Penang has a number of Korean BBQ restaurants and lately we saw the arrival of Daorae Korean BBQ Restaurant in our shores. The outlet opened in the middle of May, less than a month ago occupies two shoplots in Penang Bayan Point. Daorae operates by the motto ‘the customers is always right’, thus their main objective is to provide good services to their customers. We had a hearty meal there recently.

img_3305.jpg

Recently opened on the 14th of May 2009, the restaurant holds a pleasant and welcoming ambiance. The restaurant is divided into two sections, the upper floor which houses the Tatami style seating while the lower floor are the regular seats, generally for non-smokers.

img_3286-1.jpg

A plus point for Daorae is that every table comes equipped with a cooker hood, which sucks up most of the smoke. It means there is no unpleasant bbq odour lingering on the customers, nor the restaurant. Amazingly, they opted to use charcoal as the heating element, which I personally have an extra liking for as I find the dishes to have a more authentic taste compared to their gas-stove counterparts.

img_3107.jpg

img_3103.jpg

To our delight, there are numerous items on the menu and an even wider choice of BBQ items! We opted for two different types of meat, Hanhang Dweji Wang Galbi and Wang Gal-Bi. Both cutlets are specially hand filleted and marinated by the Chef.

The Hanbang Dweji Wang Galbi@ RM35 is pork ribs, marinated in special Korean ginseng and herbs extract and sweet soy sauce. I personally find this my favorite dish for the night! The pork was marinated to taste, and after being delicately BBQ-ed, the juice and tenderness is still well-trapped in the meat. Oozing with goodness all round, we had that wrapped with lettuce and it was totally awesome.

img_3240.jpg

Pork rib was lightly seasoned

img_3271.jpg

Perfectly grilled succulent pork

Wang Gal Bi @ RM55 is beef short rib, marinated in heavenly sweet soy sauce. Through our conversations with the Head Chef, we learned that the Beef Ribs are marinated in their ‘secret sauce’ and grilled lightly to avoid over cooking! Unlike other places where the beef could be tough & overcooked, Daorae grilled it to perfection and went very well with either rice or lettuce wrap!

img_3120.jpg

We get to enjoy the company of Daorae’s Head Chef (seated) alongside the CEO himself, Mr Steve Cho (standing). Besides sharing both their insights about Korean cuisines, Steve was personally on-hand attending to our grill. It was indeed a privilege, Thanks Steve!

img_3128.jpg

img_3131.jpg

The well-marinated meat turned out fantastic, and we also learned from Steve the proper way of indulging on the BBQ meat. He recommend placing a succulent piece of grilled meat that is dip in a slight salty oil on top of the lettuce. This is follow up with a slice of BBQ-ed garlic that is dip in a  chili bean paste sauce. He made it a point to have the lettuce folded up as small as possible so as to enjoy the goodness and the juice of the meat at one go. Yummy!

img_3153.jpg

Tantalizing succulent barbeque beef

img_3182-1.jpg

A perfect wrap with a piece of meat, bbq garlic & Daorae’s sauce

We were served with some complimentary Korean soup which changes daily! Tonight we enjoyed the beef  soup. Fresh cuts of vegetable for the wrap were served out, rounding up the BBQ dishes.

img_3201.jpg

The dinner started with numerous choices of banchan laid on the table. According to Steve, Malaysians are luckier as they get to enjoy eight or more banchan to compliment the main meal unlike in Korea; the restaurants usually serve a total of three to four banchan. The replenish banchan in Daorae’s are largely based on vegetable and seafood with four standard items and the remaining changing daily.

img_3197.jpg

Among the banchan we enjoyed for the night was the bali tung (very unique dish, but amazingly it is widely eaten in Korea!), gigantic bean sprout and bayam veg, pickled radish, macaroni and fish cake, and last but not least, Korean picked vegetable, better known to everyone as kimchi!

