Our family had the experience of tasting Bulgarian food at the newly opened Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant & Bar located at Sungai Kelian in  Tanjung Bunga, Penang recently.  This is the first Bulgarian restaurant that made its debut in Penang. It is located right beside Ingolf’s Kneipe German Restaurant.

P1100384

P1100128

The big signboard of this restaurant first caught our attention when we were dining at Ingolf’s .

P1100399 P1100403

A mezzanine floor is constructed in this shoplot to create more dinning space. Walking up the stairs lead you to the upper floor which has a dining area and a bar whereby diners get to enjoy a drink before the meal. Downstairs is another spacious dining area.

P1100395P1100482P1100382P1100464

Bulgarian cuisines is influence by the Greek, Middle East and Turkish. The food are mostly grilled or sauteed. There is a wide range of mouth watering dishes to choose from the menu. We started off the dinner with the Shkembe Chorba, which is basically a tripe soup. It is very different from our local tripe soup. Do bring yourself to try it, it is very tasty!

P1100405P1100417

Shepherd’s salad – a salad consisting of a selection of fresh vegetables, ham, button mushrooms, hard cheese and olives garnished with grated hard boiled egg accompanied with some dressing.

P1100411

Platter Bulgari -  Bulgaria trio consisting sausages, meat patties and chicken steak accompanied by a large portion of boiled potatoes, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. This plate of mouth watering grilled meats of ground pork patties (rich in herbs), sausages (with lots of spices) and chicken steak is a must try!

P1100424

P1100427

Steak Bulgarian style … tenderized chicken steak topped with creamy mushroom sauce  came with the same large portion of mixed vegetable. The chicken meat was tenderly done.

P1100450

P1100456

We had an enormous Balkan platter which was a trio of lightly sautéed chicken livers and onion, gizzards in butter and veal tripe with mushrooms and herbs. It is recommended to share this dish.

P1100436

P1100437

Photos of the cozy interior dining area and a shot of me with Silviya Georgieva who is one of the partner. I had a chat with her and she told us that they had the the interior of the restaurant decorated quite similar to the Bulgarian country side  cottage. They even had a Bulgarian chef brought over here to head the kitchen. She did hint that they might introduce more dishes in the near future such as tarator (cold cucumber soup) and banista (pastry).

P1100392P1100483P1100421P1100476P1100494

This restaurant gives Penangites the opportunity to explore the many flavors of  Bulgarian cuisines. Definitely worth checking out this place. This dinner was indeed a brand new culinary experience for us. We also bumped into Lingzie who was dining there with her family, Penang definitely is a small island!

For reservations, call 04 8981890

Address : 1E Jalan Sungai Kelian
11200 Tanjong Bungah
Penang

I came across this ‘beauty’ in the restaurant, guess where does it leads to?

P1100493

Location Map…

View Larger Map

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 4th, 2008 at 4:24 pm and is filed under Bulgarian Cuisine, International, Non-Halal, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Tanjung Bungah. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

pixen

Hi CK… Hah..thanks for this info! Sure it’s going to be another hotspot! I’m game for Bulgarian dishes!

October 4th, 2008 at 4:35 pm
CK Lam

Pixen – I love to hear your food review on this place. Do share with me…

October 4th, 2008 at 4:57 pm
cariso

Hey, I think you & Lingzie have the same fondness of taste.

October 4th, 2008 at 5:30 pm
CK Lam

Cariso – It is a coincidence…both of us at the same place and the same time.

The food is sometime new in Penang and is quite tasty.

October 4th, 2008 at 5:49 pm
buzzingbee

Haha yea Penang is indeed small!! :)
This looks like another good place for dining.

October 4th, 2008 at 5:57 pm
Christy

Oooo..really, just next to Ingolf’s Kneipe??!! Whatever happened to the cake shop or the Guardian next to Infgolf (my memory’s not that good anymore:p)

Seems like another interesting experience…but I do hope there’s some seafood…I love fish…hehe…

Hmmmm…Bulgarian next to German, who knows…the whole row may be filled up by more international or exotic cuisines yeah…hehehe!

P.S: How come I never seem to run into any of you? *pouts*

October 4th, 2008 at 6:31 pm
email2me

Wah more and more western restaurant is blooming in Tanjung Bungah area. I hope the whole stretch there become like United Nation. Lol …. no need to travel to so many places to get diff country foods. 1 stop dining is not a bad idea.

By the way this Bulgarian foods are are Halal or Non Halal? Do they serve pork?

October 4th, 2008 at 6:44 pm
gill gill

email2me: hey, is non halal la, CK mentioned “ground pork patties” fromt the post :P …see, you dont really read it propally…haa, CK…punish him!!

Wooo, is a good news for food hunter again! was the bulgarian food good?

