The restaurant @The Sun  which was opened recently occupies the ground floor corner lot of the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Centre, Penang.  Although it is located in the busy Macalister Road,  the environment is relatively quiet. The decoration of the dining area is charming and inviting with importance given to the textures and colours.

While glancing through the menu, we were served with refreshing glass of welcome drink. The menu has a cool cover for each gender, one for the guys and another for the babes! As it it pretty new, the restaurant only offers  Western Cuisine set meals that is priced at RM28 nett. However, from the 24th November onwards, the restaurant will operate at full swing, which includes ala carte and set meals for lunch & dinner.

Many thanks to my best friend, KS, for introducing this new place to me.

p1120301.jpg

p1120311.jpg

To start it all off, my set came with the soup of the day – Creamy Carrot Soup. Hubby opted for the Caesar salad with Grilled Chicken which he found very taste quenching with its generous serving of fresh lettuce.

p1120297.jpg

p1120310.jpg

Hubby’s main course was the Risotto with vegetable and grilled chicken meat. It was a generous portion of rice with pieces of meat, mushroom and capsicum. He have tasted many risotto dishes through the years, and while he found some places serving risottos which are too creamy, he found this particularly pleasing to his taste buds.

p1120326.jpg

I had the chance to savour the charred grilled Lamb Loin with mint, served with a rather unique garlic mash potato and concassed vegetables. The  tender flavored meat goes well with the potato and vegetables. The dish is garnished with a thin long slice of cucumber. Observe from the second picture, the unique garlic mash potato is shaped similarly like a  round cake. Very delightful change, and its taste did not disappoint either.

p1120331.jpg

p1120334.jpg

As for dessert, we were ushered to their Autumn Lounge/Gift Boutique because they had to prepare the dining area for a tea function. The lounge/boutique has a cozy ambiance with a display of gifts, souvenirs and craft pieces for sale. For more shots of the surroundings of this cozy lounge, and also a glimpse of the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Center, feel free to click here.

Back to the sweet stuff! For dessert, they offered the Baked Banana Pudding with Cinnamon Cream & Mango Mousse cake, with cutlets of fresh fruits. Both were served with freshly brewed coffee. It was considered quite a unique lunch experience for us indulging food in the main dining hall and adjourning to the relaxing lounge for dessert.

p1120400.jpg

p1120359.jpg

p1120356.jpg

This restaurant is open for lunch and dinner daily. Any questions or reservations, feel free to contact Mr Ooi, the MD of the restaurant at 012 451 1710.

@The Sun
Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Centre Penang
65 Macalister Road
10400 Penang

Tel : 04 226 5181

Click here for the Map Location.
GPS Coordinate : N 05 24.961 E 100 19.465

Christmas and New Year just around the corner, I’m really looking forward to it!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, November 24th, 2008 at 11:15 pm and is filed under Dessert, George Town, Penang, Penang Restaurant, Western Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Gosh Sun Yat Seng Memorial with a nice musuem; we have one in Singapore too but I have not been there and neither is there a restaurant within.

Love that pic of grilled lamb loin topped with the cucumber strip on top of the potatos mash. Very nice pics.

JENCOOKS´s last blog post..JU SHIN JUNG (???)

November 25th, 2008 at 12:10 am

it already feels like christmas!!! food looks good. never knew there’s a cafe there!!!

November 25th, 2008 at 7:05 am

This is very new!! Thanks for sharing, it is a great place with a historical memories too;)

Christy´s last blog post..Fish-Head Start for the day at Air Itam

November 25th, 2008 at 8:12 am

looks a bit like fine dining. but at RM28 for a whole set, a STEAL!

i never realised there is such a memorial centre on Jln Macalister though.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Taiwanese Traditional Snacks @ Yong He Soya Milk, Ipoh

November 25th, 2008 at 8:25 am

Jencooks – This is my first time inside the memorial centre, not very big but have most of the info for public viewing. With the restaurant and lounge, it is a perfect place.

Duckie – The lounge was there for sometime but the restaurant is new..

Christy – You are most welcome.

