My first post of 2009!

To start off the year, we decided to dine at a new eatery recommended by my friend Liang, called Blue Reef. This restaurant is located in the folds of Lebuh Lembah Permai, Tanjung Bungah, Penang. It serves up fish dishes alongside other western food. As the restaurant has just started a few weeks ago, they kept the menu “light and easy.”  Among the items available currently are the fish, chicken and pasta.

The deco is simple and neat with indoor and outdoor seating’s too. We had ours outdoor as it was a pretty chilling and cool night.

img_0433.jpg

We had the Paprika Soup, which is the soup of the day – RM8. The soup is accompanied with a bread stick.  Do check with the kitchen as the choice changes daily. Choices include fish soup and another speciality, ginger with carrot. Sounds interesting!

img_0383.jpg

Fresh Garden Salad RM6 with my choice of Italian dressing. Refreshing indeed, with those baby tomatoes topping it off.

img_0399.jpg

Pan Seared Salmon & Mediterranean Couscous with Tomato Confit RM19 – You may be wondering what on earth Couscous is? It is actually a type of Pasta, steamed and subsequently stir fried to taste. Highly recommended on your first visit.

img_0405.jpg

Grilled Baramundi (siakap fish) with Dill (herb) potato and beans – RM19. Grilled to perfection, the fish was indeed delicious and just rightly done. The potatoes were very rich in taste, as it was mixed in sour cream and cheese sauce. Good accompliment to the blanched beans. Interesting taste with an added dash of mint sauce.

img_0425.jpg

Service was attentive even for us sitting outdoors. Drop by this restaurant which is run by the owner cum chef, Christopher and his partner, SL Lee. It is located in the same row as Home Style Restaurant. All these shops share a wide pavement facing the airy open playground. Click here for the Map Location.

img_0381.jpg

img_0442.jpg

Blue Reef Fish & Chips
Permai 32, No.22 Lebuh Lembah Permai 4
11200 Tanjung Bungah
Penang

Tel : 04 8999128

Business Hours : 11.30am – 2.30pm & 6.30pm – 10.30pm
Non-Halal
Payment : Cash Only
GPS Coordinate : N 05*27’16.38″   E 100*17’25.4″
Closing Day : Monday

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, January 2nd, 2009 at 12:12 am and is filed under Penang Restaurant, Tanjung Bungah, Western Cuisine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

such a name and place to have my fish, defintely a place I love to dine on my next trip! Happy New Year CK! from us both S&S!

bigboysoven´s last blog post..

January 2nd, 2009 at 12:38 am

wow…. the foods look nice. And the price are very reasonable. Will drop by one day when I am in that area. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Restoran Pan Mutiara

January 2nd, 2009 at 1:00 am

Wow you got there first!! I actually know the owners and when they talked about opening a few weeks ago, I promised myself to blog about it before anyone else, haha! Too slow-lah. The food looks good… I was expecting the menu to be just fish and chips!

550ml jar of faith´s last blog post..Fishing for Attitude at Song River, Gurney Drive

January 2nd, 2009 at 8:54 am

Happy New Year to you and your family :)

The restaurant is nice especially you can sit outdoor, but no mosquitoes? hehehe…

Selba´s last blog post..Ta Wan (2)

January 2nd, 2009 at 9:22 am

Wow! Another new restaurant at Lembah Permai area uh! Same row with Annabelle right? No sight of spaghetti?! Hmm…..

cariso´s last blog post..Inconsistency in Vegetarian Noodles (Soup)

January 2nd, 2009 at 9:31 am

You’ve added the GPS coordinate. Fully utilize your gift huh :)

The price is not too damaging and the food looks yummy.

Allie´s last blog post..Penang Hawker Food | Beef Koay Teow @ Chulia Street

January 2nd, 2009 at 9:49 am

What interests me more is the environment actually

January 2nd, 2009 at 11:21 am

another nice ambience dining place…but seems a bit pricey!!

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Portugese Settlement – Melaka

January 2nd, 2009 at 11:36 am

you should give it a try on the lime sherbet when you drop by again next time…

January 2nd, 2009 at 12:37 pm

oopss… sorry i mean lime sorbet… typo…

January 2nd, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Blue Reef was just opened in mid December. It is run by the loving couple Chris & Swen. They are quite passionate about their food and business.

Couscous is made from semolina wheat and finely ground wheat flour. Traditionally you would need to steam the couscous, but now it is very easy. One just need to soak it in hot water with some salt and oil, and it is ready.

Jason Wong´s last blog post..Tang Yuan – A Meaningful Winter Tradition of D?ng Zhì (a.k.a Winter Solstice)

January 2nd, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Happy New Year ck!!~
I must say this is a great find!! I love fish and we were just thinking of where to eat lately…this is definitely one new place for me:)

Christy´s last blog post..A Wedding Dinner in JB

January 2nd, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Big Boys Oven – Thank you guys for dropping by.