October 4th, 2008 at 6:58 pm
Food Promotions

Wow..didnt know that there is another new restaurant beside Ingolf. Thanks for the review. Definitely will give it a try :)

October 4th, 2008 at 6:58 pm
allenooi

Bulgarian cuisine, never tried. i need to expose myself to more different type of cuisine from different country.

from the photos, seem the chicken with creamy mushroom sauce is yummy wor…. the sauce really creamy la.

the “beauty” should be lead you to the ladies. am i correct? haha.

October 4th, 2008 at 8:39 pm
email2me

Gill Gill : Don’t be like that la … I mixed up Bulgarian and Middle East Food … In KL we had a restaurant called Tarbush … I thought this is the same … Lol … today had too much pork … Bak Kut Teh for brunch … so don’t want to think of pig …. burp ….

October 4th, 2008 at 8:47 pm
JENCOOKS

Good recommendation, food, wine, Bulgarian decor and by the way I have never tried Bulgarian meal but the long steak or was it chicken looks Lebanese.

October 4th, 2008 at 10:09 pm
CK Lam

Buzzingbee – This area seems to be getting more and more popular…going international already…great.

Christy – The cake shop and guardian is still around…this restaurant took over the mini-market.

Who knows, we might run into each other one of this days!

Email2me – Your idea sounds great…it is nice to see the whole row of shops developing. We get to taste food from different countries…haha

The food is NON-HALAL, with plenty of pork dishes…

October 4th, 2008 at 10:49 pm
CK Lam

Gillgill – All of us enjoyed the meal…especially the pork patties and sausages.

Food Promotions – It was opened to the public on 29th September. The place was packed when I was there.

Allenooi – Give this place a try, you might like it. You are right about the ‘beauty’, Allen…you are such a genius…haha

October 4th, 2008 at 10:59 pm
CK Lam

Email2me – Its alright to get mixed up…at times,it happens to me too :) Do forgive Gillgill la…ok! cincai cincai.

Jencooks – This is also my first time savouring this type of food…not too sure about the looks of the steak, but very sure it was tasty!

October 4th, 2008 at 11:09 pm
Anonymous

Hie seems that I’m the only one unhappy about the food at the new place. I went in for lunch on Thursday all excited to try out Bulgarian dishes and came out dissapointed. We ordered steak bulgarian style, pork ribs and another dish which I could not recall the name (something like meat patty). After 10 minutes I was told that they ran out of pork ribs. Then they mix up the dishes and told us about the mistake when we were half way through our meal….and the steak was dry and a bit hard. To make up for the mistake they served 3 complimentary Baklava. Like what Lingzie said, it’s drenched in syrup and served cold. For me it’s too sweet and also a bit hard. Maybe the chef was still experimenting around during lunch time…

October 4th, 2008 at 11:30 pm
Jason Wong

Aunty CK,

Your arch nemises!

May be I will bring Gill Gill there to celebrate her getting older, next week!

if no good, you pay for my bill!

October 5th, 2008 at 12:53 am
CK Lam

Anonymous – I did not order the Baklava as I knew it is very sweet since I have tasted it on my Melbourne trip. Suprisingly, those were not drench in syrup as you can see from my link below…

Some mix-up might bound to happen in a new restaurant… hope the management will improve and be more organise.

Jason Wong – Oh… our dear gill is getting older next week…hmmm. I am sure she will have a nice time with you. Hope both of you have a nice weekend :)

October 5th, 2008 at 1:08 am
pixen

Hi CK, I was there this evening :-D But there were too many people even though I was there early after placed a table of 6. My table missed a soup (managed to inform Silviya about it bcos I was billed) and my fries were cold… :-( My meals was very good so were my sister's orders. The Mushroom soup was a bit watery and I don't have the chance to have my desserts bcos my toddler was upset his high chair was smaller than him and cold fries which caused stern stares by next table woman (I don't blamed her if she's single but she has to understand my situation as a mother,just back from grocery,rush hours & no time for make-over).

BUT I'm going back again maybe in the late afternoon brunch on weekdays. Saturday or weekends always crowded. Overall, the place is gorgeous and spacious. I love the concept especially the bar & smoking room are upstairs bcos smoke goes up…

Food is combination of Greek, Turkish & Eastern EU. I cooked a lot of Greek, Turkish and EU food so, I don't have much problem with Bulgariska köket.

I will visit the place again soon and I forgave them for serving cold food to me, being new/just open resto :-D BTW, I think their presence caused a stir at Ingolf's.

