Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com

Sweet deep fried snack!

Deep fried fritters are one of the cheapest yet absolutely delicious tea time snacks. There is a hawker stall along Weld Quay selling a variety of these deep-fried fritters which is one of Malaysia best tea time snacks.

Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com

There’s even the deep fried Jin Tui (glutinous rice ball) with a chewy texture surrounded by sesame seed and filled with crushed peanut and sugar in the center. This snack has always been my absolute favorite! The coating of sesame seeds gives extra flavor and nice crunch to it. This Jin Tui was particularly good!

Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com

Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com

A basketful of deep fried “lek tau” balls which is essentially filled with sweet green pea paste!

Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com

Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com

Next up was the “everyone’s favorite” snack… The Goreng Pisang! The deep fried bananas are prepared with a crispy light batter and generally appeals to most customers. It is tough to resist this banana fritters bursting with sweetness.

Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com

Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com

Besides that, the stall also sells the deep fried tapioca! Not many stalls have this deep fried tapioca nowadays. The mashed tapioca is formed into rolls before deep fried. It has a warm creamy texture and a distinctive flavor.

Goreng Pisang and Fried Fritters at Weld Quay, Penang by what2seeonline.com

Click here for the Cucur Kacang and other fritters…

Pages: 1 2

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 7th, 2010 at 12:37 am and is filed under Chinese, George Town, Hawker, Penang, Street Food, Tidbits and Snacks. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

this one not bad, just difficult to get place to park at weld quay area….

January 7th, 2010 at 7:26 am

good food for snack or breakfast. I like the fried yam & sweet potato.

January 7th, 2010 at 7:33 am

PenangTuaPui – I have to park right opposite the side road and walk all the way to get my hands on those hot yummy snacks…worth the walk :)

hApPy HaPpY – Yam and the sweetness of the potato goes hand in hand… indeed tasty.

January 7th, 2010 at 8:09 am

wah awesome for tea, salivating now! see you at Carven!

January 7th, 2010 at 8:32 am

Didn’t know that they have jin tui leh! I’m sure gonna try that out!

January 7th, 2010 at 9:21 am

their tee kuih very thick leh…

January 7th, 2010 at 9:37 am

fattening stuff but i love them! :)

January 7th, 2010 at 9:42 am

Big Boys Oven – Looking forward!

allie – They replenished the sold out items quickly. I was lucky to see them making the Jin Tui and having a hot one just out of the kuali.

NKOTB – More gooey, taste better for me ..

ai wei – Me too :)

January 7th, 2010 at 10:15 am

good and delicious jin tui are quite rare.

January 7th, 2010 at 10:29 am

Finally! This stall is much better than the one in Tanjung Bungah.

January 7th, 2010 at 10:34 am
smart

Jin tui is also my all time favorite. Is this stall better than the one at Free School?

January 7th, 2010 at 10:57 am

foodbin – It is not easy finding a good one as most are big and has little filling.

Jason Wong – I would say each of them has their own specialty.

smart – Both stalls have certain items that I like and Jin Tui is my favorite from this stall. Will take you to this stall the next round.

January 7th, 2010 at 12:11 pm

i love this stall’s banana fritters!! and everything else they sell actually… heeheehee

January 7th, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Eh I haven’t seen or tried before fried lek tau! Is the filling similar to those inside tau sar peah? They looked good!

January 7th, 2010 at 2:06 pm

good to eat but will make our body heaty, haiz~~~

January 7th, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I think CK, you would’ve known I like all these snacks, more than full meals themselves. :)

January 7th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

lingzie – Sometimes they do not have all the items ready… at times have to wait.

iamthewitch – The lek tau is similar to those inside the tau sar pneah and the texture like the Jin Tui.

mimid3vils – Can always balance it with some cooling Chinese drinks…leong char. There is one good leong char shop in Kimberley street.

J2Kfm – I know you can’t resist these snacks, neither can I :)

January 7th, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Hi CK – I stumble across your blog by chance, from Twitter. Great insight on Penang food.
I have never been to that side of George Town for many years.

The fried fritters and Tan Jetty’s Thai eating house (from earlier post) are a must in my next visit to Penang in CNY. I am getting very hungry now. Thanks.

January 8th, 2010 at 8:53 am

my favorite is always fried cempedak!

January 8th, 2010 at 3:16 pm

CK,

I agree. It is like people they have their own character and motives. I second your comment that each individual stall has it own specialty, not everything is good. Thus, when we comment, it should be objective and fair without sugar coatings of sort.

January 8th, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Wah, so many goodies in one stall. Love the glutinous balls with fillings. Wonder how much for each ball. Bought some from the new food court at Queensbay @ Rm 1.40 each recently.

January 9th, 2010 at 4:12 pm

HUHUUUUUUU!!! my favourite !!! i like fried stuff norhx exspecially the ‘d’n kuih’ xd~*

January 9th, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Victor – Nice having you dropping by. Do drop me an email of your next trip back to Penang. Will guide you to some yummy food.

xin – I did not come across any cempedak on that day. Must ask them if they do sell this item.

Sweet Jasmine – I can’t recall the price but I am think it is definitely less than what you paid for at Queensbay. Give this stall a visit to try out the fried goodies.

coco – The fried items are yummy…mine is the Jin Tui :)

January 9th, 2010 at 10:30 pm

wow… nice… I know where should i get any deep fried snack in the afternoon. lol

January 9th, 2010 at 11:25 pm
hong

nice…gonna try it~!

January 11th, 2010 at 12:24 am

Thanks, CK. I will keep that in mind. Cheers.

January 11th, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Wah… all that golden goodness… not very healthy but oh so irresistible! :D

January 13th, 2010 at 5:06 pm

What I love most about this stall is they sell something that I cannot find in other deep-fried snack stalls : Deep fried bread with corn. Super duper yummy!

Check out the picture I took of it some time back:

To me, that one item is what differentiates this place from the tonnes of stalls selling similar items all over Penang.

Sadly, this place only starts operating from 2pm onwards. So can’t head over during lunch time unless your lunch time is super late.

January 18th, 2010 at 10:12 am
christine

hey everyone, thanks for the comment… our stall have:-
yam rm1
ti kuih rm0.80
jin tui – coconut rm0.80
– peanut rm0.80
– green nut rm0.80
sweet potato rm0.70
tapioca rm0.70
buah sukun rm0.70 (special)
fried banana depend on the type
corn bread rm0.50
‘ho sua ji’ rm0.50
banana ball rm0.30
(kuih kodok)
fried cempedak depend on the size

so total have 13 tpye of snack, and sometime also have ‘fried po piah’… the ‘BUAH SUKUN’ is a buah, the taste is more nice than sweet potato, but not always available….. i have saw the comment say that sometime no place to park urs car, urs can call 016-4679910 this number to order n tell us the time earlier 30mins b4 reach and ur name or ur car number or wat company, because sometime have too much order v will very blur… those who wan buy the jin tui, try not come around 3pm-4pm, because that time really very busy… very sorry to u all~ and thanks for support… ^^

March 18th, 2010 at 1:08 am
Kevin

Hi… Found this by chance. I normally go for the one at green lane. But the stall seem to have vanished, the last time I was back. Going back again soon and hope you can recommend some nice hokkien mee and ban Cheng kuih. :) thanks.

June 7th, 2011 at 2:13 am
Kevin

Sorry.. Where is this stall again? Which part of weld quay? Thanks.

The stall is nearby Tan Jetty in Weld Quay. In fact you can find all the info on page 2 of the article.

June 7th, 2011 at 2:15 am