Food Paradise – This outing is only me & hubby, so can’t really order much. There are plenty more choices on the menu.

550ml jar of faith – The owners are very friendly and they did mention that they will soon be adding in more items to the menu.

Selba – Thank god, there ain’t any mosquitoes around although it is facing an open field.

Cariso – They do serve spaghetti too, with a few choices in the menu…check them out.

January 2nd, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Allie – The gift is very useful…does provide another method of showing directions to my readers.

Vkeong – It really is an ideal location…quiet away from town and facing a big well maintained open field.
Do drop by this area as there are also other food outlets.

Simple Girl – The prices are still not too bad, based on the freshness of food, attentive services and the quiet location.

Mabel – Lime sorbet sounds refreshing … thanks

January 2nd, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Hmm..i wanted to blog bout this place as i know the owner..Too bad, u always beat us all to it :p

Eve´s last blog post..2008 to 2009

January 2nd, 2009 at 4:15 pm
abel

great place to eat ok! awesome haha

January 2nd, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Jason Wong – It is my first time eating couscous. Its a good combination to the salmon fish. Great of you sharing the info…thanks.

Christy – Do share your review after your visit to this place…I hope to know more of their other dishes.

Eve – It would be very nice to see your review too :)

Abel – Have to go for more visit as there are many more to try out.

January 2nd, 2009 at 6:35 pm

oh the salmon looks yummy.
You are really great in finding places to dine :)

January 2nd, 2009 at 8:45 pm
Andy

I have eaten here before and I highly recommend it to those who have not.

I like the Olio Pasta and Paprika Chicken! Very very yummy!!!

January 3rd, 2009 at 12:52 am

This is quite a healthy dine out. :)

little inbox´s last blog post..American Breakfast @ Restaurant Super Star, Sungai Petani

January 3rd, 2009 at 12:15 pm

nice place with nice food!!!

duckie´s last blog post..Christmas Day Lunch & Dinner

January 3rd, 2009 at 5:31 pm
Daniel Chee

I’ve brought my family to this restaurant before as it is near where I live, thumbs up to the people there as they are very attentive and the dishes there are yummy! Highly recommended to try the paprika chicken and olio pasta.

January 4th, 2009 at 2:08 pm
modar

well, i love their soup!!!!!
they change daily…
i had potato & leek dat day..
it was so nice…slurrp…
must try!

January 4th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

new place??? only accept cash??

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Christmas’ Gift from Westin KL

January 4th, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Buzzingbee – Do give this place a visit, I think you might like it.

Andy – Thanks for your recommendation.

Little Inbox – Its a good change from other western food outlet.

Duckie – Worth paying a visit.

Daniel Chee – You are the second reader recommending the paprika chicken & olio pasta. I am sure to try it out.

Modar – Potato & leek sounds interesting…

January 4th, 2009 at 5:32 pm

New Kid on the Blog – Might not know…they could have credit card payment soon. At the meantime, it was written on the counter as cash only lor.

January 4th, 2009 at 5:39 pm

The food looks good and healthy too. How’s the couscous ? Never had it before. Would be there soon.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..A Taste of Thai in Prontip………

January 4th, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Hi CK!! Happy new year! yalorr..late but been bz over the last week ;p
But now i’m back!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..Crazy Christmas at KY’s of KYspeaks.com

January 5th, 2009 at 10:21 am

oh wow…another addition to one of my friend’s list. He’s into such eating style as he’s not a cook and single LOL

Thanks for the review. Can’t wait to be there!

pixen´s last blog post..Curry Chicken in Kaffir Lime Leaves

January 5th, 2009 at 11:09 pm

i noe where is it.new my hostel there…but never go there having my meal.

Juann´s last blog post..

January 7th, 2009 at 3:56 pm
wendy

the environment is nice, but food so so only. because the sauce is modified from ready make source. I thought the blog info from a so called reputable blogger is with truth and integrity. But in reality is more like creating publicity for a known person….one side info.

January 7th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Sweet Jasmine – Couscous is a food that I had not eaten before and I find it alright.

ThenomadGourmand – Good to see you around…waiting to see your post.

Pixen – You are always welcome. Would be nice to know your friend.

Juann – Give this place a try as its so near to your hostel.

January 7th, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Wendy – Thanks for dropping by my blog. Sorry to hear about your bad experience at this place.

Hope you get your facts right before you comment. Looking at my post, I believe I DID NOT mention that the owner makes their own sauce. And I am so surprised that you assume that I am doing a biased review for a known person. All reviews in my blog including this one are done in accordance to me and my husband’s personal taste with truth and integrity.

January 7th, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I truly agreed with Andy & Daniel Chee for the delicious Olio Pasta, and it was in the salty side for lightly taste bud person. As i like salty food, so its was perfect to me…hee. Will try out their paparik chicken in the next round.

