Wanton Mee & Dumpling at Peace & Joy coffee shop by what2seeonline.com

Wanton Mee with many toppings

Wanton Mee, another Penang hawker food is available in many places around Georgetown and I like to have it from the stall in Peace & Joy coffee shop located in China Street. Like in most places, the Wanton Mee comes in either with clear soup or dry type. I prefer my Wanton Mee dry which comes in flavorful thick black soy sauce, bit of sesame oil and pork lard.

The thin noodle has a perfect ‘QQ’ texture, springy and yet not too soft. It comes with pieces of char siew, choy sum (Chinese vegetable) and two versions of wanton. Being a char siew fan, I prefer this char siew as it is far better than those reddish ones sold in other places around town.

Wanton Mee & Dumpling at Peace & Joy coffee shop by what2seeonline.com

Wanton Mee
Small – RM2.50
Medium – RM3.00
Big – RM3.30

The Wanton Mee comes with two versions of wanton which were filled up with minced pork. The fried ones were super crispy and tasted delicious especially when dipped into their chili sauce. This stall serve both the chili sauce and  also the pickle green chili in a soy sauce plate which is hard to come by nowadays as most stalls would just place it alongside the noodle.

Wanton Mee & Dumpling at Peace & Joy coffee shop by what2seeonline.com

Wanton Mee & Dumpling at Peace & Joy coffee shop by what2seeonline.com

My hubby ordered a bowl of Sui Kow (dumpling) soup. The crescent shaped dumplings came in wrapper ‘skin’ filled with a mixture of minced pork and prawn. He finds the proportion between the meat and prawn well balanced, which subsequently gives a flavorful meaty prawn taste. The light clear soup was topped with spring onions.

Wanton Mee & Dumpling at Peace & Joy coffee shop by what2seeonline.com

Sui Kow
Two for RM1.30

To achieve springy ‘QQ’ texture, the noodle has to go through the process known as “kor lang hor” in Cantonese. The noodle is blanched in hot water, removes and soaked briefly in cold water and then another quick dip into the hot water before tossed with their flavorful black soy sauce.

Wanton Mee & Dumpling at Peace & Joy coffee shop by what2seeonline.com

Mr Yam and his wife have been selling Wanton Mee for many years…more than 15 years now. Business was brisk on that day and it was nice of them sharing their time with me.

Wanton Mee & Dumpling at Peace & Joy coffee shop by what2seeonline.com

Wanton Mee & Dumpling at Peace & Joy coffee shop by what2seeonline.com

Besides this Wanton Mee, another popular stall in this coffee shop is the Curry Mee which many of my friends has given their two thumbs up. Click here for the Map Location.

One Tonne Mee
Peace & Joy Coffee Shop
China Street
Penang

Tel : 016 492 5832

Business Hour : 7am – 2pm

Closed on Sunday

Category : Non-Halal

GPS Coordinates : N05 2505.2   E100 2021.7

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 at 11:37 am and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Non-Halal, Noodles, Penang, Wanton Mee. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

i like the springy looking wanton noodle-the char siew looks so-so but those wantons oh! so tempting!

October 21st, 2009 at 3:28 pm

heeheehee… gotta tell hubby to try them out already.

October 21st, 2009 at 3:54 pm

suddenly look at the pic, the sui kow looks so good. Maybe look too much on recent posting on fine dining..:p

October 21st, 2009 at 4:13 pm

cheap cheap cheap! for that big plate only at 3.30 and get to enjoy the ‘bouncy’ noodles?! nice… will do it when visit to penang :)

October 21st, 2009 at 6:25 pm
Jack Tai

QQ nice to try..

October 21st, 2009 at 6:34 pm

their wantan noodle is thin and elastic enough, i like it =) highly recommend!

October 21st, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Chilli sauce & green chillies – yes this is the ultimate Wantan mee place for me!! Peace & Joy all around! :-)

October 21st, 2009 at 8:31 pm

ironically, i just had my lunch at Peace Hotel and Restaurant in Taiping today. :)
not wantan mee though, but rice.

