If there was ever a time when you had Japanese food to the point you leave the shop beaming from ear to ear, tonight had to be it. The venue? Isaribi Tei Japanese Restaurant which serves authentic Japanese Cuisine of course! This Penang based Japanese Restaurant is located at Burmah Square on Jalan Chow Thye, on the row of shoplots nearby Him Heang.

The night was pouring heavily, and with our stomachs growling, this seems to be the perfect place. The garden which leads to the restaurant was beautifully decorated, and even though it was dark, it gave the place a very cozy feeling.

P1100852

P1100851

Upon entering the place, we were greeted by their friendly waiters and shown to our table. Looking around, we can see that the spacious restaurant is decorated with a tapestry of cultures. Wooden panels decorated the walls, while memorabilia of all sorts were donning the sides. We don’t feel that we are actually in an old pre-war shoplot.

P1100774

P1100844

Flick flick flick, the menu was vast and varieties were aplenty. Our family decided to settle for some mini dishes instead of going for a “big” one. I manage just in time to capture the chefs in action preparing our food.

P1100766 DSC00463

The first dish to arrive was the was the Rainbow Maki. I have to say that the sushi here is unlike those found elsewhere. Plenty of ingredients with less amount of rice. You can really taste the freshness of the fish and hence minimal amount of soy sauce is required. The sashimi rolls are laid with varieties of fish which gives it a very colourful look indeed. This plate of Rainbow Maki cost RM25.

P1100782

P1100784

My son could not resist himself to the Unagi Temaki which cost RM7 each. The  fresh hand roll comes with balanced ratio of rice to the Unagi. The seaweed texture was good. For the price it was offered, it is a STEAL.

P1100787

Hubby choose the Beef Tataki (semi grilled beef slices) @RM25 which comes with a bowl of rice, miso soup and tako pickle. This partially uncooked beef was well seared, without blood oozing out!!

DSC00468

DSC00469

The Seafood Teppanyaki set @RM32 comes with a bowl of rice and miso soup. One can find two big prawns, squid, salmon and a scallop with some mixed vegetable in this hot plate.

P1100796

Next came the little delights of Yakitory, from the five choices of squid, chicken, liver, chicken skin and shitake. Each of this stick is priced at RM3. The chicken and liver are exceptionally flavorful. We added on a bowl of Garlic Fried Rice too.

P1100809

P1100805

Dessert on the house is mocha ice cream and watermelon. Besides these flavours, they also have many more to offer and rest assure, all of them are homemade. Definitely gonna try the rest of the flavours on my next trip here. There is even Tempura Ice Cream! Made me curious, anyone have any ideas?

P1100824

The food is very fresh and delicious. Beside the two set dinner that we had, set lunch is also available. They also have a selection of imported wines. This restaurant opens daily except public holidays. Reservations can be made at 04 2298684.

P1100829

P1100765

P1100831P1100841

P1100770P1100775

There are plenty of parking spaces available on Jalan Chow Thye itself and also behind the restaurant.

i

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 11th, 2008 at 6:36 pm and is filed under George Town, Handicraft, Heritage, Japanese Cuisine, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Seafood, Sights. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

my tummy was drooling all the way when i read through this entry…i could not resist myself esp with the unagi roll… definitely a must try!!! :)

TauSarPhneah´s last blog post..Lebuh Macallum ”Kew Ong Tai Tay” Celebration ??????????????

October 11th, 2008 at 7:05 pm
nathaniel c

its about time what2see pay a visit to isaribi…

i used to just walk in for their sesame ice cream… its da bomb… homemade thats y…

October 11th, 2008 at 7:22 pm

what is the total damage like? i was told it’s kinda expensive right?

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Breeks Café

October 11th, 2008 at 8:38 pm

wow…… the foods look nice. Surely will pay a visit one day. Thanks for sharing with us.

October 11th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Tau Sar Phneah – You sure is fast and usually take the first seat in commenting…thanks TSP! The unagi roll is good.

Nathaniel C – I can’t wait to try out the sesame ice cream that you recommend :)

New Kid on the Blog – Prices are still manageable, the dinner cost around hundred and thirty.

Food Paradise – I am sure you will enjoy your dinner with your hubby in this cozy restaurant.