IMG_3168 IMG_3169

IMG_3171 IMG_3173 IMG P1150422-1

Besides the BBQ dishes, Steve also recommend this two side dishes, one of them was the Nakjee Bokkum @ RM30 which was stir-fried sliced small octopus with assorted vegetables in spicy chili sauce. It was an excellent compliment with the rice, and the octopus is very much different from those Lidako in Japanese Cuisines! The octopus was not tough, very well textured and the spices really brought up our appetites.

img_3148.jpg

The tofu soup, Soon Dubu Jjigae @ RM17 is cooked in a spicy broth together with seafood and comes with a bowl of rice. The point which I would like to highlight is that this soup is spicy, but not chili hot. The spiciness is very appetizing.

img_3216.jpg

All customers on that night got the privilege to enjoy some complimentary seafood pancake. Simple yet tasteful with the texture very well done, and the sauce was just a joy dipping into!

img_3161.jpg

Savory Pa-jeon (pancake) with fresh seafood

The Korean tea that was served during the dinner was an enjoyable drink, with a slight burnt taste and was refillable. We were quite curious as to what this drink was made from. Steve was kind enough to show us that the drink was actually brewed from baked corns imported all the way from Korea!

After our hearty meal, we were served with some watermelon and ‘rice drink’.  I have been to a number of Korean restaurants and noticed that all of them serve watermelon? Is it a tradition, because of the red color or a norm in Korea?

IMG_3203 IMG_3291

Although Daorae is only opened barely a few weeks, this restaurant is getting very popular with a long waiting queue seen on that night. It’s better to make a reservation in this restaurant. There are ample car parks along the service road. Click here for the Map Location.

IMG_3298 IMG_3297

The staffs were very polite, very friendly service, bowing as we made our way into and on leaving the restaurant. This courtesy indeed brings a smile to each customer, making Daorae a real pleasant place to enjoy delicious Korean Food. Penangites will be hearing a lot of this restaurant as they are planning to open more outlets in Georgetown in the coming future.

Daorae Korean BBQ Restaurant
15-2-G, 2-1 & 2-2 Bayan Point
Medan Kg. Relau
11900 Penang

Tel : 04 6402616

Open Daily

Business Hour : 12pm-3pm (lunch) & 5.30pm -11pm (dinner)

GPS Coordinates : N05 1957.0   E100 1740.5

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 at 10:59 pm and is filed under Bayan Lepas, BBQ, International, Korean Cuisine, Penang, Sights. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Always loved the BBQ….

superwilson´s last blog post..Firefly Watching Viewing @ Firefly Park Resort, Kuala Selangor

June 3rd, 2009 at 1:10 am

I think the management of the restaurant is doing a great job in building its customer relations.

Alan´s last blog post..Village

June 3rd, 2009 at 1:17 am

wow! did they ask you for an autograph! you are our famous foodie!

I just love the food form this restaurant, we go there this coming end june!

Shall we head to Sunny San’s photography class this 27 june?

Big Boys Oven´s last blog post..Jimmy & Sherene Wedding Cupcakes | Golden Phoenix, Equatorial Hotel Kuala Lumpur

June 3rd, 2009 at 6:33 am
Kaqi Hung

Mention of car parking space, don’t have parking space during office hour espeacially near Hong Leong Bank, parking at night is hard to find on the weekends. How much is the average check per person ?Like Canton-i they show you how much per person spends. Thanks.

June 3rd, 2009 at 8:49 am

WOw! You had so many food! I just had those BBQ meat with banchan, and I’m so full d :P

allie´s last blog post..Penang Restaurant | DAORAE Korean BBQ Restaurant (Part I)

June 3rd, 2009 at 9:23 am

wow, second post i am reading abt this place…must b a hit in penang huh…good place for BBQ lover….and i love the pancake..thin and with lots of ingredient

June 3rd, 2009 at 9:33 am

superwilson – They have many outlets in KL. Btw…give me a call when you reach here this weekend.

Alan – Indeed different…more upclose with the customers.