October 5th, 2008 at 1:50 am
Tau Sar Phneah

ck, i tell you…when i reach back penang, i will definitely use your blog as my guidance in searching for thumbs-up food…you can be crowned as a food critic already!!! hehe :) :)

btw, i see that there’s lot of comments regarding the newly open bulgarian restaurant..i think should be given another chance as they’re still new and in the process of adaptation and experimenting…don’t let the first experience spoilt it (although it’s trully vital that ppl tends to remember the first encounter)

October 5th, 2008 at 3:46 am
CK Lam

Pixen – Looks like there are a few unpleasant encounters in this new restaurant. Hopefully they will get things back in order after this first week of business. Fortunately, everything went well during my visit.

The idea of placing the bar & smoking room upstairs is good as the entrance won't be too smokey and noisy. I will visit the place again as there are so much more dishes that I wish to try out. It would be nice to get feed back from you too.

Tau Sar Phneah – I am just sharing my review just like the rest of the bloggers but I am glad you find it interesting and useful. You sounded a bit too kua cheong…haha

October 5th, 2008 at 8:41 am
samyeap

CK,

Nice 1. I can’t wait to call them up to reserve a table. Going to do it..:)

October 5th, 2008 at 5:43 pm
CK Lam

SamYeap – Do share your reviews with me…as I am planning a revisit soon :)

October 5th, 2008 at 6:45 pm
New Kid on the Blog

could this be the 3rd blogger gathering venue?

October 5th, 2008 at 10:08 pm
PenangTuaPui

heard about yours and lingzie visit, definitely will drive us there with the post u had….

will try as much as dishes as possible.. hee hee

October 5th, 2008 at 10:51 pm
Steven Goh

Steak Bulgarian style looks yummy. I want to try that out. Btw there is another restaurant like russian style located just opposite the esso station at tunjung bungah too. I tried once not bad, wanna revisit and blog about that.

October 5th, 2008 at 11:31 pm
CK Lam

New Kid on the Blog – We have decided to have potluck for the 3rd gathering…hope you can join us this time.

Penangtuapui – Definitely would like to see your review of the dishes as three tuapui’s can eat lots more…haha

Steven Goh – Remember to make a reservation as it is often packed.

I have been to the other restaurant that you mentioned. The person that operates the place is a German lady and she serves good roast pork ribs…I did a post on that too.

October 6th, 2008 at 12:06 am
J2Kfm

interesting, Bulgarian food. never heard of, and never tried. but Ingolf is good! reasonable as well.
thanks CK Lam, your blog somehow paves way for us to elegant diners in Pg.

October 6th, 2008 at 8:31 am
Allie

OMG! The food is so yummy lol. I wanna go try.. hehe

October 6th, 2008 at 10:40 am
CK Lam

J2kfm – Majority of Penangites have never heard of Bulgarian food if not for this new restaurant.

Definitely is a must try. It is packed even on weekdays. Good sign that Penangites are willing to try out this new cuisine.

Allie – There are plenty more succulent pork dishes. There is the pork ribs that I wanted to order but it was sold out that night.

October 6th, 2008 at 11:05 am
Big Boys Oven

The food looks awesomely delicious!

October 6th, 2008 at 12:17 pm
Little Inbox

Pot luck for third gathering? Oh, have to think of what to bring then, hehe…

October 6th, 2008 at 1:08 pm
QuaChee

first time im hearing about bulgarian food. we hardly know about the country haha… yet its interesting that its food is here! :)

October 6th, 2008 at 1:20 pm
CK Lam

Big Boys Oven – This delicious food with the nice ambience … makes a lovely night out. Do try it out in your Penang trip this coming Saturday.

Little Inbox – The food for the potluck is western food.

Quachee – Penangites are lucky that they set up this restaurant in Penang :) Make sure you try out this speciality on your next Penang trip.

October 6th, 2008 at 1:50 pm
Duckie

oh it’s my dad’s friend’s shop!! i’m trying to get him to give a special discount to all bloggers!!! hope i’ll manage to get

October 6th, 2008 at 2:45 pm
CK Lam

Duckie – Wow…that is great. It would be nice if all the bloggers get to savour the food with a discount. Waiting to hear the good news from you :)

October 6th, 2008 at 3:25 pm
Stickerlabels

Oiii….couldn’t wait, Andrew and I will definitely try this place…

Great review !

Ying

October 6th, 2008 at 3:48 pm
New Kid on the Blog

Alamak, pot luck ah???

October 6th, 2008 at 5:23 pm
CK Lam

Stickerlabels – I hope both of you will like the food in this cosy place. Would be nice to see your review.

October 6th, 2008 at 6:56 pm
tigerfish

It leads to the Ladies…or maybe the swimming pool?

Exotic food indeed.

October 6th, 2008 at 9:02 pm

wow… own domain lo……

happy to see this……..

