I’ve always made it a point to visit Kuala Lumpur several times a year, as the cuisines are different from what we get in Penang. The  taste and ways of cooking are unique as well. We made our way down to Sek Yuen Chinese Restaurant just down Jalan Pudu during Chinese New Year. We started off with the traditional Yee Sang, and indeed it is different from those served in Penang.

img_2886.jpg

The raw fish is marinated in ginger strips and their own blend of powder mixed and subsequently added into the yee sang. We also find the vegetables for the yee sang to be very fresh.

img_2911.jpg

img_2914.jpg

First came the Roast Duck, which is better known as the Pei Par Arp. It is delicious, a totally different style from Penang’s version. The sour plum that came together with the duck is a perfect compliment. This is one of their signature dishes.

img_2952.jpg

Next is the prawns stir-fried with chili and tau cheong. Only one word to describe this. Fantastic and very tasteful indeed. The rice comes steaming hot in individual aluminium bowls (seen on the background).

img_2949.jpg

img_2947.jpg

No meal is complete without ordering the fish. We had steamed fish in ginger blend. The servings of the ginger on top of the fish is indeed generous. The fish is taken out of the steamer at the right moment, very nicely done. Excellent dish to go with rice.

img_2934.jpg

Our last dish is the Sweet & Sour Pork prepared with cucumber, tomatoes, onions and pineapples. The gravy is not too overpowering, but with just the right  balance of sweet and sour.

img_2930.jpg

The bill came up to approximately RM 168, very reasonable for such delicious food. Hubby managed to take a shot of the naked sun-bathing ducks being prepared for roast at the back of the shop.

IMG_2892 IMG_2970

IMG_2971 IMG_2979

img_2878.jpg

If you are ever in Kuala Lumpur, make yourself down to this place for a blast into the past. The food there is never a let down on any day. Check out the other air-conditioned outlet just beside the building. Parking spaces are limited by the sides but you can try finding some parking spots at the back lane.

Sek Yuen Restaurant
No.313-1 Jalan Pudu
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel : 03 92229457

GPS Coordinates: N 3 08′ 08.7″  E 101 42′ 44.6″

Check out this other reviews :

A Whiff of Lemongrass
Lots of Cravings

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 19th, 2009 at 8:10 pm and is filed under Chinese, KL / PJ, Restaurant. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Yen

Hi, I have dinner there b4. It’s so nice even though the restaurant so old. Roast duck is so delicious, the food nice but cheap too! Must try!

February 19th, 2009 at 8:42 pm

yes..this outlet is VERYYYY famous for its gd old true-blood chinese cuisine!

thenomadGourmand´s last blog post..The re-launch of Tamarind Hill Restaurant, Kuala Lumpur

February 19th, 2009 at 10:05 pm
WeyL

Oh I know where is that! :D :D me and my friends walked past sek yuen once at about 4-5am in the morning and they were playing real oldies music, such a classic restaurant! =)

February 19th, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Yen – So, this is an example of old is gold…haha

ThenomadGourmand – Need for revisits as there are plenty of tempting dishes.

WeyL – Its nice to see such a classic place still existing in the busy main road of town. You should try out the food too.

February 19th, 2009 at 11:00 pm

The food looks really nice and cheap by KL standard.

Sweet Jasmine´s last blog post..License To Rob……

February 19th, 2009 at 11:47 pm

good home-cooked style food.
but gotta bring a crowd to fully savour the dishes ya?

parking’s a mess, right? normally passing by from the opposite side.

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Sungai Petani Day 2 – LeBOSS Cafe and Restaurant

February 20th, 2009 at 12:09 am

the Pei Par Arp is calling me now… omg.. can’t tahan liao….

duck here i come…

PenangTuaPui´s last blog post..Hawker Food | Air Itam Market Koay Chap, Apong & Roti Canai

February 20th, 2009 at 8:05 am

The foods look delicious. Wonder when is my next trip to Kl. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSe´s last blog post..Cameron Seafood Restaurant @ Ayer Itam

February 20th, 2009 at 8:21 am

This is a very very old n famous restaurant. in KL. They use charcoal to cook their dishes. My in-laws held their wedding dinner here – about 1/2 century ago!!! Unfortunately, I can’t find the right timing. Looking at your mouth-drooling photos, I must make it a point for my next KL trip. Hehehe! Will see whether we can meet up in KL in your trip.

lk´s last blog post..Braised taro with dried shrimps

February 20th, 2009 at 10:04 am

The yee sang with the raw fish is so interesting. I’ve never tried yee sang in my life…. hope someday, I’ll have the chance to try it :)

Selba´s last blog post..Donat Kentang (Potato donut)

February 20th, 2009 at 10:04 am

The prawns and Gu Lu Yok, sweet n sour pork look good. I must check them out…thanks for sharing

SimpleGirl´s last blog post..Tg Tualang – Fresh Prawns

February 20th, 2009 at 10:16 am

If folks up north can visit I better go taste it. The duck seems to have all the qualities of a winner. KLitee are used to the familiar and convenient neighbourhood mall.

Chin´s last blog post..Jade Palace – Bandar Sri Damansara Club

February 20th, 2009 at 10:28 am

The Pei Par Arp and steam fish looks so inviting! Make me wanna go KL now…

allie´s last blog post..Penang Restaurant | Xuan Xin at Gurney Plaza

February 20th, 2009 at 10:44 am

Sweet Jasmine – You hardly find this type of prices for such good food…try it on your KL trip.