October 11th, 2008 at 11:49 pm

I like the friendly retired Japanese owner, Yasuyuki Kayashima-san as well. Formerly, that place was a antique shop with a garden outside and western food restaurant if not mistaken serving German food. Even the washroom is facing a rock garden :-D I’m crazy about the sesame ice creams as well :-D I tasted both Black & White Sesame. In his place, I prefer White sesame which they introduced in 2005. The sake range also quite good but be prepare to pay for the price though.

Must try is their Kobe Beef and King Prawn Maki created by the owner himself :-) They still serve those? I also bought several items from him like yukata which are reasonable priced.

Overall, the place is like a ‘home’ ambience you may like to have with wonderful food and attentive hospitality. ;-) itadikimasu!

pixen´s last blog post..Okinawa Spinach (Handama) With Scrambled Eggs and White Sesame

October 12th, 2008 at 6:28 am

Pixen – I have heard a lot about this place…but didn’t know that they serve good kobe beef. Will check it out on next visit and not forgetting the sesame icecream…haha

I love the ambience and also the talk about attentive service in this place. Feel the very relaxing environment which is very different from the usual Japanese restaurant. Will be one of my favourite place for Japanese food!

October 12th, 2008 at 10:29 am

i would love to visit this place… have not seen a washroom facing a rock garden except pangkor laut resort. :)

an idea of how to decorate our home.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Moms Kitchen @ Tanjung Bungah

October 12th, 2008 at 10:44 am

Since CK loves Japanese restaurants so much, why don’t you present us a “TOP 10 Japanese Restaurants In Penang” :D

email2me´s last blog post..Restoran Village Chicken

October 12th, 2008 at 10:50 am

I was expecting exorbitant prices. but instead, RM3 for each skewers, and RM20-RM30 for the sets are worth it. and the ice cream selection had me drooling.
kinda curious to know what tenpura ice-cream is. maybe like the fried ice-cream in Psr Mlm? :)

Motormouth´s last blog post..Ipoh Famous Canning Garden Chee Cheong Fun

October 12th, 2008 at 10:55 am

New Kid on the Blog -The door leading to the washroom is kinda of nice too! I forgot to include it in my post…

Email2me – Visiting the top ten Japanese restaurants in Penang is a good idea…but cost a bomb lor. Wait for a while…haha

Motormouth – I find the prices very reasonable and there are also lots more of dishes with some on the very high end and not to mention the imported wine and sake.

I will check out the tempura ice-cream real soon…haha

October 12th, 2008 at 12:46 pm
Kaya MeeKoo

Oh, this must be the place near that “Tree House” restaurant – Jemput Tree?

Even though, I am not a beef-eater, the beef dish presentation looks alluring.

The ice cream flavours do sound interesting .. and tempura+ice cream?? Sign me up please :-) .

October 12th, 2008 at 7:52 pm

wahhh cannot tahan looking at all the delicious food here!! :p

buzzingbee´s last blog post..Another night of fun – 2nd Floggers Gathering

October 12th, 2008 at 9:09 pm

hmm.. this is definitely MUST TRY restaurant….

Fei Fei love theie mangolacy… heehee…

me?? I love all jap food… love sitting at the sushi bar to enjoy sushi.. hee hee

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Penang Restaurant: FuHo Restaurant – Batu Maung

October 12th, 2008 at 9:22 pm

i love their special and unique ice creams! i think they have sesame ice cream and blue cheese ice cream too! havent been to this place in quite some time. thanks for reminding me abt this place again! :)

October 12th, 2008 at 11:35 pm

Kaya Mee Koo – Looks like both of us just can’t resist the tempura icecream from this restaurant which is just next door to Jemput Tree…haha

Buzzingbee – so must take a drive down there and taste it, also can take plenty of photos too.

October 12th, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Penangtuapui – This place definitely have a nice setting where one can enjoy eating nice Japanese food.
A good place for a gathering too!

October 12th, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Lingzie – You are most welcome. This is also a nice place for a light snack, icecream or even for a drink.

October 12th, 2008 at 11:51 pm
Carole Tan

Hi CK , not only the sesame ice cream.. U should try the wasabi ice cream too …

October 13th, 2008 at 12:54 am

another japanese restaurant that i must try out. i love japanese food. i think it’s time for me to go for japanese food again. i already forgot when is the last time i have it.

food looks nice especially the rainbow maki.

