Taking a break from all the food for once, and indulging in some of the best fruits Penang has to offer!

It is always a good time to visit Penang and especially now when the great durian season is on. Just imagine going on a makan trip in Penang to feast on the King of Fruits, Durian! Our family just loves the thorny spikes durian with its strong pungent aromatic flesh. There are numerous stalls in town. Recently I took my aunt and uncle who came for a visit from Singapore to try out the durian at one of the popular stall, Penang Ah Teik Durian Stall. This stall is located right beside the Sun Yat Sen building in Lorong Susu/Mccalister Road.

img_3574.jpg

img_3538.jpg

A giant seed with creamy thick flesh

Their spread of fruits not only include the Durian, there are also choices of mangosteen, longkong (a variation of the Langsat) and the popular durian kuih. Conveniently, there are few tables set up beside the area with some shade for their customers to savour the durian on the spot!

img_3545.jpg

This durian comes kidney shaped, unique indeed!

Next on the list was the soft and spiky looking rambutan with the translucent white flesh which is very sweet and refreshing. The variety that we had was the ‘yar bak’. Malaysian’s are really blessed with plenty of fruits all year round, and this one is no different.

p1150491.jpg

Rambutan with yar bak (crunchy flesh) that is easily removed from the seed

p1150475.jpg

Longkong – a fruit almost similar to the Duku Langsat

Legend has it that mangosteens have a cooling effect which would counter balance the heatiness of the Durian. Therefore, it is recommended to have some mangosteen together with the durian. This round purplish fruit is usually sold in a bunch. The fruit is sweet and refreshing, which may come to a surprise to many who never tried before.

p1150482.jpg

Mangosteens – just the right fruit to go with Durians

Getting durians in Ah Teik stall is so convenient. Just let them know your preference and the durian experts will choose the type of durians for you. You get to see them smelling and tapping the durians and even sliding their knife into the fruit. Furthermore, any spoilt durians will be replaced by the storekeeper automatically, while his expertise in picking the right one for you will have you finger-licking in no time!

img_3563.jpg

The eight of us had around seven durians, some mangosteen, longkong and it cost us approximately RM130. Ah Teik even supplied a washing area for us after our feast, together with complementary mineral water for our thirsty throats as well.

img_3566.jpg

p1150486.jpg

Delectable, sweet flavor – aromatic flesh best enjoyed then and there

img_3543.jpg

Creamy texture – you won’t go wrong with the Durian

img_3539.jpg

There are times when you can’t afford the time to sit around at the stall, do not worry! You can just inform them that you would like to take it back home, and with a few swift moves, your durian is ready for ‘ta pau’! The fruit is removed from the spiky shell and pack into clean boxes. It is much more convenient then cutting and handling the durian ourselves in our own kitchen floor.

img_3558.jpg

Price list of many varieties of durians available at Ah Teik Stall – I never knew there was SO MANY! :)

Penang Ah Teik Durian Stall
Lorong Susu
10400 Penang

Tel : 012 4383881 & 016 4158579

GPS Coordinates : N 05 24.961   E 100 19.465

Click here for the Map Location

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, June 5th, 2009 at 11:00 pm and is filed under Durian, George Town, Hawker, Penang. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

ah!!I miss the durians and mangkis !! gorgeous!!

adel´s last blog post..Aglio e Olio Penne

June 5th, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Hmmm… durian?! :(

June 6th, 2009 at 10:20 am
Kelvyn Yeoh

CK Lam : teluk bahang roundabout a malay stall on right side selling durians,manggis, rambutan very very cheap hehehe… can get 3-4 durians at a price of rm12-rm15. look for Pak dollah but of coz cannot compare to those b52 etc:.

Town area durian can burn our pocket kekeke

June 6th, 2009 at 12:48 pm

adel – Now I remember the malay word for mangosteen…thanks.

NKOTB – You sound a bit down…don’t you like durian?

Kelvyn Yeoh – It was nice of you dropping in. Thanks for sharing the info…definitely like to venture to teluk bahang :)

June 6th, 2009 at 3:16 pm
ken

open at night? XD am a big fan of durian

June 6th, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I luv durian. Just went for a durian hunt at Air Itam.

food-4tots´s last blog post..Japanese eggplants with sweet and sour sauce

June 6th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I miss home!!

pigpigscorner´s last blog post..Green Bean Omelette

June 6th, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Reading this post really reminds me how home sick I am right now, love durians and mangosteens a lot. Can’t imagine how much I miss them…

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. :)

Sugar Bean´s last blog post..Station Kopitiam

June 6th, 2009 at 8:49 pm

aiyoh have not taken durian this season yet. But had lots of mangosteen!!! Will I get over-cooling?? hehehe

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Hawker food @ Kampung Malabar, Penang Road

June 6th, 2009 at 9:01 pm

hot weather is good for durians…your photos of those luscious flesh of durians really make me urge for it. Penang famos for its ang hae durian…haha now got so many varieties….XO taste also got…mmmm lau nua only :P

Elin´s last blog post..Mango With Honey Sauce Dipping

June 6th, 2009 at 11:34 pm
Kelvyn

Now its the time to make durian rice hehe… yummy

June 7th, 2009 at 12:40 pm
Penang Tionghua

Some good durian stalls are found inside Batu Lancang Market (beside IJM flats) and at the junction of Jelutong Road/Jelutong Market.

Durians must give out the ‘hung’ (pulling taste). That’s where the Thai durians are lacking although look big and beautiful.

Normally, Teluk Bahang (Penang), Taiping (Perak) and Tanjung Sepat (Kuala Langat, Selangor) durians have that pull.

Try out ‘kucing tidur’ durians at Tanjung Sepat. It’s taste is great!

