Sin Kheng Aun Restaurant situated in Chulia Lane is one of the prominent Hainanese restaurants in Penang. This restaurant is very popular with the locals and tourists for its Hainanese food and also local dishes. Specialist of this restaurant includes the Curry Gulai Tumis, Kerabu Prawns, Hainanese Pork/Chicken Chop and many other selections of dishes.

My family and I have tried most of the dishes here as we have patronized this restaurant countless of time over the years. Their unique Haninese Pork Chop is a favorite and comes deep fried with an egg coating and paired with onions, peas and quarters of fried potatoes. The meat has a crispy exterior and went well with the slightly thick delicious gravy.

IMG_3502_resize

We had Curry Gulai Tumis, one of their famous specialties which is known for its tasty gravy. They served this curry dish with the more expensive promfret fish (tau tei). There are many version of curry tumis in town but I still find this among one of the best. The curry is sourish, with a good hint of belacan which gives that extra kick. We usually opt to have it with blanched beehoon rather than rice…do give it a try. This dish is always a must have for us.

IMG_3448_resize

The fish is always fresh

The boss, Mr Ong even took the time to share with me these lovely little bowls that was in his possession since the earlier years.

IMG_3475_resize

IMG_3531

Beautiful little bowls in a row

This plate of stir fried tofu and leeks offer a generous portion of prawns.

IMG_3434_resize

Tofu with leeks (tauhu char suan nah)

The Kerabu Prawn was absolutely spicy delicious with plenty of onions and cooling cucumber. The spicy sambal and coarsed peanut gave this dish a good combination of flavor.

IMG_3450_resize

Besides Pork Chop, they do have Chicken Chop too. Simple way of preparing by dipping the meat in flour and egg. The quality and taste of these chops has been maintained throughout the years.

IMG_3488_resize IMG_3492_resize

IMG_3440

IMG_3453_resize

This non air-con restaurant has two dining area, the ground floor and first floor. A unique lift is used to deliver food from the kitchen on the ground floor to the dining area on the first floor. The metal lift is pulled up manually.

IMG_3509_resize

IMG_3472

Dining at this restaurant guaranteed happy mood for diners as Mr Ong is a friendly down to earth person. He does take the effort getting to know every one of his customers by their names. This place is crowded and packed with customers especially during public and school holidays. Click here for The Map Location.

Our meal cost around RM90 and by the way, the only payment in this restaurant is by cash only.

IMG_3532_resize

IMG_3533

P.S. Do make a reservation for a table on the ground floor if there is an elderly person as the stairs leading to the dining hall upstairs is a bit steep.

Sin Kheng Aun Restaurant
2 Lorong Chulia
10200 Penang

Tel : 04 261 4786

Business Hours : 11am – 2.30pm and 5pm – 8.30pm

Closed on every alternate Mondays

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 at 11:22 am and is filed under George Town, Hainanese Cuisine, Penang, Restaurant, Sights. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

nice place…..i love hainanese styled chicken chop….love the old style deco still been kept!

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..La Manila Cafe@ Mid Valley

July 22nd, 2009 at 1:32 pm

OMG! my mouth seems to souring intensifly, feeling like dripping my loy of salicating. The fish looks so inviting (no need invitation) and just so gorgeous of wanting. The lift does amazed me, truly reliable and functional. I would love to spend my time there, foking and spooing into every creations and dishes

Truly Penang and a truly destination!!

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..Sunny Yaw Goes Vegeterian With Mrs HT Wong

July 22nd, 2009 at 2:04 pm

very authentic place, almost reminiscence of olden days …. not that I’ve experienced all that, mind you. :)

one thing i noticed, in Penang, at most economy/mixed rice stall, the gulai asam tumis was ever prominent. used to love drenching my rice with the tangy gravy.

J2kfm´s last blog post..Bangkok – Best Pad Thai @ Thipsamai, Lamphu House & Khao San Road

July 22nd, 2009 at 2:13 pm

SimpleGirl – The food and the deco has not change since years. Do visit this place to try out the food.

Big Boys Oven – Haha…that’s why this place is known by people near and far. Most tourist love to have the food at this place.

J2kfm – I used to drench the rice with the sourish gravy but now I have the blanched beehoon drenched in it. Do try it out.

July 22nd, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Hmm!!! Yr photos make my tummy hungry now.

FoodnTravella´s last blog post..BACK TO MY HOMETOWN- DAY 2

July 22nd, 2009 at 3:30 pm

like the Hainanese pork chop and the curry fish.

foodbin´s last blog post..KANG GUAN RESTAURANT

July 22nd, 2009 at 3:36 pm
Euan

I’ve patronized SKA for ages since I was a kid and Mr Ong’s dad was still alive. His prices are kinda expensive tho…even tho I’m Hainanese, no discount! but all well worth it. One of my favs are the stir-fried chicken in thick soya sauce ! yummy…

July 22nd, 2009 at 4:20 pm

FoodnTravella – Do bring your family to visit this restaurant on your next trip home.

foodbin – Really a food lover ya, knows what’s best…

Euan – Nice of you to share a bit of your life related to SKA. I like the stir fried chicken in thick soy sauce. Do try the pork and pork liver done the same way.
I do agree with you on the prices and I find it worth every ringgit.

July 22nd, 2009 at 5:25 pm

yum yum..me must go try this soon…

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..JJ Swiss Rolls – IPOH

July 22nd, 2009 at 5:43 pm

This is one of the places I used to patronize with my parents during my childhood!

cariso´s last blog post..Chulia Street Beef Koay Teow with ‘muscle bak’ nia nia

July 22nd, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Love this place… agree the gulai is kickass, but I’m not a huge fan of pomfret being used, even though it’s supposed to be premium fish! I thought I knew the menu inside out, but I’ve never seen the kerabu prawns before! Aiks, good excuse to head back!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Plain Mee… what gives, Super Kitchen, SS2?