Big Boys Oven – We can go makan together if you happen to be up in Penang. Kindly update me with particulars of the photography class that you just mentioned.

Kaqi Hung – I was there before the 7o’clock crowd and easily got a parking space. This restaurant has a bill with all the food prices and a final total, no individual prices for per person.

allie – My family are great eaters. We did not have the refill banchan…we mostly go for the bbq meat.

SimpleGirl – It is a popular restaurant…good food & reasonable too. There are plenty more items to try out.

June 3rd, 2009 at 9:48 am

my fave Korean restaurant-love their banchan.

foodbin´s last blog post..BUBBA GUMP SHRIMP CO.

June 3rd, 2009 at 10:04 am

I really enjoy looking at your snaps of the korean food pictures! I’m soooo craving of Korean food!

Selba´s last blog post..Batagor & Siomay

June 3rd, 2009 at 10:17 am

after reading your post and allie’s post .. must go try it.

Jane Saw´s last blog post..Simple homecooked meal

June 3rd, 2009 at 10:28 am

Nice pic of the red hoat coals… Now, we know the dinner was piping hot, haha! :)

Life for Beginners´s last blog post..50 First Movie Dates

June 3rd, 2009 at 11:28 am

Wow, Daorae is in Penang now! Been to Daorae quite a few times in the Bandar Puteri Puchong, KL, it was really good. Does the Nakjee Bokkum comes with Korean rice cake? I think I saw it in the photo, am I wrong?

Sugar Bean´s last blog post..Albany Fish Bar

June 3rd, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Wow, thanks for introducing this restaurant to us! Your photos are great, especially the charcoal one. I like that they use coal instead of gas – gives that extra bit of flavor.

Everything looks so good. How awesome that you were feted by the head chef and the CEO.

Nate´s last blog post..Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Ultimate Backyard Lu’au

June 3rd, 2009 at 4:01 pm

getting real prof already…. like your review. :)

New Kid On The Blog´s last blog post..Feringgi Grill

June 3rd, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Wow! I wanna go and try out soon! I’ll avoid ordering those less spicy one.

cariso´s last blog post..??????? (Te Chang You Tiao Wang) Invited Review

June 3rd, 2009 at 6:52 pm

so lucky you Penangites! to get a famous Korean restaurant chains from KL to Penang … why oh why do they have to skip Ipoh leh …?

J2Kfm´s last blog post..Proclaiming my Undying Love …. Curry Mee, anyone?

June 3rd, 2009 at 7:58 pm

the pork rib and tofu soup looks amazing!!
really nice photos you have. :)

buzzingbee´s last blog post..A simple meal at e KiA

June 3rd, 2009 at 8:13 pm

foodbin – Their banchan is very tastefully done…a hot favorite among the customers.

Selba – Thanks for your comment :)

Jane Saw – Do call them up to make a reservation before you go.

Life for Beginners – Indeed hot but luckily the air con is cool enough to provide comfort for the customers.

June 3rd, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Sugar Bean – The plate of Nakjee Bokkum in Daorae does not come with rice cake.

Nate – Thanks for your comment. Looks like we prefer food cooked using charcoal fire.

New Kid On The Blog – Thanks, New Kid :)

cariso – They might look reddish hot but infact they are not that spicy.

J2Kfm – No worries, you can try out the food at this place on your next Penang visit.

buzzingbee – Do try the tofu soup…not that spicy but very tasty with fresh seafood.

June 4th, 2009 at 12:02 am

wow.. i wanna try.. look so nice..