Wendy, alot of the restaurant does not make the sauce from scratch. It is very subjective and depends on your personal requirement for the food. Ofcourse not all the food items from the restaurant is the best, but some of the specialty would be good. May i know what did you ate from the last visits?

gill gill´s last blog post..Coliseum Cafe Serving Old School Hainanese Dishes, Local and Western Cuisine

January 11th, 2009 at 5:27 pm
kopi

Hi CK,
Do you have a clearer map of this place? I plan to visit it, but not too sure of the place.

January 12th, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Gill Gill – Do share your review on the paprika chicken after you have tasted it.

Kopi – I have added the google map in the post but it is not a updated map by google. Do follow the map using Lebuh Lembah Permai 1. You will see a row of shophouses on yr right. Once you reach the end of it, turn right, you find another row of shops just behind it. Turn right into the row of shops and you will find Blue Reef in the middle of the row on your right. It faces a big playground.

January 12th, 2009 at 3:35 pm
kopi

CK,
Is Jalan Lembah Permai where Summer Garden situated?
Is Lembah Permai 1 before of after Summer Garden?
Thanks ya…

January 13th, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Kopi – Lebuh Lembah Permai 1 is before Summer Garden if you use the reservoir hill road.
Summer Garden is at the junction of Lorong Lembah Permai 3 and Jalan Lembah Permai (refer to the map).

January 13th, 2009 at 3:17 pm
Sunsun

Thanks, for adding the Gps coordinates. Sometimes i found myself lost when i trying to look for those nice restaurant. Now i won’t get lost again as i can add them to my favourites in my GPS. Any nice food blogs on PJ / KL sites? Going down there to cari makan.

January 16th, 2009 at 5:33 pm
kopi

CK,
I found the place..
Nice food with reasonable price…
Went on a weekday and surprise to see half of the restaurant full…
Thanks for sharing good places of delicious food with us :-D

January 17th, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Sunsun – Have not gone that far into adding GPS for those places…will do so as time comes. Do bear with me.

Kopi – Cheers…happy to hear that you managed to locate the restaurant.

January 18th, 2009 at 7:10 pm
Bris77

Hi CK Lam, after reading some of your posting, I chked out this place immediately :) I ordered Pan Seared Salmon & Mediterranean Couscous with Tomato Confit .. it was jolly good and yummy! It is really up to my high expectation! I tried the Aglio Olio with Prawn too.. kinda dry.. thus need some improvement! Overall, it’s worth my trip there! Thanks fr your review!

February 15th, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Bris77 – Happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal. Do try the Fish & Chips too…

February 15th, 2009 at 11:46 pm

I love Couscous and it’s my replacement for rice. It’s made from same ingredient as Pasta-semolina (grounded durum wheat & it’s the same we used in Sugee cakes,etc but finer grains) or in some countries is made from grounded barley, pearl millet and even maize (sweetcorn) called polenta. You can find couscous in Middle Eastern, Mediterranean & European dishes like Tabouleh, K?s?r, Couscous aux Herbes de Provence.I preferred semolina to polenta with lots of lemon juice. Not all people like it though :-)

pixen´s last blog post..Chicken In Creamy Tomato Sauce

February 21st, 2009 at 3:02 am

Pixen – Its a nice change to have the Couscous…which is only available in certain outlets in town. My hubby and myself like the Couscous from Blue Reef.

February 22nd, 2009 at 11:11 pm
Yoelyn

Food was good, simple & straight forward + healthy not oily (except fish & chip – deep fried but that’s their house specialty should give it a try) Nothing fancy but reasonably price. Been there twice. Service & quality still consistently good. It’s located at nice & peaceful neighborhood.

March 31st, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Yoelyn – Glad to know that you had a nice meal.

April 1st, 2009 at 1:27 pm
yee

looks good……
i will try and see……

April 2nd, 2009 at 6:23 pm
Jelly in the Sea

Their portions are very generous too :)
yum~

June 6th, 2009 at 10:21 pm
Samath

I went there last week with my friend, we SOUP, CEASAR SALAD, FISH & CHIPS and 4gt what CHICKEN, otehrs are OK but the fish was not fresh!!!!

July 13th, 2009 at 12:03 am
Mickey

i found it! the picture make me hungry thou lol

September 1st, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Greetings from Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
Finally got your link from my mate Jeffrey… you know who? Just to say what an excellent restaurant serving fish & chips and italian food (as good as in the UK, even better…..!) I have highly recommended to a few of my friends from UK who will be visting Penang next month. Keep up the good work and good luck for the future. See you guys in May 2010.

January 17th, 2010 at 2:20 am
Chloe

Blue Reef Fish & Chips has now moved to Straits Quay :)

February 15th, 2011 at 12:35 pm