October 13th, 2008 at 2:52 am

First of all, Congratulation on your new home!! With more space and functionality, I hope you can do more, eat more and blog more!!

LY.Tai

October 13th, 2008 at 8:59 am

Unagi handroll! I like it.

How do te beef tataki taste like?

allie´s last blog post..Roasted Goose @ Mongkok

October 13th, 2008 at 10:17 am

Am a fan of this place as well – the portions are huge so I make sure I go in with a growling stomach every time! The sushi’s really awesome and yes, the ice cream menu is such a refreshing treat!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Quintessential Penang, Kafe Kheng Pin, Penang Road

October 13th, 2008 at 10:26 am

Congratulations on your new domain ck lam! I just returned to Penang and will definitely try out this place! It’s too bad I’ve been given strict instructions by my obstetrician to avoid sashimi though :(

Trailing Spouse´s last blog post..Week 10

October 13th, 2008 at 11:38 am

Carole Tan – Nice to see your recommendation. Hope I will be able to try out the wasabi icecream too.

Allen Ooi – The rainbow maki has more ingredients than rice…and the fish is so fresh.

Coketai – Nice to see you again after quite some time. I have been eating a lot lately…eating more, blogging more and growing fat more…haha

October 13th, 2008 at 11:51 am

is that very expensive? I know that the price for japanese food are usually a big hole in my pocket.

Steven Goh´s last blog post..One of the Best Rojak In Penang @ Rojak 101, Esplanade

October 13th, 2008 at 11:57 am

Allie – If you take beef, you should try the tataki. Tender soft slices of beef without veins and very pleasant taste.

550ml Jar of Faith – Their sushi’s are well known for its freshness and taste. Besides that, customers get very attentive services.

October 13th, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Trailing Spouse – Besides sashimi, this place serves many others like teppanyaki, udon and rice sets. Eat what is best for you…everything will be fine.

Glad you drop by my new ‘house’ :)

Steven Goh – The prices are quite reasonable…with set lunch and set dinner.
For twenty plus, you get a hearty beef tataki set.

October 13th, 2008 at 12:19 pm

this place looks nice. but i sometimes have problems wanting to take photos at these places. how do you do it?

duckie´s last blog post..Yau char kwai, ham chim peng & hwa chee

October 13th, 2008 at 3:25 pm

I have been to this place only once a long time ago….the only thing I remember was that it was quite pricey then and nothing really remarkable about the food. They have changed chefs, perhaps?

Foong´s last blog post..Cheap and good hawker food

October 13th, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Frankly speaking, I like the ambience of this restaurant but not the price *Ahem*…

cariso´s last blog post..Shing Kheang Aun Restaurant

October 13th, 2008 at 6:42 pm

wow…the foods looks delicious but I seldom go to such Japanese restaurant as the prices are a bit expensive though the foods are excellent.

so far, the best Japanese foods I had was at Tanjung Prima. There is a Japanese Restaurant facing the low cost flat of the Ivory Condo.

samyeap´s last blog post..They did it again..

October 13th, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Duckie – I do encounter difficulties at times but luckily managed to have some taken but not all of them.

Foong – I am not too sure about the chefs but the food we had on that night was fine. Maybe you could give this place another try!

October 13th, 2008 at 6:48 pm

Wasabi ice-cream…hmm sounds interesting.
Too bad, I don’t take beef. :(

little inbox´s last blog post..New World Park Food Court Again

October 13th, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Wow, this place looks cosy. Good place to enjoy Japanese food.

peteformation´s last blog post..Putu Mayam and Putu Piring – The Authentic Indian Food

October 13th, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Cariso – Ambience and prices is quite subjective when it comes to dining out but I reckon it is worth paying for its good quality here.

Sam Yeap – Prices might be slightly higher but still ok compare to others. Will try out your recommended place at Tanjung Prima.

October 14th, 2008 at 12:20 am

Little Inbox – No worries, as you get to choose to have the chicken or fish.

Peteformation – I agree too. There are not many Japanese restaurant around town that is done up so cozy and warm.