October 21st, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Loaded with two types of wonton (the fried version is the main attraction, I guess) & char siew, the noodles look quite springy too, this is good enough to make me salivate… Anyway, where is China Street? Near Carnavon?

October 22nd, 2009 at 12:19 am

CK, my friend brought me here before ! Their wantan noodle is really taste good . Besides that she even comes here every week and already makes friend with the wanton masters here !

October 22nd, 2009 at 12:51 am

One tonne mee … Cool!

October 22nd, 2009 at 1:21 am

the ipoh version wanton mee normally do not serve fried wanton like most stall in Penang….

October 22nd, 2009 at 8:41 am

it is awesome! just adorable!

October 22nd, 2009 at 8:49 am
smart

Aiyoo your post came too late. Peace & Joy will be one must stop for us now. Besides I met the guy who stall is next to the curry me. He claimed he supplied his stuffs to Singapore hotels. Maybe you can check with him when you next visit. Also in front of the curry mee is the Hokkien Prawn Noodle which looks nice. The curry mee lady told it belong to them too!.

October 22nd, 2009 at 10:16 am

The wantan looks so yummy. I prefer cooked wan tan rather than deep fried one.

October 22nd, 2009 at 10:48 am

This was my fav 1 Tonne noodle in Penang….. being patronize them since 1996 when I was in old KDU college.

October 22nd, 2009 at 11:26 am

springy wantan noodles to start my day is the best! and one tonne mee? what a name! :)

October 22nd, 2009 at 12:00 pm

foodbin – Do visit this place and try it out.

NKOTB – The coffee shop is closed on Sunday.

taufulou – A bowl of wanton mee is always welcoming…anytime :)

ai wei – Do let me know when you are in Penang.

Jack Tai – The sauce is very flavorful…nice to go with the QQ noodle.

candlelyn – Nice knowing that you too like it.

550ml jar of faith – It is a rarity finding servings of two types of chili.

J2Kfm – Indeed a nice and popular name.

October 22nd, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Wow this is the kind of down-to-earth Malaysian-style wantan mee that I crave so much! Yummy!

October 22nd, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Ming Na – China Street is the road directly opposite the Goddess of Mercy temple.

Bakeling – It is nice of you sharing your visit to this place.

Julian Si – Another popular Penang hawker food.

SimpleGirl – Not all of the stalls in Penang has two versions of wanton.

Big Boys Oven – Comforting food and tasty too.

October 22nd, 2009 at 9:02 pm

smart – I was told that the hokkien mee belong to the curry mee on my last visit. Glad all of you like the food in this coffee shop.

allie – Can omit the fried ones and take the cooked ones only.

email2me – We can go makan together lor…haha

Chris @ Christine – A nice way of expressing it.

Camemberu – Do plan a trip to Penang and I will take you around to try out the plentiful yummy food.

October 22nd, 2009 at 9:14 pm
iproperty.pg

Hi CK, I just recently discovered another yummy wanton mee in town. It is at Carnarvon Street, Kwong Fatt Lee coffee shop. You can also try their fresh prawn dumpling. They also have pork leg noodle on every Saturday, gonna try it next time. Plus their hainanese coffee & toasted bread also taste good. It is worth trying.

January 10th, 2011 at 1:01 am
Ann

hi CK Lam, do you know the new location for this Wanton Mee @ Peace & Joy Coffee Shop, China Street?
they no longer sell at there.

April 6th, 2011 at 8:28 am
Rosalind Yee

This stall use to sell tasty Wan Tan Mee but the couple had sold off this stall to a young girl some where end of last year.

2days ago, I went to have my breakfast there… the dry noodle is very salty for the sauce, the soup is tasteless, sui kow smaller and the noodle is over-cooked till soft soft…

taste is totally out and the business also not much like before anymore….

August 18th, 2011 at 3:28 pm
tianhwee

Hi CK

so U got any update where this 1 tonne mee shifted ??

March 18th, 2012 at 2:35 pm