June 7th, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Love all these tropical kind of fruits! And yes, durian is my favorite one though I don’t dare to eat more than one coz’ it makes my body temperature high….

Selby´s last blog post..Tukang Bakpao (Buns man)

June 7th, 2009 at 6:47 pm

I’d go for rambutan and mangosteen A big no no for durian, haha~

June 7th, 2009 at 11:30 pm

gorgeous photos!

saf´s last blog post..Mud Cakes

June 8th, 2009 at 9:41 am

lovely, lovely durian, my fav…even though is not good to eat too much ( high in sugar, n heaty)….but cannot resist la….

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Papa John’s & Krispy Kreme

June 8th, 2009 at 12:11 pm
sweety

hai , goto balik pulau eat durian , here hv many durian can choose

June 8th, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Durian looks good .. but I’m not a big fan though. used to love it but now not so anymore. don’t know why also.

Duckie´s last blog post..Flower Fest 2009

June 8th, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Hey, chanced upon your site and absolutely love it! All the delicious food in Penang, and yummy photos. I’m adding you to my blog roll!

Camemberu´s last blog post..Dim Sum Day 3: Si Chuan Dou Hua

June 8th, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I love the 3rd pic… so cute! And I just had me some nice durians last weekend! Yums! :)

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..Heavensent

June 8th, 2009 at 7:24 pm

ken – They are open till the night.

food-4tots – Sounds yummylicious…

pigpigscorner – There are still plenty of durian around for now…maybe last for another month or so.

Sugar Bean – I can imagine…it’s difficult to resist the durians.

buzzingbee – I don’t think so…just keep it moderate, should be ok.

June 8th, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Elin – I am sure there are plenty of varieties too in your place. Happy eating!

Kelvyn – Sounds yummy but have not eaten it before.

Penang Tionghua – Good info…will keep it as my reference…thanks.

Selby – That is where the cool mangosteen comes in. Many people do take it after eating the durians.

allie – You are one of the very few that do not like durians…

saf – Thank you. Hope to see you posting more, update your blog frequently ya…

June 8th, 2009 at 8:40 pm

i want it and i want it right now :(

christock´s last blog post..Mist Club Exclusive Grand Launch vs Zouk’s 5th Anniversary Blast!

June 9th, 2009 at 1:20 am

SimpleGirl – We only get to enjoy eating it only a few times in a year…must makan sikit-sikit la.

sweety – Will sure to visit the place during the weekend.

Duckie – It does happen.

Camemberu – It is my pleasure having you dropping by my blog. Thanks for the add, I have done the same too.

Life for Beginners – Since you are also a durian lover, I will take you to makan durian when you come up to Penang during the fruit season.

christock – So when are you coming up to visit me? There are still plenty of fruits right now.

June 9th, 2009 at 11:15 am

what is the name of the durian of the first photo?

foodbin´s last blog post..ZONG MENG RESTAURANT-2

June 9th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Here is my definition of durian……Durian is like a sin. You know you will get into trouble if you have too much of it and yet you still fantasize about it when every moment you are not eating it

Alan´s last blog post..Invite: Te Chang You Tiao Wang

June 10th, 2009 at 12:53 am

foodbin – There were just too many varieties around that I even lost track of which is which…haha. Busy snapping away and eating…

Alan – Totally agree with your definition for the king of fruits. I want to eat more of the durian now.

June 10th, 2009 at 2:07 pm

missing the durian season in Malaysia..huhuhu..craving for the smell and the taste..

Hong´s last blog post..A BluSky Holiday

June 10th, 2009 at 6:49 pm
seetha

very great website. looking for 1 like this long time. am frm penang yet i dunno many good restaurant in island. ur web really help me out. tq. keep up the good job !!! -good day-

June 11th, 2009 at 10:05 pm
Leoking

Just received this email from a friend. For those durian lovers, eat as much as you can till you cant walk..haha:~

GRASSROOT ORGANIC OCHARD “CRAZY DURIAN BUFFET”
TIME:
May – July
Daily Session: 11.30am , 4.30pm
(Ochard tour will be provided upon request)
PRICE:
RM15/adult , RM8/child under 12(No Limit for Selected Quality
Durian)
RM25/adult, RM14/child under 12(2 type of Champion Durian +
Unlimited Quality Durian)
CONTACT:
193, MK1, Bukit Kechil, Sungai Pinang,
Balik Pulau, 11000 Penang.
Call to Confirm & Order : Mei Shy 012-5536898/ Sook Hwa
PS: We also sell local fruits eg mangosten, rambutan, nangka,
cempedak, duku, langsat etc
??????“???????”

June 13th, 2009 at 8:31 am
Angie

I bought their mangoesteen (last year) and turned out none is good. Feel cheated and very disappointed.. Wouldn’t visit their store again.

June 13th, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Please click

June 22nd, 2009 at 9:48 pm
MiltonQ

Hi CK, It there any opportunity of sampling some local durians this September? I’m visiting Penang next week.

That is quite slim as most of the places do not have it. Anyway, do look out at the stall along Macalister Road. You might be lucky to see it but chances that they are from another state.

Have a nice holiday in Penang :)

September 3rd, 2010 at 2:50 pm

1. Penang Hawker Food - Kek Seng Ice Kacang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 15 2009 / 5pm:

[...] cream has a slightly grainy texture and very flavorful. It is available all-year round unlike the fresh durians which is only available at certain time of the [...]

2. Balik Pulau Durian Farm Visit - Pondok Upeh | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 15 2010 / 5pm:

[...] those who do not wish to travel all the way to Balik Pulau, you can easily get the durians from Penang Ah Teik Durian Stall. This stall is conveniently located right beside the Sun Yat Sen building in Lorong Susu/Mccalister [...]