October 14th, 2008 at 12:26 am

Hey, I agree! I’ve been here too…and I was like the last customer. I worked late and we had to scout for some late dinner…and we stumbled upon this place.
For some last minute stuffs, I definitely like it:)

Talk about coincidence, it was also raining when I was there!! Heavily too:D

Christy´s last blog post..Famous Char Koay Teow @ Pulau Tikus Market

October 14th, 2008 at 9:05 am

Hi… just to add a few of my fav japanese restaurants in Penang which i think it’s worth if you appreciate freshness and it’s worth your money. I frequent these places besides Isaribi each time I’m in Penang. In random order…

Sushi Kapyo Miyazaka (P.Tikus) – Seafood is fresh and chef’s creation also. He used local fishes a lot for freshness and he won’t serve a dish if the seafood is not available for that day. I like the way he serves some of his sushi/sashimi set in long glass plate :-D There’s one soup to try is fish cooked in milk. I like the salad served there with tangy taste and topped with Aonori (green tea seaweed) instead of the normal fare with mayo…erk. The chef is friend of Lilian if you read one of her blogs. :-D

Kirishima – Wagyu is very good too. I like the wagyu served on heated stone. Had a surprise when I ordered Kirishima Bento set which food served 2 trays on top each other and Dobin Mushi (Clear soup in teapot). My order took up most of the space I think!

Sumida – I knew them since Pg Mutiara days where they serve semi-buffet japanese cuisine. The Chef never served his raw seafood more than 2 hours on table…he said contamination after that is guaranteed. So, I took his advice and never got sick. Watch out next time at buffet table!

Aji no ren – it’s everyday family fare meals frequent by japanese families. Prices are reasonable and reservation needed!

Matsuki (Cantonment Rd) – serves family fare meals. Price reasonable. Friendly staffs. My family will book a room because compared to other japanese restos in Penang they have bigger (hmm i think biggest) room. Very good if you have toddlers :-D

October 14th, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Christy – Nice to know that you like it too…this is definitely one fine place with good, fresh food in town.
Maybe we could visit this place together when you are back in town and see if it does rain on that day….talking about coincidence…haha

Pixen – Thank you, my friend…for such a fine review of the Japanese restaurants in town. I will visit them to try out the food.

October 15th, 2008 at 11:51 am

I just went there yesterday!! The Salmon Don wasn’t that impressive and I always love to try Katsu Don from different restaurant unfortunately they do not served any. Anyway, the Teriyaki Chicken is good. will go back for more!!

eve´s last blog post..Vintage Bulgaria @ Hillside

October 15th, 2008 at 5:42 pm

What a great discovery for me! Is this restaurant better than the one in Cititel Hotel?

lk´s last blog post..Braised Buddha’s hand gourd with mushroom

October 15th, 2008 at 8:20 pm

wah…so many Japanese Food Fans here! i’m one of them. So poor, no money to venture all the japenese food :P

gill gill´s last blog post..Fun Tea Garden at Jalan Lim Chew Leong Penang.

October 16th, 2008 at 12:05 am

wow…is japanese food…long time din’t eat japanese food alr…when back malaysia sure will go to eat…drooling now… :p

squall´s last blog post..Hari Raya Aidil Fitri Open House @ Inter Continental Hotel Phnom Penh

October 16th, 2008 at 9:10 am

Eve – Thanks for visiting my blog. Will try out your favourite Katsu Don on my next Japanese food outing.

lk – Nice of you dropping by. I have yet to try out the food in the Japanese restaurant in Cititel…it is pending in my list.
Btw…you have a very informative blog full of yummy dishes :)

Gill Gill – No worries …we go for Japanese food once in a while…the food taste better that way, right?

Squall – Nice hearing from you…let me know whenever you are in Penang…can go for makan together.

October 16th, 2008 at 11:01 am

Sounds like a great place to visit. I would bring my Japanese guests there next time. :)

Criz Lai´s last blog post..REVIEW – TYE SIN STREET ECONOMY BEE HOON

October 16th, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Criz Lai – The ambiance is very suitable for a gathering and entertaining guests…especially Japanese guests as the boss himself is a Japanese who is always helping around.

October 17th, 2008 at 10:22 am

Anyone been to Shin Miyako @ Penang Road, next to Oriental Hotel?

pixen´s last blog post..Yakigyoza – Japanese Pan Fried Dumplings

October 17th, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I have seen that place…wanted to try but saw many old folks sitting around the entrance…kind of unpleasant.

