All rojak sellers in Penang claims that their rojak is the best as seen in their sign board of A1, AAA and so forth but there is one stall that truly stands out. It is Hock Seng Rojak stall which is located on the ground floor of Macallum Flat in Gat Lebuh Cecil.

All the mixed fruits and vegetables are packed separately from the prawn sauce (ha koe). The sauce is sprinkled with some powder followed by peanuts. The owner uses uncut peanuts which tasted so much better compared to other stalls that uses crushed peanuts.

Lastly pungent dried shrimps were added to it.

The prawn sauce (ha koe) is so thick that the peanuts and the dried shrimps did not even sink into the sauce unlike those that will turn watery after a while. Even my hubby and son who are not keen eaters of rojak give their thumbs up. Click here for the Map Location.

Feedback from one of my readers, Yoong :

A general description — the sauce is thick and potent, topped with dried squid powder, roasted peanuts and dried shrimps. We’ve never had it like this before.

Hock Seng Rojak
Macallum Street
10300 Penang

Business Hours : 1.30pm – 5pm
Tel : 016 4772472

Updated 25/5/09 : Other food oultet around here…Restaurant Hock Chuan Heong which serves Hokkien Dishes.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 10th, 2008 at 5:15 pm and is filed under George Town, Hawker, Penang, Rojak, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

buzzingbee

wow such generous topping of dried shrimps and peanuts….looks so delicious!!!

May 12th, 2008 at 12:12 pm
little inbox

So far I have not try any rojak with dried shrimp topping yet.

May 14th, 2008 at 9:05 pm
CK Lam

buzzingbee..it looks and taste delicious. its a must try.

little inbox..its a first time I had rojak with dried shrimp too and it won’t be my last.

May 14th, 2008 at 11:02 pm
Girly

I am searching for it on last Saturday but very sad unable to locate this stall on the whole Gor Tiao Lor. My husband even help me to go through this road a few times but we still have to went back with empty handed.

April 20th, 2009 at 11:24 am

Girly – Do try giving the owner a call if you cannot find the stall …. 016 4772472 and the business hour is from 1.30pm – 5pm.

April 24th, 2009 at 9:35 am
yoong

Thanks to your precise directions, we managed to find the stall and this has got to be one of the most delectable rojaks we’ve had, ever. Prior to that, we had rojak at New World — it’s substandard n seriously nothing compared to Hock’s.

We returned the following day to “ta pao” more back home. Thanks Ms. Lam!

September 21st, 2009 at 11:44 pm

yoong – Glad you like the rojak and thanks again for visiting my food blog. I have placed your comment into this rojak post itself.

September 21st, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Thank you for the great article. I have included 2 of your photos in my http://buddingplanet.com/more-night-market-raw-food article which is about places we can go to, to buy and eat raw food. I have included your link inside my article.

October 8th, 2009 at 12:41 am
Fey

Thanks for the great info, his rojak is really the best I’ve tasted. Btw the google map location is wrong, if you’re coming from coastal highway from Jelutong his stall will be on the right side, turn right at the 1st traffic light, not as per the google map, yu will see his hawker at the front of the coffee shop just a few meters from the traffic lights.

December 22nd, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I read in the newspaper about a ‘Rojak King’ in Gat Lebuh Macallum manned by Khor Ewe Hock. But I couldn’t find it a few days ago (it was a Monday). Is this the same stall? Thanks.

Not too sure if it is the same stall that you mentioned. By anyway, do try Hock Seng rojak too :)

July 11th, 2012 at 9:56 am
Bo

Is the stall still locate at the same place?? I looking it now actually

April 28th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

1. Penang Food - Hokkien Dishes @ Hock Chuan Heong, Macallum Flat | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    May 24 2009 / 7pm:

[...] visible from the main road but still walkable distance to the main road, which coincidently houses Hock Seng Rojak, my favorite rojak stall. It is one of the places with good Hokkien dishes that come with reasonable [...]

2. Penang Food - Pan Mee @ I Mum Mum Restaurant | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 05 2010 / 9am:

[...] look out for my favorite Rojak stall at Gat Lebuh Cecil, which is just a short walk [...]

3. Penang 24-hour Food Tour Guide | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Apr 18 2013 / 11am:

[...] – 4pm: Hock Seng Rojak Lebuh Macallum (+6016 403 0724) Open daily, 1.30pm-5pm This refreshing fruit salad has a combination of sliced mango, pineapple, guava and cucumber. The fruits have a buzz of heat [...]