J2kfm – This will be a nice place for you to visit when you come to Penang.

ck lam´s last blog post..@The Sun Restaurant in Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Centre, Penang

November 25th, 2008 at 8:41 am

This looks like a really cool place – definitely worth a visit… cute too that they have different menus for boys & gals?! Affordable prices as well.

Pureglutton´s last blog post..Home-made Crispy Roast Pork

November 25th, 2008 at 9:00 am

wow…. another place to be added to my food hunt. lol Thanks for sharing!!!

FoOd PaRaDisE´s last blog post..XUAN XIN RESTAURANT

November 25th, 2008 at 9:21 am
SimpleGirl

nice place and nice food for fine dining! Thanks for sharing CK. Is it like 32?

November 25th, 2008 at 9:23 am

I’m so glad someone posted about this! My mom’s actually friends with the owner, and business was a slow start when they opened their doors earlier this year with a limited menu. Glad to see that they’re offering more now, and looks good too!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..A pint, or five, Online Pub and Brussels Beer Cafe

November 25th, 2008 at 9:43 am

The lounge looks so comfortable and cosy. A perfect place for dessert with a relaxing mood.

allie´s last blog post..Recipe: Nyonya Layer Kuih

November 25th, 2008 at 9:47 am
Tan

CK how is the food there?

November 25th, 2008 at 10:26 am

The risotto looks so yummy! Yes.. christmas is already around the corner… can see the christmas decoration…. :)

Selba´s last blog post..Mr. Pancake

November 25th, 2008 at 1:16 pm

great findings and I will be there for my coming Friday Lunch..

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Malay Food | Three ‘N’ Ikan Bakar

November 25th, 2008 at 4:50 pm

when i look at the title, i was wondering when did this memorial hall has food to eat?!

anyway, it’s a nice place to dine. :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Strada Restaurant & Patisserie

November 25th, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Pureglutton – The menu was done by the lady owner herself…very artistic.

Food Paradise – You are most welcome.

Simple Girl – Do try out the food, it is slightly different from 32.

550ml Jar of Faith – Its good, customers get more choices with the new dinner menu.

November 25th, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Allie – I too like the environment of the lounge, very cozy with soothing music.

Tan – Those that I had was good…bring your wife along to try out the food.

Selba – The decoration makes the place very warm…love it when its Christmas.

Penangtuapui – Can I join you…haha?

New Kid on the Blog – If my friend didn’t introduce it to me, I would not know about it too. Drop over this place with your hubby…I am sure you will like the quiet surroundings.

November 25th, 2008 at 8:11 pm

aiyah you beat me to this place! lol. a friend also recommended the place to me recently. havent had a chance to go yet. :) looks like a nice place!

lingzie´s last blog post..BigBoysOven Baking in Penang this December!

November 25th, 2008 at 10:59 pm

nice food presentation and the price is very reasonable too for a set of RM28. I will surely go to visit this place. Thanks for sharing

November 26th, 2008 at 10:43 am

I like this kind of restaurant a lot. Quite and relax. Nice deco and food presentation with reasonable price.

email2me´s last blog post..Food Tasting Session at Crystal Jade Restaurant

November 26th, 2008 at 10:54 am

Lingzie & Steven Goh – Be sure to check out the lounge too after dining at the restaurant.

Email2me – looks like we have the same taste when it comes to environment…haha. Add this place to your list.

November 26th, 2008 at 11:13 am

wow.. nice restaurant with nice food! Didn’t notice this place before at McAllister Road

November 26th, 2008 at 2:13 pm

i supeb like the way their present the food~~ all looks delicious & attractive

November 27th, 2008 at 9:29 am

Vkeong – Most people only know the place as SYS memorial hall…nobody expect to find such a nice restaurant inside unless introduce to it.

Shell – I noticed that they have everything very well organized especially on the presentation of the food.

November 27th, 2008 at 10:03 am

HI CK, got news abt the upcoming Potluck gathering..ermm. cos i based in KL now, can i join and i don;t really hv a plc to cook..it is allowable to bring (as in buy) instead?

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..100C Steamboat, Teppanyaki & BBQ at "Niu Zhe Xui" – PJ, Ara Damansara

November 27th, 2008 at 1:46 pm

The Nomad Gourmand – I hv tried to leave comment in yr post… but there is no name url for me to fill in…and most of it is a failed delivery mail.