October 17th, 2008 at 5:19 pm
soo sean

I had tried few of their ice-cream flavours. They have all sort of ‘weird’ flavours, miso, wasabi etc….
Btw, they do have some dishes which are not in the menu. Next time you can ask for it.

October 19th, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Soo Sean – Thanks for the tip :)

October 19th, 2008 at 7:09 pm

wow… must go n try soon! thanks for the recommendation!

JamieDawnRose´s last blog post..SUMIDA Japanese Restaurant

October 20th, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Jamie Dawn Rose – I am sure you will like this place since you are a great fan of Japanese food :)

October 25th, 2008 at 12:36 pm
Tan

Hi CK my first post in yr blog!! After my vintage car roundup i went for dinner at Isaribi Tei well the food not bad but i love the ice cream the most! Try G Hotel one day with yr hubby then remember to post it here ya!! Keep it up! Send my regards to yr hubby ya!

November 9th, 2008 at 12:10 am

Tan – Nice to get to know you. Will take your suggestion to try out the Japanese food at G Hotel.

Hope to get the opportunity to meet you and your wife one day. Btw…can I get to see the group photo taken during the event?

Hope you have an enjoyable makan makan trip to Ipoh…would be nice to hear about your yummy makan places.

November 9th, 2008 at 12:44 am

Hi CK!
Isaribi Tei does serve really delightful Jap cuisine. Muz go again when i bk in Pg. Just that when I’m bk I’m so bz gorging myself with the local hawker fd! heh.. Luv ur blog..I get reminded of what I’m missing in Pg!! hhaha..

November 11th, 2008 at 7:17 am

Oh.. hw abt a floggers gathering here then?? too bad i missed the last one ;(

November 11th, 2008 at 7:18 am

ahh..juz read atr of your post, and saw that the 3rd gathering is gonna be a pot luck.. how ahh..for us out-of-towners?? Got kitchen to rent ahh? hehhe.. is the date almost decided yet? gonna hv to put it into my calendar so i wont miss it!

November 11th, 2008 at 7:40 am

Rebecca – Thanks for dropping by my blog. Looks like you are also a fan of Isaribi … anyway who could resist tasty and fresh Japanese food in nice ambiance, right?

Will get the date of the 3rd gathering in the coming days and will have it publish then.

November 11th, 2008 at 10:56 am

Can’t wait!

Rebecca´s last blog post..Behind the kitchen at Edeiweiss Cafe, Penang

November 13th, 2008 at 6:47 pm

I’ve been to this restaurant before, just recently! I love Japanese food. :-)

Wan Sen´s last blog post..Orang Asli Village

November 15th, 2008 at 2:39 am

Rebecca – I will be waiting to see your review!

Wan Sen – Nice to know another Japanese food fan. There will be more reviews on this type of food in the coming days…do drop by.

November 16th, 2008 at 1:29 am

last time this place used to be called Flaming Pot right? anyone knows where the folks at flaming pot moved to ah? i missed their food la. used to take wifey there for dates and it’s one of our fav places.

duckie´s last blog post..of photos and postings…

December 11th, 2008 at 3:15 pm
lee Ann

the japenese food there is very delicious..i love the place so much..
Before i one day go twice!

December 16th, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Duckie – I am not too sure about the previous occupant – Flaming Pot.

Lee Ann – Wow…that’s a record.

December 17th, 2008 at 10:28 pm
Sammy

Went there since they started business many years ago. The previous shop was an interior design company operated with the Flaming Pot Restaurant in it. Isaribi Tei took it over with the nice interior decoration. Their food are delicious from raw sashimi to cook food from the kitchen. However i found their food standard and service have dropped since last year. One thing is quite annoying is that customers will be reminded to leave the restaurant 15 minutes before they close. Once, before i even stood up, all lights were switched off and customers were left walking in the dark. Since then, i never step in the restaurant.

January 16th, 2009 at 3:37 pm
Luca

I read some reviews and I went there to book for a pair of events with my customers.
I asked for a suggestion on how to give them the right experience of Japanese food within a human budget.
The Japanese owner said very nervously “we don’t make suggestion” …
I tried the restaurant on the spot: the owner seated us, gave us a pair of menus without any explanation and came back even more nervously to handle orders…
I omit other details about this conversation and how he managed us.
The food was not bad, probably good. But I don’t pay good money some people to make my life worse (and even more my customers).
Maybe the time (lunch time) wasn’t appropriate to discuss about business? Maybe we ran into the wrong person (other personnel looked nice).
Anyhow a deeply unpleasant experience…

March 31st, 2009 at 4:28 am
Yoelyn

Food is good and could be pricey depend what you order. Restaurant is very homey and serene with greenly landscape. Quality food comes with a price. Been there many time and service is impeccable.

