 21st, 2009 at 10:05 pm

buzzingbee – Indeed a wonderful trip for all of us down in Muar. Would be nice if the Penang food bloggers would get together for such food trips.

email2me – The otak-otak is tasty. All of us really enjoyed eating it…there were so many leaf wrapper left by us…haha

550ml jar of faith – Lontong?…sounds great. Will sure to add it into the food list for the next outing. Thanks Min!

christock – Waiting for your review and the great video too.

Sweet Jasmine – This is my first time coming across so many varieties. Do try it if you get hold of it in Jusco supermarket.

Modo Alimentare – Can’t imagine that they can come out with pau having otak-otak filling…and they taste good.

June 21st, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Interesting otak-otak products!

YuNiq´s last blog post..High Tea at Makanan Traditional Taiwan (Yong He Dou Jiang)

June 21st, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Wau, Otak Otak Pau, what a good try….

Penang TuaPui´s last blog post..Kampung Baru Poh Poh Seafood

June 22nd, 2009 at 11:10 am

this post reminds me of the wonderful otak-otak pau!! must go to our jusco and see can find or not. :)

lingzie´s last blog post..Maa Roy Thai Food Authentic Thai Cuisine @ Abu Siti Lane

June 22nd, 2009 at 11:19 am

I prefer the fresh otak2 to the pre pack ones.
nice place for seafood, too!

foodbin´s last blog post..DELICIOUS DINNER 18

June 22nd, 2009 at 11:20 am

With your experienced City tastebuds, we are sure the countryside much lower cost local specialties ( also more authentic?) make a wonderful feast !

That is the relaxing benefit of travel and eat for yourself what others talk about.

backStreetGluttons´s last blog post..feeling blue

June 22nd, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I luv their food esp the famous otak-otak. Your photos are making me drooling again!!!

food-4tots´s last blog post..Invited Food Review at Ko-Fu-Loft (Penang) – Part I

June 22nd, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Please click

June 22nd, 2009 at 9:46 pm

wow it was something we will share, experience and something to treasure, it was awesome! from car fighting to undesire food! lol!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..PENANG BAKING CLASSES – 27th & 28th JUNE

June 23rd, 2009 at 6:43 pm

YuNiq – Very innovative…can come out with so many ideas.

Penang TuaPui – Indeed an interesting pau filling. Do try it out.

lingzie – Do let me know when you come across the otak-otak pau. Waiting to see your review of this trip too.

foodbin – Do visit Muar with your family, plenty of food to try out.

BackStreetGluttons – Indeed a wonderful change in flavor of food.

food-4tots – The otak-otak is so popular that they are sold at most of the food eateries.

Big Boys Oven – That was a fun food outing. Would be nice to have more of these type of trip.

June 24th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

When we pg floggers gonna have such food trip uh?! :)

cariso´s last blog post..Miraku G-Hotel Set Dinner

June 27th, 2009 at 12:48 am

Yep, muar otak-otak is the best. I’ve tried otak – otak from different states and have to admit that muar serve the best otak-otak.

Mindy´s last blog post..Hong Kong Dim Sum @ Uptown, Damansara Utama

June 28th, 2009 at 5:21 pm
michelle

i am from johor….for your information,all these food are really……nice!die die mst try!!

July 13th, 2010 at 9:07 pm
zainol mohamed ali

Hi, where is this octhavia otak factory or outlet?
Can’t seem to find it in the net.

August 9th, 2012 at 3:13 pm