But anyway, glad that you asked…It is held on the 6th December and places are quite limited as it is held in a friend’s house. You are allow to buy the food too. Visit this website to confirm – http://www.lingzie.com

November 27th, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Nice place and great food! I saw this place before. Got to check it out.

lk´s last blog post..Broccoli – How to blanch

November 27th, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Yay~ new place to eat..hoho
thanks

Eve´s last blog post..It’s a doggie dog world

November 28th, 2008 at 4:17 pm

lk & Eve – Check out their full menu and also the Christmas menu…

December 6th, 2008 at 12:47 pm
kokleong

I had a terrible night dining in this restaurant last week…

there is only 1 waiter serving 3 tables at the same time, my menu took me about 3 minutes to arrive for my viewing and another 10 minutes struggling to place my order.. the waiter just doesn’t seems to able to spot that I am looking at him waiting for him to take my order..
well the waiter is extremely polite and very friendly and they only whisper to you which i find it very difficult to hear him..

the starters are ok but not for our main..

presentation of the foods are superb but not for the taste.. i ordered a seafood risotto and a rack of lamb.. the seafood risotto is not in their ala carte menu however they say they could do it for me..

the seafood risotto they served me was the most terrible risotto ever! first of all, it looks like a chinese fried rice more than a risotto as it is so damn dry, the prawn they given is not fresh and is worst, i mean much more worst than those prawn u can get in they supermarket..
the worst come when i found that this is not a seafood risotto but is a vegetable risotto with extra prawn, mussel and scallops on top of your risotto.. i just wish the chef should know that a seafood risotto is a risotto that used a seafood stock and not a vege stock to cook it.. seriously i can cook even better risotto than what that chef did.

asked for a medium rack of lamb with herb crust but came for an over cooked rack of lamb which is so disappointing for me..

we waited 15 minutes although we are the only table that is waiting for food to arrive but the wait ended up with a sad face on my partner trying to eat every single bite of the risotto that torture her taste bud badly, eventually i am the one who finished up that so called “seafood risotto” while she took mine slightly better food to swallow..
my partner doesn’t like to complain a lot so we just swallow what ever is on the plate and leave that place asap.. and to be honest this is the only restaurant I never tips in my whole life!

sorry to say this… I will never be back..

sorry ck didn’t mean to spoil ur review.. hehe

December 27th, 2008 at 11:27 am

Kok Leong – It’s alright, all comments are welcome. It was a bit disappointing to hear it but hopefullly the management will look into it and can improve from there.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday and a Happy New Year 2009!

December 28th, 2008 at 12:09 am
Lisa

Hi,
I was introduced to this blog by my sister as I ran out of idea where to bring my husband for his birthday dinner, so she referred me to your blog for idea… it’s interesting and I came across this restaurant…. and my husband has always wanted to try out something new…. so I gave it a try… boy, it was very disappointing indeed….

We had curried pumpkin soup, it was okay… then for main, I had the lamb and it was bad…. hard and kinda tasteless…. and my husband had the salmon, it was okay….
but the environment wasn’t as what was described by your blog, sorry to say the environment was rather “cold” i must say…. nothing like 32….
as what kokleong experienced, I had the same experience… there was only one waiter, even though there was only two tables service was rather poor and slow…

Right after we finish our main, we can’t wait to leave the place, didn’t even want to stay for dessert… Not going to this place again, and not going to recommend to anyone…

January 8th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Lisa – Nice of you to share your views with all of us. Looks like you are the second person that is not happy with their services and food. I never imagine that this place could deteriorate so fast when it is just recently opened :(

January 8th, 2009 at 11:17 pm
Sammy

I’m a fan of heritage buildings. Never know that there is a fine dining restaurant inside the Sun Yat Sen Centre. Will visit this place soon. Thanks for your informative blog.

January 16th, 2009 at 5:04 pm
Andrew Lim

I was compelled to write as contrary of the above two comments, my experience at this restaurant was wonderful. Especially as it was this site which introduced this lovely restaurant, truly one of the secrets of Penang!

On 3 January 2009, our party of 11 had a fantastic meal. While the cream of tomato soup was substituted for a French onion soup, we were well informed by the waiter who attended to us immediately upon our arrival.