JamieDawnRose´s last blog post..Revisit to Smoky Jack

June 4th, 2009 at 12:21 pm
Bella

I must agree that food are really good but I’m totally disagree with their motto: Customer Is Always Right. I visited with my family on the first day they opened and I believe we were the 1st batch of customer. We were told that all the drink will be free flow to celebrate the opening. But when we would like to order the 2nd bottle after we finished, they pretend they never heard it and when we reminded them again to bring us the Shoju, they said: you guys have enough tonight !!! I went again with my colleagues last night as they wanted to try, guess what’s the experience we got…. they cleared our table even we haven’t finished our food. We brought the laptop and intend to transfer the file just a while, the waiter brought us the bill straight away without we asking for it!! What kind of service is that ?? They told us they are many customers tonight so the table is needed !!! I was really really pissed by their service, not once but twice. I hope you guys be careful if thinking to dine there, behave yourself and don’t overdrink or over eat or over spend your time. Thanks.

June 4th, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Quite a big outlet!!! Btw I not yet try Daorae :(

mimid3vils´s last blog post..The Wok Cafe

June 4th, 2009 at 3:34 pm
Edward

cheap and cheerful then lousy service

June 4th, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I saw this new korean restaurant too, haven’t try it out yet.. Thanx for introducing the must have dishes! i’ll know what to order when i visit DAORAE!

June 4th, 2009 at 6:50 pm

I agree with J2Kfm, those good restaurant always skip Ipoh. We dun have good Jap buffet here only can eat those in KL or Penang. Authentic Korean food lagi tak ada. :)

Ck , thanks for such a good review!

Elin´s last blog post..Chrysanthemum Tea Jelly

June 4th, 2009 at 10:05 pm

This is really a very interesting post. Well done!

food-4tots´s last blog post..

June 5th, 2009 at 9:57 am
Carole Tan

I really loved this shop , Steve is indeed a very nice man …. thanks for the pics… and reminds me of the tofu soup…oh my ….!

June 6th, 2009 at 8:36 am

Bella – I hope the management will get this feefback and look into it.

mimid3vils – Weekends are more crowded, do make a reservation if you are going at that time.

Edward – Certain things tend to occur when the place is new and packed. The place is new, give them some time to get things done.

sakaigirl – Hope you have an enjoyable outing in Daorae…

Elin – This is a good suggestion for the management of Daorae to look into – setting up one in Ipoh :)

food-4tots – Thanks…waiting to see you on this weekend.

Carole Tan – You are most welcome :)

June 6th, 2009 at 9:59 am
Alex

Although they are polite but their services are sucks. The food is not authentic at all and the portion is small.

June 9th, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Alex – I would like to know what are the dishes that you had in Daorae that is considered small portion to you. As far as I can see on that night, most of the portion are quite reasonable.

Btw, in your opinion which restaurant in Penang do you think serve more authentic Korean food?

June 9th, 2009 at 4:11 pm
Jason L.

WOW, Daorae has finally arrived in Penang!

I usually go to the one in Hartamas, KL. I like the concept and ambience at Daorae. The food is quite authentic as well. No doubt my favourite Korean restaurant around here. Glad to know that they have one in Penang now!

It’s unlikely that I will visit the one in Penang though cos whenever I am back in Penang, I only eat my favourite Penang hawker food and chu chars. hehehe

June 9th, 2009 at 7:31 pm
Charlotte

I cannot imagine how could a restaurant to prompt the customer the bill before they were asking for one. I realized there is only ONE waiter can speak better English and he will always be the one running around to take orders and comment. The manner of this guy simply ‘impress’ me as, he’s quite rude in certain way.

June 13th, 2009 at 1:04 am
David

went there tonight… food is good and authentic. service is so so… true enough that they will send you the bill immediately after you finish the food. The guy who take order is too serious and quite rude..

September 12th, 2009 at 10:37 pm
SuYin

Food is not bad. But the service is pretty lousy i must say. We went for dinner yesterday and they quickly brought out the food and cleared the table as soon as we finished and brought out the bill and shooed us away stating they need the table. I mean, I have not been to a restaurant where the customers are shooed away.
Pretty bad customer service. Won’t go back anytime soon. And the waiters can’t communicate well!!