April 1st, 2009 at 12:10 am

Sammy – It is indeed very awkward left walking in the dark. Hope they will look into this matter.

Luca – Hope the management will do some thing after reading your comment.

Yoelyn -It is good that you like the food.

April 1st, 2009 at 12:20 pm
Luca

I think owners or managers that say things like “I don’t need customers like you” don’t have a long business-life ahead. The meaning was that if I didn’t want to spend more then 200RM per person I wasn’t worthy of his time. Of course everybody can manage his own time as he prefers. But nobody has the right to lack respect.
In every case, THANK YOU CK Lam, for your hospitality and for your precious blog (that I used to select many other excellent restaurants).

April 2nd, 2009 at 4:09 pm
CH

My favourite Jap resto is Ajinoren at Prima Tanjung. The owner Lysher is very friendly and food is very tasty! Price is also reasonable. I order the eel rice set almost every time :D

April 17th, 2009 at 10:27 pm

i m curious – how many of you went to the restaurant each time? cause u ordered quite many food, can u finish them?

May 25th, 2009 at 6:27 pm

i used to be there for several times too. the nihonjin taukeh is very nice, we have a long talk with him.

May 25th, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Luca & CH – Thanks for sharing the info!

uaik – The family of three…big eaters :) The food was indeed delicious.

May 26th, 2009 at 1:50 pm
Tan

CK just a word of advice abt this Isaribi i would say that ‘DON’T’ go to this place anymore bcoz the Shit Boss looks us Malaysian like an Idiot! Trust me i just had mine an hour back!

July 1st, 2009 at 10:32 pm
Sammy

My husband’s friends, who are the regulars at Isaribi Tei, complained about the boss Kaya Sang! They said he had changed a lot since last year. Weather-like temper and ignore his customers if they don’t order expensive sake or meals. He’s no longer friendly as before. He drinks a lot during working hours. If he continue behave like this, eventually Isaribi tei will close down.

October 2nd, 2009 at 4:22 pm
Discerning Tongue

This is one of the better Jap restaurants I’ve tried so far in Penang. Not the best location but its quaint. Nice slightly robust green tea too. Interesting how a Japanese working from the Pharma industry ends up opening a Jap eatery though! Preferred this over Kirishima, or Kozue (which is cheap but in general disappointing). Looking at the previous posts, probably lucky not to have incurred the erratic wrath of the owner! Good luck! :)

December 22nd, 2009 at 11:08 am
Tidus

The ambience is like high class kopitiam, with songs from FM…..

Rice is really sux, local white rice, n dried 2…

Home made ice cream not special at all, n with RM5 per scoop? I rather go baskin robins…

I wonder y CK Lam gave such high praise to this restaurent, or to be precise, it looks like a kopitiam, the settings, the table arrangement…

I will nvr step in again…

January 18th, 2010 at 11:22 am
Lyn

I would say it’s one of the most consistent (food quality & service) Japanese restaurant and reasonably price. Plenty of parking behind. Try the blueberry topping yogurt cheese cake!

April 29th, 2010 at 10:00 pm
KS

We like the food and ambience for a long time, nowhere do we get such nice garlic rice. However, We also find the owner temperamental, and he never comes over to talk to us, even tho he knows we are regulars. That is ok, if he doesnt like us, too bad. However he seems so busy, hovering over the workers, the guests at the tables, checking on the food etc.
The worst experience was when I brought my friend, to recommend the food to her, but ended up in the owner scolding her “you dont know English?” something over the sliding door at the back garden, when my friend wanted to use the restroom. I thought that is unbecoming of an Owner of a restaurant. ! We dont go there any more, though we miss the food.

July 19th, 2010 at 7:17 pm
Sammy

Try Edo Ichi @ Island Plaza. Great Japanese restaurant owned by a Malaysian. I love their sashimi and goma ice cream. Besides a la carte, great choice of set lunch and set dinner too.