I had the grilled chicken and even though I prefer other parts of a chicken, the grilled chicken breast was tender and tasty. The accompanying vegetables were nicely prepared, the capsicums retaining their crunchy texture yet caramelized to perfection. The mashed potatoes were obviously freshly prepared without that pasty commercialized flavor.

Some of my guests had the luxury of savoring the delightful flavor of the salmon which was grilled to perfection. Everyone delighted with the ambience, presentation and delightful fresh flavors, only had words of compliments.

We were treated to a surprise choice of an extra dessert, blueberry cheesecake which made a perfect ending to a sumptuous lunch. We were subsequently shown the Autumn Lounge which makes a lovely setting for tea some day! Looking forward to my next visit and enjoying a delightful meal here at this cozy treasure trove.

January 27th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Have heard about this restaurant for times. I am going to try it out tonight with a Taiwanese friend.

September 4th, 2009 at 3:21 pm
Yik Chin

Recently went to the Sun Restaurant and had set lunch with my husband. The food was terrific. We had a starter, main course, dessert and coffee. The price was RM22+ (after discount for senior citizen). The main dining area was full so we dined inside the display room that sells painting and antiques. Very nice ambience. We will definitely go there again.

February 22nd, 2010 at 12:33 pm
Sean

I cant wait to go there to taste the scrumptious meal

June 22nd, 2010 at 3:32 pm
kristii

hi had my birthday dinner with my bb on last week conjuncation with father day. Thus , there only serve the father day menu which it really impress me very much on from the starters to the desserts. The food was so delicious . i love the seafood soup so much it really help up my appettie and also the desserts on choc cake and mango cake. ( wonder is it was homemade??) I given 5 stars the food rating. The pricing is total reasonable. I would said u guys receive more than the value you paid. I will intro more and more ppl to go there !!@@@@

June 23rd, 2010 at 12:53 am
AJ

I went to The Sun with my family to celebrate my dad’s birthday this evening. The ambiance is quite nice, dim lightings, quiet and cosy environment.

We were only given the set dinner menu to choose from, which we were led to believing that they only serve the set dinner priced at RM42 nett. (After we finished our meal, only i found out that they do have ala-carte menu but they did not give us during ordering)

The rest of the people ordered grilled salmon and grilled chicken, my sister ordered the rib eye steak and I ordered the grilled lamb loin.

The salmon and chicken were okay but nothing special.

My lamb loin was just so so with a slight hint of smell. The meat was not tender, a lot of veins / tendon making it difficult to bite, shows that the chef does not know how to choose the right meat / handle the lamb loin properly. And I also think that the lamb was not too fresh.

The worst was the rib eyed steak as I think it was not fresh too! We ordered a medium rare steak. It should be juicy and tender but not at all!!! Yes, the meat was grilled and cooked on the outside, and u can see that the inner part of the meat is raw but when u cut it, there is no juice coming out, instead it was very dry and the inner part of the meat was discoloured (very dark red) instead of the vibrant, eye-catching pinkish / red which a fresh and good quality steak should have.

Also, the food is not even hot when it’s served, more towards luke warm and gets cold very fast! I think some of the food were cooked but not served immediately, it gets cold in the process of waiting. As we hv 9ppl and they wanted to serve the food all at once.

For me, freshness of food is of utmost important especially when it comes to beef and lamb. Therefore, The Sun cafe disappoints me greatly! As it is very dangerous and could cause food poisoning if the meat is not fresh, since most ppl would like their steak to be grilled to medium-rare / rare to enjoy it.

If u still wanna visit this place for the ambiance and don’t mind the price, go for it! But I’d suggest u avoid the beef and lamb totally! The service is still quite good afterall and I suppose u will not go wrong with the chicken / fish but don’t expect anything spectacular. The cake is quite nice for dessert. And they do have a 20% discount for senior citizen.

April 17th, 2011 at 1:05 am
Fan of The Sun Restaurant

ah.. the sun moved.
I went today. It’s empty.
They say moved to sungai pinang if not mistaken.
But I’m not sure where is it when the sun yat sun people tell me as I don’t have sense of direction.
the business will start on Jun 2012