October 12th, 2009 at 3:30 pm
PIGGY BANK

huh? brought out bills?? It never happen to me before.. I have been there for nearly everyweek.. looks like daorae is my regular dinner place now…lolx.. i do says that maybe most of you go during the weekends which is pack of ppl.. why don’t you try to go during the afternoon or weekdays.. i am sure you will see a better service there… You can’t blame them for chasing you b’cos “customer is their 1st priority” you are the customer so do those waiting outside as well.

DAORAE is going to open their biggest branch in Malaysia soon. It is located at TANJONG TOKONG .. just next to petronas … Their Kepong director is going to handle that branch.. isn’t it good news that Penang finally got two daorae?

October 13th, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Piggy Bank – Thanks for the info!

November 30th, 2009 at 2:04 pm
JT

be prepared to splash out, went wt mum n family (7 of us) to the one in Tanjung Tokong, and we ordered quite a bit because I wanted to treat mum. i felt we were ‘rushed’, i mean one minute we were waiting for the food…the next minute….everything came ALL at the same time. the staffs tried to be pleasant and nice but I had to ask them to slow down and wait for for my cue to bring the food. I tend to stay longer in nice restaurants and chit chat a bit otherwise i might as well hav KFC.(so it’s no excuse tht if there are many customers during the weekends, the restaurant should not have overbooked, they should think abt the table turnaround time, so not my prblem)
the BBq experience could have been better, I was not asked how I wanted the beef steaks (I half jokingly asked them if they could read my thoughts). the rest of the bbq is ok but i preferred thm a bit charred just to taste the bbq. Charcoal is nice but it’s dangerous to be handled and take in and out on the table. i personally didnt find it to taste any different fr a gas stove/bbq. again, service is too quick.
the korean taukay offerred my daughter a canned korean pear juice which was a nice touch.
the bill came to over rm500 with drinks and we were done in just under 1 hr. Too quick if u ask me again.

Overall Food taste > 3.8/5 (some dishes were too small of a portion eg the stir fry cuttle fish/sotong! the seafood pot was too oily).

Overall Service > 3.5/5 ( very attentive but food was served too fast, to c indian/bangladesh staffs greet you n say bye bye at the door in korean wil get some use to)

Children friendliness > 4/5 (ample car park space, men toilet has low reached wash basin which I like but beware of the charcoal)

Overall experience > 3.6/5

will I visit again

Why not.

February 15th, 2010 at 3:13 pm
jenny youn

MR. Steven Cho is NOT the CEO of Daorae.

my dad, Mr. Yoon is ….
Mr.Cho is my dad’s best friend. helping out.

May 1st, 2010 at 12:52 am
ELS

My favourite korean restaurant . The young boss is very handsome and friendly too . ( Bayan Baru Branch )

September 21st, 2010 at 2:27 pm
ELV

I would rate this restaurant 4.9/5, the food is good taste, reasonable price & comfortable environment. Most important, the boss and staff service is extremely perfect. I like to go there and always recommend to my friends.

October 14th, 2010 at 8:02 pm
shi

My first impression was the waiter who can speak better English is very rude. 1st, when we just reached the dining area he started to complaint that we shouldn’t come at this time because is their REST TIME. 2nd, he is quite rude while taking order. 3rd, they send you the bill before we asking for it (we are halfway eating). 4th, they gave us 5 minutes to finish our food after we paid. They will staring at you along this times. Lucky we didn’t get choked. What kind of service is that? Really pissed me of. Anyway,I will say the food is excellent, reasonable price and comfortable dining area.

December 19th, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Pg

Yesterday i went to Daorae, Tanjung Tokong with family. The service is very terrible and disappointed. Everyone is not happy of having the meal.
1) He is very rude when taking order.
2) We ask for refill small dishes few times but no action (only refill 1 time)
3) No serve daily soup, pancake, ‘rice drink’. Already change management?
I don’t willing to pay for service charge as service is not good at all. This is the worst service that I ever have in Daorae.

November 10th, 2011 at 9:54 am