July 22nd, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Not bad, will try to visit this restaurant :) Nice post :)

WikiStreetFood´s last blog post..Daves Deli

July 22nd, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Did you eat the gulai tumis with the bee hoon? I had visited this place in my last visit but was quite disappointed with their dishes and services. Maybe my expectation was too high. ;)

July 23rd, 2009 at 12:08 am

I would love to try out the hainanese chicken chop! Oh, the lift is so unique and it’s in working condition!

allie´s last blog post..Ryoma Japanese Restaurant | Penang Restaurant

July 23rd, 2009 at 12:17 am

Hainanese chicken chop tastes good. It’s the old style of preparing chops.

July 23rd, 2009 at 8:44 am

the fish goes better with meehoon than rice? it looks really yummmmy <3

July 23rd, 2009 at 9:19 am

i do agree .. the stairs looks scary!!! but i was always fascinated with the lift!!!

July 23rd, 2009 at 10:03 am

thenomadGourmand – Hope you will like this type of Hainanese food.

cariso – Looks like many grow up eating the food from SKA.

550ml jar of faith – The kerabu prawns are slightly different and comes with lots of coarse peanuts.

WikiStreetFood – Thanks for dropping by.

food-4tots – I find the gulai tumis goes very well with the bee hoon…do try it.

allie – The taste is just different.

Little Inbox – Not many places have this type of chops.

xin – I personally like it with beehoon…just like eating a bowl of curry noodle with fish.

Duckie – The stairs in this old house is very steep and is quite a task for old people.

July 23rd, 2009 at 10:40 am

wish to have it one day!
how about the price?

July 23rd, 2009 at 11:26 am

uaik – You can eat at this restaurant almost everday except Mondays ( closed on every alternate Monday only).
Btw, hv just updated the cost – around RM90…thanks for reminding.

July 23rd, 2009 at 12:29 pm

i’ve heard and read a lot about this place. it was on our makan list as well but too bad we din have enough time and had to give this a miss. a must-try next round!

July 23rd, 2009 at 12:50 pm

it is nice to have toast bread and dip with the pork chop gravy.

btw, the restaurant name from your photo showed shing kheang aun. :D

July 23rd, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Nic (KHKL) – Make sure you call up to check the closing day…to avoid disappointment.

allenooi – It goes by many spelling. Both can be search easily too. Thanks for informing.

July 23rd, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Long time did not visit them liao.

July 23rd, 2009 at 1:55 pm
wl

didn’t you all log on to shingkheangaun.wordpress.com , the website of this Shing Kheang Aun Hainanese restaurant?

July 23rd, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Food Paradise – Haha…there are so many food to eat around Penang. Do drop by again to SKA when you do crave for Hainanese food.

wl – Thanks for sharing the history of SKA.

July 23rd, 2009 at 5:20 pm
Linda

my best favourite would be the kerabu timun (without prawn). i think they use kong theng peanuts as i can taste hard sugar among the nuts.
I prefer to sit outside as i enjoy looking @ the view of the old nyonya style houses.
Yeah…. the price is quite dear.

July 24th, 2009 at 10:53 am

Linda – Come to think of it, I have never sat outside after dining at this place for so many years. Will do so on next visit to admire the surroundings and also try out the kerabu timun :)
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

July 24th, 2009 at 4:40 pm

very authentic hainanese chicken chop! the lift is so surreal.

July 28th, 2009 at 9:50 pm

This is another favourite. My wife used to eat there as a kid, with her parents. She still remembers the actual owner when he was a little kid, running around in that place!
Not inexpensive but quality is great, although some dishes are a bit too fatty or oily.
But that’s probably me.

August 12th, 2009 at 7:51 pm

buzzingbee – Sure is an attraction.

Jay-P. – It is a favorite place for our family too. Just so cute thinking of the owner running around as a kid…just prove how long this restaurant was serving the people.

August 16th, 2009 at 5:16 pm
pomoco

we had the curry fish, pork in black sauce, prawns, bitter melon with salted egg. All very homy food & yummy. but bitter melon was not bitter & salted egg not salty to my likings. Still loved it. will go again when in Penang

September 24th, 2009 at 11:47 pm

pomoco – Glad to see your comment. I will try out the bitter melon dish that you mentioned.

September 26th, 2009 at 1:05 am

1. Penang Chu Char @ Heng Kee near Goddess of Mercy Temple | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Aug 03 2009 / 11am:

[...] It was much easier for us to patronized this place as it is open on Sunday. For the first dish of Curry Tumis, we chose to have the Kui Kau fish. The fresh pieces of fish were cooked in the appetizing tamarind gravy with lots of lady fingers and tomatoes. Its taste is less sourish and not as oily compared to those from Sin Kheng Aun Restaurant. [...]

2. Straits Collection, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 25 2010 / 9am:

[...] There are plenty of hawker food and restaurants to visit around this part of George Town, such as Restaurant Kapitan and the Hainanese eatery Shing Kheang Aun. [...]

3. Yut Kee Restaurant - Hainanese Cuisine Kopitiam Style | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Oct 26 2010 / 11am:

[...] a flavorful brown sauce. It has a unique taste, and is entirely different from those that I had in Sin Keng Aun, Penang. The two varieties of chops comes with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce.  My choice was the [...]