One of the popular and convenient eating places in Gurney Drive is at the Gurney Drive Hawker Center beside the roundabout. This place mostly patronized by tourist and also by the locals offers variety of Penang hawker food. My favorite food at this hawker center is the Yau Yue Ong Choy (cuttlefish convolvulus) which is also known as Ju Hoo Eng Chai in Hokkien and also the blanched cockles.

Ju Hoo Eng Chai at Gurney Drive Hawker Center

Blanched cuttlefish with crisscross pattern looks beautifully curl up

The stall No. 90 which is located right at the end of the row, nearer to Gurney Plaza has huge cuttlefish hanging right in front neatly together with baskets of century egg, cockle and other seashell.

Ju Hoo Eng Chai at Gurney Drive Hawker Center

The fresh green convolvulus is commonly known as kangkung

The blanched vegetable, pieces of cuttlefish and jellyfish was served with a combination of Chinese sweet sauce and chili sauce, garnished with coarsely chopped peanuts and toasted sesame seed.

Ju Hoo Eng Chai at Gurney Drive Hawker Center

A delicious dish @ RM8

Cockles and other seashells are available in abundance in this stall too. The live cockles are blanched in hot water and best to have them medium cooked. Just dig out the flesh and dip into the chili sauce with chopped garlic…simply yummy. I also love to have the cockles in my Char Koay Teow and Curry Mee.

Cockles at Gurney Drive Hawker Center

Cockles at Gurney Drive Hawker Center

Blanched plate of cockle @ RM5

There are other types of seashell but I still prefer the cockle although I know of many people who are shunning away from them due to various health reasons.

Seafood at Gurney Drive Hawker Center

Seafood at Gurney Drive Hawker Center

Several stalls have cuttings of article about them written by various magazine and newspaper including this stall.

Gurney Drive Hawker Center

Gurney Drive Hawker Center

Do look out for the stall No. 68 which sells Wan Tan Mee. I was recommended by a friend to try out the spicy Ma Lat version but unfortunately it was not open on that night.

Gurney Drive Hawker Center
Persiaran Gurney
10250 Penang

Business Hour : 6pm – 12 midnight

Click here for the Map Location

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, September 7th, 2009 at 11:02 am and is filed under Gurney Drive, Hawker, Penang, Seafood. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

The cuttle fish photo looks good, I like that. Right angle, right shot. I have a lot to learn from you.

September 7th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I miss the chicken skins more! lol …. too much sotong will block my artery =.=||

September 7th, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Jiu hu eng chai ok to me, but not the blanched cockles, hehe……I scare of the bloody stuffs.

September 7th, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Sorry, forgot to add great post! Can’t wait to see your next post!

September 7th, 2009 at 4:01 pm

this is the busiest place! me and family always unable to be here. jam jam jam and no parking @@

no matter how, next time we must come here >__<

September 7th, 2009 at 6:51 pm

wow look at those awesome sotong! hehehehe sotong lar! :)

September 7th, 2009 at 7:32 pm

gurney drive hawker center can be considered a foodies haven-have not tasted blanched cockles for a long time-those comb shell looks extremely fresh, too.

September 7th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

been some time since I’ve gone back to Gurney Drive for some food.
only like the pasembur (highly customizable), mua chee (with fried shallots!), and erm … nothing else. =P

September 7th, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Not that like this hawker center as it is too crowded and extremely difficult to find a parking. :(

September 7th, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Have not been for quite a long time. Don’t know why leh hey?!

September 7th, 2009 at 10:41 pm

New Kid On The Blog – I also have more to learn and hope to bring out nicer photos. We learn together along the way, ok? :)

email2me – Will sure to look out for the stall selling the chicken skin.

Little Inbox – Many of my friends do not take the bloody stuffs too.

ai wei – Try parking inside gurney plaza and take a short walk over to the hawker center.

September 8th, 2009 at 10:32 am

Big Boys Oven – I spotted bigger ones in another stall.

Foodbin – I find the cockles very clean, no muddy residue.

J2Kfm – Although there are so many stalls, some of them sell the similar food.

WikiStreetFood – It’s true and it is specially crowded during school and public holidays.

Jason Wong – Only you should know…haha. Maybe the food that you are looking for is not found in this place.

September 8th, 2009 at 10:39 am

My Penang friend told me that this place mostly are meant for tourists , local people seldom go there ?