July 29th, 2010 at 2:50 pm
jimmy

The Japanese owner was so rude to us, that nite me n my 2other visited to this restaurant for our dinner, we have no idea it close at 10pm, so we was so enjoying our food until 10.15pm, the owner come n shut down the light then only told us that they are closing and ask us to leave, but at that time we still havent really finish all our food! What kind of services that they provide to their customer? SO RUDE!!!!!

November 23rd, 2010 at 5:59 pm
kah yuen

can i have the contact number for the restaurant?

December 29th, 2010 at 10:10 pm
Cheah

This restaurant has an owner who can be rude. The staff told me the owner “is like that”. I’ve been there once and that’s more than enough for me!

April 22nd, 2011 at 12:50 pm
Wei Ye

Do ask for Horse meat sashami….if u dare to try, u just ask the owner to serve you dishes he recommends but not in menu. U’ll find surprise with awesome experience! But u must eat what he serves, if not he may be show up his attitude.

July 6th, 2011 at 12:46 am
NJK

We were celebrating my friends birthday, sped around RM300 or the food which was ok only and were ask to leave even before we can cut the cake! Unacceptable behavior from the owner.. Utter disgrace

July 23rd, 2011 at 10:13 pm
Juice

I went to Isaribi Tei last Saturday for lunch after hearing rave reviews about it. The ambience was average as it looks more like a high class kopitiam and nothing more. The menu looks extensive, even with a “how to eat our sashimi” section printed on the front page. Me and my other half ordered two set meals and tried some of their sushi. I was shocked to find their raw fish sushi served lukewarm, instead of chilled. The fish was freshed though, just wished that it was chilled. My beef teppanyaki set was even more of a shocker. The beef cubes was cut so small at size of 1cm x 1cm. I don’t know about others, but what I saw in the menu and expect wasn’t served. The taste was bland at best. My other half’s chicken teriyaki don was also nothing much to shout about. All in all, this is a below average Japanese restaurant at high class price. I would rather go to Azuma in QM which is much better in terms of food quality and pricing. I only liked that music played at this place, nothing more.

July 25th, 2011 at 10:25 am
sc_ooi

Anyone tried Cousine Bou at Burma Road? Mind to share your dining experience? TQ

I have not done any review on that Japanese restaurant but do check out the reviews written by other bloggers.

June 3rd, 2012 at 4:22 am
Eileen

Have you tried dining there with children? I had a horrible experience

December 10th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

1. Kirishima Japanese Restaurant @ Cititel, Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 07 2008 / 2pm:

[...] Japanese Restaurant – Isaribi Tei in Penang [...]

2. Penang Japanese Restaurant - Kirishima @ Cititel Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Nov 07 2008 / 3pm:

[...] Japanese Restaurant – Isaribi Tei in Penang [...]

3. Irish Pub & Restaurant, Shenanigans - Penang | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Dec 02 2008 / 3pm:

[...] Tanjung Bungah and Tanjung Tokong. I was lucky enough to have tried the Swiss, Bulgarian, German, Japanese and Korean food around these area and in [...]

4. Isaribi Tei Japanese Restaurant | Best recipes, foods and travel    Mar 03 2009 / 4pm:

[...] are out of our budget. With six of us, I certainly cannot afford Kobe beef, you know? I found CKLam’s favourable review and the prices seem ok to [...]

5. Penang Hawker Food - 127 Burma Road Food Court | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Apr 30 2009 / 12am:

[...] food is conveniently located with its front facing Burma Road and its side behind Jemput Tree and Isaribi Japanese Restaurant. It has a relaxing, airy and clean outdoor [...]

6. Penang Food Bloggers Tasting Session at Ivy's Kitchen | What2See : Best of Penang Food!    Jun 17 2009 / 4pm:

[...] located on Chow Thye Road, Penang.  This pork free restaurant with very basic deco is just beside Isaribi Japanese Restaurant and [...]

7. » Penang Japanese Restaurant List Penang Deli    Sep 13 2009 / 10am:
  8. Penang Japanese Restaurant List Penang Deli    Nov 06 2010 / 10am:
  9. ????? ????? Isaribi Tei Japanese Restaurant | LeAnn Art Workshop - ?2?????    Jun 10 2011 / 3pm:

[...] WHAT2SEE?CKLAM [...]