Jul

Penang Food – Tai Buan Porridge

Posted by: CK Lam   in George Town, Hawker, Penang, Porridge, Teochew

Penang has a number of stall selling porridge and one particular stall that is worth mentioning is the Tai Buan Porridge. It is housed in a shoplot on Muntri Street serving good rice porridge and side dishes. This Teochew style porridge is very popular and most of the customers are back for return visits.

Braised duck, liver and gizzard

Comfort food – Porridge served in clay bowl

The steamy rice porridge comes with a few different types of yummy side dishes. The owner has been sticking to just the few variety of dishes since I begin patronized his place many years ago. This braised pot has taukua, pork innards and pork belly.

A pot of braised ingredients

Irresistible fried egg with dried turnip (Chai Po)

The preserved slated vegetable (Ham Choy) is a notable dish here. The sweet and sour taste makes one consume more porridge. It has the right balance of taste and I can’t seem to find a better one than this anywhere else in town.

Preserved salted vegetable – must order

Braised duck meat

Braised pork belly

Simple braised tofu dish

This dish of pig’s ear is braised in flavorful soy sauce and spices. The skin is soft and the white cartilage (soft bone) is still crunchy. It’s nice to chew on and best eaten with the sweet chili sauce.

The meat taste good with the chili sauce

I have the liking to the taste and softness of the duck liver and also the chewy gizzard.

We reorder bowls of porridge. Do ask for a bowl of porridge broth….known as ‘armp’ in hokkien. This fragrant bowl of starchy porridge broth is indeed stomach soothing.

All the dishes here come in one size and you have to reorder for additional serving. The satisfying simple meal with salty, sweet and soy sauce flavor was good and cost RM26. This is the perfect place for a quick rice porridge with side dishes around town.

If you wish to take away the porridge, do bring along your food canister as the owner does not provide plastic bags…indeed environment friendly. Click here for the Map Location. Muntri Street is located directly opposite Cititel Hotel in Upper Penang Road.

Tai Buan Porridge
173 Muntri Street
Penang

Business Hour : 1.30pm – 8pm

Closed on Sunday

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 9th, 2009 at 6:40 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Penang, Porridge, Teochew. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Oh! this what I call my type of porridge! so many dishes to pick and come in tapas style! I just love this, Teo Chew style! If I want to take away I will remember to bring my food canister!:) The braised duck just look perfecto!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..Raspberry Milk Chocolate Cake – Big Boys Oven Sweet Dessert

July 9th, 2009 at 8:13 pm
Lysanne

I LOOOOOOVE this place… one of my fav hunting place for Lor Armp.. and moi..
I tagged bout it in my facebook few months back.. yum yum!!!

July 9th, 2009 at 11:45 pm

yes yes..alws sold out very fast! And no ta-paus! My dad alws come here to eat. Sun not open some more! ggrrr.!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..The month that was June 2009, PART III

July 10th, 2009 at 8:36 am

yum! simple yet really comforting. its been so long since i last had porridge with braised duck. the ‘armp’ is really something that i have never tried before. do u think all the porridge sellers will have it?

xin´s last blog post..The Wok Cafe (Penang Nyoya and Local Cuisine) @ The Strand,Kota Damansara

July 10th, 2009 at 9:46 am

my dad will so love this type of food.

July 10th, 2009 at 10:25 am

Oh thanks for sharing… I have not been really adventurous in food hunting. :)
Now I know where to go for lunch… ;p

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Home Cooked Deep Fried Egg

July 10th, 2009 at 11:13 am

Big Boys Oven – On yr next trip, we go and eat at this place…no need to tau-pau :)

Lysanne – The food sure is tasty and not very salty too.

thenomadGourmand – I think so far, this is the only hawker that don’t do ta-paus.

xin – Not many sellers will served that upfront but do ask…

Duckie – Then should bring him there to try it.

New Kid On The Blog – Take note that the lunch hour is a bit late…around 1.30pm.

July 10th, 2009 at 11:51 am

Oh this looks so comforting! Chai Po Egg! The best with porridge! With pork belly and kiam chai.. irresistible!! I could have about 4 bowls of porridge!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Sardines to the rescue, on a scorching Penang afternoon!

July 10th, 2009 at 12:49 pm

wow 550ml jar of faith, I respect you as you can wallop 4bowls of porridge! :)

July 10th, 2009 at 8:32 pm

i think this might be a great place for my mum and dad!

thanks for sharing and have a happy foodie weekend~~~

My Taste Heaven´s last blog post..Kampachi @ Equatorial Hotel, Penang

July 10th, 2009 at 9:10 pm

550ml jar of faith – Haha…looks like you can break my record of 3 bowls of porridge.

My Taste Heaven – Another new makan place for your parents to try out.
Hope you have an enjoyable weekend too :)

July 11th, 2009 at 8:19 am

porridge is my comfort food-braised duck looks delicious and the rare chai poh (preserved Radish)-yummy!

foodbin´s last blog post..LOR MAI FUN (GLUTINOUS RICE)-STALL NO:42 KAMPAR MORNING FOOD COURT.

July 11th, 2009 at 8:50 am

This afternoon just watched “Taste With Jason”, the episode that introduce a famous restaurant selling Teow Chew Moi in Melaka. Lots off ppl love porridge, including me.

Little Inbox´s last blog post..Boost Juice Bars

July 11th, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I once eaten this type of food in Bukit Jambul opp. the Mall. Taste not to my liking. Quite gamey. But always enjoy a bowl of plain porridge with some soy-based sauces.

Chin´s last blog post..Jinjang Fish Head – Taman Bukit Bintang, Kepong

July 12th, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Yes, this is the very traditional style, I like it!

cariso´s last blog post..No Eye Deer Restaurant (Invited Review)

July 12th, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Braised pork belly at 7 road pasar is my favorites. never try this one before

July 12th, 2009 at 10:03 pm
Ah Boon

Hi Thamciak, how to go to 7 road? I know that over there got very nice Jawa mee at the market.

CK,
You know where? what is the exact name for ’7 road’? maybe I can use my GPS to guide me there. :)

July 14th, 2009 at 5:04 pm
Sammy

This shop used to be my favorite dinner place 10+ years ago. But one day after i took the braised intestine, i suffered from a very serious food poisoning which caused myself admitted to the hospital! Guess it must be the ‘phang sa’(in cantonese) that they use it to clean the intestine. I must have eaten the phang sa that left inside the intestine. From there on i never go back to this shop.

July 26th, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Well. at least I know a place in Penang I can have a good teochew porridge. THANKS.

September 5th, 2009 at 9:26 pm
Trina Na Ranong

Now saliva dropping liao!!! Those who used to stayed at Chulia Street almost 25 years ago definitely will know that this stall used to be there. I still remember I always accompanied my grandpa and grandma to eat the moi with kiam chai there….so nostalgia.

October 7th, 2010 at 5:44 pm

1. Penang Local Food List Penang Deli    Jan 09 2010 / 11am:

[...] Business Hours: 1.00pm onwards Closed On: Saturdays, Sundays Halal Status: Non Halal Related Links: http://www.what2seeonline.com/2009/07/penang-food-tai-buan-porridge/ http://allaboutpenangfood.blogspot.com/2009/08/tai-buan-teo-chew-porridge.html [...]

2. Soul Kitchen Trattoria - A touch of Italian with soul music and food | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Aug 27 2010 / 11am:

[...] in the quiet Muntri Street, this outlet with free wireless internet access faces directly opposite Tai Buan Porridge. Click here for the Map [...]