October 6th, 2008 at 10:45 pm

been directed to the new doamin wor… finally!! i need to go update my link then. hehehe. congrats! welcome to the own domain world!

October 7th, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Ya loh …. She upgrade to the next level of blogging liao ….

email2me´s last blog post..SS19 Petaling Jaya 888 Food Planet

October 7th, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Hie~ First time posting here! I’m gonna try the new restaurant tomoro so it’s so lucky to stumble upon ur blog the day before!! haha
i wanted to try it 2 weekends ago when i saw it on the way to get hillside burger, but told it’s just softopening :)

eve´s last blog post..Helen playing tag

October 10th, 2008 at 9:21 am
Rayner

Helllo All,

May I know roughly how much a dinner meal cost for per person?

Thanks!

October 14th, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Tigerfish – It does leads to the ladies…which I find very unique. seldom seen too.

Penangtuapui – Thanks for yr support in this too.

Allenooi – Thanks for updating my new url…:)

Email2me – Without yr help, this would not have come true…thanks again.

Eve – Thanks for dropping by my blog. I saw yr review and happy to know that you had a great time with yr friends too.

Rayner – Based on that night, its roughly around forty something per person…but will be more if one goes for the wine.

October 15th, 2008 at 11:41 am
Rayner

Thanks, CK LAM! :) Need to call to make booking :)

October 15th, 2008 at 2:14 pm
YeeCK

I wish to try it out tomorrow during lunch time :)

November 22nd, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Rayner & YeeCk – Sorry, did not reply back to both of you as there was a glitch and did not see both of yr messages…

December 2nd, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Hi CK, i tried the food again last week and they had deteriorated so much since the previous time i was there

Eve´s last blog post..Vintage Bulgaria @ Hillside Part 2

January 12th, 2009 at 9:13 am
Jon

Hi CK. Thanks for your top 10 list you e-mailed me. I was in Penang last weekend and was trying to get from Tg Bungah to Nyonya Secrets last Sunday evening and got stuck in a huge traffic jam. So decided to try this place instead. The mushroom soup was good – an interesting mix of fresh mushrooms with chunky bits. I had a sort of bruschetta with an eggplant paste – eggplant is my favorite – and I was not disapointed. My wife and I shared the Bulgarian platter which in hindsight was a good idea as the serving was more than sufficient for us. The sausages and meat patties were spicy all right but a tad salty. It came with fries (instead of boiled potatoes as pictured above) but nice chunky fresh fries which I prefer. Overall a very good meal. Thanks for your review which helped me to decide on this restaurant.

February 15th, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Eve – Maybe you could try it out again another time cos another reader, Jon has just visited the place recently and his comments were positive.

Jon – Its good to know that the food is to your liking. Thanks for sharing your experience at this place with us.

February 15th, 2009 at 11:51 pm
anonymous

They have different menu for different occasions. Went there during CNY and the menu was different from the usual one. The food there was great. Try to be on the look out for others specialty during special occasions..

April 7th, 2009 at 1:59 pm
bob

What can i say……The best food ive had in Penang. Great service…..Great place…..Enjoy..

January 11th, 2010 at 2:02 pm

bob – Nice having you in my food blog and thanks for leaving a comment too.

January 11th, 2010 at 2:21 pm
MaxWong

Miss Lam, may i know what is the price range of the menu? one main course in average costs how much? thank you..

Prices varies, from twenty onwards for a full hearty dish.

February 5th, 2010 at 7:22 pm
Fain Wahab

Wow 1st Bulgarian Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant, inPenang!.. I live in Bulgaria, as i hardly see any Malaysian there, people are friendly very open, but one thing for sure Bulgarian enjoy they foods and very cheap compare to other E.U countries.. :)

October 3rd, 2011 at 3:37 pm

1. Irish Pub & Restaurant, Shenanigans - Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 03 2008 / 6pm:

[...] in the regions of Tanjung Bungah and Tanjung Tokong. I was lucky enough to have tried the Swiss, Bulgarian, German, Japanese and Korean food around these area and in [...]

2. Penang Hawker Food - Tanjung Bungah | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 03 2008 / 7pm:

[...] specialty. The food court is surrounded by a row of shop houses where Ingolf German Restaurant and Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant is [...]

3. Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant and Bar - Revisited | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 12 2009 / 7pm:

[...] remember visiting Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant and Bar for the first time when it opens its door last year in Tanjung Bungah. Recently my family was [...]

4. » Penang Western Food List Penang Deli    Sep 24 2009 / 1pm:
  5. Figo's Restaurant, Tanjung Bungah Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 28 2010 / 12am:

[...] in Tanjong Bunga. The restaurant is a short distance away from Ingolf’s Kneipe German Restaurant, Vintage Bulgaria Restaurant and the Medan Selera [...]