J2Kfm – Really can’t savour all their dishes on one visit. This place is a must revisit for me.

PenangTuaPui – I am sure one whole duck is not enough for all the tuapuis…haha

Food Paradise – Look out for the school break next month.

lk – The taste of the food is some how different from those that we get from the restaurants nowadays.
Love your idea of meeting up…

Selba – Do arrange a trip to Malaysia during the Chinese New Year…that is the time for the yee sang dish.

SimpleGirl – The prawn dish is a killer…for me, the gravy is good enough to go with the rice.

Chin – Its my personal opinion of the food…do try it. You might find other dishes that you can introduce to me too.

Allie – Don’t miss out the prawns…its delicious.

February 20th, 2009 at 10:56 am

Great blog, nice write-up, and I really like the photos too :-)

Cheers!

Julian Si´s last blog post..Peng Heong Hakka Pai Kut – Pork Chop Legend!

February 20th, 2009 at 11:03 am

this is the typical cantonese style of yee sang. they must be using the sang yee (in cantonese). and this is my favorite compare the salmon which mostly restaurants are using it now.

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Hoong Tho Restaurant ????

February 20th, 2009 at 12:24 pm

We wanted to try out their specialties when we at KL last December, but to few of us and not enough time.

You have yet to try their specialties from the looks of it!

Jason Wong´s last blog post..Queensbay Mall Shoplot for Sale

February 20th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

thenomadGourmand,

The next time when we are in KL, we would definitely try out this place. We would like you and Food POI to join us. Or else cannot finish!!! Really! This stop will be sufficient for the day.

Jason Wong´s last blog post..Queensbay Mall Shoplot for Sale

February 20th, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Julian Si – Thanks for the comment…hope you will drop by for more updates.

New Kid On The Blog – You are right, they don’t use the common salmon fish like in other restaurants…and this is already worth the visit. The best yee sang dish that I had so far.

Jason Wong – Even a visit with orders of 15 dishes also not sufficient to cover all their dishes…sure must have revisits lor.

February 20th, 2009 at 4:08 pm

The yee sang is really different from the ones we had in Penang. Its the fish as we usually used raw salmon fish. Other dishes looks delicious.

Food Promotions´s last blog post..Advertorial

February 20th, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Wow! FOod hunt till KL…..so jealous leh me! :)

cariso´s last blog post..Sake Room V-dinner

February 20th, 2009 at 9:16 pm
Tan

Way to go CK hunt till KL! But i think PJ there more interesting foods la! Next round we go Melacca there also a lot of interesting places!

February 20th, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Everything just looks so yummy! Especially the duck.

little inbox´s last blog post..Subway Sandwiches & Salads @ Auto-City

February 21st, 2009 at 3:44 pm
Food Lover

Hi! You’ve got an interesting websites. Talking about Yee Sang, i would like to recommend you to try the Yee Sang at Chok Dee Thai Restaurant at Burmah Road next CNY. Its something very different from the traditional Yee Sang most of us took. Its very appetizing.

February 21st, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Food Promotions – Looks like its a good idea to visit KL during CNY.

Cariso – Consider taking some time off your work to go for makan trip.

Tan – Need to stay a few more nights in KL to venture out to more food outlets. Revisit to Melaka is a must too.

Little inbox – It goes well with the sauce.

Food Lover – That’s a good idea…yee sang from a Thai restaurant.

February 22nd, 2009 at 9:38 am

The restaurant certainly looks very traditional. The tables and chairs are so similar to the ones we can find in Old Town, Ipoh. :) Charming :)

iamthewitch´s last blog post..Wholesale market in Beijing

February 23rd, 2009 at 8:49 am

The last time we were there (after they were being interviewed by the Astro Ah Xian) they charged really exorbitantly! I blogged about it sometime back.

Angeleyesr´s last blog post..#6 and #6 Photo Meme

February 23rd, 2009 at 9:10 am

Iamthewitch – The ambiance is different and so is the taste of the food.

Angeleyesr – Maybe they couldn’t cope with the sudden surge of the crowd. From what I see from your blog, the food does not look appetising.

Do give it a try again…my meal was indeed good.

February 23rd, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Here no need to wait for CNY only can LOU SANG!

We can LOU anytime you like! That’s the best part …. and you need a big party to visit them. If not, cannot order much dish.

February 23rd, 2009 at 5:35 pm
yen

what is the meaning of sek yuen actually??

April 2nd, 2009 at 6:40 pm

email2me – That’s a good idea.

yen – I am not too sure but I know they serve delicious food.

April 2nd, 2009 at 11:47 pm
-bOb-

the food there is really nice… been there few times… but not on CNY though… there’s something historical and nostalgic about the settings… nothing fancy but just plain tasty!

May 12th, 2009 at 5:32 pm
Sharon

What is the operating hours? Want to visit them during weekdays if possible.

The place is open for lunch and dinner too. Do give them a call for confirmation of time.

January 16th, 2011 at 12:07 am
forever

how do i get there if i stay in times square? not by walking or driving.

March 7th, 2011 at 4:46 pm
Liew Pow Choo

My father used to be a regular customer as we are staying Jalan Kenanga during 70….He take us that for dim sum every Sunday. Never miss. The most precious memories is that my older mom lost me in the restaurant. I was just 3 to 4 yrs old. Is a long story. Sek Yuan serve the best Dim Sum is my life.

July 17th, 2011 at 4:04 pm
Liew Pow Choo

I love this restaurant for their foods & memory that was very precious. TQ for being a part of story.

August 6th, 2011 at 1:24 pm