September 8th, 2009 at 10:39 am

Yummy artery-clogging cuttlefish! The best things are always unhealthy. :P

September 8th, 2009 at 11:23 am

i love yau yu ong choy….will definetely note down this stall since u recommended…..

September 8th, 2009 at 3:10 pm

The Yau Yue Ong Choy looks great! Never try this stall before. Will definitely try this stall soon! Thanks for sharing

September 8th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

pics are amazingly sharp! hope 2 see u soon!

September 8th, 2009 at 5:29 pm
twiggy

seldom visit gurney hawker center as it cost more and food taste so so…i believe most of the penang kia will not go there …..

September 8th, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Of course it’s touristic! It’s on Gurney Drive after all. But the majority of people patronising this place are still locals. I like the place and the atmosfere of Gurney Drive in the evening, although I prefer Goodall Cafe Hawker centre for the food (Jalan Gottlieb), while another favourite is the hawker food at the evening market in Pulau Tikus.
JP

September 9th, 2009 at 9:24 am

Agree that the food there is fabulous.

September 9th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Bakeling – There are locals visiting this center too, not everyone is a tourist. You can try out the food too.

iamthewitch – Best eaten in moderate amount.

SimpleGirl – Remember it is stall no.90

allie – Hope it is to your liking.

superwilson – Hope to meet up with you and your lovely wife too.

twiggy – There are still many locals there.

Jay-P. – You are right about that point…this place has tourist and also the locals.

cathy – It is nice having you visiting my blog. Hope to see you dropping in more often.

September 9th, 2009 at 4:03 pm

As Penangite, I had been very long time didn’t go there to makan, I wanna go there to make a trip liao.

September 9th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I never go there unless guest request us to bring them there.
I’m not into bloody stuff…so the cockles will be out of my list :P

September 9th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

The 2nd pic? A piece of art, really. Beautiful.

And this coming from a guy who doesn’t like cuttlefish and REALLY doesn’t like cockles! :P

September 9th, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Hi CK, great pics, as usual! I didn’t get to visit Gurney Drive hawker center on my last visit. :( All the more reason to plan a trip to Penang soon! :)

September 10th, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Whenever I have a chance to travel to Penang, Gurney Drive is a must go place. :D
Craving for the fried chicken skin…another cholesterol contributor.. :p

September 24th, 2009 at 1:23 pm
Dissatisfied

Had a terrible experience at Gurney Drive hawker corner. The mata kuching drink seller was extremely rude; the moment we sat down he proclaimed that we MUST buy drinks from his stall and not from other stalls. Our party of 5 only called for one lychee (he had a small variety) as others wanted ice kacang. He replied rudely, saying no no we must order drinks for all. We walked away to another table. If I return I will never sit in that area anymore.

July 6th, 2010 at 11:53 pm
chuah

for me, i prefer the other stall which also selling the cuttle fish at the same place.
the stall number is 45(near Mcd).
Beside that, that stall also got selling the octopus which is the most tasty octopus among others.

December 29th, 2010 at 12:54 am
iza

I love Satay Gelugor Asli and sotong bakar just beside the satay stall at Anjung Gurney.

April 15th, 2011 at 10:07 am
Stranger

next time .. take a picture of the whole hawker center from a specific angle , that will make tourists easier to find the place =D

September 11th, 2011 at 11:47 pm

This could be one particular of the most helpful weblogs We have ever arrive across on this subject matter. Essentially Impressive. I am also a expert in this topic so I can fully understand your really hard employment.

March 5th, 2012 at 8:36 am

1. Penang Food – Gurney Drive Hawker Center - Asian Food Blog    Sep 20 2009 / 11pm:

[...] One of the popular and convenient eating places in Gurney Drive is at the Gurney Drive Hawker Center beside the roundabout. This place mostly patronized by tourist and also by the locals offers variety of Penang hawker food. My favorite food at this hawker center is the Yau Yue Ong Choy (cuttlefish convolvulus) which is [...] Read original post [...]

2. Nasi Lemak Cilibilis at Gurney Drive Hawker Center, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 19 2011 / 1pm:

[...] stall faces directly opposite Sunrise Mc Donald. If you are looking for hawker food in Gurney Drive, do consider dropping by Gurney Drive Hawker Centre. It is an idyllic place to sample the range of [...]

3. [Travel Story] Kenyang di Penang « Boloten Inside    Jan 21 2013 / 10pm:

[...] Gurney Drive Hawker Center, semacam perserikatan pedagang makanan digerobak dorong yg ditempatkan disatu tempat oleh Pemda [...]